|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eliante prefer Celimene do?
2. After turning the conversation to Alceste's love life, what does Arsinoe offers to show Alceste?
3. What is Alceste determined to do about his court case?
4. In court, what honest apology does Alceste give to Oronte regarding the sonnet?
5. Why has Arsinoé come into Act 3, Scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research Moliere and the time period in which he lived. Write a brief summary about what may have motivated Moliere to write "The Misanthrope" and how the play was received by his contemporaries.
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition of a misanthrope? Be sure to explain why you think the author used that as the title, and whom you think it refers to in the play.
Essay Topic 3
In Act 2, Scene 3, CÃ©limÃ¨ne tells Alceste he is not indispensable. Describe why this moment is significant in the play.
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)