|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Oronte reads his sonnet to Alceste and Philinte, for what does he ask?
(a) A pen so he can make corrections to the poem.
(b) He wants Alceste and Philinte to tell him how good it is.
(c) An honest opinion of his poem.
(d) He asks Alceste and Philinte to keep the poem a secret.
2. Act 2, Scene 1, starts with a heated discussion between which two characters?
(a) Alceste and Eliante.
(b) Alceste and Philinte.
(c) Oronte and Celimene.
(d) Alceste and Celimene.
3. What is the only honest thing that Célimène has said so far into Act 2, Scene 3 in the play?
(a) That Acaste is better looking than Alceste.
(b) That Basque is a servant.
(c) That Alceste is not indispensable.
(d) That she loves Alceste more than Acaste.
4. When Alceste leaves Celimene's house, who goes with him?
5. Why does Celimene question the genuineness of Alceste's high principles in front of her visitors?
(a) Celimene thinks Alceste is humorous.
(b) Celimene believes Alceste is a fake.
(c) Celimene says Alceste is trying to distinguish himself.
(d) Celimene does not believe in principles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the new visitor in Act Two, Scene Two?
2. What do we know about Célimène's past?
3. Why does Alceste hate humanity?
4. What is Philinte's view on honesty?
5. Before Alceste receives his visitor, what is he waiting for Celimene to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Célimène's letter is read aloud in Act 5, Scene 4?
2. Why does Act Five, Scene One seem like a repeat for Act One, Scene One?
3. Explain Alceste's emotions as he witnesses another visitor come to see Célimène in Act 2, Scene 2.
4. Describe what Alceste means when he says he doesn't know which is worse, false friendship or ridicule in Act 2, Scene 4.
5. What is Éliante's reaction to the marriage proposal in Act 4, Scene 2?
6. Celimene constantly worries about her own reputation. Does the way Celimene talks about Arsinoe to her other visitors help or hurt Celimene's reputation?
7. What is the overall feeling in this Act Two, Scene Five?
8. At the end of Act 2, Scene 4, Alceste tags along with the group going to the gallery, saying he will see which suitor Celimene sends home first. Who do you think Celimene will send home first, and why?
9. What is Celimene's response for allowing visitors?
10. Why do Oronte and Alceste confront Celimene?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)