|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the main characters in Act 3, Scene 5?
(a) Arsinoe and Alceste.
(b) Alceste and Acaste.
(c) Arsinoe and Oronte.
(d) Arsinoe and Acaste.
2. Instead of excitement, what is Célimène's reaction to Arsinoé in Act 3, Scene 3?
(c) No reaction.
3. What does Arsinoe hope happens if Alceste goes home with her?
(a) She convinces him to love her.
(b) He seeks comfort in her arms.
(c) She makes Celimene jealous.
(d) He asks her to marry him.
4. Who agrees with Célimène's accusers who think she is a flirt in Act 3, Scene 4?
5. What does Celimene think is unfair?
(a) Telling a lie.
(b) Bearing her heart in public.
(d) Letting someone down.
6. What does Celimene suggest her and Arsinoe should do about the gossip?
(b) Make up stories about the people who gossip.
(c) Provide the gossipers wrong.
(d) Report to each other when they hear gossip.
7. Who wonders aloud why would Alceste would want to take a more official role in court?
8. Which word best describes Celimene's demeanor when she tells the truth to Alceste?
9. Why does Arsinoe say she came to see Celimene?
(a) She hears someone gossip about Celimene.
(b) Arsinoe always comes to see Celimene.
(c) Arsinoe wants to have tea with Celimene.
(d) She wants to say hi.
10. Celimene tells her other guests that Arsinoe is ___________ of her.
(c) Sick and tired.
(d) Making fun.
11. What does Arsinoe think about Alceste's relationship with Celimene?
(a) It ends soon.
(b) They are good together.
(c) He deserves better.
(d) She is stringing him along.
12. Which of the following best describes Eliante?
(a) Philinte's second choice.
(b) A gossip and a flirt.
(c) Alceste's third cousin.
(d) Alceste's second choice.
13. Who confronts Célimène at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 3?
14. Who are the primary characters in Act 4, Scene 1?
(a) Oronte and Alceste.
(b) Oronte and Eliante.
(c) Philinte and Eliante.
(d) Philinte and Oronte.
15. As Act 3, Scene 4 opens, how does Celimene greet Arsinoe?
(a) Celimene gushes over Arsinoe.
(b) Celimene treats Arsinoe coldly.
(c) Celimene continues to talk badly about Arsinoe.
(d) Celimene acts as if Arsinoe is not there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that Alceste deserves better than Célimène?
2. Who is Dubois?
3. Who does Célimène say Arsinoé is especially jealous of her for in Act 3, Scene 3?
4. What happens when humans are habitually dishonest?
5. At the end of Act 4, Scene 3, what is Alceste unable to do?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)