|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "When a man really loves, he loves faults and all"?
2. When Alceste goes to court, he insists that he won't what?
(b) Back down.
(c) Mention Philinte's name.
(d) Get angry.
3. Which word best describes Act 2, Scene 5?
4. During Act One, Scene Three, who is arguing?
(a) Alceste and Oronte.
(b) Philinte and Alceste.
(c) Philinte and Oronte.
(d) Alceste and Celimene.
5. Oronte's leaving suggests what about his asking for honest opinions on his sonnet?
(a) That Oronte really wants flattery, not honesty.
(b) That Oronte does not like Alceste and Philinte.
(c) That Oronte thinks the poem is better than it is.
(d) That Oronte is not very nice.
6. Other than the two marquis who visit Celimene in Act 2, Scene 4, what other visitors does she receive?
(a) Oronte and Eliante.
(b) Alceste and Oronte.
(c) Eliante and Philinte.
(d) Oronte and Philinte.
7. Who might be the misanthropes of the play?
(c) Philinte and Ã‰liante.
(d) Alceste and CÃ©limÃ¨ne.
8. Which word best describes Celimene's real reputation?
9. Who indicates that Oronte's sonnet is horrible and he does not back down from that criticism?
10. Where is someone being summoned to in Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) Town square.
(b) The governor's office.
(c) The royal court.
(d) The capitol building.
11. Upset by all the visitors who have interrupted his conversation with Celimene, Alceste tries to pressure Celimene into doing what?
(a) Deciding who she likes better, Alceste or Philinte.
(b) Deciding between Alceste and her other suitors.
(c) Deciding between Clitandre and Acaste.
(d) Deciding if she will marry Alceste.
12. Who talks about hating hypocrisy in the beginning of the play?
13. Who does the new character ask to be his friend?
14. What is another theme in this play, in addition to honesty?
(c) Self desception.
(d) Self esteem.
15. Who praises Oronte's work throughout his reading?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 3, who also comes to visit Célimène?
2. What is Alceste unable to do for others or for himself?
3. What is one possible reason for Alceste's harsh words about Oronte's sonnet?
4. Why does Célimène say she is nice to Clitandre?
5. What does Celimene like when there are many suitors visiting?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)