|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paul refer to Annie at this point?
2. Paul hopes that which of the following will be found?
3. What is missing from the machine?
4. What does Annie call it when she goes into an altered mental state?
5. Which card does Annie find in Paul's wallet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul keep track of the time in light of his bouts of unconsciousness? What does Paul wonder about the change of the seasons?
2. What causes Paul to cry in the bathroom? What happens next?
3. How does Paul describe the ceiling in his room?
4. Examine the scene in which Paul finds the Novril in the bathroom.
5. What does Paul think about regarding the site of the car crash?
6. Paul's skill as a writer often comes out through dreams and fantasies. Discuss at least one episode involving the sportscasters.
7. Annie makes a suggestion about Misery's alleged death. What is the suggestion? What is Paul's reaction to the suggestion? What is Annie's reply?
8. How does Annie describe herself to Paul?
9. When Paul describes the smell first associated with Annie, what does he say?
10. What does Paul say after Annie smashes his knee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
People in Sidewinder refer to Annie as the Dragon Lady. Why do the locals hate Annie? How does Annie feel about them? How does Annie do business in town? Where does she go? Do the people in Sidewinder know about Annie's past? What information do the locals have? Have there been any charges brought against Annie in her hometown? Is there any proof that Annie has done anything wrong since returning to the town? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Paul often pictures Annie in the courtroom. Describe the scene. Why is Annie in court? Has she been charged, indicted or convicted of a crime? If so, what? Where is the courtroom? Who else is present? What is Annie's demeanor? Why does the image seem to haunt Paul? Is the courtroom scene a fabrication of Paul's imagination, or is it accurate? What does Annie tell Paul about the trial? What is the outcome? How does it affect Annie both personally and professionally?
Essay Topic 3
The most violent and gruesome act Annie commits regarding Paul is the hobbling of his foot and leg. Examine hobbling. What is it? Why does Annie do it? What is the purpose? Could Paul die from the action? What is the history behind it?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)