|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie wants to know more about what item?
2. What color is Annie's lawnmower?
3. Annie says that the men will come back with __________.
4. What word does Annie use when talking about healing time?
5. Where does Annie's alibi claim she went?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annie leave Paul in the cellar?
2. Explain the book found on the coffee table in the living room. What does the book contain?
3. Explain the exchange between Geoffrey and Ian regarding Misery's predicament. What happens to Ian's plan?
4. What does Paul say that changes Annie's attitude, at least temporarily?
5. How does Paul feel when he tells Annie the book is finished?
6. What is the main change in the way Paul works? What has caused the change?
7. How does Annie's behavior change drastically during this time?
8. What does Paul mean when he says he has become his own Scheherazade?
9. Discuss the things Paul is given while in the cellar. What is Paul without until Annie returns?
10. Over the next few weeks it is relatively quiet at the Wilkes house. Describe the author's view.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Annie Wilkes. Who is she? What is her profession? Discuss her personality. Write a complete character description of Annie Wilkes. Discuss how her obsessive behavior rules the story. Examine her obsession with Paul Sheldon and Misery. Also, compare her to other crazed fans.
Essay Topic 2
Write a complete character description of Paul Sheldon. Who is Paul Sheldon? What is his age? What is Sheldon's profession? Why is Sheldon in Colorado? What is Sheldon's purpose for drinking Dom Perignon? Explain how Sheldon gets involved with Annie Wilkes and "Misery's Return." Also, discuss what happens to Paul after he returns to New York.
Essay Topic 3
Annie Wilkes' farmhouse is in rural Colorado. Examine King's use of Colorado as a setting for the book. Why do you think King chose Colorado? Why do you think King did not use Maine, his most common location? Does Sidewinder exist? If so, is it anything like the location in the story? Explain. Discuss the pros and cons of using Colorado as a location. Also, discuss the pros and cons of placing Annie's farmhouse in the countryside. How did it change the plot? What might have been different if Annie lived in town? Explain.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)