|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Now that Alceste has seen proof that Celimene has been unfaithful, what does he want Eliante to do?
2. In the beginning of Act 5, Scene 4, who enters the room?
3. Why is Dubois concerned at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 4?
4. Which statement best describes Celimene's inability to choose a suitor?
5. Before Arsinoé arrives, who is just gossiping about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Celimene is easily influenced. Is she more influenced by what people think of her, or is she more influenced by what she thinks of herself? Use her gossip in front of Acaste and Clitandre, as well as her belief in her reputation as a nice person, to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, other women come and go in and out of scenes. What is the general mood of the scene when the other women are present? Do they get along with Celimene and vise verse? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the misanthrope of the play? Provide a detailed explanation to support your answer.
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)