|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This list that Acaste answers with in Act 3, Scene 1, is what?
2. How does Oronte feel about Alceste's response on wisdom?
3. When Alceste announces his intentions to leave, what does he really want from Celimene?
4. Despite the fact that she is in the middle of an important conversation with Alceste, what does Celimene tell Basque to do?
5. Why does Celimene like visitors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Éliante's reaction to the marriage proposal in Act 4, Scene 2?
2. At the end of Act 2, Scene 4, Alceste tags along with the group going to the gallery, saying he will see which suitor Celimene sends home first. Who do you think Celimene will send home first, and why?
3. Why do Acaste and Clitandre talk privately in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. In Act 3, Scene 5, Arsinoe is finally alone with Alceste. From the conversation that takes place between them, what evidence is there that Arsinoe loves Alceste?
5. Based on the events in Act One, Scene One, what can the reader infer about Alceste's personality?
6. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 5, Basque enters with news of another visitor. What is the difference between this visitor and the other visitors that Celimene receives in the previous scene?
7. In Act Two, Scene Two, why is Alceste upset with Celimene?
8. During their argument, Alceste admits what about Celimene's good looks and good nature?
9. Describe what happens after Basque announces Célimène's other visitor in Act 2, Scene 3.
10. Why is being nice to Clitandre necessary and difficult for Alceste?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the misanthrope of the play? Provide a detailed explanation to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Some of the male suitors are secondary characters in this play. What is their purpose? How do they effect the main action? How do they effect the male main characters? How do the effect Celimene? Do they enhance the play? How?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is Alceste hypocritical even though this is the thing that irritates him most in other people?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)