|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Célimène in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. How does Alceste answer Oronte in Act 1, Scene 2 after they first meet?
3. Why is Alceste upset in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. How does Celimene react when Alceste questions her love for him?
5. Who is the main character of Act 3, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Célimène get excited when she hears someone at the door in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. Why does Alceste say love is not decided by reason?
3. Why do you think Alceste cannot flatter Oronte just a little bit?
4. At the time "The Misanthrope" was written, there were no telephones or cell phones. How do you think someone would know that Alceste was at Celimene's house?
5. In Alceste's anger he asks Eliante to marry him. Why does Eliante not marry Alceste while she has the chance?
6. Oronte asks Alceste and Philinte for an honest opinion of his sonnet. Why does Alceste warn Oronte before he begins reading the sonnet?
7. How does Alceste respond when Celemine invites a visitor inside during their conversation?
8. Alceste has been led on by Celimene for quite some time. Why does he now say he will understand if she cannot choose between Alceste and Oronte?
9. How does Alceste react to the gossiping in Act 2, Scene 5?
10. Give an example of Célimène's hypocrisy in Act 3, Scene 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you explain the extreme negativity and irritability of Alceste's character? What signs in the play indicate depression? Be sure to explain whether he is clinically depressed or if his perceptions are the reason for his behavior.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the underlying theme of unfaithfulness in the play and how each character views being faithful or unfaithful. At what point during the play do you believe Alceste knows that Celimene has been unfaithful to him? Use Alceste's actions to support your view.
Essay Topic 3
Celimene is easily influenced. Is she more influenced by what people think of her, or is she more influenced by what she thinks of herself? Use her gossip in front of Acaste and Clitandre, as well as her belief in her reputation as a nice person, to support your explanation.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)