|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Arsinoe?
(a) Celimene's friend.
(b) Eliante's friend.
(c) Celimene's cousin.
(d) Alceste's sister.
2. Why has Arsinoé come into Act 3, Scene 4?
(a) To tell her she is being rude.
(b) To tell her to stay away from the suitors.
(c) To tell her Alceste is not right for her.
(d) To warn Célimène about gossip she has heard about her.
3. Who quickly changes his or her reaction to Arsinoé when she arrives in Act 3, Scene 4?
4. What does Philinte suggest regarding the letter?
(a) They may be mistaken about the contents.
(b) The letter proves Celimene is no good for him.
(c) The letter proves he innocence.
(d) The letter should not be read.
5. Alceste makes another big decision at the end of Act 5, Scene 1. What is it?
(a) To leave public life.
(b) To stay in the city.
(c) To leave CÃ©limÃ¨ne and never talk to her again.
(d) To leave with Ã‰liante.
6. Which word best describes Alceste's most prominent trait?
7. What was the closest thing to an apology that Alceste said?
(a) He was sorry that Oronte was a horrible writer.
(b) He was sorry that Oronte was a horrible person.
(c) He was sorry that he did not like Oronte's sonnet.
(d) He was sorry that he was being difficult.
8. In Act 5, Scene 2, what Celimene is asked to do?
(a) Confess her infidelity.
(b) Marry Clitandre.
(c) Choose between Oronte and Alceste.
(d) Move away.
9. What friend of Celimene's is at the door during Act Three, Scene Three?
10. Who is not sympathetic to Célimène in the beginning of Act 5, Scene 3?
11. After Philinte confesses his love for Eliante, who comes in the room?
12. Who is the only one still interested in Célimène after the letter comes to light in Act 5, Scene 4?
13. In Act 4, Scene 3, Célimène continues to do what?
(a) Be mean to Arsinoé.
(b) Conceal her true motives.
(c) Tell the truth.
(d) Tell Basque what to do.
14. Dubois is so flustered, he can barely do what in Act 4, Scene 4?
(a) Write a letter.
(b) Tell his story.
(c) Clean the house.
(d) Walk into the house.
15. What does the letter from Celimene to Oronte indicate?
(a) Celimene is trying to make Alceste jealous.
(b) Celimene has beed unfaithful.
(c) Celimene and Oronte are only friends.
(d) They two are planning a party.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 4, Scene 1, what does Eliante learn from Philinte?
2. What are Alceste's intentions during the conversation with Celimene?
3. What does Eliante prefer Celimene do?
4. Why do all of Celimene's suitors, accept Alceste, leave her?
5. Who gives Acaste and Clitandre another letter from Celimene?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)