|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Célimène call arrogant in Act 2, Scene 5?
2. In the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, we are introduced to yet another suitor of Célimène's. Who?
3. Who tries to smooth things over in Act Two, Scene Six?
4. Why does Alceste say he is staying?
(a) He has no patience left.
(b) He can't stand to be away from Célimène.
(c) He doesn't want to hear her answer.
(d) He has no place to go.
5. In Act 2, Scene 3, which sentence best describes Celimene's attitude towards Alceste?
(a) Alceste is not Celimene's friend.
(b) Celimene does not care what Alceste thinks.
(c) Celimene cares deeply for Alceste.
(d) Alceste is not important to Celimene.
6. Who is Clitandre?
(a) A man who is influential in court.
(b) A friend of Philinte.
(c) A man who helped Oronte write his sonnet.
(d) A police officer.
7. Why is Alceste upset in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Because Acaste came to fight.
(b) Because Célimène allows Acaste to enter.
(c) Because Célimène has a servant.
(d) Because Célimène kisses Basque.
8. Alceste continues to stand by his thoughts in Act 2, Scene 6 about what?
(a) That Célimène is beautiful.
(b) That Philinte has hard feelings toward him.
(c) That the sonnet was horrible.
(d) That the other suitors are better than he is.
9. Who are the two women in Act One, Scene One waiting for?
(a) Celimene and her cousin.
(b) Celimene and Philinte.
(c) Oronte and Celimene.
(d) Alceste and Philinte.
10. While Celimene and her suitors are talking, who enters wearing a uniform?
(a) A court magistrate.
(b) The Marshal's Sergeant-at-Arms.
(c) A police officer.
(d) The Queen's guard.
11. Why does Alceste refuse to get legal help with the lawsuit in which he is involved?
(a) Alceste knows he is in the wrong.
(b) Alceste feels telling the truth should be enough.
(c) Alceste thinks the lawsuit is a waste of time.
(d) Alceste cannot afford an attorney.
12. How does Oronte react to Alceste's honest opinion of his sonnet?
(a) Oronte crumbles up the sonnet and throws it away.
(b) Oronte becomes angry.
(c) Oronte cries.
(d) Oronte decides to rewrite the sonnet.
13. What do Acaste and Clitandre agree to do if Celimene shows a preference to one of them?
(a) The other will try harder.
(b) They will no longer be friends.
(c) The other will back off.
(d) They will fight.
14. Why did Oronte's work upset Alceste?
(a) The writer's situation in love parallels his own.
(b) Because Philinte told him to be upset.
(c) Because Oronte is in love with Alceste's sister.
(d) Because Oronte is in love with the same person as Philinte.
15. What is the significance of a new character in Act One, Scene Two?
(a) He is a new suitor of Celimenes.
(b) He is a famous artist.
(c) He is an officer.
(d) He is the true husband of Celimenes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alceste is doing what when he threatens to leave in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. How does Alceste distinguish himself among his company?
3. What does Philinte do once Alceste leaves?
4. When Alceste goes to court, he insists that he won't what?
5. Why does Alceste get upset at Acaste and Clitandre in Act 2, Scene 4?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)