|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alceste react to the news of yet another visitor?
(a) Alceste invites himself to dinner.
(b) Alceste decides he does not love Celimene.
(c) Alceste says he is leaving.
(d) Alceste is glad to have another visitor.
2. Who are the two women in Act One, Scene One waiting for?
(a) Alceste and Philinte.
(b) Oronte and Celimene.
(c) Celimene and Philinte.
(d) Celimene and her cousin.
3. What does Philinte do once Alceste leaves?
(d) Does not follow.
4. Who agrees to back off if Célimène shows an interest in Acaste?
5. Why does Oronte chastise Célimène in this Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) For not reading his sonnet.
(b) For not telling him she was seeing Alceste.
(c) For not letting him read his story.
(d) For giving him hope of gaining her love.
6. What does Clitandre ask Acaste?
(a) If he is content.
(b) If he is angry.
(c) If he is happy.
(d) If he is sad.
7. What word best describes the difference between what Celimene believes her reputation to be, and what the other characters believe her reputation is?
8. Who is Alceste the most jealous of in terms of Célimène?
9. In Act 2, Scene 5, what does Alceste receive?
(a) A gift.
(b) A visitor.
(c) A surprise.
10. Where does Act One, Scene One open?
(a) In America.
(b) In England.
(c) In Paris.
(d) In Germany.
11. What does Oronte want that Alceste does not give?
12. Why would Celimene's being overly nice to her two visitors offend Alceste?
(a) Alceste thinks people are taking advantage of Celimene.
(b) Alceste believes Celimene is being hypocritical.
(c) Alceste wants Celimene to be more social.
(d) Alceste does not care about being nice to anyone.
13. What does Celimene think she is doing by accepting many suitors?
(a) Finding the right man.
(b) Making everyone happy.
(c) Perserving her reputation.
(d) Making Alceste jealous.
14. Célimène will not do what Alceste says in Act 2, Scene 2 because she says she is afraid of what?
(a) Offending Acaste.
(b) Offending Basque.
(c) Offending Ã‰liante.
(d) Offending Alceste.
15. Why did Oronte's work upset Alceste?
(a) The writer's situation in love parallels his own.
(b) Because Oronte is in love with Alceste's sister.
(c) Because Philinte told him to be upset.
(d) Because Oronte is in love with the same person as Philinte.
Short Answer Questions
1. When hugged by a man on the street, why does Philinte say he responded so politely?
2. Based on Celimene's behavior regarding visitors in Act 2, Scene 3, what seems to be most important to Celimene?
3. What does Philinte do in Act 1, Scene 3, even though Alceste tells him not to?
4. Who scolds the person for not remembering the man's name after they hugged?
5. Oronte asks Alceste to critique what?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)