|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie is referenced in regards to the dream?
2. Where does Geoffrey go after hearing about the noises?
3. How long will it be until the snow melts?
4. What is the name of the sportscaster inside Paul's head?
5. What does Paul use to pick the lock on the bedroom door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the presents Annie brings back to the house for Paul. What is Paul's reaction to the items?
2. Explain how Paul knows how to pick locks. Paul begins to escape from the bedroom after he managed to pick the lock. What did Paul forget to check?
3. What does Paul say that changes Annie's attitude, at least temporarily?
4. What does Annie bring to Paul to celebrate the completion of the writing?
5. Spring finally arrives. How does the seasonal change affect Paul?
6. Explain what happened to Annie after the cops discovered she was not in Paul's room.
7. How does Paul feel when he tells Annie the book is finished?
8. How does Paul explain the process of writing to Annie?
9. When Paul describes the smell first associated with Annie, what does he say?
10. Discuss the dream in which Annie is riding on a magic carpet.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Annie meets Paul, she has no idea what is contained in the latest book, 'Misery's Child." Examine Annie's attitude toward Paul before, during, and after the reading of "Misery's Child." What is Annie's original reaction? Is the reaction justified or rational? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Paul often pictures Annie in the courtroom. Describe the scene. Why is Annie in court? Has she been charged, indicted or convicted of a crime? If so, what? Where is the courtroom? Who else is present? What is Annie's demeanor? Why does the image seem to haunt Paul? Is the courtroom scene a fabrication of Paul's imagination, or is it accurate? What does Annie tell Paul about the trial? What is the outcome? How does it affect Annie both personally and professionally?
Essay Topic 3
It is obvious that Annie Wilkes suffers from a serious mental illness. What are the issues suffered by Annie? Use examples from the book and explain Annie's problems. What do you think causes these issues? Do you think Annie has ever sought any type of psychiatric treatment? If so, do you think it was voluntary? What might have helped Annie with her issues?
This section contains 1,988 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)