|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elinate say about love in Act Two, Scene Four?
(a) True love does not exist.
(b) One can have many true loves.
(c) True love includes love of one's faults.
(d) Love conquers all.
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, of what is Celimene accused?
(a) Celimene is accused of encouraging men to fall in love with her.
(b) Celimene is accused of cheating on Philinte.
(c) Celimene is accused of being lazy.
(d) Celimene is accused of being mean to Oronte.
3. What is the definition of marquis?
(a) A sign in front of a movie theater.
(b) A nobleman ranking below a duke and above an earl.
(c) A person of great importance.
(d) Another name for a judge.
4. What does Philinte do once Alceste leaves?
(d) Does not follow.
5. What affect is Celimene's inviting Acaste inside having on Celimene's reputation?
(a) Inviting Acaste inside has no affect on Celimene's reputation.
(b) Inviting Acaste inside is helping Celimene's reputation as a nice person.
(c) Inviting Acaste inside is the only way to improve Celimene's reputation.
(d) Inviting Acaste inside is reinforcing Celimene's reputation as a flirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Celimene re-enter the room?
2. Why do Acaste and Clitandre begin naming members in Act 2, Scene 4?
3. Alceste tells Celimene that he needs reassurance of what?
4. Why does Alceste refuse to get legal help with the lawsuit in which he is involved?
5. How does Celimene feel when someone is at the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Alceste thinks Célimène is a hypocrite in Act 2, Scene 2? Why or why not?
2. At the end of Act 2, Scene 4, Alceste tags along with the group going to the gallery, saying he will see which suitor Celimene sends home first. Who do you think Celimene will send home first, and why?
3. In Act Two, Scene Six, why does Philinte think the officer is there for Alceste?
4. Celimene and Arsinoe trade insults in Act 3, Scene 4. Who starts the insults, and how does the conversation end?
5. In Act Two, Scene Four, what are the two opinions about loves held by Alceste and Eliante?
6. How might Alceste have flattered Oronte's sonnet and still have been honest?
7. What are Celimene's feelings when she hears someone at the door?
8. Why do Oronte and Alceste confront Celimene?
9. What does Alceste do when Célimène refuses to move the country?
10. What is Oronte's response to Alceste's critique?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)