|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Annie use when talking about healing time?
2. What tool does Annie use to kill a cop?
3. What does Annie offer to the men when they come inside?
4. Who manages to get Ian to stop and listen to reason?
5. Where is Misery surrounded?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul explain the process of writing to Annie?
2. What was so strange about Paul's obsessed fan? How did Paul react?
3. Describe the scene in which Paul dreams about Carl Wilkes' death.
4. Discuss the things Paul is given while in the cellar. What is Paul without until Annie returns?
5. What does Annie bring to Paul to celebrate the completion of the writing?
6. What does Paul mean when he says he has become his own Scheherazade?
7. Spring finally arrives. How does the seasonal change affect Paul?
8. At this point, according to Paul, for whom is he writing the story?
9. What happens after Paul screams?
10. How does Paul feel when he tells Annie the book is finished?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paul Sheldon is in tremendous pain after the accident. Discuss the medication Paul receives from Annie. What is the medication? Does the medicine really exist? What type of medication is it? When is Paul given the medication? How much does Annie administer? Where did Annie get the medication? What type of side effects does Paul experience from taking the drugs? What happens if Paul misses a dose?
Essay Topic 2
Annie's compulsions and obsessions are clearer than Paul's issues. Compare and contrast the obsessions and compulsions of each. Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
As a child,, Annie and her brother often went to Saturday afternoon matinees that featured cliffhangers. What is a cliffhanger? Is each a complete movie/story? What is the genre? Why was going to the movies a favorite activity for Annie? What about the movies upset Annie? What is Paul's explanation of the technique used in the movies? Give examples of the cliffhangers. Include examples of deus ex machina.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)