|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who confronts Celimene in Act 5, Scene 2?
2. Éliante wants what kind of emotion to pass before she will accept this proposal?
3. In Act 5, Scene 2, what Celimene is asked to do?
4. When Act 5, Scene 1 opens, who are Alceste and Philinte waiting for?
5. What friend of Celimene's is at the door during Act Three, Scene Three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1What is the definition of a misanthrope? Be sure to explain why you think the author used that as the title, and whom you think it refers to in the play.
Essay Topic 2What is Celimene's true character? What evidence is provided throughout the play that indicates her character? Do you think this character is the true misanthrope?
Essay Topic 3In Act 1, Scene 2, Oronte asks Alceste and Philinte for an honest opinion about a sonnet he has written. Describe how Oronte's reaction to Alceste's honesty suggests that Oronte was not really asking for an honest opinion. Does Oronte's reaction prove or disprove Alceste's view about hypocrisy in society? Does Philinte's praising the poem prove or disprove Alceste's view about hypocrisy in society? Explain your answers.
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)