|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the women in Act One, Scene One?
2. Why does Oronte gush over Alceste in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What is suggested by the appearance of Alceste's visitor?
4. Célimène will not do what Alceste says in Act 2, Scene 2 because she says she is afraid of what?
5. Who tries to make Celimene make a choice between her visitors?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alceste react to the gossiping in Act 2, Scene 5?
2. Why does Alceste say love is not decided by reason?
3. What happens when Alceste gives his honest opinion of Oronte's sonnet?
4. Act 3, Scene 2, is an example of a transitional scene. From what is the audience being transitioned?
5. Explain Alceste's emotions as he witnesses another visitor come to see Célimène in Act 2, Scene 2.
6. When Celimene gossips about members of the royal court to Clitandre and Acaste, why does this upset Alceste?
7. What is Celimene's response for allowing visitors?
8. Besides Alceste, who could actually be the misanthrope referred to in the title of the play?
9. Why doesn't Eliante take advantage of Alceste's anger and marry him?
10. Based on the remarks of the other characters in Act Two, Scene Four, what is said about Celimene's personality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What two things does the reader learn from the argument between Philine and Alceste? Identify the points in the argument that lead the reader to this discovery. Why does the author use an argument to make his point? Can he express these issues in a different way?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is when an author uses an object or situation to say something he does not explicitly put into words. What symbolism is there in the non-disclosure to the audience of the details about both Alceste's and Celimene's lawsuits? Use points from the story to support your view.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship between Alceste and CÃ©limÃ¨ne and the one between Alceste and Philinte.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)