Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Célimène described physically?
2. When Célimène tells Alceste he's mad for staying, what does she mean?
3. How does Philinte feel about Oronte's sonnet?
4. Who is Acaste?
5. Who does the man in the street hug?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Oronte and Alceste confront Celimene?
2. Explain the reason Célimène gives to Alceste for opening the door for Acaste in Act 2, Scene 2.
3. What is Celimene's response for allowing visitors?
4. Besides the court case, describe what else we learn about Alceste's life in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. In Act Two, Scene Six, why does Philinte think the officer is there for Alceste?
6. Describe what Alceste means when he says he doesn't know which is worse, false friendship or ridicule in Act 2, Scene 4.
7. In Act 3, Scene 3, how does Célimène's reaction when she hears Arsinoé is at the door differ from her reaction when suitors arrive?
8. How does Alceste respond when Celemine invites a visitor inside during their conversation?
9. Why does Celimene becomes annoyed during Act Three, Scene Three?
10. Oronte asks Alceste and Philinte for an honest opinion of his sonnet. Why does Alceste warn Oronte before he begins reading the sonnet?
There is jealousy in this play. Discuss how jealousy is presented in this play. Is it in the open for all characters? Why or why not?
Compare and contrast Alceste and Philinte's views on honesty.
Compare and contrast the characters of ArsinoÃ© and Alceste. Explain how each approaches honesty.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)