|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Célimène's feelings change about Alceste's reaction to the visitor?
(a) She tells Basque to escort him out.
(b) She throws him out without a word.
(c) She then becomes angry and insists that he go.
(d) She then becomes angry but asks him to stay.
2. What is Alceste unable to do for others or for himself?
(a) Have empathy.
(b) Be honest.
3. Who does Alceste confide in when he is grieving in Act Two, Scene One?
4. Who tries to smooth things over in Act Two, Scene Six?
5. Who does Célimène say is popular only because of his cook?
6. How is Célimène described physically?
(a) Average looking.
(b) Very ugly.
(c) Somewhat pretty.
(d) Very attractive.
7. After Philinte points out who Alceste does not like, what flaw in Alceste's personality does Philinte observe?
(a) That Alceste complains even if someone praises him.
(b) That Alceste is too happy.
(c) That Alceste is too critical of Celimene.
(d) That Alceste is depressing.
8. Where does Act One, Scene One open?
(a) In America.
(b) In Germany.
(c) In Paris.
(d) In England.
9. Why does Alceste say love is not decided by reason?
(a) Alceste plans to break up with Celimene.
(b) Alceste knows Eliante is a better match for him than Celimene.
(c) Philinte should be in love with Eliante, but is not.
(d) Love is an unreasonable thing.
10. Whom is Alceste in love with?
11. What is Alceste's response after he hears Philinte's theory about the summons?
(a) Alceste decides not to go to court.
(b) Alceste cries.
(c) Alceste swears he will not back down.
(d) Alceste asks Philinte to go in his place.
12. Why does Philante advise Alceste to get help with the lawsuit in which he is involved?
(a) His accuser works for the police.
(b) Philante does not want Alceste to go to jail.
(c) His accuser is very popular and influential.
(d) He is definitely in the wrong and needs a good defense.
13. Who are the two women in Act One, Scene One waiting for?
(a) Celimene and her cousin.
(b) Oronte and Celimene.
(c) Alceste and Philinte.
(d) Celimene and Philinte.
14. While attempting to correct Celimene, what does Alceste admit about her?
(a) That Alceste wishes Celimene were a nicer person.
(b) That Celimene is avoiding Alceste.
(c) That Alceste no longer loves Celimene.
(d) That Celimene's good looks attract many men.
15. During Oronte's reading of his sonnet to Philinte and Alceste, how does Philinite react to the poem?
(a) Philinte thinks the poem should be rewritten.
(b) Philinte praises the sonnet.
(c) Philinte says the sonnet is horrible.
(d) Philinte points out ways the sonnet could be better.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who points out that Alceste complains whether people praise or criticize him?
2. What does Celimene avow to Alceste?
3. To Alceste, what is worse, people's false friendship or their ridicule?
4. What happens after Oronte's response to Alceste's reaction to his sonnet?
5. Célimène will not do what Alceste says in Act 2, Scene 2 because she says she is afraid of what?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)