|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the two marquis in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) Clitandre and Eliante.
(b) Celimene and Acaste.
(c) Clitandre and Acaste.
(d) Philinte and Alceste.
2. What is one way to describe Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Average length.
(b) Longer than the rest.
(c) Very long.
(d) Very brief.
3. Why does Alceste say love is not decided by reason?
(a) Alceste plans to break up with Celimene.
(b) Alceste knows Eliante is a better match for him than Celimene.
(c) Philinte should be in love with Eliante, but is not.
(d) Love is an unreasonable thing.
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, Philinte is trying to find out what?
(a) Why Oronte is crying.
(b) Why Alceste likes Célimène.
(c) Why Alceste is crying.
(d) Why Alceste is so upset.
5. While Celimene and her suitors are talking, who enters wearing a uniform?
(a) The Marshal's Sergeant-at-Arms.
(b) A court magistrate.
(c) A police officer.
(d) The Queen's guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of Oronte's sonnet?
2. Who thinks Acaste does not have a chance with Celimene?
3. After Philinte points out who Alceste does not like, what flaw in Alceste's personality does Philinte observe?
4. Who might be the misanthropes of the play?
5. Who pressures Célimène to make a choice about her suitors?
Short Essay Questions
1. During their argument, Alceste admits what about Celimene's good looks and good nature?
2. What is Alceste's reaction to finding a letter written by Célimène in Act 4, Scene 2?
3. What is Philinte's struggle in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. Why does Eliante want Alceste to be happy with Celimene? How does that relate to Philinte's being in love with Alceste?
5. At the end of Act 2, Scene 4, Alceste tags along with the group going to the gallery, saying he will see which suitor Celimene sends home first. Who do you think Celimene will send home first, and why?
6. Compare and contrast Alceste's discouragement of behavior in Célimène with the marquis' encouragement of some of her behavior in Act 2, Scene 4.
7. Describe Alceste's behavior in court, as told to Éliante by Philinte in Act 4, Scene 1.
8. In Act 1, Scene 2, describe how Alceste reacts when Oronte hugs him and asks for his friendship. How does Alceste's reaction tie in with his view of hypocrisy?
9. How does Philinte reassure Alceste in Act Five, Scene One concerning his summons?
10. Though Celimene admits she loves Alceste, why does he not fully believe her?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)