|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which card does Annie find in Paul's wallet?
2. How many words are in the new manuscript?
3. What object prompted the idea for the novel?
4. What kind of car is wrecked?
5. Who is in the accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul describe the ceiling in his room?
2. Paul's skill as a writer often comes out through dreams and fantasies. Discuss at least one episode involving the sportscasters.
3. Discuss the dream in which Annie is riding on a magic carpet.
4. How is Paul able to know what is wrong with Annie's mental state?
5. Why does Annie handcuff Paul? What does Annie do to keep Paul quiet?
6. Explain how Paul knows how to pick locks. Paul begins to escape from the bedroom after he managed to pick the lock. What did Paul forget to check?
7. Annie makes a suggestion about Misery's alleged death. What is the suggestion? What is Paul's reaction to the suggestion? What is Annie's reply?
8. Describe the scene in which Annie has her first psychotic break with Paul. What does she do?
9. What does Paul come to realize in regard to the Novril?
10. What does Paul feel like after Annie leaves him for a long time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a child,, Annie and her brother often went to Saturday afternoon matinees that featured cliffhangers. What is a cliffhanger? Is each a complete movie/story? What is the genre? Why was going to the movies a favorite activity for Annie? What about the movies upset Annie? What is Paul's explanation of the technique used in the movies? Give examples of the cliffhangers. Include examples of deus ex machina.
Essay Topic 2
Several times throughout the story Paul attempts to placate Annie. What does it mean to placate someone? What is the purpose? Why does Paul attempt to convince Annie he is on her side? What actions does Paul take? Does Annie fall for the ruse? Explain. When Annie seems to go along with Paul, is she doing so to lull him into a false sense of security? Or, does she truly believe Paul's intentions are geared toward her happiness and well-being? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
People in Sidewinder refer to Annie as the Dragon Lady. Why do the locals hate Annie? How does Annie feel about them? How does Annie do business in town? Where does she go? Do the people in Sidewinder know about Annie's past? What information do the locals have? Have there been any charges brought against Annie in her hometown? Is there any proof that Annie has done anything wrong since returning to the town? Discuss.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)