|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who enters the room at the end of Act 5, Scene 2?
2. How does Éliante feel about the possibility of a marriage proposal in Act 4, Scene 2?
(a) She is happy and ready to get married.
(b) She is happy but hesitant.
(c) She says she will think about it.
(d) She refuses the proposal.
3. What are Alceste's intentions during the conversation with Celimene?
(a) To forbid her from seeing Oronte.
(b) To ask her to marry him.
(c) To break things off with her.
(d) To find out the truth.
4. After telling Alceste the news, what item does Dubois realize he has forgotten to bring to Alceste?
(a) His jacket.
(b) His luggage.
(c) The flowers.
(d) The note.
5. Who laughs at the change in behavior by one character when Arsinoé arrives?
(a) Just Clitandre.
(c) Just Acaste.
(d) Both Clitandre and Acaste.
6. Célimène is speaking the truth in Act 4, Scene 3, but is doing so in what way?
(d) Honestly without a hint of sarcasm.
7. What does Celimene claim people gossip about Arsinoe?
(a) She is an adulterer.
(b) She is poor.
(c) She is a prude.
(d) She is a flirt.
8. In the last scene of the play, who are the only two characters not in the scene?
(a) Basque and Alceste.
(b) Basque and Dubois.
(c) Alceste and Celimene.
(d) Philinte and Eliante.
9. How does Clitandre and Acaste feel as Celimene talks about Arsinor?
(a) They think she is being unreasonable.
(b) Thay are mad.
(c) They leave.
(d) They laugh.
10. Who are the primary characters in Act 4, Scene 1?
(a) Oronte and Eliante.
(b) Oronte and Alceste.
(c) Philinte and Eliante.
(d) Philinte and Oronte.
11. Célimène wants help from whom at the end of Act 5, Scene 2?
12. What do Acaste and Clitandre do with the new letter?
(a) Read it aloud.
(b) Read it to themselves.
(c) Burn it.
(d) Throw it out.
13. What does Alceste think of his accuser?
(a) He is under pressure.
(b) He tells the truth.
(c) He is delusional.
(d) He is a liar.
14. Why does Eliante say she admires Alceste's honesty?
(a) Eliante is tired of dating liars.
(b) Eliante thinks Alceste's honesty is heroic.
(c) Eliante wishes she could be more honest.
(d) Eliante does not know many honest people.
15. Eliante would prefer that Celimene do what?
(a) Leave the room.
(b) Stop flirting with Philinte.
(c) Marry Oronte.
(d) Speak her mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dubois concerned at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 4?
2. What word does Célimène call Arsinoé in Act 3, Scene 3?
3. What does Eliante feel about Alceste's honesty?
4. What two characters does Act 4, Scene 3 feature?
5. What does Arsinoe say she does for Celimene when other gossip about her?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)