|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Alceste state for why he does not want to wait to marry Eliante?
2. In Act 4, Scene 3, Célimène continues to do what?
3. In the beginning of Act 4, Scene 4, what news does Dubois give to Alceste?
4. Célimène wants help from whom at the end of Act 5, Scene 2?
5. Célimène is speaking the truth in Act 4, Scene 3, but is doing so in what way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Alceste and Philinte's views on honesty.
Essay Topic 2
Provide a short discussion about Alceste's court case. What is it concerning? Who is involved? How does he feel about it? Why does he refuse legal councils?
Essay Topic 3
In Act 1, Scene 2, Oronte asks Alceste and Philinte for an honest opinion about a sonnet he has written. Describe how Oronte's reaction to Alceste's honesty suggests that Oronte was not really asking for an honest opinion. Does Oronte's reaction prove or disprove Alceste's view about hypocrisy in society? Does Philinte's praising the poem prove or disprove Alceste's view about hypocrisy in society? Explain your answers.
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)