Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Célimène described physically?
(a) Average looking.
(b) Somewhat pretty.
(c) Very attractive.
(d) Very ugly.
2. When Célimène tells Alceste he's mad for staying, what does she mean?
(a) He's very upset.
(b) He's angry.
(c) He's sad.
(d) He's crazy.
3. How does Philinte feel about Oronte's sonnet?
(a) It makes her cry.
(b) She is indifferent.
(c) She praises it.
(d) She despises it.
4. Who is Acaste?
(a) Philinte's friend.
(b) Alceste's brother
(c) Alceste's friend.
(d) One of two marquis who pursue Célimène.
5. Who does the man in the street hug?
6. How does Celimene feel about one of her visitors wanting to leave?
7. What does Alceste want Celimene to do about the new suitor?
(a) Let him in.
(b) State she is not interested.
(c) Introduces him to her cousin.
(d) Send him away.
8. What is another theme in this play, in addition to honesty?
(b) Self esteem.
(c) Self desception.
9. What happens when Alceste complains about the other encouraging Celimene's gossip?
(a) His is ridiculed.
(b) He is asked to leave.
(c) The others agree.
10. While Oronte is reading his sonnet, what does Alceste whisper to Philinte?
(a) Alceste criticizes what Oronte is wearing.
(b) Alceste tells Philinte that they should applaud when the poem is over.
(c) Alceste asks if the sonnet is almost over.
(d) Alceste criticizes Philinte's praising of the sonnet.
11. Oronte's leaving suggests what about his asking for honest opinions on his sonnet?
(a) That Oronte does not like Alceste and Philinte.
(b) That Oronte thinks the poem is better than it is.
(c) That Oronte is not very nice.
(d) That Oronte really wants flattery, not honesty.
12. Why may Celimene be afraid to reject Clitandre?
(a) Because Celimene is afraid Clitandre will hurt Alceste.
(b) Because Celimene likes Clitandre.
(c) Because he is a big man.
(d) Because he is influential in court.
13. When Act 2, Scene 5 opens, who enters with a message for Alceste?
14. Who tries to make Celimene make a choice between her visitors?
15. Who announces a visitor at the beginning of Ace Two, Scene Two?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alceste leave in Act One, Scene Three?
2. Oronte asks Alceste to critique what?
3. Who goes to see Célimène in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. Who does Eliante secretly admire?
5. At first, how does Célimène react to Alceste's reaction to the visitor in Act 2, Scene 3?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)