|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By her actions in Act 2, Scene 2, what opinion of Alceste's has Celimene proven to be correct?
2. At the end of Act 2, Scene 3, what does Celimene finally tell Alceste?
3. What causes Alceste to become so upset during Act One, Scene Three?
4. During their discussion in Act 3, scene 1, Clitandre teases Acaste about what?
5. Why does Alceste plan to confront Celimene about her behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Oronte and Alceste promise in the confrontation in Act 5, Scene 2?
2. At the end of Act 3, Scene 5, Arsinoe tells Alceste she has evidence that Celimene is not the wife for him. What do you believe is Alceste's motivation for leaving with Arsinoe to show him that evidence?
3. Why is Dubios flustered in Act Four, Scene Four?
4. What is Philinte's struggle in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What does Alceste suggest Celimene do in order to stop their arguing?
6. Act Two, Scene Two sheds some light into the character's personalities and offers a suggestion to who the true misanthrope may be. Based on this scene, who could the misanthrope be and why?
7. At the end of Act 3, Scene 1, to what compromise do Acaste and Clitandre come, and why or why not will their compromise work?
8. What is Éliante's view of Célimène in the beginning of Act 5, Scene 3?
9. Celimene and Alceste have differing views about Celimene's reputation. What does each believe her reputation is?
10. The two marquis, Acaste and Clitandre, speak alone in Act 3, Scene 1. Explain what evidence there is in their private conversation that they are both arrogant.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's wanting readers to think in terms of public opinion rather than legalities when it comes to the court cases of Alceste and CÃ©limÃ¨ne.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why each suitor (i.e., Alceste, Acaste, Clitandre, and Oronte,) should or should not be Celimene's ultimate companion.
Essay Topic 3
What do the characters Philinte and Eliante represent in Moliere's vision of a hypocritical society? What do the characters Clitandre, Acaste, and Arsinoe represent? Cite examples from the book as evidence.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)