|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only one still interested in Célimène after the letter comes to light in Act 5, Scene 4?
2. What is Alcests unable to do?
3. Who says that Alceste deserves better than Célimène?
4. What letter does Alceste tell Eliante he has seen?
5. In Act 5, Scene 2, what Celimene is asked to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the characters Philinte and Eliante represent in Moliere's vision of a hypocritical society? What do the characters Clitandre, Acaste, and Arsinoe represent? Cite examples from the book as evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think all of the men continue to put up with Celimene's indecisiveness for so long? Why do they continue to compete with each other for her love? What does the lack of interest in the other women say about the men in the play? What does it say about Celimene?
Essay Topic 3
Research Moliere and the time period in which he lived. Write a brief summary about what may have motivated Moliere to write "The Misanthrope" and how the play was received by his contemporaries.
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)