|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who re-enters the room in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. Who announces a visitor at the beginning of Ace Two, Scene Two?
3. How is Célimène described physically?
(a) Somewhat pretty.
(b) Very ugly.
(c) Very attractive.
(d) Average looking.
4. To Alceste, what is worse, people's false friendship or their ridicule?
(a) False friendship.
(b) They are equally bad.
(d) He doesn't know.
5. In Act 1, Philinte meets a man on the street who hugs him and acts like his best friend. What is embarrassing about this situation?
(a) Men should not hug each other.
(b) Philinte cannot remember the man's name.
(c) Philinte does not like the man.
(d) Philinte does not like to be hugged.
6. Who is being summoned in Act 2, Scene 6?
7. Acaste and Clitandre start naming members of what in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) The government.
(b) Célimène's suitors.
(c) The court.
(d) A secret club.
8. Who goes to see Célimène in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. Why does Celimene agree to see Acaste?
(a) Celimene believes it is the only way to preserve her reputation.
(b) Celimene thinks Acaste will not like her if she does not see him.
(c) Celimene likes Acaste better than Alceste.
(d) Celimene is tired of her conversation with Alceste.
10. What word best describes Moliere's possible reason for having Alceste's visitor dressed as he is?
11. Who enters at the beginning of Scene Two?
12. What does Alceste tell Philinte as he leaves?
(b) Do not follow.
(c) He despises her.
(d) He loves her.
13. What is Alceste's reaction when Basque makes this announcement?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He gets very angry.
(c) He yells at Célimène.
(d) He is shocked.
14. When Alceste leaves Celimene's house, who goes with him?
15. When Alceste announces his intentions to leave, what does he really want from Celimene?
(a) Alceste wants Celimene to send the visitors away.
(b) Alceste wants Celimene to marry him.
(c) Alceste wants Celimene to admit she does not love him.
(d) Alceste wants Celimene to apologize.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Act 3, Scene 1 opens, who does Clitandre ask if they are content?
2. Who confronts Célimène about her many men?
3. Who points out that Alceste complains whether people praise or criticize him?
4. Why does Celimene state she needs to be nice to Clitandre?
5. What does Alceste think about honesty?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)