|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Célimène described in Act 1, Scene 1?
(b) A flirt and gossip.
(c) Painfully shy.
(d) Outspoken and rude.
2. In addition of Philinte and Clitandre, what other visitor is new to Act Two, Scene Four?
3. How does Alceste feel about the friendship?
(a) It needs time to grow.
(b) It is good.
(c) They are quickly best friends.
(d) It never works.
4. Why does Clitandre tease Acaste?
(a) He makes fun of his haircut.
(b) He makes fun of his clothes.
(c) He makes fun of his list of qualities.
(d) He asks why Acaste hangs around Célimène if he doesn't have a chance with her.
5. According to Philinte, when does Alceste complain?
(a) When others lie.
(b) All the time.
(c) When others gossip.
(d) When others praise or criticize him.
6. When Oronte reacts to Alceste's opinion about his sonnet, who intervenes?
(a) Celimene's cousin.
7. What is the significance of a new character in Act One, Scene Two?
(a) He is a new suitor of Celimenes.
(b) He is the true husband of Celimenes.
(c) He is a famous artist.
(d) He is an officer.
8. How does Oronte chastise his subject in the sonnet?
(a) He discusses his love lost.
(b) His subject gives him false hope.
(c) He refuses to read the sonnet.
(d) His subject belittles him.
9. Who is Alceste the most jealous of in terms of Célimène?
10. During their discussion in Act 3, scene 1, Clitandre teases Acaste about what?
(a) His social position.
(b) His chances with Celimene.
(c) His big nose.
(d) His chances with Eliante.
11. Based on Celimene's behavior regarding visitors in Act 2, Scene 3, what seems to be most important to Celimene?
(a) Celimene believes being hypocritical is acceptable.
(b) Celimene places importance on honesty.
(c) Celimene places importance on social matters.
(d) Celimene believes it is important to let people know how she feels.
12. Who does Célimène say is popular only because of his cook?
13. How does Philinte feel about Oronte's sonnet?
(a) She is indifferent.
(b) She praises it.
(c) She despises it.
(d) It makes her cry.
14. Why does Basque answer the door at Celimene's house?
(a) He is her butler.
(b) He likes to open doors.
(c) Celimene asks him to do so.
(d) He is leaving the house.
15. What does the officer's uniform tell the characters?
(a) He is Colonel.
(b) He is a police man.
(c) He is a Lieutenant.
(d) He is the Marshall's Sergeant-at-Arms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Philinte claim Alceste is defending?
2. What does Alceste encourage Celimene of doing in Act Two, Scene One?
3. Who announces a visitor at the beginning of Ace Two, Scene Two?
4. Alceste tells Basque to do what with the person who awaits him?
5. Who does Alceste confide in when he is grieving in Act Two, Scene One?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)