|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As it appears, how does Célimène string along her suitors?
(a) Her good looks.
(b) Telling each of them he is the only one she loves.
(c) By baking them treats.
2. What is Alceste's opinion of Oronte's work?
(a) He likes it.
(b) He has no opinion.
(c) He has a negative opinion.
(d) He is jealous of it.
3. Who is Basque?
(a) Célimène's cousin.
(b) Célimène's father.
(c) Célimène's servant.
(d) Célimène's brother.
4. Who defends Célimène in Act 2, Scene 4?
(d) The marquis.
5. How does Oronte show his friendship to the man on the street in Act One, Scene Two?
(a) With a nod.
(b) With a hug.
(c) With a handshake.
(d) With a kiss.
6. What does Alceste decide to do when this new man is invited in, in Act Two Scene Three?
(a) Make Celimene jealous.
(b) Fight the man.
(d) Become friends with the man.
7. Where does Act One, Scene One open?
(a) In Paris.
(b) In Germany.
(c) In America.
(d) In England.
8. When Oronte reads his sonnet to Alceste and Philinte, for what does he ask?
(a) A pen so he can make corrections to the poem.
(b) He asks Alceste and Philinte to keep the poem a secret.
(c) An honest opinion of his poem.
(d) He wants Alceste and Philinte to tell him how good it is.
9. Who could not remember the man's name that hugged him?
10. Alceste tells Basque to do what with the person who awaits him?
(a) Send him up.
(b) Send him away.
(c) Chastise him for coming so late.
(d) Lie to him.
11. Why does Celimene accept the new visitor?
(a) She likes the attention.
(b) She does not want to offend.
(c) She like the tension.
(d) She is in love with the new visitor.
12. What does Celimene avow to Alceste?
(a) That Eliante loves Alceste.
(b) That Celimene loves Alceste.
(c) That she loves Oronte.
(d) That she loves Clitandre.
13. Before Alceste receives his visitor, what is he waiting for Celimene to do?
(a) Dismiss the other suitors.
(b) Marry him.
(c) Marry Clitandre.
(d) Tell him to go away.
14. Why does Celimene agree to see Acaste?
(a) Celimene thinks Acaste will not like her if she does not see him.
(b) Celimene likes Acaste better than Alceste.
(c) Celimene believes it is the only way to preserve her reputation.
(d) Celimene is tired of her conversation with Alceste.
15. After Acaste and Clitandre arrive, why do they start naming members of the royal court?
(a) They are trying to make small talk.
(b) They want to hear Celimene gossip about the royal court members.
(c) They are trying to impress Alceste.
(d) They plan to report what is said back to the royal court.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Oronte is reading his sonnet, what does Alceste whisper to Philinte?
2. How does Celimene react when Alceste questions her love for him?
3. How does Celimene feel when someone is at the door?
4. What causes Alceste to become so upset during Act One, Scene Three?
5. How does Philinte feel about Oronte's sonnet?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)