|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clitandre think of Acaste?
2. To ease his mind, Alceste asks Celimene to end their bickering by doing what?
3. Why might Oronte's being led on by Celimene, as revealed in his sonnet, trigger anger in Alceste?
4. Why does Alceste leave in Act One, Scene Three?
5. What does Celimene hear that gets her excited in Act 3, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Oronte's response to Alceste's critique?
2. Act Two, Scene Two sheds some light into the character's personalities and offers a suggestion to who the true misanthrope may be. Based on this scene, who could the misanthrope be and why?
3. What does Alceste suggest Celimene do in order to stop their arguing?
4. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 5, Basque enters with news of another visitor. What is the difference between this visitor and the other visitors that Celimene receives in the previous scene?
5. Why isn't Eliante sympathetic towards Celimene?
6. Besides Alceste, who could actually be the misanthrope referred to in the title of the play?
7. What happens in Act One, Scene Three that indicates that Alceste may not be as honest as he originally seems?
8. Why does Eliante want Alceste to be happy with Celimene? How does that relate to Philinte's being in love with Alceste?
9. Describe the back and forth mean comments that are masked by being fake in Act 3, Scene 4 between Célimène' and Arsinoé.
10. Celimene is finally asked to make a decision about a suitor in Act 5, Scene 2. Who confronts her, and why?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Alceste's reaction to flattery from CÃ©limÃ¨ne, despite the fact that he wants her to be honest with other men.
Essay Topic 2
Write about Alceste's most prominent character trait and how it hurts him to remain so stubborn over trivial things.
Essay Topic 3
Alceste has a difficult time speaking with Celimene throughout the play. Discuss the events that interrupt this conversation. Are these events or situations intentional or not? Why do you think so? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,352 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)