|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Philinte's theory about why Alceste is being called upon by a man in a uniform?
(a) Alceste's insults about Oronte's sonnet.
(b) Alceste's lawsuit.
(c) Alceste's argument with Celimene.
(d) Alceste's dislike of the royal court.
2. How does Oronte feel about Alceste's response on wisdom?
(a) He is not wise.
(b) They think they same.
(c) He is wise.
(d) He is insane.
3. Oronte asks Alceste to critique what?
(a) His clothes.
(b) A newspaper story he has written.
(c) His girlfriend.
(d) A sonnet he has written.
4. In Act 3, Scene 2, who enters the room?
5. Why does Alceste say love is not decided by reason?
(a) Alceste plans to break up with Celimene.
(b) Philinte should be in love with Eliante, but is not.
(c) Alceste knows Eliante is a better match for him than Celimene.
(d) Love is an unreasonable thing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alceste tell Philinte as he leaves?
2. Who is Philinte?
3. How does Alceste answer Oronte in Act 1, Scene 2 after they first meet?
4. Who talks about hating hypocrisy in the beginning of the play?
5. Who praises Oronte's work throughout his reading?
Short Essay Questions
1. Alceste claims to value honesty as a most important virtue, but how is he not quite being honest in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. What is suggested by Dubios' frantic entrance and exit in Act Four, Scene Four?
3. In Act 2, Scene 6, a uniformed man comes to see Alceste. Who is this uniformed man, and what does he want?
4. When Act 3, Scene 5 ends, what does Arsinoé turn the conversation to?
5. When Alceste gets upset enough to leave, what indicates that Philinte truly is his friend?
6. At the end of Act 2, Scene 4, Alceste tags along with the group going to the gallery, saying he will see which suitor Celimene sends home first. Who do you think Celimene will send home first, and why?
7. Why doesn't Eliante take advantage of Alceste's anger and marry him?
8. What does Alceste do when Célimène refuses to move the country?
9. Why is Alceste disgusted in Philinte?
10. Why do Acaste and Clitandre talk privately in Act 3, Scene 1?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)