|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alceste want Celimene to do about the new suitor?
(a) Send him away.
(b) Let him in.
(c) State she is not interested.
(d) Introduces him to her cousin.
2. Alceste continues to stand by his thoughts in Act 2, Scene 6 about what?
(a) That Célimène is beautiful.
(b) That the other suitors are better than he is.
(c) That the sonnet was horrible.
(d) That Philinte has hard feelings toward him.
3. Act 2, Scene 1, starts with a heated discussion between which two characters?
(a) Alceste and Celimene.
(b) Alceste and Philinte.
(c) Oronte and Celimene.
(d) Alceste and Eliante.
4. What medical problem is Alceste suspected on having?
5. Who is representing that kind of hypocrisy in the beginning of the play, according to the person who complains of hating hypocrisy?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most honest thing Celemine says to Alceste in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. What does the officer's uniform tell the characters?
3. What does Célimène do about the arrival of the latest visitor in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. During Act 2 Scene 4, how does Celimene react to Alceste's pressuring her into a decision?
5. Who goes to see Célimène in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Celimene react to Oronte and Alceste's request for the truth in Act Five, Scene Two?
2. In Act 3, Scene 3, how does Célimène's reaction when she hears Arsinoé is at the door differ from her reaction when suitors arrive?
3. How does Arsinoé use this opportunity with Alceste in Act 3, Scene 5?
4. Describe what Alceste means when he says he doesn't know which is worse, false friendship or ridicule in Act 2, Scene 4.
5. What is Alceste's reaction when Basque says there is someone at the door for him in Act 2, Scene 5?
6. What is Éliante's view of Célimène in the beginning of Act 5, Scene 3?
7. Act 3, Scene 2, is an example of a transitional scene. From what is the audience being transitioned?
8. In Act 3, Scene 4, how do Celimene's actions towards Arsinoe reveal that she is a false friend?
9. What is the meaning of Célimène re-entering the room in Act 3, Scene 2?
10. Why are both Clitandre and Acaste wasting their time in Act Three, Scene One and do either realize this?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)