|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Paul dreams about which country?
2. How many presents does Annie bring to Paul?
3. What is crossed out throughout the new book?
4. What might happen if Paul does not receive his medication?
5. Paul wonders if any damage was caused to the ______ during the accident.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the dream in which Annie is riding on a magic carpet.
2. How does Paul describe the ceiling in his room?
3. Why is Annie upset at the tax man? What is Paul's explanation?
4. Why does Annie handcuff Paul? What does Annie do to keep Paul quiet?
5. What is going through Paul's mind as Annie explains her point about the "cheat?"
6. What does Paul say after Annie smashes his knee?
7. How is Paul able to know what is wrong with Annie's mental state?
8. How does Annie describe herself to Paul?
9. Discuss the presents Annie brings back to the house for Paul. What is Paul's reaction to the items?
10. Annie makes a suggestion about Misery's alleged death. What is the suggestion? What is Paul's reaction to the suggestion? What is Annie's reply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annie Wilkes' farmhouse is in rural Colorado. Examine King's use of Colorado as a setting for the book. Why do you think King chose Colorado? Why do you think King did not use Maine, his most common location? Does Sidewinder exist? If so, is it anything like the location in the story? Explain. Discuss the pros and cons of using Colorado as a location. Also, discuss the pros and cons of placing Annie's farmhouse in the countryside. How did it change the plot? What might have been different if Annie lived in town? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Paul Sheldon's car accident. When and where does the accident occur? What type of car is Sheldon driving when he has the accident? What causes the accident? Who saves Paul Sheldon? What makes Paul's rescue one of the worst things that has ever happened to him? What might have happened if Paul had not been rescued?
Essay Topic 3
The most violent and gruesome act Annie commits regarding Paul is the hobbling of his foot and leg. Examine hobbling. What is it? Why does Annie do it? What is the purpose? Could Paul die from the action? What is the history behind it?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)