|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alceste react to the news of the latest visitor in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) He throws an angry fit but will stay.
(b) He begins to fight with Basque.
(c) He prepares to stay.
(d) He prepares to leave.
2. How does Alceste react to the news of yet another visitor?
(a) Alceste is glad to have another visitor.
(b) Alceste says he is leaving.
(c) Alceste decides he does not love Celimene.
(d) Alceste invites himself to dinner.
3. When Alceste leaves, what does Philinte try to find out from Alceste?
(a) Why Alceste loves Celimene.
(b) Why Alceste is so upset.
(c) Why Philinte cannot come with Alceste.
(d) Why Alceste dislikes Oronte.
4. Who is the officer there for?
5. Célimène will not do what Alceste says in Act 2, Scene 2 because she says she is afraid of what?
(a) Offending Alceste.
(b) Offending Ã‰liante.
(c) Offending Acaste.
(d) Offending Basque.
Short Answer Questions
1. By her actions in Act 2, Scene 2, what opinion of Alceste's has Celimene proven to be correct?
2. What is Acaste's response to Clitandre's questioning?
3. After Oronte leaves in Act 1, scene 3, what does Philinte ask Alceste?
4. Whom is Alceste in love with?
5. Why can't Alceste believe the flattery others give him during Act Two, Scene One?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Philinte demonstrate compassion when Oronte is reading his sonnet?
2. What happens that is interesting while Alceste is waiting for Célimène to make up her mind in Act 2, Scene 5?
3. What is the reaction of the other characters toward Alceste being summoned to court?
4. In Act Three, Scene Five, how does Arsinoe act around Alceste?
5. At the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1, Philinte and Acaste are once again waiting for Celimene. What are Alceste and Philinte discussing?
6. When Alceste gets upset enough to leave, what indicates that Philinte truly is his friend?
7. At the end of Act 3, Scene 5, Arsinoe tells Alceste she has evidence that Celimene is not the wife for him. What do you believe is Alceste's motivation for leaving with Arsinoe to show him that evidence?
8. In Act Three, Scene One, why does Clitandre find Acaste's response to his question amusing?
9. How does Celimene represent the things that Alceste hates?
10. Why is being nice to Clitandre necessary and difficult for Alceste?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)