|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Celimene does not answer, what does Alceste tell her he will do?
2. Célimène wants help from whom at the end of Act 5, Scene 2?
3. Why do all of Celimene's suitors, accept Alceste, leave her?
4. Although two people want Célimène to speak her mind in Act 5, Scene 3, what do they say at the end about that?
5. For what reason does Alceste need to leave town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author describe Celimene the way he does? What does Celimene represent? Do you think the author creates this character based on a real person or an ideal of some kind? Why?
Essay Topic 2
There is jealousy in this play. Discuss how jealousy is presented in this play. Is it in the open for all characters? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The audience meets Celimene, Alceste's love interest, in Act 2, Scene 1. What does the audience learn about Alceste from:
1. Alceste's belief that he will have to leave Celimene because she does not really love him?
2. Alceste's acceptance of the fact that Celimene is shallow and nice to men when it suits her?
3. Alceste's being tortured over his love for Celimene and his high values of honesty?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)