|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie says that unless Paul burns "Fast Cars" she will no longer give him any ____.
2. Where does Paul find Annie's stash of drugs?
3. What causes the accident?
4. Paul dreams of which fictional character?
5. What other character is referenced in connection with Misery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul think about Misery and the direction his career is taking as a result of the best selling series?
2. What causes Paul to cry in the bathroom? What happens next?
3. How does Annie describe herself to Paul?
4. Spring finally arrives. How does the seasonal change affect Paul?
5. What happens after Paul screams?
6. Explain the book found on the coffee table in the living room. What does the book contain?
7. What does Paul come to realize in regard to the Novril?
8. Why does Annie handcuff Paul? What does Annie do to keep Paul quiet?
9. What happens to Paul's physical well being? What do the doctors say?
10. Explain how Paul knows how to pick locks. Paul begins to escape from the bedroom after he managed to pick the lock. What did Paul forget to check?
Essay Topic 1
Examine Annie Wilkes. Who is she? What is her profession? Discuss her personality. Write a complete character description of Annie Wilkes. Discuss how her obsessive behavior rules the story. Examine her obsession with Paul Sheldon and Misery. Also, compare her to other crazed fans.
Essay Topic 2
Annie Wilkes' farmhouse is in rural Colorado. Examine King's use of Colorado as a setting for the book. Why do you think King chose Colorado? Why do you think King did not use Maine, his most common location? Does Sidewinder exist? If so, is it anything like the location in the story? Explain. Discuss the pros and cons of using Colorado as a location. Also, discuss the pros and cons of placing Annie's farmhouse in the countryside. How did it change the plot? What might have been different if Annie lived in town? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Several times throughout the story Paul attempts to placate Annie. What does it mean to placate someone? What is the purpose? Why does Paul attempt to convince Annie he is on her side? What actions does Paul take? Does Annie fall for the ruse? Explain. When Annie seems to go along with Paul, is she doing so to lull him into a false sense of security? Or, does she truly believe Paul's intentions are geared toward her happiness and well-being? Explain.
This section contains 1,926 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)