|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 3, who announces Celimene's next visitor?
(c) Celimene answers the door herself.
2. At the end Act 4, Scene 4, Alceste leaves. But before leaving, he tells Celimene he will _________.
(a) Marry Eliante.
(b) Be back to confront her again.
(c) Be back to resolve the matter between them.
(d) Always love her.
3. What does Celimene claim people gossip about Arsinoe?
(a) She is poor.
(b) She is a prude.
(c) She is a flirt.
(d) She is an adulterer.
4. What happens to Alceste?
(a) He may be killed.
(b) He may be arrested.
(c) He may be evicted.
(d) He may become ill.
5. In Act 5, Scene 2, what Celimene is asked to do?
(a) Choose between Oronte and Alceste.
(b) Marry Clitandre.
(c) Move away.
(d) Confess her infidelity.
6. What are Alceste's intentions during the conversation with Celimene?
(a) To break things off with her.
(b) To forbid her from seeing Oronte.
(c) To ask her to marry him.
(d) To find out the truth.
7. Who agrees with Célimène's accusers who think she is a flirt in Act 3, Scene 4?
8. How does Philinte say Alceste's accuser will be harmed?
(a) Célimène will not like him.
(b) His poetry will suffer.
(c) His reputation will suffer because of the lies.
(d) He will not be able to look in the mirror.
9. How does Arsinoé treat the opportunity to be alone with Alceste?
(a) She relishes it.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She is somewhat concerned about it.
(d) She dislikes it.
10. At the beginning of Act Five, Scene Three, in addition to Philinte, who else enters?
11. What does Alceste think of his accuser?
(a) He is under pressure.
(b) He is a liar.
(c) He is delusional.
(d) He tells the truth.
12. What is Arsinoe jealous of?
(a) Celimene's beauty.
(b) Alceste's love for Celimene.
(c) Celimene's money.
(d) All of Celimene's suitors.
13. Who has provided Acaste and Clitandre with a letter at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 4?
14. In Act 4, Scene 1, what does Eliante learn from Philinte?
(a) Where Clitandre and Acaste are now.
(b) Where Celimene is.
(c) Where Alceste and Arsinoe really have gone.
(d) What happens to Alceste at court.
15. What does Arsinoe read to everyone in the room?
(a) The note Dubois forgot to bring.
(b) A letter from Celimene to another suitor.
(c) A letter to Alceste.
(d) An arrest warrant for Oronte.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the last scene of the play, who are the only two characters not in the scene?
2. What does Alceste tell Arsinoé at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 5?
3. Alceste makes another big decision at the end of Act 5, Scene 1. What is it?
4. Who is in love with Éliante?
5. In court, what honest apology does Alceste give to Oronte regarding the sonnet?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)