|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who enters at the beginning of Scene Two?
2. What does Oronte's sonnet reveal about his relationship with Celimene?
(a) Oronte believes Celimene is leading him on.
(b) Oronte and Celemine have a close relationship.
(c) Oronte believes Celimene will marry him.
(d) Oronte does not love Celemine.
3. In Act Two, Scene Three, who is also downstairs?
4. How does Célimène react to being pressured to make a choice about her suitors?
(b) Gets angry.
(c) Brushes it off.
(d) Runs away.
5. What does Alceste think love and relationship should be based on?
(c) The heart.
6. What is the relationship between Alceste and Philiminte?
7. What is the definition of a misanthrope?
(a) A hater of human kind.
(b) A lover of human kind.
(c) A liar.
(d) A joker.
8. What is Alceste's opinion of Oronte's work?
(a) He is jealous of it.
(b) He has no opinion.
(c) He likes it.
(d) He has a negative opinion.
9. Why does Alceste hate humanity?
(a) Because of its hyprocrisy.
(b) Because of its greed.
(c) Because of its loathing.
(d) Because of its happiness.
10. How does Alceste distinguish himself among his company?
(a) His high intelligence.
(b) His wisdom.
(c) His financial status.
(d) His high principles.
11. Why is Alceste grieving in Act Two, Scene One?
(a) A dear friend just passed away.
(b) Philinte may not love him.
(c) Celimene may not love him.
(d) He is facing court charges.
12. What does Celimene avow to Alceste?
(a) That Celimene loves Alceste.
(b) That Eliante loves Alceste.
(c) That she loves Clitandre.
(d) That she loves Oronte.
13. What happens when Alceste complains about the other encouraging Celimene's gossip?
(a) The others agree.
(b) He is asked to leave.
(d) His is ridiculed.
14. How does Alceste react to the news of yet another visitor?
(a) Alceste decides he does not love Celimene.
(b) Alceste is glad to have another visitor.
(c) Alceste invites himself to dinner.
(d) Alceste says he is leaving.
15. When Alceste leaves Celimene's house, who goes with him?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many lines are in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. Why does Alceste refuse to get legal help with the lawsuit in which he is involved?
3. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, we discover Alceste wishes he could do what?
4. During the argument with Philinte, what is revealed about Alceste?
5. Who does Eliante secretly admire?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)