|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Célimène call arrogant in Act 2, Scene 5?
2. After Philinte points out who Alceste does not like, what flaw in Alceste's personality does Philinte observe?
(a) That Alceste complains even if someone praises him.
(b) That Alceste is too happy.
(c) That Alceste is too critical of Celimene.
(d) That Alceste is depressing.
3. During the conversation in Act 2, Scene 4, why do Acaste and Clitandre ridicule Alceste?
(a) Alceste complains that Celimene is being encouraged to gossip.
(b) Alceste makes fun of Acaste and Clitandre.
(c) Alceste complains that his time with Celimene has been interrupted.
(d) Alceste complains that there are too many people present.
4. Who does Alceste's reason say is a better match for him?
(a) No one.
5. To Alceste, what is worse, people's false friendship or their ridicule?
(a) They are equally bad.
(b) False friendship.
(c) He doesn't know.
6. What does the officer's uniform tell the characters?
(a) He is Colonel.
(b) He is the Marshall's Sergeant-at-Arms.
(c) He is a police man.
(d) He is a Lieutenant.
7. During the conversation in Act 2, Scene 4, Philinte points out that Alceste does not like whom?
(b) The judges in the court room.
(c) The members of the royal court.
(d) Clitandre and Oronte.
8. How many lines are in Act 3, Scene 2?
9. Why does someone re-enter the room in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) Philinte wants to talk to Alceste.
(b) Célimène has heard someone at the door.
(c) Clitandre wants to talk to Acaste.
(d) Basque has heard someone at the door.
10. Why does Philante advise Alceste to get help with the lawsuit in which he is involved?
(a) His accuser is very popular and influential.
(b) His accuser works for the police.
(c) Philante does not want Alceste to go to jail.
(d) He is definitely in the wrong and needs a good defense.
11. Who is Oronte?
(a) Philinte's brother.
(b) Celimene's cousin.
(c) A friend of Alceste.
(d) Another of Celimene's suitors.
12. Who might be the misanthropes of the play?
(b) Alceste and CÃ©limÃ¨ne.
(c) Philinte and Ã‰liante.
13. What does Philinte do once Alceste leaves?
(d) Does not follow.
14. How is Alceste being dishonest in Ace Two, Scene Three?
(a) He denies that Celimene is interested in other men.
(b) He states that he is not jealous of the other men.
(c) He truly has no feelings for Celimene.
(d) He is bluffing when he says he leaves.
15. What does Alceste want Celimene to tell Basque?
(a) That she and Alceste are in the middle of something more important.
(b) That she will see Acaste later.
(c) That she is not home.
(d) That she is not receiving any other visitors.
Short Answer Questions
1. This list that Acaste answers with in Act 3, Scene 1, is what?
2. What is Celimene accused of in Act Two, Scene One?
3. What does Oronte's sonnet say about Celimene's kindness towards him?
4. Who is Alceste jealous of?
5. Which word best describes Celimene's real reputation?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)