|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The cops comment on what about Annie's house?
2. How much money will supposedly be requested for Paul's next book, no matter what it is?
3. Where is the hospital located?
4. Paul becomes obsessed with counting __________.
5. Who attempts to hold Ian back?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Paul question if Annie is really dead?
2. Discuss the things Paul is given while in the cellar. What is Paul without until Annie returns?
3. Describe the scene in which Paul dreams about Carl Wilkes' death.
4. What does Paul say that changes Annie's attitude, at least temporarily?
5. At this point, according to Paul, for whom is he writing the story?
6. Over the next few weeks it is relatively quiet at the Wilkes house. Describe the author's view.
7. Explain the book found on the coffee table in the living room. What does the book contain?
8. What happens after Paul screams?
9. How does Annie's behavior change drastically during this time?
10. Paul tries to explain "the gotta" to Annie. What is the gotta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a complete character description of Paul Sheldon. Who is Paul Sheldon? What is his age? What is Sheldon's profession? Why is Sheldon in Colorado? What is Sheldon's purpose for drinking Dom Perignon? Explain how Sheldon gets involved with Annie Wilkes and "Misery's Return." Also, discuss what happens to Paul after he returns to New York.
Essay Topic 2
Annie Wilkes' farmhouse is in rural Colorado. Examine King's use of Colorado as a setting for the book. Why do you think King chose Colorado? Why do you think King did not use Maine, his most common location? Does Sidewinder exist? If so, is it anything like the location in the story? Explain. Discuss the pros and cons of using Colorado as a location. Also, discuss the pros and cons of placing Annie's farmhouse in the countryside. How did it change the plot? What might have been different if Annie lived in town? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Paul's view on the Misery books. What is Paul's opinion on the books that have made him so rich and famous? What is Paul's plan for Misery? How does Annie change Paul's views? Also discuss Paul's new book, "Fast Cars." Compare and contrast it with the Misery series. Why does Paul want to switch genres? Do you think "Fast Cars" will be as successful as the Misery series? Explain.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)