|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Paul becomes obsessed with counting __________.
2. Annie will not permit Paul to do what while he is in the cellar?
3. How much money will supposedly be requested for Paul's next book, no matter what it is?
4. What weather condition crosses Paul's mind first in this section?
5. Annie tries to do what to Paul as he is making his escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main change in the way Paul works? What has caused the change?
2. Explain the exchange between Geoffrey and Ian regarding Misery's predicament. What happens to Ian's plan?
3. What is Paul's biggest fear after the incident involving the troopers? What does Paul say to Annie?
4. Paul listens as the cops talk to Annie in the living room. What particular aspects about the conversation gives Paul hope?
5. Why does Annie leave Paul in the cellar?
6. How does Annie's behavior change drastically during this time?
7. Describe the scene in which Paul dreams about Carl Wilkes' death.
8. What was so strange about Paul's obsessed fan? How did Paul react?
9. What happens after Paul screams?
10. What does Paul mean when he says he has become his own Scheherazade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annie's compulsions and obsessions are clearer than Paul's issues. Compare and contrast the obsessions and compulsions of each. Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Paul's view on the Misery books. What is Paul's opinion on the books that have made him so rich and famous? What is Paul's plan for Misery? How does Annie change Paul's views? Also discuss Paul's new book, "Fast Cars." Compare and contrast it with the Misery series. Why does Paul want to switch genres? Do you think "Fast Cars" will be as successful as the Misery series? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Annie Wilkes. Who is she? What is her profession? Discuss her personality. Write a complete character description of Annie Wilkes. Discuss how her obsessive behavior rules the story. Examine her obsession with Paul Sheldon and Misery. Also, compare her to other crazed fans.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)