|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Act 2, Scene 5?
2. During the conversation in Act 2, Scene 4, Philinte points out that Alceste does not like whom?
3. Who is Basque?
4. Célimène's reputation, whether she knows it or not, is really what?
5. What does Alceste think about Philinte response to the sonnet?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Celimene accepts a visit from Clitandre, how does Alceste test Celimene to see if she really loves Alceste?
2. Why does Eliante want Alceste to be happy with Celimene? How does that relate to Philinte's being in love with Alceste?
3. Explain the reason Célimène gives to Alceste for opening the door for Acaste in Act 2, Scene 2.
4. In Act Three, Scene Five, what is suggested about Alceste's honesty?
5. Why do you think Alceste cannot flatter Oronte just a little bit?
6. Why does Alceste grieve?
7. Why does Philinte want Alceste not to be so honest about his thoughts on Oronte's love poem?
8. What could be the reason Celimene has trouble being honest with people?
9. In Act 3, Scene 5, Arsinoe is finally alone with Alceste. From the conversation that takes place between them, what evidence is there that Arsinoe loves Alceste?
10. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 5, Basque enters with news of another visitor. What is the difference between this visitor and the other visitors that Celimene receives in the previous scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the feeling of the play at the beginning of Act Two, Scene One? Discuss this mood and the reasons for it. Are certain characters experiencing certain feelings. What are they and what are the reasons for these feelings?
Essay Topic 2
How do you explain the extreme negativity and irritability of Alceste's character? What signs in the play indicate depression? Be sure to explain whether he is clinically depressed or if his perceptions are the reason for his behavior.
Essay Topic 3
Alceste has a difficult time speaking with Celimene throughout the play. Discuss the events that interrupt this conversation. Are these events or situations intentional or not? Why do you think so? Explain your answer.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)