|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who confronts Celimene in Act 5, Scene 2?
2. What does Celimene think is unfair?
3. Alceste makes another big decision at the end of Act 5, Scene 1. What is it?
4. What surprising information does Eliante learn at the end of Act 4, Scene 1?
5. Who confronts Célimène in Act 5, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Celimene likes to control social situations. Cite at least three situations in the play, including specific details about each situation, that illustrate how Celimene likes to be in control.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, how does Oronte's asking for Alceste's friendship and a hug, and Alceste's answer that friendship grows over time, support the theme of the play? Use Alceste's response to show why he is disgusted with hypocrisy, and why he has lost compassion for people.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think all of the men continue to put up with Celimene's indecisiveness for so long? Why do they continue to compete with each other for her love? What does the lack of interest in the other women say about the men in the play? What does it say about Celimene?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)