|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word does Celimene use to characterize Arsinoe to her other guests?
2. What does Eliante want to wait for before marrying Alceste?
(a) The spring.
(b) Celimene agrees.
(c) She meets with all of her suitors.
(d) He is no longer angry.
3. The person at the door at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 3 is there to see who?
4. What is the emotional states of the new visitor in Act Four, Scene Four?
5. What does Elante admit about Alceste?
(a) He is intelligent.
(b) He is different.
(c) He is must like the others.
(d) He is hansome.
6. How does Clitandre and Acaste feel as Celimene talks about Arsinor?
(a) They leave.
(b) Thay are mad.
(c) They laugh.
(d) They think she is being unreasonable.
7. What is Arsinoe jealous of?
(a) Alceste's love for Celimene.
(b) Celimene's money.
(c) All of Celimene's suitors.
(d) Celimene's beauty.
8. What surprising information does Eliante learn at the end of Act 4, Scene 1?
(a) That Celimene is going to marry Alceste.
(b) That Alceste loves Eliante.
(c) That Philinte is in love with Eliante.
(d) That Oronte is going to marry Celimene.
9. What does Arsinoe say she does for Celimene when other gossip about her?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She joins in.
(c) She defends her.
(d) She does nothing.
10. If Celimene chooses a suitor, what does Alceste say he will do?
(a) Alceste will not interfere.
(b) Alceste will fight the suitor.
(c) Alceste will cry.
(d) Alceste will move to the country.
11. What letter does Alceste tell Eliante he has seen?
(a) A letter from Eliante to Alceste.
(b) A letter from Oronte to Eliante.
(c) A letter from Philinte to Eliante.
(d) A letter from Celimene to Oronte.
12. What does Alceste wish, concerning Oronte's sonnet?
(a) That Oronte does not read it aloud.
(b) That he likes it.
(c) That it is not about Celimene.
(d) That it is longer.
13. Against what gossip does Arsinoe defend Celimene?
(a) Celimene's reputation as a flirt.
(b) Celimene's bad hair cut.
(c) Celimene's dismal fashion sense.
(d) Rumors about Celimene and Alceste.
14. At the end of Act 5, Scene 2, who does Celimene ask for help?
15. As Act 3, Scene 4 opens, how does Celimene greet Arsinoe?
(a) Celimene continues to talk badly about Arsinoe.
(b) Celimene acts as if Arsinoe is not there.
(c) Celimene gushes over Arsinoe.
(d) Celimene treats Arsinoe coldly.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the last scene of the play, who are the only two characters not in the scene?
2. Why do all of Celimene's suitors, accept Alceste, leave her?
3. What did Dubois forget in Act 4, Scene 4?
4. Why is Alceste upset in Act Five, Scene One?
5. Who are the only two people that end up happy at the end of the play?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)