|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elinate say about love in Act Two, Scene Four?
2. What is Alceste's reaction when Basque makes this announcement?
3. At the beginning of Act Three, Scene One who talks in private?
4. What does Oronte do when he meets Alceste?
5. Why can't Alceste believe the flattery others give him during Act Two, Scene One?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Alceste's legal case, why does Alceste feel being right should be enough?
2. Why do Oronte and Alceste confront Celimene?
3. Describe the odd love problem between Célimène, Alceste, Philinte, and Éliante.
4. How does Philine reason with Alceste when she becomes upset be his insincerity?
5. Why are both Clitandre and Acaste wasting their time in Act Three, Scene One and do either realize this?
6. Describe the confrontation between Oronte, Alceste, and Célimène at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 2.
7. How does Philinte reassure Alceste in Act Five, Scene One concerning his summons?
8. What seems to be the real reason behind Alceste's bad feelings in Act 1, Scene 1?
9. In Act Three, Scene Five, how does Arsinoe act around Alceste?
10. In Act 4, Scene 4, Alceste and Celimene are once again interrupted during an important conversation. Who interrupts them, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oronte has his day in court in Act Four, Scene One. Why does he go to court, What is the significance of the case, if any? Why does Philinte this is event is funny?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why each suitor (i.e., Alceste, Acaste, Clitandre, and Oronte,) should or should not be Celimene's ultimate companion.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the play, why do you think Celimene continues to see so many suitors? Why doesn't she want to settle down? Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)