|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After arguing with Philinte, why does Alceste decide to leave?
2. Where does Alceste's visitor tell Alceste he is wanted?
3. The other suitors have a laugh at whose expense?
4. How does Oronte chastise his subject in the sonnet?
5. Who are the two marquis in Act 3, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. The entire cast, with the exception of Dubois and Basque, are in the room for the last scene of the play. What has Arsinoe brought before them that makes Celimene's suitors leave her?
2. At the end of Act 3, Scene 5, Arsinoe tells Alceste she has evidence that Celimene is not the wife for him. What do you believe is Alceste's motivation for leaving with Arsinoe to show him that evidence?
3. In Act 2, Scene 4, Celimene and Alceste are joined by the two marquis, Clitandre and Acaste. What are their relationships with Celimene?
4. Alceste has just decided to stay at Celimene's to see which suitor she sends home first. Why is Alceste the first to leave, and what was the reaction of Philinte and Celimene's other suitors?
5. Alceste claims to value honesty as a most important virtue, but how is he not quite being honest in Act 2, Scene 3?
6. What is notable about Célimène telling Alceste that he is not indispensable in Act 2, Scene 3?
7. Act 2, Scene 1, opens with Alceste and Celimene arguing. What is the relationship between Alceste and Celimene?
8. Why is Alceste so upset with Philinte in Act One, Scene Three, and what does he do in his anger?
9. When Celimene gossips about members of the royal court to Clitandre and Acaste, why does this upset Alceste?
10. What do we learn is the result of Alceste's court case in Act 5, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the male suitors are secondary characters in this play. What is their purpose? How do they effect the main action? How do they effect the male main characters? How do the effect Celimene? Do they enhance the play? How?
Essay Topic 2
In Act 1, Scene 2, Oronte asks Alceste and Philinte for an honest opinion about a sonnet he has written. Describe how Oronte's reaction to Alceste's honesty suggests that Oronte was not really asking for an honest opinion. Does Oronte's reaction prove or disprove Alceste's view about hypocrisy in society? Does Philinte's praising the poem prove or disprove Alceste's view about hypocrisy in society? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the foreshadowing of Alceste waiting for CÃ©limÃ¨ne to make up her mind when an official arrives to speak with him in Act 2, Scene 5.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)