|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is not sympathetic to Célimène in the beginning of Act 5, Scene 3?
2. At the beginning of Act Five, SceneOne, who are Alceste and Philinte waiting for?
3. What does Arsinoe think about Alceste's relationship with Celimene?
(a) It ends soon.
(b) They are good together.
(c) She is stringing him along.
(d) He deserves better.
4. In the beginning of Act 4, Scene 4, what news does Dubois give to Alceste?
(a) Celimene does not love Alceste.
(b) Alceste must pack and leave town.
(c) Dubois must leave town.
(d) Alceste must marry Eliante.
5. The men who confront Célimène in Act 5, Scene 2 say what to her?
(a) That her attitude toward Ã‰liante needs to change.
(b) That she must turn herself into court.
(c) That if she truly loves one of them, the other will back down.
(d) That she must stop gossiping if they will continue to love her.
6. Which word does Celimene use to characterize Arsinoe to her other guests?
7. What do Oronte and Alceste insist Celimene must do?
(a) Give up gossiping.
(b) Make amends with Arsinoe.
(c) Decide between the two of them.
(d) Stop allowing suitors in.
8. Alceste makes another big decision at the end of Act 5, Scene 1. What is it?
(a) To stay in the city.
(b) To leave CÃ©limÃ¨ne and never talk to her again.
(c) To leave with Ã‰liante.
(d) To leave public life.
9. Whom does Célimène ask to entertain Arsinoé?
10. Who is Dubois?
(a) One of Celimene's suitors.
(b) Alceste's servant.
(c) Celimene's butler.
(d) A friend of Alceste's.
11. Who wonders aloud why would Alceste would want to take a more official role in court?
12. Which statement best describes Celimene's inability to choose a suitor?
(a) Celimene wants to move to the country.
(b) Celimene has decided not to marry.
(c) Celimene is depressed.
(d) Celimene is a habitual liar.
13. What does Alceste think of his accuser?
(a) He tells the truth.
(b) He is delusional.
(c) He is under pressure.
(d) He is a liar.
14. At the beginning of Act Five, Scene Three, in addition to Philinte, who else enters?
15. In Act 5, Scene 1, what does Alceste tells Philinte he has lost?
(a) His mind.
(b) His courage.
(c) His court case.
(d) Celimene's letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Alceste state for why he does not want to wait to marry Eliante?
2. What two characters does Act 4, Scene 3 feature?
3. What does Celimene think is unfair?
4. Célimène is speaking the truth in Act 4, Scene 3, but is doing so in what way?
5. Who agrees with Célimène's accusers who think she is a flirt in Act 3, Scene 4?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)