|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom is Alceste in love with?
2. What is Philinte's involvement in Act 2, Scene 5?
3. What is Alceste's response to Basque's news at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 5?
4. How does Alceste feel about the friendship?
5. What does Celimene hear that gets her excited in Act 3, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act Three, Scene Five, what is suggested about Alceste's honesty?
2. How does Oronte react to Alceste? What do you think his impression is of him?
3. At the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1, Philinte and Acaste are once again waiting for Celimene. What are Alceste and Philinte discussing?
4. At the end of Act 2, Scene 4, Alceste tags along with the group going to the gallery, saying he will see which suitor Celimene sends home first. Who do you think Celimene will send home first, and why?
5. What is the reaction of the other characters toward Alceste being summoned to court?
6. What does Act 2, Scene 3 reveal about the relationship between Célimène and Alceste?
7. In Act Two, Scene Six, why does Philinte think the officer is there for Alceste?
8. Describe Alceste's intentions and the result of his relationship with Célimène in Act 4, Scene 3.
9. What is Alceste's plan for the future now that the court case is settled?
10. Why is Dubios flustered in Act Four, Scene Four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the difference in arrogance in Clitandre and Acaste with that of Alceste. Be sure to mention Alceste's honesty with himself about his situation with CÃ©limÃ¨ne and where he stands with her.
Essay Topic 2
Moliere implies that Celimene is the prettiest woman in the story. If Celimene is so beautiful, why is Philinte attracted to Eliante? What personality traits does Philinte have that would:
1. Make Celimene unattractive to him?
2. Make Alceste his best friend?
3. Make him hold back from expressing his true feelings to Eliante until absolutely necessary?
Essay Topic 3
In Act 2, Scene 3, CÃ©limÃ¨ne tells Alceste he is not indispensable. Describe why this moment is significant in the play.
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)