|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the accident?
2. Who comes along to rescue the character?
3. What do Misery and the other character have in common?
4. What is the brand name of the machine?
5. Who was the only one that ever took Annie's side?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Paul knows how to pick locks. Paul begins to escape from the bedroom after he managed to pick the lock. What did Paul forget to check?
2. Why is Annie upset at the tax man? What is Paul's explanation?
3. What does Annie want in return for the gifts? What is Annie's explanation?
4. Discuss the presents Annie brings back to the house for Paul. What is Paul's reaction to the items?
5. What is Annie's opinion of Paul's first draft? To what does she compare it?
6. Discuss the scene in which Paul asks Annie to replace the typing paper.
7. Paul's skill as a writer often comes out through dreams and fantasies. Discuss at least one episode involving the sportscasters.
8. Annie makes a suggestion about Misery's alleged death. What is the suggestion? What is Paul's reaction to the suggestion? What is Annie's reply?
9. Examine the scene in which Paul finds the Novril in the bathroom.
10. What does Paul feel like after Annie leaves him for a long time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a complete character description of Paul Sheldon. Who is Paul Sheldon? What is his age? What is Sheldon's profession? Why is Sheldon in Colorado? What is Sheldon's purpose for drinking Dom Perignon? Explain how Sheldon gets involved with Annie Wilkes and "Misery's Return." Also, discuss what happens to Paul after he returns to New York.
Essay Topic 2
As a writer, Paul Sheldon must face writer's block. What is writer's block? What causes it? What brings it on in Paul's case? Is it a lack of interest or inspiration? Where does Paul get his inspiration? What types of things might a writer do to break writer's block? How long does it last for Paul? What does Paul create after he finally breaks through the barrier?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Paul's view on the Misery books. What is Paul's opinion on the books that have made him so rich and famous? What is Paul's plan for Misery? How does Annie change Paul's views? Also discuss Paul's new book, "Fast Cars." Compare and contrast it with the Misery series. Why does Paul want to switch genres? Do you think "Fast Cars" will be as successful as the Misery series? Explain.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)