|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Celimene feel about the new visitor in Act Three, Scene Three?
2. How does Philinte say Alceste's accuser will be harmed?
3. How does Célimène describe Arsinoé in Act 3, Scene 3?
4. What does Alceste and Oronte demand Celimene do in Act Five, Scene Three?
5. What does Eliante feel about Alceste's honesty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of times when one character takes advantage of another. Explore these events and discuss which character is the one that takes advantage. If they do take advantage, why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Act 1, Scene 2, Oronte asks Alceste and Philinte for an honest opinion about a sonnet he has written. Describe how Oronte's reaction to Alceste's honesty suggests that Oronte was not really asking for an honest opinion. Does Oronte's reaction prove or disprove Alceste's view about hypocrisy in society? Does Philinte's praising the poem prove or disprove Alceste's view about hypocrisy in society? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Acaste and Clitandre are antagonists within the play. Explain how and why the two marquis offend or do not offend each of the other characters in the play. Explain why Moliere may have used people of noble rank to be the antagonists.
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)