|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Alceste believe Célimène when she says she only loves him?
2. When Alceste announces his intentions to leave, what does he really want from Celimene?
3. Which word best describes Act 2, Scene 5?
4. During the conversation in Act 2, Scene 4, Philinte points out that Alceste does not like whom?
5. Where does Act One, Scene One open?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 4, Celimene and Alceste are joined by the two marquis, Clitandre and Acaste. What are their relationships with Celimene?
2. At the time "The Misanthrope" was written, there were no telephones or cell phones. How do you think someone would know that Alceste was at Celimene's house?
3. What does it mean when Philinte says, "One should not blame human beings for their faults, any more than one would blame vultures or wolves for being what they are?"
4. What is Celimene's reaction to Alceste's bluff of leaving?
5. How does Philinte reassure Alceste in Act Five, Scene One concerning his summons?
6. In Act 2, Scene 5, who do you think Éliante is referring to when she says, "When a man truly loves, he loves faults and all"?
7. What does Célimène do when Alceste refuses to leave in Act 2, Scene 5?
8. Oronte asks Alceste and Philinte for an honest opinion of his sonnet. Why does Alceste warn Oronte before he begins reading the sonnet?
9. What is Éliante's view of Célimène in the beginning of Act 5, Scene 3?
10. When Eliante enters the room, Celimene asks Eliante for help in selecting a suitor. Does Celimene really want help, or does she just want attention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of ArsinoÃ© and Alceste. Explain how each approaches honesty.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 1, Scene 2, Oronte asks Alceste and Philinte for an honest opinion about a sonnet he has written. Describe how Oronte's reaction to Alceste's honesty suggests that Oronte was not really asking for an honest opinion. Does Oronte's reaction prove or disprove Alceste's view about hypocrisy in society? Does Philinte's praising the poem prove or disprove Alceste's view about hypocrisy in society? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the foreshadowing of Alceste waiting for CÃ©limÃ¨ne to make up her mind when an official arrives to speak with him in Act 2, Scene 5.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)