|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Paul dreams that Annie is riding on what item?
2. According to Annie, a plot resolution does not need to be realistic, it only needs to be_____________.
3. What is the name of the drug administered to the main character?
4. What chapter play is referred to several times by Annie?
5. Who comes to visit Annie on official business?
Short Essay Questions
1. Paul creates a vivid description of Annie comparing her to a natural force. What is the force?
2. What does Paul think about regarding the site of the car crash?
3. What is going through Paul's mind as Annie explains her point about the "cheat?"
4. What is Annie's opinion of Paul's first draft? To what does she compare it?
5. How is Paul able to know what is wrong with Annie's mental state?
6. Describe the scene in which Annie has her first psychotic break with Paul. What does she do?
7. Annie makes a suggestion about Misery's alleged death. What is the suggestion? What is Paul's reaction to the suggestion? What is Annie's reply?
8. How does Paul keep track of the time in light of his bouts of unconsciousness? What does Paul wonder about the change of the seasons?
9. How does Paul describe the ceiling in his room?
10. Discuss Annie's initial opinion of "Fast Cars."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The most violent and gruesome act Annie commits regarding Paul is the hobbling of his foot and leg. Examine hobbling. What is it? Why does Annie do it? What is the purpose? Could Paul die from the action? What is the history behind it?
Essay Topic 2
Several times throughout the story Paul attempts to placate Annie. What does it mean to placate someone? What is the purpose? Why does Paul attempt to convince Annie he is on her side? What actions does Paul take? Does Annie fall for the ruse? Explain. When Annie seems to go along with Paul, is she doing so to lull him into a false sense of security? Or, does she truly believe Paul's intentions are geared toward her happiness and well-being? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There are several traditions Paul has when he is on the verge of finishing a book. Discuss at least four of the traditions and why they are important to Paul as a writer.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)