|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Célimène described in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. What news does the new visitor have for one of the characters?
3. What kind of person does Alceste portray himself as?
4. What is Celimene accused of in Act Two, Scene One?
5. In Act 2, Scene 4, two marquis enter the room. Who are they?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Act 2, Scene 3 reveal about the relationship between Célimène and Alceste?
2. How does Alceste react to the gossiping in Act 2, Scene 5?
3. At the end of Act 2, Scene 4, Alceste tags along with the group going to the gallery, saying he will see which suitor Celimene sends home first. Who do you think Celimene will send home first, and why?
4. Celimene and Alceste have differing views about Celimene's reputation. What does each believe her reputation is?
5. Compare and contrast Alceste's discouragement of behavior in Célimène with the marquis' encouragement of some of her behavior in Act 2, Scene 4.
6. In Act 2, Scene 2, Alceste is in the middle of his argument with Celimene when Basque announces a visitor. Why does Celimene invite the visitor inside? Explain.
7. What is Oronte's response to Alceste's critique?
8. Describe what happens after Basque announces Célimène's other visitor in Act 2, Scene 3.
9. Why does Clitandre find Acastes response to his questions amusing?
10. Alceste claims to value honesty as a most important virtue, but how is he not quite being honest in Act 2, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Celimene likes to control social situations. Cite at least three situations in the play, including specific details about each situation, that illustrate how Celimene likes to be in control.
Essay Topic 2
Flattery is a secondary theme throughout the play. Who encourages or looks for flattery? Who does not like flattery? Discuss the different characters and their feelings toward receiving and giving flattery.
Essay Topic 3
What details of Alceste's proposal to Eliante reveal that he is not the honest person he claims to be? Use quotes from Alceste's dialogue to support your view.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)