Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the technique Annie talks about in relation to the chapter play?
2. Whose court does Annie attend?
3. What is missing from the machine?
4. By the end of Chapter 16, how long had Paul been at the farmhouse?
5. How long did it take to complete the new manuscript?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Annie's opinion of Paul's first draft? To what does she compare it?
2. Describe the scene in which Annie has her first psychotic break with Paul. What does she do?
3. What is going through Paul's mind as Annie explains her point about the "cheat?"
4. How does Paul feel when he tells Annie the book is finished?
5. Paul tries to explain "the gotta" to Annie. What is the gotta?
6. Annie makes a suggestion about Misery's alleged death. What is the suggestion? What is Paul's reaction to the suggestion? What is Annie's reply?
7. Over the next few weeks it is relatively quiet at the Wilkes house. Describe the author's view.
8. How long has it been since Paul was rescued? What is Paul's mental and physical condition?
9. Why is Annie upset at the tax man? What is Paul's explanation?
10. What makes Paul question if Annie is really dead?
As a child,, Annie and her brother often went to Saturday afternoon matinees that featured cliffhangers. What is a cliffhanger? Is each a complete movie/story? What is the genre? Why was going to the movies a favorite activity for Annie? What about the movies upset Annie? What is Paul's explanation of the technique used in the movies? Give examples of the cliffhangers. Include examples of deus ex machina.
Annie frequently tells Paul that the things she does are for his own good. Does Annie really believe that she is helping Paul? If so, what is Annie's reasoning and purpose? If not, what is the real reason that Annie is keeping Paul hostage? Do you think Annie is trying to assuage her guilt by convincing herself that she is helping Paul? In what areas does Paul need Annie's help? Explain.
Annie Wilkes' farmhouse is in rural Colorado. Examine King's use of Colorado as a setting for the book. Why do you think King chose Colorado? Why do you think King did not use Maine, his most common location? Does Sidewinder exist? If so, is it anything like the location in the story? Explain. Discuss the pros and cons of using Colorado as a location. Also, discuss the pros and cons of placing Annie's farmhouse in the countryside. How did it change the plot? What might have been different if Annie lived in town? Explain.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)