|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clitandre ask of Acaste?
(a) If he is content.
(b) If he is in love.
(c) If he has ever been to the Royal Court.
(d) If they can be friends.
2. How does Oronte chastise his subject in the sonnet?
(a) He discusses his love lost.
(b) He refuses to read the sonnet.
(c) His subject gives him false hope.
(d) His subject belittles him.
3. What happens when Alceste complains about the other encouraging Celimene's gossip?
(a) The others agree.
(b) His is ridiculed.
(c) He is asked to leave.
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, Philinte is trying to find out what?
(a) Why Oronte is crying.
(b) Why Alceste is crying.
(c) Why Alceste likes Célimène.
(d) Why Alceste is so upset.
5. What is one way to describe Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Average length.
(b) Very brief.
(c) Very long.
(d) Longer than the rest.
6. How does Alceste respond to Oronte's request for friendship?
(a) Alceste tells Oronte he does not want to be his friend.
(b) Alceste accepts his friendship.
(c) Alceste decides to be Oronte's best friend.
(d) Alceste tells him friendship needs time to grow.
7. Who does Eliante secretly admire?
8. When Basque enters the room, who does he say is waiting downstairs to see Celimene?
9. How does Celimene feel when someone is at the door?
10. When Oronte reads his sonnet to Alceste and Philinte, for what does he ask?
(a) A pen so he can make corrections to the poem.
(b) An honest opinion of his poem.
(c) He wants Alceste and Philinte to tell him how good it is.
(d) He asks Alceste and Philinte to keep the poem a secret.
11. While Oronte is reading his sonnet, what does Alceste whisper to Philinte?
(a) Alceste criticizes Philinte's praising of the sonnet.
(b) Alceste asks if the sonnet is almost over.
(c) Alceste criticizes what Oronte is wearing.
(d) Alceste tells Philinte that they should applaud when the poem is over.
12. What does Alceste wish he can do about Celimene?
(a) Forget about her.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Stop her from seeing other men.
(d) Stop loving her.
13. In Act 2, Scene 3, who announces the arrival of another guest downstairs for Célimène?
14. Who indicates that Oronte's sonnet is horrible and he does not back down from that criticism?
15. What do Acaste and Clitandre agree to do if Celimene shows a preference to one of them?
(a) The other will back off.
(b) They will no longer be friends.
(c) The other will try harder.
(d) They will fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who praises Oronte's work throughout his reading?
2. How do Célimène's feelings change about Alceste's reaction to the visitor?
3. What is Acaste's response to Clitandre's questioning?
4. After Oronte leaves, why do Philinte and Alceste argue?
5. What is the most honest thing Celemine says to Alceste in Act 2, Scene 3?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)