|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who issues the warning?
2. Who taught Paul how to pick locks?
3. What is the name Paul uses for the pencil jar?
4. What is crossed out throughout the new book?
5. In what state does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Annie's initial opinion of "Fast Cars."
2. What kind of sounds does Paul hear from the adjoining room while he slips in and out of consciousness?
3. Discuss the presents Annie brings back to the house for Paul. What is Paul's reaction to the items?
4. Describe the scene in which Annie has her first psychotic break with Paul. What does she do?
5. How does Paul keep track of the time in light of his bouts of unconsciousness? What does Paul wonder about the change of the seasons?
6. How does Paul describe the ceiling in his room?
7. When Paul describes the smell first associated with Annie, what does he say?
8. What does Paul feel like after Annie leaves him for a long time?
9. What does Annie want in return for the gifts? What is Annie's explanation?
10. What does Paul think about Misery and the direction his career is taking as a result of the best selling series?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several traditions Paul has when he is on the verge of finishing a book. Discuss at least four of the traditions and why they are important to Paul as a writer.
Essay Topic 2
It is obvious that Annie Wilkes suffers from a serious mental illness. What are the issues suffered by Annie? Use examples from the book and explain Annie's problems. What do you think causes these issues? Do you think Annie has ever sought any type of psychiatric treatment? If so, do you think it was voluntary? What might have helped Annie with her issues?
Essay Topic 3
Annie Wilkes' farmhouse is in rural Colorado. Examine King's use of Colorado as a setting for the book. Why do you think King chose Colorado? Why do you think King did not use Maine, his most common location? Does Sidewinder exist? If so, is it anything like the location in the story? Explain. Discuss the pros and cons of using Colorado as a location. Also, discuss the pros and cons of placing Annie's farmhouse in the countryside. How did it change the plot? What might have been different if Annie lived in town? Explain.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)