|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alceste's response to Basque's news at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 5?
2. Why does Alceste say he is staying?
3. What is the most honest thing Celemine says to Alceste in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. Who does the man in the street hug?
5. When Alceste announces his intentions to leave, what does he really want from Celimene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Act 3, Scene 2, is an example of a transitional scene. From what is the audience being transitioned?
2. Alceste becomes very upset and decides to leave when Basque announces a second visitor. What should Celimene do to convince Alceste to stay?
3. In Act Two, Scene Two, why is Alceste upset with Celimene?
4. Act 2, Scene 1, opens with Alceste and Celimene arguing. What is the relationship between Alceste and Celimene?
5. The entire cast, with the exception of Dubois and Basque, are in the room for the last scene of the play. What has Arsinoe brought before them that makes Celimene's suitors leave her?
6. What possible symbolism could the fact that Alceste's visitor is wearing a uniform have?
7. How does Arsinoé use this opportunity with Alceste in Act 3, Scene 5?
8. What is Celimene's reaction to Alceste's bluff of leaving?
9. In Act 2, Scene 6, a uniformed man comes to see Alceste. Who is this uniformed man, and what does he want?
10. In Act 2, Scene 2, Alceste is in the middle of his argument with Celimene when Basque announces a visitor. Why does Celimene invite the visitor inside? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Provide a short discussion about Alceste's court case. What is it concerning? Who is involved? How does he feel about it? Why does he refuse legal councils?
Essay Topic 2
What do the characters Philinte and Eliante represent in Moliere's vision of a hypocritical society? What do the characters Clitandre, Acaste, and Arsinoe represent? Cite examples from the book as evidence.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Oronte's sonnet. What is the sonnet about? Who is it written for? How does Alceste feel about the sonnet? What does Alceste tell Oronte he thinks about it? What is the specific reason this sonnet is not good?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)