|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after Oronte leaves the Act One, Scene Three?
(a) Everyone else leaves.
(b) There is an argument.
(c) Everyone is relieved.
(d) Everyone is saddened.
2. As it appears, how does Célimène string along her suitors?
(b) By baking them treats.
(c) Telling each of them he is the only one she loves.
(d) Her good looks.
3. Which word best describes the symbolism of Alceste's visitor arriving just as he is waiting for Celimene's judgment on their relationship?
4. Where is someone being summoned to in Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) Town square.
(b) The capitol building.
(c) The governor's office.
(d) The royal court.
5. Who is Eliante?
(a) Alceste's sister.
(b) Philinte's wife.
(c) The maid.
(d) Celimene's cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. To Alceste, what is worse, people's false friendship or their ridicule?
2. Why does Alceste not fully trust that Celimene loves him?
3. What is the definition of a misanthrope?
4. In Act 2, Scene 4, two marquis enter the room. Who are they?
5. When Basque enters the room again, who does he announce has also come to see Celimene?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alceste feel about Celimene by Act Five, Scene Four?
2. Explain the reason Célimène gives to Alceste for opening the door for Acaste in Act 2, Scene 2.
3. In Act Two, Scene Six, why does Philinte think the officer is there for Alceste?
4. Why do Acaste and Clitandre talk privately in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. Alceste has just decided to stay at Celimene's to see which suitor she sends home first. Why is Alceste the first to leave, and what was the reaction of Philinte and Celimene's other suitors?
6. The previous two visitors, Acaste and Clitandre, both came to see Celimene. When they arrived, Alceste protested the interruption. How do you think Celimene might have felt now that Alceste has a visitor?
7. How do Oronte's and Alceste's views on Célimène waiver in Act 5,
8. What happens after Célimène's letter is read aloud in Act 5, Scene 4?
9. Based on the remarks of the other characters in Act Two, Scene Four, what is said about Celimene's personality?
10. Why is Alceste so upset with Philinte in Act One, Scene Three, and what does he do in his anger?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)