|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This list that Acaste answers with in Act 3, Scene 1, is what?
(a) Medium length.
(c) Very short.
(d) Somewhat short.
2. Despite the fact that she is in the middle of an important conversation with Alceste, what does Celimene tell Basque to do?
(a) Celimene tells Basque to visit with Acaste until she is done.
(b) Celimene tells Basque she does not want to see anyone.
(c) Celimene tells Basque to show Acaste up.
(d) Celimene tells Basque to go away.
3. What causes Alceste to become so upset during Act One, Scene Three?
(a) Oronte's sonnet.
(b) There are too many men present.
(c) He is not accepted.
4. What kind of person awaits Alceste in Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) Someone in a uniform.
(b) Someone on a bike.
(c) A court jester.
(d) Someone from a restaurant.
5. What is Alceste's response to Basque's news at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) Alceste tells Basque to sit down.
(b) Alceste tells Basque to send his visitor up.
(c) Alceste tells Basque to send his visitor away.
(d) Alceste tells Basque to leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Alceste grieving in Act Two, Scene One?
2. Who tries to make Celimene make a choice between her visitors?
3. Which word best describes Act 2, Scene 5?
4. Who is not in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 4?
5. Why does Alceste say he is staying?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the end, Celimene and Alceste go their separate ways. Do you think at some future time Celimene and Alceste will reconcile?
2. What does it mean when Philinte says, "One should not blame human beings for their faults, any more than one would blame vultures or wolves for being what they are?"
3. Why does Alceste grieve?
4. After hearing Oronte's sonnet, what description of Oronte's relationship with Celimene may have led to Alceste's harsh words?
5. In Act 4, Scene 4, Alceste and Celimene are once again interrupted during an important conversation. Who interrupts them, and why?
6. What series of events in Act Two, Scene Three leads to an argument between Celimene and Alceste?
7. At the end of Act 2, Scene 4, Alceste tags along with the group going to the gallery, saying he will see which suitor Celimene sends home first. Who do you think Celimene will send home first, and why?
8. Though Celimene admits she loves Alceste, why does he not fully believe her?
9. After hearing the news from Dubois about the note left by a friend, why does Alceste think there must be some mistake?
10. Describe what happens after Basque announces Célimène's other visitor in Act 2, Scene 3.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)