|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides Alceste, who also has a case pending in court?
2. Why does Alceste get upset at Acaste and Clitandre in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) Because they are taking up his time with her.
(b) They are encouraging Célimène's gossiping.
(c) Célimène says she loves them best.
(d) They won't leave.
3. When Basque enters the room again, who does he announce has also come to see Celimene?
4. What does Célimène do about the arrival of the latest visitor in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) She tells him to go away.
(b) She says the only person that can visit is Acaste.
(c) She says the only person that can visit is Alceste.
(d) She lets him in.
5. How does Celimene feel when someone is at the door?
Short Answer Questions
1. While discussing Alceste's criticism of Oronte's sonnet, what question does Philinte ask of Alceste?
2. Why does Celimene like visitors?
3. In Act 2, Scene 3, who announces the arrival of another guest downstairs for Célimène?
4. Which word best describes Act 2, Scene 5?
5. This list that Acaste answers with in Act 3, Scene 1, is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Celimene's reaction to Alceste's bluff of leaving?
2. Why does Alceste not break off his relationship with Celimene?
3. What is the meaning of Célimène re-entering the room in Act 3, Scene 2?
4. Celimene constantly worries about her own reputation. Does the way Celimene talks about Arsinoe to her other visitors help or hurt Celimene's reputation?
5. What is Oronte's response to Alceste's critique?
6. In the end, Celimene and Alceste go their separate ways. Do you think at some future time Celimene and Alceste will reconcile?
7. Compare and contrast Alceste's discouragement of behavior in Célimène with the marquis' encouragement of some of her behavior in Act 2, Scene 4.
8. Describe what Alceste means when he says he doesn't know which is worse, false friendship or ridicule in Act 2, Scene 4.
9. How does Oronte react to Alceste? What do you think his impression is of him?
10. Why does Arsinoe go to Celimeme's home?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)