|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the only two people that end up happy at the end of the play?
(a) Ã‰liante and CÃ©limÃ¨ne.
(b) Alceste and Acaste.
(c) Ã‰liante and Philinte.
(d) Alceste and Philinte.
2. Alceste makes another big decision at the end of Act 5, Scene 1. What is it?
(a) To leave public life.
(b) To leave CÃ©limÃ¨ne and never talk to her again.
(c) To leave with Ã‰liante.
(d) To stay in the city.
3. What was the closest thing to an apology that Alceste said?
(a) He was sorry that he was being difficult.
(b) He was sorry that he did not like Oronte's sonnet.
(c) He was sorry that Oronte was a horrible writer.
(d) He was sorry that Oronte was a horrible person.
4. At the end of Act 3, Scene 5, where do Alceste and Arsinoe go?
(a) To find Philinte.
(b) To Arsinoe's house.
(d) To find Celimene.
5. Who says Célimène must speak her mind now?
(a) Alceste and Oronte.
(b) Philinte and Ã‰liante.
(c) Alceste and Philinte.
(d) Oronte and Ã‰liante.
6. Who wants to be alone with Alceste?
7. Who laughs at the change in behavior by one character when Arsinoé arrives?
(a) Both Clitandre and Acaste.
(b) Just Acaste.
(d) Just Clitandre.
8. Who wonders aloud why would Alceste would want to take a more official role in court?
9. What is the confrontation with Célimène about in the beginning of Act 5, Scene 2?
(a) She must be more compassionate.
(b) She must go to court.
(c) She must stop gossiping.
(d) She must choose between two suitors.
10. Who wrote the letter given to Acaste and Clitandre at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 4?
11. Célimène wants help from whom at the end of Act 5, Scene 2?
12. For revenge, who wants to marry Éliante?
13. What do the men do when Celimene proclaims her love to one of them?
(a) The one not choses marries her cousin.
(b) They fight for her love.
(c) The other does not interfere.
(d) The one not chosen leaves forever.
14. Who discovers a letter from Célimène to Oronte?
15. How does Célimène describe Arsinoé in Act 3, Scene 3?
(b) As nice as possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alceste upset in Act 5, Scene 1?
2. What is the confrontation with Célimène about at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 3?
3. What letter does Alceste tell Eliante he has seen?
4. Who comes rushing in to speak with Éliante in the beginning of Act 4, Scene 2?
5. Who does Célimène say Arsinoé is especially jealous of her for in Act 3, Scene 3?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)