|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 5, Scene 2, who does Celimene ask for help?
2. How does Alceste respond to Arsinoe's suggestion that he play a more official role at court?
3. While waiting for Arsinoe to enter the room, how does Celimene describe her?
4. Who are the primary characters in Act 4, Scene 1?
5. What does Alceste apologize to Oronte for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The audience meets Celimene, Alceste's love interest, in Act 2, Scene 1. What does the audience learn about Alceste from:
1. Alceste's belief that he will have to leave Celimene because she does not really love him?
2. Alceste's acceptance of the fact that Celimene is shallow and nice to men when it suits her?
3. Alceste's being tortured over his love for Celimene and his high values of honesty?
Essay Topic 2
Moliere implies that Celimene is the prettiest woman in the story. If Celimene is so beautiful, why is Philinte attracted to Eliante? What personality traits does Philinte have that would:
1. Make Celimene unattractive to him?
2. Make Alceste his best friend?
3. Make him hold back from expressing his true feelings to Eliante until absolutely necessary?
Essay Topic 3
How do you explain the extreme negativity and irritability of Alceste's character? What signs in the play indicate depression? Be sure to explain whether he is clinically depressed or if his perceptions are the reason for his behavior.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)