|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Thomas' nurse?
2. Paul is frustrated because he cannot reach which of the following?
3. Who comes along to rescue the character?
4. Paul wonders if any damage was caused to the ______ during the accident.
5. What is the name of the sportscaster inside Paul's head?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Annie describe herself to Paul?
2. Paul creates a vivid description of Annie comparing her to a natural force. What is the force?
3. Why is Annie upset at the tax man? What is Paul's explanation?
4. When Paul describes the smell first associated with Annie, what does he say?
5. What part of Paul's anatomy does Annie pinch in order to get his attention?
6. Discuss the scene in which Paul asks Annie to replace the typing paper.
7. What causes Paul to cry in the bathroom? What happens next?
8. Describe the scene in which Annie has her first psychotic break with Paul. What does she do?
9. What does Paul surmise regarding his fame and Annie's actions?
10. What kind of sounds does Paul hear from the adjoining room while he slips in and out of consciousness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Annie meets Paul, she has no idea what is contained in the latest book, 'Misery's Child." Examine Annie's attitude toward Paul before, during, and after the reading of "Misery's Child." What is Annie's original reaction? Is the reaction justified or rational? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Paul finally returns to New York after his ordeal with Annie. Explain Paul's return to the city. Where does Paul go? Why does he move? What is the reaction of his agent and editor? Why is Paul such big news? Is Paul excited or offended that he is being offered so much money for a book regardless of its genre or worth? How much do you think Paul will get for his next book? What do you think Paul will do next? Do you think there will be any more Misery books?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Paul Sheldon's car accident. When and where does the accident occur? What type of car is Sheldon driving when he has the accident? What causes the accident? Who saves Paul Sheldon? What makes Paul's rescue one of the worst things that has ever happened to him? What might have happened if Paul had not been rescued?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)