|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Under what condition does Celimene say she will marry Alceste?
(a) Only if Alceste says please.
(b) Only if they stay in the city.
(c) Only if Alceste lives in a separate house.
(d) As long as Celimene can still date other people.
2. What was the closest thing to an apology that Alceste said?
(a) He was sorry that he did not like Oronte's sonnet.
(b) He was sorry that he was being difficult.
(c) He was sorry that Oronte was a horrible person.
(d) He was sorry that Oronte was a horrible writer.
3. Why does Arsinoe say she came to see Celimene?
(a) She wants to say hi.
(b) Arsinoe wants to have tea with Celimene.
(c) Arsinoe always comes to see Celimene.
(d) She hears someone gossip about Celimene.
4. How does Célimène describe Arsinoé in Act 3, Scene 3?
(b) As nice as possible.
5. What does Alceste decide about the fine he receives in the court case?
(a) He will not pay it.
(b) He will ask the public to help him raise money to pay it.
(c) He will pay half of it.
(d) He will pay it to show everyone how corrupt the system is.
6. How does Celimene speak to Alceste in Act Four, Scene Three regarding her feelings for him?
(a) With indifference.
(d) With compassion.
7. What does Alceste wish, concerning Oronte's sonnet?
(a) That it is not about Celimene.
(b) That he likes it.
(c) That it is longer.
(d) That Oronte does not read it aloud.
8. During their conversation, what does Eliante admit to Philinte about Alceste?
(a) Eliante is Alceste's cousin.
(b) Eliante wishes Alceste would be in love with her.
(c) Eliante does not like Alceste.
(d) Eliante hopes Alceste marries Celimene.
9. At the beginning of Act Five, SceneOne, who are Alceste and Philinte waiting for?
10. What does Arsinoe try to talk about with Alceste?
(a) His love life.
(b) His work.
(c) His travel plans.
(d) Their future marriage.
11. Who follows Dubois to leave at the end of Act 4, Scene 4?
12. After Alceste leaves Eliante's house, about what does Alceste confront Celimene?
(a) Alceste's time in court with Oronte.
(b) Celimene's letter to Oronte.
(c) Alceste's proposal to Eliante.
(d) Celimene's reputation as a flirt.
13. In the last scene of the play, who are the only two characters not in the scene?
(a) Philinte and Eliante.
(b) Basque and Alceste.
(c) Alceste and Celimene.
(d) Basque and Dubois.
14. Who is in love with Éliante?
15. Who is the only one still interested in Celimene, even after this second letter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Against what gossip does Arsinoe defend Celimene?
2. What does Alceste tell Arsinoé at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 5?
3. Who is not sympathetic to Célimène in the beginning of Act 5, Scene 3?
4. Why does Eliante say she admires Alceste's honesty?
5. During the conversation at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1, what does the audience learn has not happened to Alceste?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)