|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Oronte's reading of his sonnet to Philinte and Alceste, how does Philinite react to the poem?
(a) Philinte praises the sonnet.
(b) Philinte thinks the poem should be rewritten.
(c) Philinte says the sonnet is horrible.
(d) Philinte points out ways the sonnet could be better.
2. What news does the new visitor have for one of the characters?
(a) Summon to the royal court.
(b) A telegram from his distand family.
(c) He must get to work.
(d) He wants to fight for Celimene's heart.
3. Why does Célimène have the reaction she does when she thinks someone is at the door?
(a) She doesn't like the suitor that is arriving.
(b) She has many suitors and doesn't want them to find out about each other.
(c) She is annoyed by Basque.
(d) She loves attention.
4. Who is Alceste the most jealous of in terms of Célimène?
5. The other suitors have a laugh at whose expense?
Short Answer Questions
1. Acaste and Clitandre start naming members of what in Act 2, Scene 4?
2. When Oronte reacts to Alceste's opinion about his sonnet, who intervenes?
3. How does Alceste feel about Celimene's proposed love for him?
4. After Alceste reacts to the news of a second visitor, what does Celimene ask Alceste to do?
5. As Act 3, Scene 1 opens, who does Clitandre ask if they are content?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Alceste's reaction when Basque says there is someone at the door for him in Act 2, Scene 5?
2. What is Éliante's reaction to the marriage proposal in Act 4, Scene 2?
3. What is the reaction of the other characters toward Alceste being summoned to court?
4. Why would it do Alceste some good to flatter Oronte?
5. Alceste claims to value honesty as a most important virtue, but how is he not quite being honest in Act 2, Scene 3?
6. Oronte asks Alceste and Philinte for an honest opinion of his sonnet. Why does Alceste warn Oronte before he begins reading the sonnet?
7. In Act Two, Scene Two, why is Alceste upset with Celimene?
8. Why does Act Five, Scene One seem like a repeat for Act One, Scene One?
9. In Act Three, Scene Five, what is suggested about Alceste's honesty?
10. What possible symbolism could the fact that Alceste's visitor is wearing a uniform have?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)