|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alceste's most prominent trait?
2. In the last scene of the play, who are the only two characters not in the scene?
3. For what reason does Alceste need to leave town?
4. Why is Alceste upset in Act Five, Scene One?
5. In Act 4, Scene 1, who is talking about what happened to Oronte in court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony is a secondary theme throughout this play. Discuss the various instances that irony is used in the play. Does this technique enhance the play or the characters? If yes, how? If no, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the difference in arrogance in Clitandre and Acaste with that of Alceste. Be sure to mention Alceste's honesty with himself about his situation with CÃ©limÃ¨ne and where he stands with her.
Essay Topic 3
Based on Celimene's behavior and the definition of the word "misanthrope," explain why Celimene is or is not the true misanthrope in Moliere's play.
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)