|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Philinte think the office is present?
(a) Because one of the visitors is a thief.
(b) He is there to see her.
(c) It is another suitor of Celimene's.
(d) Because Alceste insultes Oronte's sonnet.
2. What does Alceste think about Philinte response to the sonnet?
(a) He understands Philinte.
(b) He scolds Philinte.
(c) He is confused by the response.
(d) He praises Philinte.
3. Who asks Alceste to be more moderate in his judgment?
4. Célimène's reputation, whether she knows it or not, is really what?
(a) A shy girl.
(b) A hypocrite.
(c) Quick temper.
(d) A good reputation.
5. Before Alceste leaves, what request does he make?
(a) That he be allowed to leave quickly.
(b) That Philinite not talk about him after he leaves.
(c) That Philinte not follow him.
(d) That Philinte call him a cab.
6. Who is the man in uniform that arrives in Act 2, Scene 6?
(d) Marshal's Sergeant-at-Arms.
7. During the conversation in Act 2, Scene 4, why do Acaste and Clitandre ridicule Alceste?
(a) Alceste complains that his time with Celimene has been interrupted.
(b) Alceste makes fun of Acaste and Clitandre.
(c) Alceste complains that Celimene is being encouraged to gossip.
(d) Alceste complains that there are too many people present.
8. What is the most honest thing Celemine says to Alceste in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) That Oronte is her true love.
(b) That Alceste is not indespensible to her.
(c) That Celemine likes to flirt.
(d) That Celemine is leading Alceste on.
9. How many lines are in Act 3, Scene 2?
10. Why does Basque answer the door at Celimene's house?
(a) He is her butler.
(b) He is leaving the house.
(c) Celimene asks him to do so.
(d) He likes to open doors.
11. What does the officer's uniform tell the characters?
(a) He is a police man.
(b) He is the Marshall's Sergeant-at-Arms.
(c) He is Colonel.
(d) He is a Lieutenant.
12. How does Celimene react when Alceste questions her love for him?
13. When Alceste leaves Celimene's house, who goes with him?
14. What does Oronte do when he meets Alceste?
(a) Begins to cry.
(b) Tells him off.
(c) Accuses him of taking his girlfriend.
(d) Asks for his friendship and a hug.
15. Why does Alceste leave in Act One, Scene Three?
(a) He is not welcome.
(b) He is too upset.
(c) He must go to work.
(d) He does not like the company.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Acaste's defense, Clitandre himself gets defensive and uses which word to describe Acaste?
2. Philinte is having a difficult time in Act 1, Scene 3. Why?
3. In Act Two, Scene Five, who is at the door for Alceste?
4. What is Alceste's response to Basque's news at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 5?
5. What happens when Alceste complains about the other encouraging Celimene's gossip?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)