|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What might prohibit the plainclothes detective from pulling his gun?
2. Approximately how many pages has Paul completed thus far?
3. Annie is sure that everyone around knows about which of the following?
4. Annie will not permit Paul to do what while he is in the cellar?
5. Where does Annie's alibi claim she went?
Short Essay Questions
1. Over the next few weeks it is relatively quiet at the Wilkes house. Describe the author's view.
2. Describe the scene in which Paul dreams about Carl Wilkes' death.
3. Discuss the things Paul is given while in the cellar. What is Paul without until Annie returns?
4. At this point, according to Paul, for whom is he writing the story?
5. What does Paul say that changes Annie's attitude, at least temporarily?
6. Why does Annie leave Paul in the cellar?
7. Where does Paul go after escaping the bedroom? Why?
8. What does Paul keep saying to himself when the troopers arrive?
9. What was so strange about Paul's obsessed fan? How did Paul react?
10. What does Paul mean when he says he has become his own Scheherazade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Annie's obsession with Paul. What is the basis of the obsession? Do you think Annie is obsessed with Paul, Misery or both? How does Paul react when Annie says she is Paul's number one fan? How far is Annie willing to go to get what she wants from Paul? Does Paul realize the extent of Annie's obsession? Do you think Annie is mentally unstable? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Several times throughout the story Paul attempts to placate Annie. What does it mean to placate someone? What is the purpose? Why does Paul attempt to convince Annie he is on her side? What actions does Paul take? Does Annie fall for the ruse? Explain. When Annie seems to go along with Paul, is she doing so to lull him into a false sense of security? Or, does she truly believe Paul's intentions are geared toward her happiness and well-being? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
People in Sidewinder refer to Annie as the Dragon Lady. Why do the locals hate Annie? How does Annie feel about them? How does Annie do business in town? Where does she go? Do the people in Sidewinder know about Annie's past? What information do the locals have? Have there been any charges brought against Annie in her hometown? Is there any proof that Annie has done anything wrong since returning to the town? Discuss.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)