|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the confrontation with Célimène about in the beginning of Act 5, Scene 2?
(a) She must stop gossiping.
(b) She must choose between two suitors.
(c) She must be more compassionate.
(d) She must go to court.
2. Which of the following best describes Eliante?
(a) Alceste's third cousin.
(b) Alceste's second choice.
(c) A gossip and a flirt.
(d) Philinte's second choice.
3. What does Philinte feel about Oronte's day in court?
(a) He loses.
(b) It is difficult.
(c) It is uneventful.
(d) It is hilarious.
4. In Act 3, Scene 3, who announces Celimene's next visitor?
(a) Celimene answers the door herself.
5. What does Celimene suggest her and Arsinoe should do about the gossip?
(b) Make up stories about the people who gossip.
(c) Provide the gossipers wrong.
(d) Report to each other when they hear gossip.
6. What does Celimene call Arsinoe that offends her?
(a) An old prude.
(c) A gossip.
7. When it opens, how is Act 5, Scene 1, similar to the play's original opening scene?
(a) Alceste and Philinte are arguing.
(b) Eliante is with Celimene.
(c) Alceste and Philinte are waiting for Celimene.
(d) Celimene is out shopping.
8. How did Alceste treat Oronte in court?
(a) He blasted him the whole time.
(b) He angrily said he hated him as a person.
(c) He praised him, but would not say he liked his sonnet.
(d) He said he liked the sonnet.
9. After turning the conversation to Alceste's love life, what does Arsinoe offers to show Alceste?
(a) Evidence of Arsinoe's love for Alceste.
(b) A love letter.
(c) Evidence that Celimene is not the wife for him.
(d) Photographs of Celimene.
10. Who arrives at Celimene's home that Celimene asks to entertain Arsinoe?
11. Why is Dubois concerned at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 4?
(a) He wants Acaste to leave his house.
(b) He wants Célimène to leave town.
(c) He wants Acaste to leave town.
(d) He wants Alceste to leave town.
12. How does Alceste respond to Arsinoe's suggestion that he play a more official role at court?
(a) Alceste thanks Arsinoe for the compliment.
(b) Alceste wonders out loud why he would want to be a court official.
(c) Alceste wonders where Celimene has gone.
(d) Alceste leaves the room.
13. In the beginning of Act 5, Scene 4, who enters the room?
(a) Clitandre and Oronte.
(b) Clitandre, Oronte, and Eliante.
(c) Clitandre, Oronte, and Arsinoe.
14. For what reason does Alceste need to leave town?
(a) He has been called back to court.
(b) Oronte is still upset with him.
(c) He is going to be arrested.
(d) Celimene does not love him.
15. Which statement best describes Celimene's inability to choose a suitor?
(a) Celimene has decided not to marry.
(b) Celimene is depressed.
(c) Celimene wants to move to the country.
(d) Celimene is a habitual liar.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 5, Scene 2, who does Oronte want to marry?
2. How does Alceste feel about the confrontation with Celimene?
3. What does Philinte encourage Alceste to do with regard to his court case?
4. At the end of Act 5, Scene 2, who does Celimene ask for help?
5. Célimène wants help from whom at the end of Act 5, Scene 2?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)