|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, we are introduced to yet another suitor of Célimène's. Who?
2. Why does Celimene accept the new visitor?
(a) She like the tension.
(b) She does not want to offend.
(c) She likes the attention.
(d) She is in love with the new visitor.
3. What does Alceste think about Philinte response to the sonnet?
(a) He is confused by the response.
(b) He praises Philinte.
(c) He scolds Philinte.
(d) He understands Philinte.
4. How does Oronte react to Alceste's opinion of his work?
(a) He begins to cry.
(b) He is overjoyed.
(c) He becomes angry, defensive, and threatening.
(d) He leaves without saying a word.
5. What does Celimene threaten to do if Alceste continues being suspicious of her?
(a) To stop being Alceste's friend.
(b) To marry Philinte instead.
(c) To never speak to Alceste again.
(d) To retract her declaration of love.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Basque enters the room again, who does he announce has also come to see Celimene?
2. What does Alceste want Celimene to tell Basque?
3. Who is Acaste?
4. How many lines are in Act 3, Scene 2?
5. In Act 2, Scene 5, what does Alceste receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Célimène do when Alceste refuses to leave in Act 2, Scene 5?
2. Why does Philinte want Alceste not to be so honest about his thoughts on Oronte's love poem?
3. What do Oronte and Alceste have in common?
4. Explain Alceste's emotions as he witnesses another visitor come to see Célimène in Act 2, Scene 2.
5. Act 3, Scene 2, consists only of one line. Explain what happens during the scene and what it has to do with the theme of the play.
6. When Oronte reads his sonnet to Philinte and Alceste, what is revealed about his relationship with Celimene?
7. What does it mean when Philinte says, "One should not blame human beings for their faults, any more than one would blame vultures or wolves for being what they are?"
8. Why is Alceste disgusted in Philinte?
9. Act 4, Scene 3, begins with Alceste's confronting Celimene. How does Celimene react that is confusing to Alceste?
10. What does Oronte's sonnet say about Celimene?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)