|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the brand name of the machine?
2. What was the name of the vacation spot from Paul's childhood?
3. Who approaches Geoffrey's house with a warning about strange noises in the graveyard?
4. What is crossed out throughout the new book?
5. Annie gives Paul another dose of medication. How many hours does Paul sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Annie describe herself to Paul?
2. What is going through Paul's mind as Annie explains her point about the "cheat?"
3. How does Paul describe the ceiling in his room?
4. What is Annie's opinion of Paul's first draft? To what does she compare it?
5. Examine the scene in which Paul finds the Novril in the bathroom.
6. Discuss Annie's initial opinion of "Fast Cars."
7. What does Paul surmise regarding his fame and Annie's actions?
8. What does Paul come to realize in regard to the Novril?
9. Discuss the dream in which Annie is riding on a magic carpet.
10. Paul creates a vivid description of Annie comparing her to a natural force. What is the force?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several traditions Paul has when he is on the verge of finishing a book. Discuss at least four of the traditions and why they are important to Paul as a writer.
Essay Topic 2
Write a complete character description of Paul Sheldon. Who is Paul Sheldon? What is his age? What is Sheldon's profession? Why is Sheldon in Colorado? What is Sheldon's purpose for drinking Dom Perignon? Explain how Sheldon gets involved with Annie Wilkes and "Misery's Return." Also, discuss what happens to Paul after he returns to New York.
Essay Topic 3
When Annie meets Paul, she has no idea what is contained in the latest book, 'Misery's Child." Examine Annie's attitude toward Paul before, during, and after the reading of "Misery's Child." What is Annie's original reaction? Is the reaction justified or rational? Discuss.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)