|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After telling Alceste the news, what item does Dubois realize he has forgotten to bring to Alceste?
2. What do Acaste and Clitandre do with the letter at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 4?
3. What does Celimene think is unfair?
4. Who is not sympathetic to Célimène in the beginning of Act 5, Scene 3?
5. How does Célimène describe Arsinoé in Act 3, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of events in this play that are ironic. What is the purpose of this irony? Can the irony in any way be providing comic relief? Discuss why you think so or not.
Essay Topic 2
The audience meets Celimene, Alceste's love interest, in Act 2, Scene 1. What does the audience learn about Alceste from:
1. Alceste's belief that he will have to leave Celimene because she does not really love him?
2. Alceste's acceptance of the fact that Celimene is shallow and nice to men when it suits her?
3. Alceste's being tortured over his love for Celimene and his high values of honesty?
Essay Topic 3
As Act 1, Scene 1, opens, Alceste and Philinte are discussing their beliefs in honesty versus politeness. Describe these differences, as the characters see them, between being honest and being polite. Do you agree with either Alceste or Philinte? Explain. Is there a time when being honest is better than being polite? Is there a time when being polite is better than being honest?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)