|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is missing from the machine?
2. Paul dreams that Annie is riding on what item?
3. What is the name of the drug administered to the main character?
4. What does Annie say after she reads the first part of the new book?
5. Sheldon has no idea how far the farm is from town. It could be as little as 15 miles or as many as ___ miles.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Paul able to know what is wrong with Annie's mental state?
2. What does Paul think about regarding the site of the car crash?
3. What does Annie want in return for the gifts? What is Annie's explanation?
4. What does Paul think about Misery and the direction his career is taking as a result of the best selling series?
5. Explain how Paul knows how to pick locks. Paul begins to escape from the bedroom after he managed to pick the lock. What did Paul forget to check?
6. What is one of the first reactions Paul had when he woke up at Annie's house?
7. How does Paul describe the ceiling in his room?
8. Why is Annie upset at the tax man? What is Paul's explanation?
9. Discuss Annie's initial opinion of "Fast Cars."
10. Discuss the dream in which Annie is riding on a magic carpet.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is obvious that Annie Wilkes suffers from a serious mental illness. What are the issues suffered by Annie? Use examples from the book and explain Annie's problems. What do you think causes these issues? Do you think Annie has ever sought any type of psychiatric treatment? If so, do you think it was voluntary? What might have helped Annie with her issues?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Annie Wilkes. Who is she? What is her profession? Discuss her personality. Write a complete character description of Annie Wilkes. Discuss how her obsessive behavior rules the story. Examine her obsession with Paul Sheldon and Misery. Also, compare her to other crazed fans.
Essay Topic 3
Several times throughout the story Paul attempts to placate Annie. What does it mean to placate someone? What is the purpose? Why does Paul attempt to convince Annie he is on her side? What actions does Paul take? Does Annie fall for the ruse? Explain. When Annie seems to go along with Paul, is she doing so to lull him into a false sense of security? Or, does she truly believe Paul's intentions are geared toward her happiness and well-being? Explain.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)