|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alceste want Celimene to do about the court case?
2. What does Alceste think his love of Celimne can do?
3. Who is being summoned in Act 2, Scene 6?
4. How does Acaste defend himself in Act Three, Scene One?
5. What does Célimène do about the arrival of the latest visitor in Act 2, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Alceste gets upset enough to leave, what indicates that Philinte truly is his friend?
2. In Act 3, Scene 4, how do Celimene's actions towards Arsinoe reveal that she is a false friend?
3. In Act 2, Scene 6, a uniformed man comes to see Alceste. Who is this uniformed man, and what does he want?
4. How does Arsinoé use this opportunity with Alceste in Act 3, Scene 5?
5. Explain the reason Célimène gives to Alceste for opening the door for Acaste in Act 2, Scene 2.
6. How does Celimene react to Oronte and Alceste's request for the truth in Act Five, Scene Two?
7. What is the problem with Alceste being so understanding if Celimene chooses not to speak?
8. How does Philinte demonstrate compassion when Oronte is reading his sonnet?
9. What is Philinte's struggle in Act 1, Scene 3?
10. What do Oronte and Alceste promise in the confrontation in Act 5, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1In Act 2, Scene 3, CÃ©limÃ¨ne tells Alceste he is not indispensable. Describe why this moment is significant in the play.
Essay Topic 2Compare and contrast the characters of Alceste and Philinte. How are their views on the world different? How are they alike?
Essay Topic 3Compare and contrast the relationship between Alceste and CÃ©limÃ¨ne and the one between Alceste and Philinte.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)