|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What affect is Celimene's inviting Acaste inside having on Celimene's reputation?
(a) Inviting Acaste inside is helping Celimene's reputation as a nice person.
(b) Inviting Acaste inside is reinforcing Celimene's reputation as a flirt.
(c) Inviting Acaste inside has no affect on Celimene's reputation.
(d) Inviting Acaste inside is the only way to improve Celimene's reputation.
2. Who scolds the person for not remembering the man's name after they hugged?
3. In Act Two, Scene Three, who is also downstairs?
4. What is suggested by the appearance of Alceste's visitor?
(a) He is a chauffer.
(b) He just got off work.
(c) He works for Celimene.
(d) He is an official.
5. In Act 2, Scene 5, what is the man who asks to see Alceste wearing?
(b) A uniform.
(c) A suit of armor.
(d) A tuxedo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alceste refuse to get legal help with the lawsuit in which he is involved?
2. Who wants to confront Célimène about her behavior?
3. At first, how does Célimène react to Alceste's reaction to the visitor in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. Why do Acaste and Clitandre begin naming members in Act 2, Scene 4?
5. Célimène accuses Alceste of using his principles as a way to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the real reason Alceste seems disgusted by Philinte's run with someone he doesn't know but pretends to?
2. There is a social game being played during Act Three, Scene Three. What are two reasons Alceste does not want to play the game?
3. Why does Celimene becomes annoyed during Act Three, Scene Three?
4. In Act 2, Scene 2, Alceste is in the middle of his argument with Celimene when Basque announces a visitor. Why does Celimene invite the visitor inside? Explain.
5. In Act Two, Scene Two, why is Alceste upset with Celimene?
6. At the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1, Philinte and Acaste are once again waiting for Celimene. What are Alceste and Philinte discussing?
7. What does Alceste suggest Celimene do in order to stop their arguing?
8. Why does Alceste not break off his relationship with Celimene?
9. What is Philinte's struggle in Act 1, Scene 3?
10. The entire cast, with the exception of Dubois and Basque, are in the room for the last scene of the play. What has Arsinoe brought before them that makes Celimene's suitors leave her?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)