|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Basque makes his announcement, whom does it involve?
2. When hugged by a man on the street, why does Philinte say he responded so politely?
(a) To teach Alceste a lesson about politeness.
(b) So he would not offend the man.
(c) Because he is a nice guy.
(d) So he would not offend Alceste.
3. What is the first honest thing Celimene says in Act Two, Scene Three?
(a) Professes her love for Clitandre.
(b) States she is not interested in any of the men.
(c) Professes her love for Alceste.
(d) Calls Alceste's bluff.
4. Why does Basque answer the door at Celimene's house?
(a) Celimene asks him to do so.
(b) He is leaving the house.
(c) He likes to open doors.
(d) He is her butler.
5. What does Alceste think about Philinte response to the sonnet?
(a) He understands Philinte.
(b) He is confused by the response.
(c) He scolds Philinte.
(d) He praises Philinte.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Oronte reads his sonnet to Alceste and Philinte, for what does he ask?
2. Which word best describes Act 2, Scene 5?
3. What does Oronte do when he meets Alceste?
4. Why does Alceste say he is staying?
5. What affect is Celimene's inviting Acaste inside having on Celimene's reputation?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the time "The Misanthrope" was written, there were no telephones or cell phones. How do you think someone would know that Alceste was at Celimene's house?
2. After Celimene accepts a visit from Clitandre, how does Alceste test Celimene to see if she really loves Alceste?
3. Describe the character of Célimène?
4. Philinte argues with his friend Alceste that humans should not be blamed for their faults. What example does Philinte give to explain his reasoning?
5. Celimene and Arsinoe trade insults in Act 3, Scene 4. Who starts the insults, and how does the conversation end?
6. Why does Celimene becomes annoyed during Act Three, Scene Three?
7. Act Two, Scene Two sheds some light into the character's personalities and offers a suggestion to who the true misanthrope may be. Based on this scene, who could the misanthrope be and why?
8. What does Dubois interrupt when he comes to deliver the letter in Act 4, Scene 4?
9. In Act 1, Scene 2, describe how Alceste reacts when Oronte hugs him and asks for his friendship. How does Alceste's reaction tie in with his view of hypocrisy?
10. At the end of Act 2, Scene 3, Celimene decides not to tolerate Alceste's behavior and tells him to leave. What does this reveal about Celimene's true feelings for Alceste?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)