|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of the main character?
2. In what state does the story take place?
3. What might happen if Paul does not receive his medication?
4. What causes the accident?
5. Who comes along to rescue the character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul feel like after Annie leaves him for a long time?
2. Describe the scene in which Annie has her first psychotic break with Paul. What does she do?
3. How does Annie describe herself to Paul?
4. Discuss the presents Annie brings back to the house for Paul. What is Paul's reaction to the items?
5. What causes Paul to cry in the bathroom? What happens next?
6. Discuss Annie's initial opinion of "Fast Cars."
7. When Paul describes the smell first associated with Annie, what does he say?
8. Annie makes a suggestion about Misery's alleged death. What is the suggestion? What is Paul's reaction to the suggestion? What is Annie's reply?
9. How is Paul able to know what is wrong with Annie's mental state?
10. What is one of the first reactions Paul had when he woke up at Annie's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a writer, Paul Sheldon must face writer's block. What is writer's block? What causes it? What brings it on in Paul's case? Is it a lack of interest or inspiration? Where does Paul get his inspiration? What types of things might a writer do to break writer's block? How long does it last for Paul? What does Paul create after he finally breaks through the barrier?
Essay Topic 2
Several times throughout the story Paul attempts to placate Annie. What does it mean to placate someone? What is the purpose? Why does Paul attempt to convince Annie he is on her side? What actions does Paul take? Does Annie fall for the ruse? Explain. When Annie seems to go along with Paul, is she doing so to lull him into a false sense of security? Or, does she truly believe Paul's intentions are geared toward her happiness and well-being? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Paul Sheldon is in tremendous pain after the accident. Discuss the medication Paul receives from Annie. What is the medication? Does the medicine really exist? What type of medication is it? When is Paul given the medication? How much does Annie administer? Where did Annie get the medication? What type of side effects does Paul experience from taking the drugs? What happens if Paul misses a dose?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)