|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides Alceste, who also has a case pending in court?
2. At the beginning of Act Three, Scene One who talks in private?
(a) Clitandre and Celimene.
(b) Basque and Acaste.
(c) Clitandre and Acaste.
(d) Clitandre and Basque.
3. Which word best describes Act 3, Scene 2?
4. After Acaste's defense, Clitandre himself gets defensive and uses which word to describe Acaste?
5. Upset by all the visitors who have interrupted his conversation with Celimene, Alceste tries to pressure Celimene into doing what?
(a) Deciding if she will marry Alceste.
(b) Deciding between Alceste and her other suitors.
(c) Deciding between Clitandre and Acaste.
(d) Deciding who she likes better, Alceste or Philinte.
6. What medical problem is Alceste suspected on having?
7. Who indicates that Oronte's sonnet is horrible and he does not back down from that criticism?
8. Who is Basque?
(a) Alceste's friend.
(b) Celimene's brother.
(c) Philinte's cousin.
(d) Celimene's butler.
9. What does Celimene think she is doing by accepting many suitors?
(a) Making Alceste jealous.
(b) Finding the right man.
(c) Perserving her reputation.
(d) Making everyone happy.
10. During Act 2 Scene 4, how does Celimene react to Alceste's pressuring her into a decision?
(a) Celimene tells him to leave.
(b) Celimene brushes him off.
(c) Celimene decides to marry Alceste.
(d) Celimene makes a decision.
11. How does Celimene feel about one of her visitors wanting to leave?
12. How does Philinte feel about Oronte's sonnet?
(a) She despises it.
(b) It makes her cry.
(c) She praises it.
(d) She is indifferent.
13. How does Oronte react to Alceste's honest opinion of his sonnet?
(a) Oronte becomes angry.
(b) Oronte crumbles up the sonnet and throws it away.
(c) Oronte cries.
(d) Oronte decides to rewrite the sonnet.
14. Before the group takes a walk in the gallery, how does Eliante put an end to the argument?
(a) Eliante tells them to stop arguing.
(b) Eliante tells Alceste she loves him.
(c) Eliante leaves the room.
(d) Eliante says true love overlooks faults.
15. After arguing with Philinte, why does Alceste decide to leave?
(a) Alceste is mad at Celimene.
(b) Alceste is hungry.
(c) Alceste is upset.
(d) Alceste has to go to work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the officer's uniform tell the characters?
2. When Clitandre and Acaste speak, whom are they with?
3. Who goes to see Célimène in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. Why does someone re-enter the room in Act 3, Scene 2?
5. What happens after Oronte's response to Alceste's reaction to his sonnet?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)