Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Célimène described physically?
(a) Average looking.
(b) Somewhat pretty.
(c) Very attractive.
(d) Very ugly.
2. When Célimène tells Alceste he's mad for staying, what does she mean?
(a) He's very upset.
(b) He's angry.
(c) He's sad.
(d) He's crazy.
3. How does Philinte feel about Oronte's sonnet?
(a) It makes her cry.
(b) She is indifferent.
(c) She praises it.
(d) She despises it.
4. Who is Acaste?
(a) Philinte's friend.
(b) Alceste's brother
(c) Alceste's friend.
(d) One of two marquis who pursue CÃ©limÃ¨ne.
5. Who does the man in the street hug?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Celimene feel about one of her visitors wanting to leave?
2. What does Alceste want Celimene to do about the new suitor?
3. What is another theme in this play, in addition to honesty?
4. What happens when Alceste complains about the other encouraging Celimene's gossip?
5. While Oronte is reading his sonnet, what does Alceste whisper to Philinte?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Oronte and Alceste confront Celimene?
2. Explain the reason Célimène gives to Alceste for opening the door for Acaste in Act 2, Scene 2.
3. What is Celimene's response for allowing visitors?
4. Besides the court case, describe what else we learn about Alceste's life in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. In Act Two, Scene Six, why does Philinte think the officer is there for Alceste?
6. Describe what Alceste means when he says he doesn't know which is worse, false friendship or ridicule in Act 2, Scene 4.
7. In Act 3, Scene 3, how does Célimène's reaction when she hears Arsinoé is at the door differ from her reaction when suitors arrive?
8. How does Alceste respond when Celemine invites a visitor inside during their conversation?
9. Why does Celimene becomes annoyed during Act Three, Scene Three?
10. Oronte asks Alceste and Philinte for an honest opinion of his sonnet. Why does Alceste warn Oronte before he begins reading the sonnet?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)