|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While listening to Oronte's sonnet, what might Alceste have learned that he does not want to share with Philinte?
(a) That Oronte's situation with Celimene is similar to his own.
(b) That Alceste loves himself more than he loves Celimene.
(c) That Alceste is not an honest person.
(d) That Oronte loves Celimene more than Alceste does.
2. What is Alceste's reaction when Basque makes this announcement?
(a) He is shocked.
(b) He is surprised.
(c) He gets very angry.
(d) He yells at Célimène.
3. Who does Alceste's reason say is a better match for him?
(d) No one.
4. On their way to Celimen's home, Philinte tells Alceste that one should not blame human beings for their ______?
5. What happens when Alceste complains about the other encouraging Celimene's gossip?
(b) The others agree.
(c) His is ridiculed.
(d) He is asked to leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alceste response to the sonnet?
2. What is Philinte's involvement in Act 2, Scene 5?
3. What is Célimène accused of in terms of love?
4. In Act 2, Scene 5, what is the man who asks to see Alceste wearing?
5. Who is Basque?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the discussion between Acaste and Clitandre about?
2. What is the real reason Alceste seems disgusted by Philinte's run with someone he doesn't know but pretends to?
3. Why does Eliante find Alceste's honesty heroic?
4. Celimene is unable to make a decision about whether she prefers Alceste or Oronte. Why do you believe she cannot decide?
5. What could be the reason Celimene has trouble being honest with people?
6. What does Célimène do when Alceste refuses to leave in Act 2, Scene 5?
7. The previous two visitors, Acaste and Clitandre, both came to see Celimene. When they arrived, Alceste protested the interruption. How do you think Celimene might have felt now that Alceste has a visitor?
8. What is the significance of the man at the door in Act Two, Scene Five?
9. Explain the reason Célimène gives to Alceste for opening the door for Acaste in Act 2, Scene 2.
10. Describe what happens after Basque announces Célimène's other visitor in Act 2, Scene 3.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)