|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Oronte's work upset Alceste?
2. Who is Oronte?
3. After Oronte leaves, why do Philinte and Alceste argue?
4. How does Celimene react when Alceste questions her love for him?
5. Based on Act Two, Scene Two, who is the true misanthrope of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Oronte reads his sonnet to Philinte and Alceste, what is revealed about his relationship with Celimene?
2. What happens when Alceste gives his honest opinion of Oronte's sonnet?
3. What possible symbolism could the fact that Alceste's visitor is wearing a uniform have?
4. What does Oronte want from Alceste and how does he react when he gets what he wants.?
5. In Act Four, Scene One, Alceste's honesty comes out. What are his remarks about Oronte's sonnet?
6. Describe the back and forth mean comments that are masked by being fake in Act 3, Scene 4 between Célimène' and Arsinoé.
7. After hearing Oronte's sonnet, what description of Oronte's relationship with Celimene may have led to Alceste's harsh words?
8. How does Alceste feel when Célimène tries to explain away the other men?
9. What is the significance of the man at the door in Act Two, Scene Five?
10. What is Alceste's reaction to finding a letter written by Célimène in Act 4, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the underlying theme of unfaithfulness in the play and how each character views being faithful or unfaithful. At what point during the play do you believe Alceste knows that Celimene has been unfaithful to him? Use Alceste's actions to support your view.
Essay Topic 2
What are three things in the play at which Alceste fails, and why?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is Alceste hypocritical even though this is the thing that irritates him most in other people?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)