|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Alceste upset in Act 5, Scene 1?
(a) Philinte is badgering him.
(b) Dubois was lying.
(c) He lost his court case.
(d) He lost Célimène.
2. Why does Celimene feel she needs help in answering Alceste and Oronte?
(a) Celimene wants Eliante to answer for her.
(b) Celimene is hoping for sympathy.
(c) Celimene wants Eliante's advice.
(d) Celimene wants to leave the room.
3. Who says Célimène must speak her mind now?
(a) Alceste and Philinte.
(b) Alceste and Oronte.
(c) Philinte and Ã‰liante.
(d) Oronte and Ã‰liante.
4. Who does Basque say is at the door at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 3?
5. Alceste makes another big decision at the end of Act 5, Scene 1. What is it?
(a) To leave CÃ©limÃ¨ne and never talk to her again.
(b) To stay in the city.
(c) To leave with Ã‰liante.
(d) To leave public life.
6. Celimene tells her other guests that Arsinoe is ___________ of her.
(b) Making fun.
(c) Sick and tired.
7. Which statement best describes Celimene's inability to choose a suitor?
(a) Celimene has decided not to marry.
(b) Celimene is depressed.
(c) Celimene wants to move to the country.
(d) Celimene is a habitual liar.
8. Who is the only one still interested in Célimène after the letter comes to light in Act 5, Scene 4?
9. During the conversation at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1, what does the audience learn has not happened to Alceste?
(a) He has not fired Dubois.
(b) He has not been arrested.
(c) He has not settled things with Oronte.
(d) He has not married Eliante.
10. In the beginning of Act 4, Scene 4, what news does Dubois give to Alceste?
(a) Alceste must pack and leave town.
(b) Dubois must leave town.
(c) Alceste must marry Eliante.
(d) Celimene does not love Alceste.
11. Alceste decides to move to the country and plans to ask __________ to go with him.
12. How does Celimene feel about the new visitor in Act Three, Scene Three?
13. How does Célimène handle the confrontation in Act 5, Scene 2 ?
(a) Refuses to answer.
(b) Acts sad.
(c) Acts shy.
(d) Acts angry.
14. As Act 3, Scene 4 opens, how does Celimene greet Arsinoe?
(a) Celimene continues to talk badly about Arsinoe.
(b) Celimene acts as if Arsinoe is not there.
(c) Celimene gushes over Arsinoe.
(d) Celimene treats Arsinoe coldly.
15. After Philinte confesses his love for Eliante, who comes in the room?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 5, Scene 2, who does Oronte want to marry?
2. In the last scene of the play, who are the only two characters not in the scene?
3. What happens to Alceste?
4. What does Arsinoe say she does for Celimene when other gossip about her?
5. After turning the conversation to Alceste's love life, what does Arsinoe offers to show Alceste?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)