|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Alceste's intentions during the conversation with Celimene?
(a) To ask her to marry him.
(b) To forbid her from seeing Oronte.
(c) To break things off with her.
(d) To find out the truth.
2. How did Alceste treat Oronte in court?
(a) He angrily said he hated him as a person.
(b) He praised him, but would not say he liked his sonnet.
(c) He said he liked the sonnet.
(d) He blasted him the whole time.
3. Although two people want Célimène to speak her mind in Act 5, Scene 3, what do they say at the end about that?
(a) They would understand her silence too.
(b) They think she should go to court.
(c) They would not understand her silence.
(d) They think her gossiping should stop.
4. What does Alceste tell Celimene they do when he gets back?
(a) Resolve the issue.
(b) Get married.
(c) Help their friends.
(d) Move to the country.
5. In Act 5, Scene 2, who does Oronte want to marry?
(c) He does not want to marry.
6. The person at the door at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 3 is there to see who?
7. In Act 5, Scene 1, what does Alceste tells Philinte he has lost?
(a) Celimene's letter.
(b) His mind.
(c) His courage.
(d) His court case.
8. While waiting for Arsinoe to enter the room, how does Celimene describe her?
(a) Celimene says Arsinoe is her best friend.
(b) As a very nice person.
(c) In the most vicious way possible.
(d) As a good friend.
9. The men who confront Célimène in Act 5, Scene 2 say what to her?
(a) That she must stop gossiping if they will continue to love her.
(b) That if she truly loves one of them, the other will back down.
(c) That she must turn herself into court.
(d) That her attitude toward Ã‰liante needs to change.
10. What does Celimene think is unfair?
(a) Telling a lie.
(c) Letting someone down.
(d) Bearing her heart in public.
11. How does Alceste know that Celimene has been unfaithful to him?
(a) Oronte has written a love letter to Celimene.
(b) Arsinoe tells him.
(c) Celimene tells him.
(d) Celimene has written a love letter to Oronte.
12. While telling Alceste some news, what does Dubois say was delivered to Alceste's house?
(a) A package.
(b) A note.
(d) A telegraph.
13. Who confronts Célimène at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 3?
14. What does Eliante want to wait for before marrying Alceste?
(a) He is no longer angry.
(b) The spring.
(c) She meets with all of her suitors.
(d) Celimene agrees.
15. Who admires Alceste's commitment to truth and finds it heroic?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dubois?
2. What do Acaste and Clitandre do with the letter at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 4?
3. Who are the main characters in Act 3, Scene 5?
4. What did Dubois forget in Act 4, Scene 4?
5. What is the confrontation with Célimène about at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 3?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)