|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who re-enters the room in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. When Act 2, Scene 5 opens, who enters with a message for Alceste?
3. What does Philinte think about the summons in Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) He thinks he has committed a crime.
(b) He thinks it is because of the insult to Oronte's sonnet.
(c) He thinks it is about Célimène's many suitors.
(d) He thinks there is no reason for it.
4. Who does the man in the street hug?
5. How does Alceste answer Oronte in Act 1, Scene 2 after they first meet?
(a) He apologizes him.
(b) He says their friendship needs time to grow.
(c) He turns away.
(d) He yells at back at him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Alceste believe the flattery others give him during Act Two, Scene One?
2. What happens after Oronte's response to Alceste's reaction to his sonnet?
3. Why may Celimene be afraid to reject Clitandre?
4. What is suggested by the appearance of Alceste's visitor?
5. Does Alceste believe Célimène when she says she only loves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Alceste so upset with Philinte in Act One, Scene Three, and what does he do in his anger?
2. When Act 3, Scene 5 ends, what does Arsinoé turn the conversation to?
3. Compare and contrast Alceste's discouragement of behavior in Célimène with the marquis' encouragement of some of her behavior in Act 2, Scene 4.
4. Act 3, Scene 3, shows Celimene at her worst. What does Celimene do to her friend Arsinoe?
5. Alceste claims to value honesty as a most important virtue, but how is he not quite being honest in Act 2, Scene 3?
6. In Act Three, Scene One, why does Clitandre find Acaste's response to his question amusing?
7. What is Éliante's view of Célimène in the beginning of Act 5, Scene 3?
8. How does Celimene react to Oronte and Alceste's request for the truth in Act Five, Scene Two?
9. In the end, Celimene and Alceste go their separate ways. Do you think at some future time Celimene and Alceste will reconcile?
10. What is the discussion between Acaste and Clitandre about?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)