|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alceste state the other suitors does not do if they truly love Celimene?
(a) Pressure her.
(b) Smother her.
(c) Aruge between themselves.
(d) Encourage her faults.
2. To Alceste, what is worse, people's false friendship or their ridicule?
(a) They are equally bad.
(b) False friendship.
(c) He doesn't know.
3. In Act 1, Philinte meets a man on the street who hugs him and acts like his best friend. What is embarrassing about this situation?
(a) Philinte does not like the man.
(b) Philinte does not like to be hugged.
(c) Philinte cannot remember the man's name.
(d) Men should not hug each other.
4. Why does Clitandre tease Acaste?
(a) He asks why Acaste hangs around Célimène if he doesn't have a chance with her.
(b) He makes fun of his clothes.
(c) He makes fun of his list of qualities.
(d) He makes fun of his haircut.
5. Who is Alceste jealous of?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Act 2, Scene 5?
2. Who says, "One shouldn't blame human beings for their faults, any more than one would blame vultures or wolves for being what they are."
3. Who is Eliante?
4. When Oronte reacts to Alceste's opinion about his sonnet, who intervenes?
5. In Act 2, Scene 4, two marquis enter the room. Who are they?
Short Essay Questions
1. What possible symbolism could the fact that Alceste's visitor is wearing a uniform have?
2. Describe Alceste's intentions and the result of his relationship with Célimène in Act 4, Scene 3.
3. At the end of Act 2, Scene 4, Alceste tags along with the group going to the gallery, saying he will see which suitor Celimene sends home first. Who do you think Celimene will send home first, and why?
4. Act 2, Scene 1, opens with Alceste and Celimene arguing. What is the relationship between Alceste and Celimene?
5. Why does Alceste say love is not decided by reason?
6. What happens after Célimène's letter is read aloud in Act 5, Scene 4?
7. Alceste has been led on by Celimene for quite some time. Why does he now say he will understand if she cannot choose between Alceste and Oronte?
8. At the end of Act 3, Scene 1, to what compromise do Acaste and Clitandre come, and why or why not will their compromise work?
9. What are the feelings from the other characters regarding the sonnet?
10. The two marquis, Acaste and Clitandre, speak alone in Act 3, Scene 1. Explain what evidence there is in their private conversation that they are both arrogant.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)