|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who confronts Célimène in Act 5, Scene 2?
(a) Oronte and Acaste.
(b) Oronte and Alceste.
(c) Philinte and Alceste.
(d) Alceste and Ã‰liante.
2. What does Philinte encourage Alceste to do with regard to his court case?
(a) Leave town.
(b) Appeal the verdict.
(c) Quit talking about it.
(d) Forget about it.
3. Why is Alceste upset in Act Five, Scene One?
(a) He loses his court case.
(b) He has nothing to live for.
(c) He is hated in the community.
(d) Celimene does not love him.
4. Why does Alceste not say sorry for not liking Oronte's sonnet?
(a) He is honest.
(b) He is misunderstood.
(c) He hates Oronte.
(d) He is under oath.
5. What does Eliante prefer Celimene do?
(a) Speak her mind.
(c) Marry Alceste.
(d) Choose one man.
6. Which word best describes Alceste's most prominent trait?
7. During their conversation, what does Eliante admit to Philinte about Alceste?
(a) Eliante wishes Alceste would be in love with her.
(b) Eliante does not like Alceste.
(c) Eliante hopes Alceste marries Celimene.
(d) Eliante is Alceste's cousin.
8. In Act 3, Scene 3, who announces Celimene's next visitor?
(b) Celimene answers the door herself.
9. What does Alceste state he does after seeing Celimene's letter?
(a) He confronts Oronte.
(b) He seeks revenge.
(c) He breeds up with her.
(d) He does nothing.
10. At the end Act 4, Scene 4, Alceste leaves. But before leaving, he tells Celimene he will _________.
(a) Marry Eliante.
(b) Be back to resolve the matter between them.
(c) Always love her.
(d) Be back to confront her again.
11. What does Eliante feel about Alceste's honesty?
(a) It is heroic.
(b) It is humbling.
(c) It is annoying.
(d) It is not sincere.
12. Why is Dubois concerned at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 4?
(a) He wants Acaste to leave his house.
(b) He wants Acaste to leave town.
(c) He wants Célimène to leave town.
(d) He wants Alceste to leave town.
13. Which statement best describes Celimene's inability to choose a suitor?
(a) Celimene is a habitual liar.
(b) Celimene has decided not to marry.
(c) Celimene wants to move to the country.
(d) Celimene is depressed.
14. How does Arsinoé treat the opportunity to be alone with Alceste?
(a) She dislikes it.
(b) She is somewhat concerned about it.
(c) She relishes it.
(d) She is angry.
15. What happens to Alceste?
(a) He may be evicted.
(b) He may be arrested.
(c) He may become ill.
(d) He may be killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alceste makes another big decision at the end of Act 5, Scene 1. What is it?
2. Who wants to be alone with Alceste?
3. Against what gossip does Arsinoe defend Celimene?
4. What does Eliante want to wait for before marrying Alceste?
5. How is the relationship at the end of Act 4, Scene 3 for Célimène and Alceste?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)