Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the technique Annie talks about in relation to the chapter play?
2. Whose court does Annie attend?
3. What is missing from the machine?
4. By the end of Chapter 16, how long had Paul been at the farmhouse?
5. How long did it take to complete the new manuscript?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Annie's opinion of Paul's first draft? To what does she compare it?
2. Describe the scene in which Annie has her first psychotic break with Paul. What does she do?
3. What is going through Paul's mind as Annie explains her point about the "cheat?"
4. How does Paul feel when he tells Annie the book is finished?
5. Paul tries to explain "the gotta" to Annie. What is the gotta?
6. Annie makes a suggestion about Misery's alleged death. What is the suggestion? What is Paul's reaction to the suggestion? What is Annie's reply?
7. Over the next few weeks it is relatively quiet at the Wilkes house. Describe the author's view.
8. How long has it been since Paul was rescued? What is Paul's mental and physical condition?
9. Why is Annie upset at the tax man? What is Paul's explanation?
10. What makes Paul question if Annie is really dead?
Essay Topic 1
It is obvious that Annie Wilkes suffers from a serious mental illness. What are the issues suffered by Annie? Use examples from the book and explain Annie's problems. What do you think causes these issues? Do you think Annie has ever sought any type of psychiatric treatment? If so, do you think it was voluntary? What might have helped Annie with her issues?
Essay Topic 2
Several times throughout the story Paul attempts to placate Annie. What does it mean to placate someone? What is the purpose? Why does Paul attempt to convince Annie he is on her side? What actions does Paul take? Does Annie fall for the ruse? Explain. When Annie seems to go along with Paul, is she doing so to lull him into a false sense of security? Or, does she truly believe Paul's intentions are geared toward her happiness and well-being? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Annie Wilkes' farmhouse is in rural Colorado. Examine King's use of Colorado as a setting for the book. Why do you think King chose Colorado? Why do you think King did not use Maine, his most common location? Does Sidewinder exist? If so, is it anything like the location in the story? Explain. Discuss the pros and cons of using Colorado as a location. Also, discuss the pros and cons of placing Annie's farmhouse in the countryside. How did it change the plot? What might have been different if Annie lived in town? Explain.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)