|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Philinte's theory about why Alceste is being called upon by a man in a uniform?
(a) Alceste's lawsuit.
(b) Alceste's insults about Oronte's sonnet.
(c) Alceste's argument with Celimene.
(d) Alceste's dislike of the royal court.
2. What does Alceste encourage Celimene of doing in Act Two, Scene One?
(a) Making men fall in love with her.
(b) Denying men.
(c) Flirting with men.
(d) Lying to men.
3. Why does Celimene accept the new visitor?
(a) She likes the attention.
(b) She is in love with the new visitor.
(c) She like the tension.
(d) She does not want to offend.
4. What is the relationship between Alceste and Philiminte?
5. Who indicates that Oronte's sonnet is horrible and he does not back down from that criticism?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do we know about Célimène's past?
2. What is another theme in this play, in addition to honesty?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is a source of contention between Alceste and others?
4. Who are the two marquis in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. Which word best describes Celimene's real reputation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that is interesting while Alceste is waiting for Célimène to make up her mind in Act 2, Scene 5?
2. Describe Alceste's intentions and the result of his relationship with Célimène in Act 4, Scene 3.
3. Alceste becomes very upset and decides to leave when Basque announces a second visitor. What should Celimene do to convince Alceste to stay?
4. In Act 2, Scene 6, a uniformed man comes to see Alceste. Who is this uniformed man, and what does he want?
5. At the end of Act 3, Scene 5, Arsinoe tells Alceste she has evidence that Celimene is not the wife for him. What do you believe is Alceste's motivation for leaving with Arsinoe to show him that evidence?
6. Describe what happens after Basque announces Célimène's other visitor in Act 2, Scene 3.
7. How does Celimene take revenge on Arsinoe in Act Three, Scene Four?
8. Describe the confrontation between Oronte, Alceste, and Célimène at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 2.
9. Describe Alceste's behavior in court, as told to Éliante by Philinte in Act 4, Scene 1.
10. Why do Oronte and Alceste confront Celimene?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)