|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Alceste jealous of?
2. How does Alceste distinguish himself among his company?
3. After Acaste's defense, Clitandre himself gets defensive and uses which word to describe Acaste?
4. In Act Two, Scene Three, what does the reader learn about Alceste's position in Celimene's life?
5. Who talks about hating hypocrisy in the beginning of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Act 2, Scene 1, opens with Alceste and Celimene arguing. What is the relationship between Alceste and Celimene?
2. Philinte encourages Alceste to appeal the verdict from his lawsuit. What are Alceste's reasons for not appealing the verdict?
3. What series of events in Act Two, Scene Three leads to an argument between Celimene and Alceste?
4. What does Oronte's sonnet say about Celimene?
5. Why do Oronte and Alceste confront Celimene?
6. In Act 1, Scene 2, describe how Alceste reacts when Oronte hugs him and asks for his friendship. How does Alceste's reaction tie in with his view of hypocrisy?
7. The two marquis, Acaste and Clitandre, speak alone in Act 3, Scene 1. Explain what evidence there is in their private conversation that they are both arrogant.
8. The previous two visitors, Acaste and Clitandre, both came to see Celimene. When they arrived, Alceste protested the interruption. How do you think Celimene might have felt now that Alceste has a visitor?
9. What is Celimene's reaction to Alceste's bluff of leaving?
10. Why are both Clitandre and Acaste wasting their time in Act Three, Scene One and do either realize this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of times when one character takes advantage of another. Explore these events and discuss which character is the one that takes advantage. If they do take advantage, why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the play, what do we know about the court case involving Alceste? What details have been revealed since the opening scene? Who is his accuser? What is the court symbolic of?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, other women come and go in and out of scenes. What is the general mood of the scene when the other women are present? Do they get along with Celimene and vise verse? Explain your answer.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)