|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arsinoe hope happens if Alceste goes home with her?
2. Who wrote the letter given to Acaste and Clitandre at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 4?
3. How does Celimene response to the demands of Oronte and Alceste?
4. Who confronts Celimene in Act 5, Scene 2?
5. What is the confrontation with Célimène about at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of CÃ©limÃ¨ne. Why does she represent social hypocrisy at its worst? Be sure to give specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
How is Oronte the embodiment of Alceste's criticism of humanity? Give an example of why.
Essay Topic 3
What is Celimene's true character? What evidence is provided throughout the play that indicates her character? Do you think this character is the true misanthrope?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)