|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the man in uniform that arrives in Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) Marshal's Sergeant-at-Arms.
2. Why may Celimene be afraid to reject Clitandre?
(a) Because Celimene likes Clitandre.
(b) Because Celimene is afraid Clitandre will hurt Alceste.
(c) Because he is a big man.
(d) Because he is influential in court.
3. What is Alceste unable to do for others or for himself?
(c) Have empathy.
(d) Be honest.
4. Oronte's leaving suggests what about his asking for honest opinions on his sonnet?
(a) That Oronte thinks the poem is better than it is.
(b) That Oronte is not very nice.
(c) That Oronte really wants flattery, not honesty.
(d) That Oronte does not like Alceste and Philinte.
5. While discussing Alceste's criticism of Oronte's sonnet, what question does Philinte ask of Alceste?
(a) Why he does not leave instead of Oronte.
(b) Why he invites Oronte over.
(c) Why he does not applaud after Oronte reads his sonnet.
(d) Why he does not flatter Oronte.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Celimene's real reputation?
2. Despite the fact that she is in the middle of an important conversation with Alceste, what does Celimene tell Basque to do?
3. During Act 2 Scene 4, how does Celimene react to Alceste's pressuring her into a decision?
4. What do Acaste and Clitandre agree to do if Celimene shows a preference to one of them?
5. How does Acaste defend himself in Act Three, Scene One?
Short Essay Questions
1. Act 3, Scene 2, is an example of a transitional scene. From what is the audience being transitioned?
2. What is Alceste's reaction to finding a letter written by Célimène in Act 4, Scene 2?
3. During the conversation in Act 2, Scene 4, Alceste is accused of what?
4. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 5, Basque enters with news of another visitor. What is the difference between this visitor and the other visitors that Celimene receives in the previous scene?
5. By Act Five, Scene Four, why are Arsinoe's efforts to get Alceste in vain?
6. What is the reaction of the other characters toward Alceste being summoned to court?
7. At the beginning of scene 1, Philinte is hugged by a man he barely knows. How does Philinte react and why?
8. Though Celimene admits she loves Alceste, why does he not fully believe her?
9. In Act 2, Scene 5, who do you think Éliante is referring to when she says, "When a man truly loves, he loves faults and all"?
10. Based on the events in Act One, Scene One, what can the reader infer about Alceste's personality?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)