|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On their way to Celimen's home, Philinte tells Alceste that one should not blame human beings for their ______?
2. What is Basque's job?
(a) A court jester.
(b) A court official.
(c) A governor.
(d) To announce guests.
3. After Alceste reacts to the news of a second visitor, what does Celimene ask Alceste to do?
(a) Celimene asks Alceste to set the table for dinner.
(b) Celimene asks Alceste to be nice.
(c) Celimene asks Alceste to stay.
(d) Celimene asks Alceste for his help in entertaining the guests.
4. What does Alceste want Celimene to do about the new suitor?
(a) Send him away.
(b) Introduces him to her cousin.
(c) State she is not interested.
(d) Let him in.
5. Who is Alceste jealous of?
6. Who is the man in uniform that arrives in Act 2, Scene 6?
(c) Marshal's Sergeant-at-Arms.
7. During Act One, Scene Three, who is arguing?
(a) Philinte and Oronte.
(b) Alceste and Oronte.
(c) Philinte and Alceste.
(d) Alceste and Celimene.
8. What does Alceste want Celimene to do about the court case?
(a) Seek council.
(b) Deny the charges.
(c) Not attend the hearing.
(d) Forget about it and be honest with him.
9. What do we know about Célimène's past?
(a) She is married.
(b) She was engaged once.
(c) She is engaged in this scene.
(d) She was a young widow.
10. Why does Celimene state she needs to be nice to Clitandre?
(a) He is influential in court.
(b) She is in love with him.
(c) He is very wealthy.
(d) He is a family friend.
11. Why does Celimene re-enter the room?
(a) Someone calls her name.
(b) She hears someone at the door.
(c) She does not like other talking in private.
(d) She is becoming bored.
12. Who talks about hating hypocrisy in the beginning of the play?
13. Who is Basque?
(a) Celimene's brother.
(b) Philinte's cousin.
(c) Celimene's butler.
(d) Alceste's friend.
14. Célimène seems to care deeply about saving what in Act 2, Scene2?
(a) Her life.
(b) Her reputation.
(c) Alceste's love for her.
(d) Acaste's love for her.
15. Why do Acaste and Clitandre begin naming members in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) To test Célimène on their names.
(b) Just to hear Célimène decimate them.
(c) To boast about who they know.
(d) To name people they want to get even with.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is not in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 4?
2. When Célimène is with one suitor, how does she speak about the others?
3. When Alceste leaves Celimene's house, who goes with him?
4. In the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, we are introduced to yet another suitor of Célimène's. Who?
5. What is the relationship between Alceste and Philiminte?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)