|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alceste feel about the friendship?
(a) It never works.
(b) It is good.
(c) It needs time to grow.
(d) They are quickly best friends.
2. What is Basque's job?
(a) A court jester.
(b) A governor.
(c) To announce guests.
(d) A court official.
3. In Act 2, Scene 3, who also comes to visit Célimène?
4. How does Oronte react to Alceste's opinion of his work?
(a) He is overjoyed.
(b) He becomes angry, defensive, and threatening.
(c) He leaves without saying a word.
(d) He begins to cry.
5. How does Oronte react to Alceste's honest opinion of his sonnet?
(a) Oronte decides to rewrite the sonnet.
(b) Oronte becomes angry.
(c) Oronte cries.
(d) Oronte crumbles up the sonnet and throws it away.
6. What does Alceste discover about Oronte in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He has written a sonnet about Célimène.
(b) He does not want Alceste to be honest as he said.
(c) He is not a good writer.
(d) Célimène picked out his clothes.
7. While Celimene and her suitors are talking, who enters wearing a uniform?
(a) A court magistrate.
(b) The Marshal's Sergeant-at-Arms.
(c) A police officer.
(d) The Queen's guard.
8. What does Celimene embody, according to Alceste?
(c) True beauty.
(d) Everything he hates in people.
9. What word best describes the duration of Act 2, Scene 2?
10. Alceste's threat to leave if Celimene does not do what he wants can best be described as what?
(c) A complaint.
(d) Asking for attention.
11. Who are two people who are not gossiping in Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) Ã‰liante and Philinte.
(b) CÃ©limÃ¨ne and Acaste.
(c) CÃ©limÃ¨ne and Oronte.
(d) CÃ©limÃ¨ne and Clitandre.
12. Why does Philante advise Alceste to get help with the lawsuit in which he is involved?
(a) His accuser works for the police.
(b) His accuser is very popular and influential.
(c) Philante does not want Alceste to go to jail.
(d) He is definitely in the wrong and needs a good defense.
13. What news does Basque have in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) It is time for everyone to leave.
(b) It is time for Célimène's medicine.
(c) There is someone at the door.
(d) There is a new group arriving.
14. Who is Alceste the most jealous of in terms of Célimène?
15. Based on Celimene's behavior regarding visitors in Act 2, Scene 3, what seems to be most important to Celimene?
(a) Celimene believes being hypocritical is acceptable.
(b) Celimene places importance on honesty.
(c) Celimene believes it is important to let people know how she feels.
(d) Celimene places importance on social matters.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Act 3, Scene 1 opens, who does Clitandre ask if they are content?
2. Who re-enters the room in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. Who is being summoned in Act 2, Scene 6?
4. On their way to Celimen's home, Philinte tells Alceste that one should not blame human beings for their ______?
5. What does Oronte want that Alceste does not give?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)