|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the brand name of the machine?
2. Who taught Paul how to pick locks?
3. What kind of car is wrecked?
4. How does Paul refer to his book of details?
5. Paul dreams about which of the following coming to the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul surmise regarding his fame and Annie's actions?
2. Where does Paul go after escaping the bedroom? Why?
3. Discuss the presents Annie brings back to the house for Paul. What is Paul's reaction to the items?
4. How does Paul explain the process of writing to Annie?
5. What kind of sounds does Paul hear from the adjoining room while he slips in and out of consciousness?
6. What injury does Annie inflict on Paul at this time? What caused Annie to take such drastic measures?
7. What was so strange about Paul's obsessed fan? How did Paul react?
8. Describe the scene in which Annie has her first psychotic break with Paul. What does she do?
9. What does Annie want in return for the gifts? What is Annie's explanation?
10. What does Paul say after Annie smashes his knee?
Essay Topic 1
Several times throughout the story Paul attempts to placate Annie. What does it mean to placate someone? What is the purpose? Why does Paul attempt to convince Annie he is on her side? What actions does Paul take? Does Annie fall for the ruse? Explain. When Annie seems to go along with Paul, is she doing so to lull him into a false sense of security? Or, does she truly believe Paul's intentions are geared toward her happiness and well-being? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Annie Wilkes. Who is she? What is her profession? Discuss her personality. Write a complete character description of Annie Wilkes. Discuss how her obsessive behavior rules the story. Examine her obsession with Paul Sheldon and Misery. Also, compare her to other crazed fans.
Essay Topic 3
The most violent and gruesome act Annie commits regarding Paul is the hobbling of his foot and leg. Examine hobbling. What is it? Why does Annie do it? What is the purpose? Could Paul die from the action? What is the history behind it?
This section contains 1,934 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)