|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Oronte wants Alceste to be honest about what?
2. How does Oronte show his friendly affection for Alceste?
3. What is Alceste's reaction when Basque makes this announcement?
4. Where does Act One, Scene One open?
5. What does Alceste wait for Celimene to do in Act Two, Scene Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alceste grieve?
2. What does Alceste suggest Celimene do in order to stop their arguing?
3. What is the real reason Alceste seems disgusted by Philinte's run with someone he doesn't know but pretends to?
4. The entire cast, with the exception of Dubois and Basque, are in the room for the last scene of the play. What has Arsinoe brought before them that makes Celimene's suitors leave her?
5. Describe Alceste's reaction when Philinte thinks he is being summoned because he made fun of Oronte's sonnet.
6. What is notable about Célimène telling Alceste that he is not indispensable in Act 2, Scene 3?
7. At the end of Act 3, Scene 5, Arsinoe tells Alceste she has evidence that Celimene is not the wife for him. What do you believe is Alceste's motivation for leaving with Arsinoe to show him that evidence?
8. In the end, Celimene and Alceste go their separate ways. Do you think at some future time Celimene and Alceste will reconcile?
9. When Eliante enters the room, Celimene asks Eliante for help in selecting a suitor. Does Celimene really want help, or does she just want attention?
10. Alceste has been led on by Celimene for quite some time. Why does he now say he will understand if she cannot choose between Alceste and Oronte?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Alceste and Philinte's views on honesty.
Essay Topic 2
Research Moliere and the time period in which he lived. Write a brief summary about what may have motivated Moliere to write "The Misanthrope" and how the play was received by his contemporaries.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is Alceste hypocritical even though this is the thing that irritates him most in other people?
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)