|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alceste says that his accuser in the court case is what?
(a) A bad man.
(b) A bad poet.
(c) A liar.
(d) A good man.
2. Who is Arsinoe?
(a) Eliante's friend.
(b) Celimene's cousin.
(c) Alceste's sister.
(d) Celimene's friend.
3. In Act 4, Scene 3, Célimène continues to do what?
(a) Tell the truth.
(b) Conceal her true motives.
(c) Tell Basque what to do.
(d) Be mean to Arsinoé.
4. Alceste makes another big decision at the end of Act 5, Scene 1. What is it?
(a) To stay in the city.
(b) To leave with Ã‰liante.
(c) To leave public life.
(d) To leave CÃ©limÃ¨ne and never talk to her again.
5. Now that Alceste has seen proof that Celimene has been unfaithful, what does he want Eliante to do?
(a) Marry him.
(b) Scold Celimene.
(c) Leave him alone.
(d) Burn the letter.
6. Who is the only one still interested in Célimène after the letter comes to light in Act 5, Scene 4?
7. Clitandre and Acaste finally leave the room. What do they do on their way out?
(a) Make jokes.
(c) Say goodbye.
8. Who follows Dubois to leave at the end of Act 4, Scene 4?
9. Which word does Celimene use to characterize Arsinoe to her other guests?
10. What does Philinte encourage Alceste to do with regard to his court case?
(a) Appeal the verdict.
(b) Leave town.
(c) Quit talking about it.
(d) Forget about it.
11. What is the confrontation with Célimène about at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 3?
(a) A letter.
(c) Oronte's sonnet.
(d) Basque's unhappiness with his job.
12. What does Celimene say is OK to do when you are young?
(b) Have many suitors.
13. With whom does Celimene say Arsinoe is in love?
14. How would you sum up Alceste's feelings when he is talking to Célimène in Act 4, Scene 3?
(a) Sad and lonely.
(b) Happy and in love.
(c) Tortured and confused.
15. How does Éliante feel about the possibility of a marriage proposal in Act 4, Scene 2?
(a) She is happy but hesitant.
(b) She is happy and ready to get married.
(c) She refuses the proposal.
(d) She says she will think about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Alceste?
2. Who agrees with Célimène's accusers who think she is a flirt in Act 3, Scene 4?
3. What does Philinte states about the accusers reputation?
4. What does Celimene claim people gossip about Arsinoe?
5. Who does Basque say is at the door at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 3?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)