|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would Celimene's being overly nice to her two visitors offend Alceste?
(a) Alceste believes Celimene is being hypocritical.
(b) Alceste wants Celimene to be more social.
(c) Alceste does not care about being nice to anyone.
(d) Alceste thinks people are taking advantage of Celimene.
2. In Act 2, Scene 4, two marquis enter the room. Who are they?
(a) Philinte and Alceste.
(b) Clitandre and Acaste.
(c) Oronte and Clitandre.
(d) Philinte and Acaste.
3. Why does Alceste get upset at Acaste and Clitandre in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) They are encouraging Célimène's gossiping.
(b) Célimène says she loves them best.
(c) They won't leave.
(d) Because they are taking up his time with her.
4. This list that Acaste answers with in Act 3, Scene 1, is what?
(a) Very short.
(b) Medium length.
(c) Somewhat short.
5. What is suggested by the appearance of Alceste's visitor?
(a) He is a chauffer.
(b) He is an official.
(c) He just got off work.
(d) He works for Celimene.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Oronte reacts to Alceste's opinion about his sonnet, who intervenes?
2. Why does Alceste hate humanity?
3. Whose help does Celimene want for her court case?
4. Who wants to confront Célimène about her behavior?
5. What happens after Oronte leaves the Act One, Scene Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the discussion between Acaste and Clitandre about?
2. How does Celimene represent the things that Alceste hates?
3. Why does Célimène get excited when she hears someone at the door in Act 3, Scene 2?
4. In Act Three, Scene Five, how does Arsinoe act around Alceste?
5. What does Alceste accuse Celimene of doing?
6. How does Oronte react to Alceste? What do you think his impression is of him?
7. Act 3, Scene 2, is an example of a transitional scene. From what is the audience being transitioned?
8. In Act Four, Scene One, Alceste's honesty comes out. What are his remarks about Oronte's sonnet?
9. What is Alceste's plan for the future now that the court case is settled?
10. Explain Alceste's emotions as he witnesses another visitor come to see Célimène in Act 2, Scene 2.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)