|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the vacation spot from Paul's childhood?
2. Paul is frustrated because he cannot reach which of the following?
3. Which of Paul's novels just came to be after seeing a certain scene on the street?
4. What will be the name of the new project?
5. What is crossed out throughout the new book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annie want in return for the gifts? What is Annie's explanation?
2. What is Annie's opinion of Paul's first draft? To what does she compare it?
3. Paul's skill as a writer often comes out through dreams and fantasies. Discuss at least one episode involving the sportscasters.
4. What does Paul think about regarding the site of the car crash?
5. How does Annie describe herself to Paul?
6. Why is Annie upset at the tax man? What is Paul's explanation?
7. How does Paul keep track of the time in light of his bouts of unconsciousness? What does Paul wonder about the change of the seasons?
8. Paul creates a vivid description of Annie comparing her to a natural force. What is the force?
9. Annie makes a suggestion about Misery's alleged death. What is the suggestion? What is Paul's reaction to the suggestion? What is Annie's reply?
10. What causes Paul to cry in the bathroom? What happens next?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a child,, Annie and her brother often went to Saturday afternoon matinees that featured cliffhangers. What is a cliffhanger? Is each a complete movie/story? What is the genre? Why was going to the movies a favorite activity for Annie? What about the movies upset Annie? What is Paul's explanation of the technique used in the movies? Give examples of the cliffhangers. Include examples of deus ex machina.
Essay Topic 2
The most violent and gruesome act Annie commits regarding Paul is the hobbling of his foot and leg. Examine hobbling. What is it? Why does Annie do it? What is the purpose? Could Paul die from the action? What is the history behind it?
Essay Topic 3
It is obvious that Annie Wilkes suffers from a serious mental illness. What are the issues suffered by Annie? Use examples from the book and explain Annie's problems. What do you think causes these issues? Do you think Annie has ever sought any type of psychiatric treatment? If so, do you think it was voluntary? What might have helped Annie with her issues?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)