|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oronte want that Alceste does not give?
2. What happens after Oronte's response to Alceste's reaction to his sonnet?
(a) Philinte tells Alceste he had every right to react that way.
(b) Alceste tells Philinte he actually liked the sonnet.
(c) Philinte and Alceste resume their argument.
(d) Philinte and Alceste laugh about Oronte.
3. Who goes to see Célimène in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. When Clitandre and Acaste speak, whom are they with?
(a) They are talking amongst themselves in a large group of people.
(b) They are with Oronte.
(c) They are with Célimène and Philinte.
(d) They are alone.
5. What is Alceste's response after he hears Philinte's theory about the summons?
(a) Alceste cries.
(b) Alceste swears he will not back down.
(c) Alceste decides not to go to court.
(d) Alceste asks Philinte to go in his place.
6. Why does Oronte gush over Alceste in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Over the wisdom of his response.
(b) He likes his haircut.
(c) He likes his clothes.
(d) He thinks his choice in Célimène is very good.
7. In addition of Philinte and Clitandre, what other visitor is new to Act Two, Scene Four?
8. Alceste is doing what when he threatens to leave in Act 2, Scene 3?
(b) Being honest.
9. During the conversation in Act 2, Scene 4, why do Acaste and Clitandre ridicule Alceste?
(a) Alceste complains that there are too many people present.
(b) Alceste complains that Celimene is being encouraged to gossip.
(c) Alceste complains that his time with Celimene has been interrupted.
(d) Alceste makes fun of Acaste and Clitandre.
10. In Act 1, Philinte meets a man on the street who hugs him and acts like his best friend. What is embarrassing about this situation?
(a) Philinte does not like the man.
(b) Philinte does not like to be hugged.
(c) Philinte cannot remember the man's name.
(d) Men should not hug each other.
11. To Alceste, what is worse, people's false friendship or their ridicule?
(a) They are equally bad.
(b) He doesn't know.
(d) False friendship.
12. What is the first honest thing Celimene says in Act Two, Scene Three?
(a) Professes her love for Alceste.
(b) States she is not interested in any of the men.
(c) Calls Alceste's bluff.
(d) Professes her love for Clitandre.
13. After Alceste reacts to the news of a second visitor, what does Celimene ask Alceste to do?
(a) Celimene asks Alceste to set the table for dinner.
(b) Celimene asks Alceste to be nice.
(c) Celimene asks Alceste to stay.
(d) Celimene asks Alceste for his help in entertaining the guests.
14. Before Oronte reads his sonnet, about what does Alceste warn him?
(a) Alceste warns him that he will be honest in his critique.
(b) Alceste warms Oronte that he does not like him.
(c) Alceste warms him that he does not like poetry.
(d) Alceste warns Oronte that he too loves Celimene.
15. When Alceste leaves, what does Philinte do?
(a) He gives up.
(b) He goes out to find Oronte.
(c) He follows him.
(d) He goes home.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Act 2, Scene 5 what is Alceste awaiting for?
2. During the argument with Philinte, what is revealed about Alceste?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, of what is Celimene accused?
4. How many lines are in Act 3, Scene 2?
5. What does Alceste want Célimène to tell Acaste in Act 2, Scene 2?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)