|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will be the name of the new project?
2. What does Paul use to pick the lock on the bedroom door?
3. Paul wonders if any damage was caused to the ______ during the accident.
4. What object prompted the idea for the novel?
5. By the end of Chapter 16, how long had Paul been at the farmhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annie want in return for the gifts? What is Annie's explanation?
2. How does Paul keep track of the time in light of his bouts of unconsciousness? What does Paul wonder about the change of the seasons?
3. How does Paul describe the ceiling in his room?
4. How does Paul feel when he tells Annie the book is finished?
5. What does Paul say that changes Annie's attitude, at least temporarily?
6. Where does Paul go after escaping the bedroom? Why?
7. What is one of the first reactions Paul had when he woke up at Annie's house?
8. Explain the exchange between Geoffrey and Ian regarding Misery's predicament. What happens to Ian's plan?
9. What is the prediction for Paul's future at this point?
10. What part of Paul's anatomy does Annie pinch in order to get his attention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Paul's view on the Misery books. What is Paul's opinion on the books that have made him so rich and famous? What is Paul's plan for Misery? How does Annie change Paul's views? Also discuss Paul's new book, "Fast Cars." Compare and contrast it with the Misery series. Why does Paul want to switch genres? Do you think "Fast Cars" will be as successful as the Misery series? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Several times throughout the story Paul attempts to placate Annie. What does it mean to placate someone? What is the purpose? Why does Paul attempt to convince Annie he is on her side? What actions does Paul take? Does Annie fall for the ruse? Explain. When Annie seems to go along with Paul, is she doing so to lull him into a false sense of security? Or, does she truly believe Paul's intentions are geared toward her happiness and well-being? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Annie Wilkes' farmhouse is in rural Colorado. Examine King's use of Colorado as a setting for the book. Why do you think King chose Colorado? Why do you think King did not use Maine, his most common location? Does Sidewinder exist? If so, is it anything like the location in the story? Explain. Discuss the pros and cons of using Colorado as a location. Also, discuss the pros and cons of placing Annie's farmhouse in the countryside. How did it change the plot? What might have been different if Annie lived in town? Explain.
This section contains 1,996 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)