|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Celimene re-enter the room?
(a) Someone calls her name.
(b) She is becoming bored.
(c) She does not like other talking in private.
(d) She hears someone at the door.
2. Other than the two marquis who visit Celimene in Act 2, Scene 4, what other visitors does she receive?
(a) Eliante and Philinte.
(b) Oronte and Philinte.
(c) Alceste and Oronte.
(d) Oronte and Eliante.
3. Who enters at the beginning of Scene Two?
4. What does Philinte think about the summons in Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) He thinks he has committed a crime.
(b) He thinks it is about Célimène's many suitors.
(c) He thinks it is because of the insult to Oronte's sonnet.
(d) He thinks there is no reason for it.
5. Who is being summoned in Act 2, Scene 6?
6. Acaste and Clitandre start naming members of what in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) The government.
(b) The court.
(c) Célimène's suitors.
(d) A secret club.
7. Why does Philante advise Alceste to get help with the lawsuit in which he is involved?
(a) His accuser is very popular and influential.
(b) Philante does not want Alceste to go to jail.
(c) He is definitely in the wrong and needs a good defense.
(d) His accuser works for the police.
8. As it appears, how does Célimène string along her suitors?
(a) Telling each of them he is the only one she loves.
(c) By baking them treats.
(d) Her good looks.
9. Where are the women in Act One, Scene One?
(b) At church.
(c) At the park.
(d) At school.
10. During Act 2, Scene 5 what is Alceste awaiting for?
(a) Célimène's judgment.
(b) The other suitors to arrive.
(c) The arrival of someone in a uniform.
(d) The sunset.
11. How does Alceste react to the news of yet another visitor?
(a) Alceste decides he does not love Celimene.
(b) Alceste is glad to have another visitor.
(c) Alceste says he is leaving.
(d) Alceste invites himself to dinner.
12. Why does Alceste leave in Act One, Scene Three?
(a) He does not like the company.
(b) He is not welcome.
(c) He must go to work.
(d) He is too upset.
13. How does Alceste feel about Celimene's proposed love for him?
14. In Act 2, Scene 3, which sentence best describes Celimene's attitude towards Alceste?
(a) Celimene cares deeply for Alceste.
(b) Celimene does not care what Alceste thinks.
(c) Alceste is not Celimene's friend.
(d) Alceste is not important to Celimene.
15. What does Celimene think she is doing by accepting many suitors?
(a) Finding the right man.
(b) Perserving her reputation.
(c) Making Alceste jealous.
(d) Making everyone happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, we discover Alceste wishes he could do what?
2. Who is not in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 4?
3. What does Philinte do in Act 1, Scene 3, even though Alceste tells him not to?
4. What is Acaste's response to Clitandre's questioning?
5. The other suitors have a laugh at whose expense?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)