|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What friend of Celimene's is at the door during Act Three, Scene Three?
2. What does Philinte suggest regarding the letter?
3. After hearing Alceste's offer, why does Eliante refuse it?
4. What does Arsinoe think that Alceste should do within the royal court?
5. Before Arsinoé arrives, who is just gossiping about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's wanting readers to think in terms of public opinion rather than legalities when it comes to the court cases of Alceste and CÃ©limÃ¨ne.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of honesty and compassion throughout the play. Be sure to explain the importance of the opening scene between Alceste, Philinte, and the person he meets but cannot remember.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author describe Celimene the way he does? What does Celimene represent? Do you think the author creates this character based on a real person or an ideal of some kind? Why?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)