|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most honest thing Celemine says to Alceste in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) That Celemine is leading Alceste on.
(b) That Oronte is her true love.
(c) That Celemine likes to flirt.
(d) That Alceste is not indespensible to her.
2. What does Philinte do once Alceste leaves?
(d) Does not follow.
3. After arguing with Philinte, why does Alceste decide to leave?
(a) Alceste is upset.
(b) Alceste is mad at Celimene.
(c) Alceste is hungry.
(d) Alceste has to go to work.
4. What does Alceste say about people's ridicule and false friendship?
(a) Neither is worse than fails love.
(b) He does not know which is worse.
(c) People's ridicule is worse.
(d) False friendship is worse.
5. What is Philinte's theory about why Alceste is being called upon by a man in a uniform?
(a) Alceste's insults about Oronte's sonnet.
(b) Alceste's argument with Celimene.
(c) Alceste's lawsuit.
(d) Alceste's dislike of the royal court.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does someone re-enter the room in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. When Basque enters the room, who does he say is waiting downstairs to see Celimene?
3. Why does Clitandre tease Acaste?
4. In the opening of the play, what reason does Alceste give for his hatred of humanity?
5. How is Alceste being dishonest in Ace Two, Scene Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Oronte reads his sonnet to Philinte and Alceste, what is revealed about his relationship with Celimene?
2. The entire cast, with the exception of Dubois and Basque, are in the room for the last scene of the play. What has Arsinoe brought before them that makes Celimene's suitors leave her?
3. What is the significance of the man at the door in Act Two, Scene Five?
4. Why is Alceste disgusted in Philinte?
5. After hearing the news from Dubois about the note left by a friend, why does Alceste think there must be some mistake?
6. In Act 2, Scene 5, who do you think Éliante is referring to when she says, "When a man truly loves, he loves faults and all"?
7. In Act 1, Scene 2, describe how Alceste reacts when Oronte hugs him and asks for his friendship. How does Alceste's reaction tie in with his view of hypocrisy?
8. In Alceste's anger he asks Eliante to marry him. Why does Eliante not marry Alceste while she has the chance?
9. What is the real reason Alceste seems disgusted by Philinte's run with someone he doesn't know but pretends to?
10. Describe what Alceste means when he says he doesn't know which is worse, false friendship or ridicule in Act 2, Scene 4.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)