|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Act 4, Scene 3, what is Alceste unable to do?
(a) Tell Philinte to marry Eliante.
(b) Confront Celimene.
(c) Marry Arsinoe.
(d) Break up with Celimene.
2. Against what gossip does Arsinoe defend Celimene?
(a) Celimene's bad hair cut.
(b) Celimene's dismal fashion sense.
(c) Rumors about Celimene and Alceste.
(d) Celimene's reputation as a flirt.
3. While telling Alceste some news, what does Dubois say was delivered to Alceste's house?
(b) A note.
(c) A telegraph.
(d) A package.
4. As Act 3, Scene 5 ends, where are Arsinoé and Alceste going?
(a) Acaste's house.
(b) Alceste's house.
(c) Arsinoé's house.
(d) Célimène's house.
5. Which of the men believe what he wants to about Celimene, rather than believing the truth?
6. What letter does Alceste tell Eliante he has seen?
(a) A letter from Oronte to Eliante.
(b) A letter from Eliante to Alceste.
(c) A letter from Philinte to Eliante.
(d) A letter from Celimene to Oronte.
7. The person who wants to marry Éliante must first break up with whom?
8. If Célimène were out of the picture with Alceste, who hopes that he would love her?
(b) An unnamed narrator.
9. What does Dubois want Alceste to do?
(a) Pay him.
(b) Leave the house.
(c) Leave town.
(d) Decide on diner.
10. What is Alceste upset in Act 5, Scene 1?
(a) Philinte is badgering him.
(b) He lost his court case.
(c) He lost Célimène.
(d) Dubois was lying.
11. What do Acaste and Clitandre do with the new letter?
(a) Read it aloud.
(b) Read it to themselves.
(c) Burn it.
(d) Throw it out.
12. As Alceste and Oronte are waiting for an answer from Celimene, who enters the room?
(a) Eliante and Philinte.
(b) Clitandre and Acaste.
13. Who wonders aloud why would Alceste would want to take a more official role in court?
14. What does Philinte encourage Alceste to do with regard to his court case?
(a) Appeal the verdict.
(b) Quit talking about it.
(c) Forget about it.
(d) Leave town.
15. How does Clitandre and Acaste feel as Celimene talks about Arsinor?
(a) Thay are mad.
(b) They laugh.
(c) They think she is being unreasonable.
(d) They leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alceste's most prominent trait?
2. What is Alceste determined to do about his court case?
3. Who gives Acaste and Clitandre another letter from Celimene?
4. Who are the only two people that end up happy at the end of the play?
5. After turning the conversation to Alceste's love life, what does Arsinoe offers to show Alceste?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)