|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tries to intervene between Oronteo and Alceste in Act One, Scene Two?
(d) The servant.
2. What is Alceste's opinion of Oronte's work?
(a) He is jealous of it.
(b) He has a negative opinion.
(c) He likes it.
(d) He has no opinion.
3. Why can't Alceste believe the flattery others give him during Act Two, Scene One?
(a) Good sense.
(b) He is blind to the truth.
(c) They are liers.
(d) He recieves no flattery.
4. Who does the new character ask to be his friend?
5. What do we know about Célimène's past?
(a) She is engaged in this scene.
(b) She is married.
(c) She was a young widow.
(d) She was engaged once.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alceste's visitor tell Alceste he is wanted?
2. What does Alceste tell Philinte as he leaves?
3. In Act 2, Scene 5, what is the man who asks to see Alceste wearing?
4. Where are the women in Act One, Scene One?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is a source of contention between Alceste and others?
Short Essay Questions
1. During their argument, Alceste admits what about Celimene's good looks and good nature?
2. What happens in Act One, Scene Three that indicates that Alceste may not be as honest as he originally seems?
3. Why isn't Eliante sympathetic towards Celimene?
4. Why do you think Alceste cannot flatter Oronte just a little bit?
5. What is Celimene's response when Alceste confronts her about the letter to Oronte?
6. What is the real reason Alceste seems disgusted by Philinte's run with someone he doesn't know but pretends to?
7. What is the reaction of the other characters toward Alceste being summoned to court?
8. What is the meaning of Célimène re-entering the room in Act 3, Scene 2?
9. How does Celimene take revenge on Arsinoe in Act Three, Scene Four?
10. What is the overall feeling in this Act Two, Scene Five?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)