|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, we discover Alceste wishes he could do what?
(a) Stop being honest.
(b) Run away from his court case.
(c) Start being dishonest.
(d) Stop loving Célimène.
2. What does Clitandre think of Acaste?
(a) He is deluded.
(b) He is very insightful.
(c) He may win Celimene with his charm.
(d) He would be good for Celimene.
3. What do Acaste and Clitandre agree to do if Celimene shows a preference to one of them?
(a) They will no longer be friends.
(b) The other will try harder.
(c) The other will back off.
(d) They will fight.
4. How does Oronte react to Alceste's opinion of his work?
(a) He becomes angry, defensive, and threatening.
(b) He leaves without saying a word.
(c) He begins to cry.
(d) He is overjoyed.
5. After Alceste reacts to the news of a second visitor, what does Celimene ask Alceste to do?
(a) Celimene asks Alceste to be nice.
(b) Celimene asks Alceste for his help in entertaining the guests.
(c) Celimene asks Alceste to stay.
(d) Celimene asks Alceste to set the table for dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 2, who enters the room?
2. What does Alceste say about people's ridicule and false friendship?
3. In Act 2, Scene 4, two marquis enter the room. Who are they?
4. Based on Act Two, Scene Two, who is the true misanthrope of the play?
5. Who are the two marquis in Act 3, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act Four, Scene One, Alceste's honesty comes out. What are his remarks about Oronte's sonnet?
2. In Alceste's anger he asks Eliante to marry him. Why does Eliante not marry Alceste while she has the chance?
3. Why does Célimène get excited when she hears someone at the door in Act 3, Scene 2?
4. What does Alceste accuse Célimène of and why?
5. How does Alceste react to the gossiping in Act 2, Scene 5?
6. What do Oronte and Alceste have in common?
7. After hearing Oronte's sonnet, what description of Oronte's relationship with Celimene may have led to Alceste's harsh words?
8. How does Alceste respond when Celemine invites a visitor inside during their conversation?
9. Alceste becomes very upset and decides to leave when Basque announces a second visitor. What should Celimene do to convince Alceste to stay?
10. Why does Alceste not break off his relationship with Celimene?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)