|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alceste want Celimene to tell Basque?
(a) That she and Alceste are in the middle of something more important.
(b) That she is not home.
(c) That she will see Acaste later.
(d) That she is not receiving any other visitors.
2. What does Philinte do once Alceste leaves?
(d) Does not follow.
3. During Act 2 Scene 4, how does Celimene react to Alceste's pressuring her into a decision?
(a) Celimene makes a decision.
(b) Celimene brushes him off.
(c) Celimene tells him to leave.
(d) Celimene decides to marry Alceste.
4. Who is the man in uniform that arrives in Act 2, Scene 6?
(b) Marshal's Sergeant-at-Arms.
5. What is Celimene accused of in Act Two, Scene One?
(a) Being a snob.
(b) Being indecisive.
(c) Turning away all man.
(d) Turning away no man.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Oronte reads his sonnet to Alceste and Philinte, for what does he ask?
2. How does Alceste feel about his visitor?
3. During Act One, Scene Three, who is arguing?
4. What is Alceste's response after he hears Philinte's theory about the summons?
5. Who could not remember the man's name that hugged him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Celimene is unable to make a decision about whether she prefers Alceste or Oronte. Why do you believe she cannot decide?
2. What could be the reason Celimene has trouble being honest with people?
3. How does Philinte reassure Alceste in Act Five, Scene One concerning his summons?
4. How does Célimène react to Alceste's insistence to choose in Act 2, Scene 4?
5. Though Celimene admits she loves Alceste, why does he not fully believe her?
6. Give an example of Célimène's hypocrisy in Act 3, Scene 4.
7. What is Philinte's struggle in Act 1, Scene 3?
8. In Act Two, Scene Six, why does Philinte think the officer is there for Alceste?
9. Act 3, Scene 2, is an example of a transitional scene. From what is the audience being transitioned?
10. When Act 3, Scene 5 ends, what does Arsinoé turn the conversation to?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)