|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the technique Annie talks about in relation to the chapter play?
2. Whose court does Annie attend?
3. What is missing from the machine?
4. By the end of Chapter 16, how long had Paul been at the farmhouse?
5. How long did it take to complete the new manuscript?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Annie's opinion of Paul's first draft? To what does she compare it?
2. Describe the scene in which Annie has her first psychotic break with Paul. What does she do?
3. What is going through Paul's mind as Annie explains her point about the "cheat?"
4. How does Paul feel when he tells Annie the book is finished?
5. Paul tries to explain "the gotta" to Annie. What is the gotta?
6. Annie makes a suggestion about Misery's alleged death. What is the suggestion? What is Paul's reaction to the suggestion? What is Annie's reply?
7. Over the next few weeks it is relatively quiet at the Wilkes house. Describe the author's view.
8. How long has it been since Paul was rescued? What is Paul's mental and physical condition?
9. Why is Annie upset at the tax man? What is Paul's explanation?
10. What makes Paul question if Annie is really dead?
Essay Topic 1
Examine Annie Wilkes. Who is she? What is her profession? Discuss her personality. Write a complete character description of Annie Wilkes. Discuss how her obsessive behavior rules the story. Examine her obsession with Paul Sheldon and Misery. Also, compare her to other crazed fans.
Essay Topic 2
It is obvious that Annie Wilkes suffers from a serious mental illness. What are the issues suffered by Annie? Use examples from the book and explain Annie's problems. What do you think causes these issues? Do you think Annie has ever sought any type of psychiatric treatment? If so, do you think it was voluntary? What might have helped Annie with her issues?
Essay Topic 3
Annie frequently tells Paul that the things she does are for his own good. Does Annie really believe that she is helping Paul? If so, what is Annie's reasoning and purpose? If not, what is the real reason that Annie is keeping Paul hostage? Do you think Annie is trying to assuage her guilt by convincing herself that she is helping Paul? In what areas does Paul need Annie's help? Explain.
This section contains 1,977 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)