|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the man in the street hug?
2. How does Oronte chastise his subject in the sonnet?
(a) He discusses his love lost.
(b) He refuses to read the sonnet.
(c) His subject belittles him.
(d) His subject gives him false hope.
3. What is Célimène's reaction when she thinks someone is arriving in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) She gets nervous.
(b) She gets excited.
(c) She gets sad.
(d) She begins to throw a fit.
4. After Oronte leaves in Act 1, scene 3, what does Philinte ask Alceste?
(a) Why he hates Oronte.
(b) Why he was leaving.
(c) Why he couldn't give Oronte a little bit of flattery.
(d) Why he pretended to like the sonnet.
5. How do Célimène's feelings change about Alceste's reaction to the visitor?
(a) She tells Basque to escort him out.
(b) She then becomes angry and insists that he go.
(c) She then becomes angry but asks him to stay.
(d) She throws him out without a word.
6. Why does Alceste refuse to get legal help with the lawsuit in which he is involved?
(a) Alceste cannot afford an attorney.
(b) Alceste feels telling the truth should be enough.
(c) Alceste thinks the lawsuit is a waste of time.
(d) Alceste knows he is in the wrong.
7. Why does Celimene accept the new visitor?
(a) She likes the attention.
(b) She does not want to offend.
(c) She like the tension.
(d) She is in love with the new visitor.
8. What does Célimène do about the arrival of the latest visitor in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) She says the only person that can visit is Acaste.
(b) She tells him to go away.
(c) She says the only person that can visit is Alceste.
(d) She lets him in.
9. Who visits Célimène in Act 2, Scene 2?
10. According to Philinte, when does Alceste complain?
(a) When others praise or criticize him.
(b) When others lie.
(c) When others gossip.
(d) All the time.
11. How does Alceste respond to Oronte's request for friendship?
(a) Alceste tells him friendship needs time to grow.
(b) Alceste decides to be Oronte's best friend.
(c) Alceste accepts his friendship.
(d) Alceste tells Oronte he does not want to be his friend.
12. What surprises Alceste during his conversation with Basque in Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) Basque startles him.
(b) Alceste was not expecting Celimene.
(c) A man's asking for him at the door.
(d) Basque is rude.
13. During the argument, of whom does Celimene say Alceste is jealous?
(a) The people in the court.
(b) The whole world.
14. Philinte is having a difficult time in Act 1, Scene 3. Why?
(a) Because Alceste tells Philinte not to follow him.
(b) Because Oronte tells Philinte not to follow him.
(c) Because Ã‰liante is missing.
(d) Because CÃ©limÃ¨ne is missing.
15. What does Alceste want Celimene to tell Basque?
(a) That she is not home.
(b) That she will see Acaste later.
(c) That she and Alceste are in the middle of something more important.
(d) That she is not receiving any other visitors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two women in Act One, Scene One waiting for?
2. How does Alceste react to the news of yet another visitor?
3. Who praises Oronte's work throughout his reading?
4. During the argument with Philinte, what is revealed about Alceste?
5. Who talks about hating hypocrisy in the beginning of the play?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)