|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the significance of a new character in Act One, Scene Two?
(a) He is a new suitor of Celimenes.
(b) He is a famous artist.
(c) He is the true husband of Celimenes.
(d) He is an officer.
2. Where does Alceste's visitor tell Alceste he is wanted?
(a) At the jail.
(b) At the police station.
(c) At the royal court.
(d) At home.
3. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, we discover Alceste wishes he could do what?
(a) Stop loving Célimène.
(b) Run away from his court case.
(c) Start being dishonest.
(d) Stop being honest.
4. How does Acaste defend himself against Clitandre's teasing?
(a) He brags about how wonderful he is.
(b) He brags about his job.
(c) He suggests Celimene like Philinte.
(d) He suggests Celimene does not care for Clitandre.
5. What word best describes Moliere's possible reason for having Alceste's visitor dressed as he is?
6. How is Célimène described physically?
(a) Very attractive.
(b) Average looking.
(c) Very ugly.
(d) Somewhat pretty.
7. What does Celimene like when there are many suitors visiting?
(a) The presents.
(b) The fighting.
(c) The attention.
(d) The good company.
8. How does Oronte show his friendship to the man on the street in Act One, Scene Two?
(a) With a hug.
(b) With a handshake.
(c) With a kiss.
(d) With a nod.
9. After Philinte points out who Alceste does not like, what flaw in Alceste's personality does Philinte observe?
(a) That Alceste is too happy.
(b) That Alceste is depressing.
(c) That Alceste complains even if someone praises him.
(d) That Alceste is too critical of Celimene.
10. Whose help does Celimene want for her court case?
11. What does Alceste state the other suitors does not do if they truly love Celimene?
(a) Pressure her.
(b) Smother her.
(c) Encourage her faults.
(d) Aruge between themselves.
12. What does Célimène tell Alceste to hurt him in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) That he is not indispensable.
(b) That he is indispensable.
(c) That Acaste is better looking than him.
(d) That she is in love with Basque.
13. Why does Alceste plan to confront Celimene about her behavior?
(a) Her behavior embarrasses him.
(b) She talks too much.
(c) She shops too much.
(d) She is a flirt, a gossip, and a flatterer.
14. What medical problem is Alceste suspected on having?
15. Célimène accuses Alceste of using his principles as a way to what?
(a) Be unsocial.
(b) Distinguish himself above the other suitors.
(c) Get along with her.
(d) Get along with the group.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Oronte leaves in Act 1, scene 3, what does Philinte ask Alceste?
2. What happens after Oronte leaves the Act One, Scene Three?
3. What does Clitandre ask of Acaste?
4. How does Act 1, Scene 3 close?
5. At first, how does Célimène react to Alceste's reaction to the visitor in Act 2, Scene 3?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)