|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Celimene?
2. As Act 3, Scene 1 opens, who does Clitandre ask if they are content?
3. How does Alceste feel about Celimene's proposed love for him?
4. What does Basque do regarding this new character?
5. On their way to Celimen's home, Philinte tells Alceste that one should not blame human beings for their ______?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Act 2, Scene 4, Alceste tags along with the group going to the gallery, saying he will see which suitor Celimene sends home first. Who do you think Celimene will send home first, and why?
2. How does Philinte demonstrate compassion when Oronte is reading his sonnet?
3. Do you think Alceste thinks Célimène is a hypocrite in Act 2, Scene 2? Why or why not?
4. What is the reaction of the other characters toward Alceste being summoned to court?
5. At the beginning of scene 1, Philinte is hugged by a man he barely knows. How does Philinte react and why?
6. Why doesn't Eliante take advantage of Alceste's anger and marry him?
7. After hearing the news from Dubois about the note left by a friend, why does Alceste think there must be some mistake?
8. What does Dubois interrupt when he comes to deliver the letter in Act 4, Scene 4?
9. Celimene and Alceste have differing views about Celimene's reputation. What does each believe her reputation is?
10. Why does Philinte think Alceste is being summoned to the royal court in Act 2, Scene 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 1, Scene 2, Oronte asks Alceste and Philinte for an honest opinion about a sonnet he has written. Describe how Oronte's reaction to Alceste's honesty suggests that Oronte was not really asking for an honest opinion. Does Oronte's reaction prove or disprove Alceste's view about hypocrisy in society? Does Philinte's praising the poem prove or disprove Alceste's view about hypocrisy in society? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 2, Scene 3, CÃ©limÃ¨ne tells Alceste he is not indispensable. Describe why this moment is significant in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Oronte has his day in court in Act Four, Scene One. Why does he go to court, What is the significance of the case, if any? Why does Philinte this is event is funny?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)