|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would you sum up Alceste's feelings when he is talking to Célimène in Act 4, Scene 3?
2. Who laughs at the change in behavior by one character when Arsinoé arrives?
3. Who is Eliante happy to marry?
4. Alceste makes another big decision at the end of Act 5, Scene 1. What is it?
5. Alceste is __________ by Celimene's response to his confrontation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the foreshadowing of Alceste waiting for CÃ©limÃ¨ne to make up her mind when an official arrives to speak with him in Act 2, Scene 5.
Essay Topic 2
Research Moliere and the time period in which he lived. Write a brief summary about what may have motivated Moliere to write "The Misanthrope" and how the play was received by his contemporaries.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Alceste and Philinte. How are their views on the world different? How are they alike?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)