|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many words are in the new manuscript?
2. What other character is referenced in connection with Misery?
3. Who is in the accident?
4. What is the name of the childhood game recalled by Paul?
5. What animal was named after the main fictional character?
Short Essay Questions
1. Paul creates a vivid description of Annie comparing her to a natural force. What is the force?
2. How does Paul keep track of the time in light of his bouts of unconsciousness? What does Paul wonder about the change of the seasons?
3. What does Paul think about Misery and the direction his career is taking as a result of the best selling series?
4. What part of Paul's anatomy does Annie pinch in order to get his attention?
5. What is Annie's opinion of Paul's first draft? To what does she compare it?
6. What is going through Paul's mind as Annie explains her point about the "cheat?"
7. What does Paul say after Annie smashes his knee?
8. Examine the scene in which Paul finds the Novril in the bathroom.
9. How is Paul able to know what is wrong with Annie's mental state?
10. What does Annie want in return for the gifts? What is Annie's explanation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paul Sheldon is in tremendous pain after the accident. Discuss the medication Paul receives from Annie. What is the medication? Does the medicine really exist? What type of medication is it? When is Paul given the medication? How much does Annie administer? Where did Annie get the medication? What type of side effects does Paul experience from taking the drugs? What happens if Paul misses a dose?
Essay Topic 2
Annie's compulsions and obsessions are clearer than Paul's issues. Compare and contrast the obsessions and compulsions of each. Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
As a child,, Annie and her brother often went to Saturday afternoon matinees that featured cliffhangers. What is a cliffhanger? Is each a complete movie/story? What is the genre? Why was going to the movies a favorite activity for Annie? What about the movies upset Annie? What is Paul's explanation of the technique used in the movies? Give examples of the cliffhangers. Include examples of deus ex machina.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)