|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the adjective used for Annie's robes?
2. Paul wonders if any damage was caused to the ______ during the accident.
3. What is the main character's name in the best selling book series?
4. What does Annie say after she reads the first part of the new book?
5. Which card does Annie find in Paul's wallet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the scene in which Paul finds the Novril in the bathroom.
2. What does Annie want in return for the gifts? What is Annie's explanation?
3. Why is Annie upset at the tax man? What is Paul's explanation?
4. Why does Annie handcuff Paul? What does Annie do to keep Paul quiet?
5. Discuss the scene in which Paul asks Annie to replace the typing paper.
6. Describe the scene in which Annie has her first psychotic break with Paul. What does she do?
7. Explain how Paul knows how to pick locks. Paul begins to escape from the bedroom after he managed to pick the lock. What did Paul forget to check?
8. What causes Paul to cry in the bathroom? What happens next?
9. Discuss the presents Annie brings back to the house for Paul. What is Paul's reaction to the items?
10. What kind of sounds does Paul hear from the adjoining room while he slips in and out of consciousness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Annie's obsession with Paul. What is the basis of the obsession? Do you think Annie is obsessed with Paul, Misery or both? How does Paul react when Annie says she is Paul's number one fan? How far is Annie willing to go to get what she wants from Paul? Does Paul realize the extent of Annie's obsession? Do you think Annie is mentally unstable? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
As a child,, Annie and her brother often went to Saturday afternoon matinees that featured cliffhangers. What is a cliffhanger? Is each a complete movie/story? What is the genre? Why was going to the movies a favorite activity for Annie? What about the movies upset Annie? What is Paul's explanation of the technique used in the movies? Give examples of the cliffhangers. Include examples of deus ex machina.
Essay Topic 3
There are several traditions Paul has when he is on the verge of finishing a book. Discuss at least four of the traditions and why they are important to Paul as a writer.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)