|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie call it when she goes into an altered mental state?
2. Where does Paul sit while he works?
3. Where does Paul find Annie's stash of drugs?
4. Annie gets angry because Paul refers to writing as what?
5. Paul is frustrated because he cannot reach which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Paul creates a vivid description of Annie comparing her to a natural force. What is the force?
2. How does Paul describe the ceiling in his room?
3. What is one of the first reactions Paul had when he woke up at Annie's house?
4. When Paul describes the smell first associated with Annie, what does he say?
5. Why is Annie upset at the tax man? What is Paul's explanation?
6. What does Paul think about regarding the site of the car crash?
7. What part of Paul's anatomy does Annie pinch in order to get his attention?
8. How does Annie describe herself to Paul?
9. What does Paul surmise regarding his fame and Annie's actions?
10. Discuss the dream in which Annie is riding on a magic carpet.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Annie meets Paul, she has no idea what is contained in the latest book, 'Misery's Child." Examine Annie's attitude toward Paul before, during, and after the reading of "Misery's Child." What is Annie's original reaction? Is the reaction justified or rational? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
It is obvious that Annie Wilkes suffers from a serious mental illness. What are the issues suffered by Annie? Use examples from the book and explain Annie's problems. What do you think causes these issues? Do you think Annie has ever sought any type of psychiatric treatment? If so, do you think it was voluntary? What might have helped Annie with her issues?
Essay Topic 3
Annie Wilkes' farmhouse is in rural Colorado. Examine King's use of Colorado as a setting for the book. Why do you think King chose Colorado? Why do you think King did not use Maine, his most common location? Does Sidewinder exist? If so, is it anything like the location in the story? Explain. Discuss the pros and cons of using Colorado as a location. Also, discuss the pros and cons of placing Annie's farmhouse in the countryside. How did it change the plot? What might have been different if Annie lived in town? Explain.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)