|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the conversation in Act 2, Scene 4, Philinte points out that Alceste does not like whom?
2. After Oronte leaves, why do Philinte and Alceste argue?
3. Who pressures Célimène to make a choice about her suitors?
4. Why does Alceste not fully trust that Celimene loves him?
5. What does the officer's uniform tell the characters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alceste not break off his relationship with Celimene?
2. What event leads to Alceste and Eliante discussing marriage in Act Four, Scene Two?
3. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 5, Basque enters with news of another visitor. What is the difference between this visitor and the other visitors that Celimene receives in the previous scene?
4. In Act 4, Scene 1, what does Philinte say happens to Alceste in court?
5. How does Philinte demonstrate compassion when Oronte is reading his sonnet?
6. How does Celimene react to Oronte and Alceste's request for the truth in Act Five, Scene Two?
7. Why is Alceste disgusted in Philinte?
8. What is Alceste's reaction to finding a letter written by Célimène in Act 4, Scene 2?
9. In Alceste's anger he asks Eliante to marry him. Why does Eliante not marry Alceste while she has the chance?
10. What happens in Act One, Scene Three that indicates that Alceste may not be as honest as he originally seems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe why Alceste can't bring himself to leave CÃ©limÃ¨ne and move on. Does she need him as much as he needs her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character Arsinoe as she is seen by herself, and contrast that with how she is seen by Celimene. Explain how Moliere uses the character Arsinoe to show that honesty is no substitute for goodness.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of CÃ©limÃ¨ne. Why does she represent social hypocrisy at its worst? Be sure to give specific examples from the play.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)