|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Éliante wants what kind of emotion to pass before she will accept this proposal?
2. In Act 4, Scene 1, what does Eliante learn from Philinte?
3. What word does Célimène call Arsinoé in Act 3, Scene 3?
4. At the end of Act 3, Scene 5, where do Alceste and Arsinoe go?
5. With whom does Celimene say Arsinoe is in love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character Arsinoe as she is seen by herself, and contrast that with how she is seen by Celimene. Explain how Moliere uses the character Arsinoe to show that honesty is no substitute for goodness.
Essay Topic 2
Describe why Alceste can't bring himself to leave CÃ©limÃ¨ne and move on. Does she need him as much as he needs her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of CÃ©limÃ¨ne. Why does she represent social hypocrisy at its worst? Be sure to give specific examples from the play.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)