|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act Two, Scene Three, what does the reader learn about Alceste's position in Celimene's life?
(a) He is her one true love.
(b) He is indespensable.
(c) He is dispensable.
(d) He is only a friend.
2. According to Philinte, when does Alceste complain?
(a) When others gossip.
(b) All the time.
(c) When others lie.
(d) When others praise or criticize him.
3. Who is the new visitor in Act Two, Scene Two?
4. What is the most honest thing Celemine says to Alceste in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) That Alceste is not indespensible to her.
(b) That Celemine is leading Alceste on.
(c) That Oronte is her true love.
(d) That Celemine likes to flirt.
5. What is Alceste's opinion of Oronte's work?
(a) He has a negative opinion.
(b) He is jealous of it.
(c) He has no opinion.
(d) He likes it.
6. Alceste's threat to leave if Celimene does not do what he wants can best be described as what?
(a) A complaint.
(d) Asking for attention.
7. Why does Celimene state she needs to be nice to Clitandre?
(a) He is very wealthy.
(b) He is a family friend.
(c) He is influential in court.
(d) She is in love with him.
8. Which word best describes the symbolism of Alceste's visitor arriving just as he is waiting for Celimene's judgment on their relationship?
9. Who does Alceste's reason say is a better match for him?
(d) No one.
10. Who is in love with Alceste?
11. Who is Alceste jealous of?
12. After Acaste and Clitandre arrive, why do they start naming members of the royal court?
(a) They are trying to make small talk.
(b) They plan to report what is said back to the royal court.
(c) They are trying to impress Alceste.
(d) They want to hear Celimene gossip about the royal court members.
13. In Act 2, Scene 5, what does Alceste receive?
(b) A surprise.
(c) A visitor.
(d) A gift.
14. Why does Alceste not fully trust that Celimene loves him?
(a) Alceste wonders how many other men have been told by Celimene that she loves them.
(b) Alceste has seen Celimene with other men.
(c) Celimene is a habitual liar.
(d) Alceste has problems trusting other people.
15. What kind of person does Alceste portray himself as?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alceste want Celimene to tell Basque?
2. Why does Oronte gush over Alceste in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What does Alceste wish he can do about Celimene?
4. What is Philinte's theory about why Alceste is being called upon by a man in a uniform?
5. Why did Oronte's work upset Alceste?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)