|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As it appears, how does Célimène string along her suitors?
(b) Her good looks.
(c) By baking them treats.
(d) Telling each of them he is the only one she loves.
2. Célimène accuses Alceste of using his principles as a way to what?
(a) Get along with her.
(b) Be unsocial.
(c) Distinguish himself above the other suitors.
(d) Get along with the group.
3. When Oronte reacts to Alceste's opinion about his sonnet, who intervenes?
(a) Celimene's cousin.
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, of what is Celimene accused?
(a) Celimene is accused of cheating on Philinte.
(b) Celimene is accused of being lazy.
(c) Celimene is accused of encouraging men to fall in love with her.
(d) Celimene is accused of being mean to Oronte.
5. The other suitors have a laugh at whose expense?
6. What does Alceste say about people's ridicule and false friendship?
(a) False friendship is worse.
(b) People's ridicule is worse.
(c) He does not know which is worse.
(d) Neither is worse than fails love.
7. What does Oronte do when he meets Alceste?
(a) Begins to cry.
(b) Tells him off.
(c) Asks for his friendship and a hug.
(d) Accuses him of taking his girlfriend.
8. What does Oronte want that Alceste does not give?
9. What does the officer's uniform tell the characters?
(a) He is a Lieutenant.
(b) He is a police man.
(c) He is Colonel.
(d) He is the Marshall's Sergeant-at-Arms.
10. In Act 1, Scene 3, Philinte is trying to find out what?
(a) Why Alceste is crying.
(b) Why Alceste is so upset.
(c) Why Alceste likes Célimène.
(d) Why Oronte is crying.
11. What kind of person does Alceste portray himself as?
12. While Celimene and her suitors are talking, who enters wearing a uniform?
(a) A police officer.
(b) The Marshal's Sergeant-at-Arms.
(c) A court magistrate.
(d) The Queen's guard.
13. As Act 3, Scene 1 opens, who does Clitandre ask if they are content?
14. What is suggested by the appearance of Alceste's visitor?
(a) He works for Celimene.
(b) He just got off work.
(c) He is an official.
(d) He is a chauffer.
15. When Alceste leaves Celimene's house, who goes with him?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who scolds the person for not remembering the man's name after they hugged?
2. Why does Célimène say she is nice to Clitandre?
3. In Act 2, Scene 4, two marquis enter the room. Who are they?
4. After Acaste's defense, Clitandre himself gets defensive and uses which word to describe Acaste?
5. Who are the two women in Act One, Scene One waiting for?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)