|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Alceste plan to change Celimene?
2. What does Oronte's sonnet say about Celimene's kindness towards him?
3. How does Oronte feel about Alceste's response on wisdom?
4. What is Philinte's view on honesty?
5. After Alceste reacts to the news of a second visitor, what does Celimene ask Alceste to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Celimene's response when Alceste confronts her about the letter to Oronte?
2. What is Célimène's reaction to Alceste trying to break up with her in Act 4, Scene 3?
3. Describe what Alceste means when he says he doesn't know which is worse, false friendship or ridicule in Act 2, Scene 4.
4. Based on the remarks of the other characters in Act Two, Scene Four, what is said about Celimene's personality?
5. In Act 2, Scene 5, who do you think Éliante is referring to when she says, "When a man truly loves, he loves faults and all"?
6. Why is being nice to Clitandre necessary and difficult for Alceste?
7. Philinte encourages Alceste to appeal the verdict from his lawsuit. What are Alceste's reasons for not appealing the verdict?
8. At the time "The Misanthrope" was written, there were no telephones or cell phones. How do you think someone would know that Alceste was at Celimene's house?
9. In Act Two, Scene Four, what are the two opinions about loves held by Alceste and Eliante?
10. Act 3, Scene 3, shows Celimene at her worst. What does Celimene do to her friend Arsinoe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the play, what do we know about the court case involving Alceste? What details have been revealed since the opening scene? Who is his accuser? What is the court symbolic of?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Alceste and Philinte's views on honesty.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Oronte's sonnet. What is the sonnet about? Who is it written for? How does Alceste feel about the sonnet? What does Alceste tell Oronte he thinks about it? What is the specific reason this sonnet is not good?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)