|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Philinte's theory about why Alceste is being called upon by a man in a uniform?
(a) Alceste's insults about Oronte's sonnet.
(b) Alceste's lawsuit.
(c) Alceste's dislike of the royal court.
(d) Alceste's argument with Celimene.
2. Who goes to see Célimène in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. Who does Célimène say is popular only because of his cook?
4. What does Oronte's sonnet say about Celimene's kindness towards him?
(a) That she is always nice to him.
(b) That she is kind to love him.
(c) That she says kind things to him.
(d) That her kindness is not kind at all.
5. What is the subject of Oronte's sonnet?
(a) Oronte's friendship with Alceste.
(b) Why it is important to be honest.
(c) Oronte's love for Celimene.
(d) How to be a professional poet.
6. What does Celimene threaten to do if Alceste continues being suspicious of her?
(a) To retract her declaration of love.
(b) To marry Philinte instead.
(c) To never speak to Alceste again.
(d) To stop being Alceste's friend.
7. Alceste continues to stand by his thoughts in Act 2, Scene 6 about what?
(a) That the sonnet was horrible.
(b) That the other suitors are better than he is.
(c) That Célimène is beautiful.
(d) That Philinte has hard feelings toward him.
8. As Act 3, Scene 1 opens, who does Clitandre ask if they are content?
9. What does Celimene tell Basque regarding Clitandre?
(a) Celimene tells Basque to tell Ciltandre to go away.
(b) Celimene descides to ignore Basque.
(c) Celimene tells Basque to come back later.
(d) Celimene tells Basque to show Clitandre inside.
10. Which word best describes Act 3, Scene 2?
11. Who is scolding during Oronte's reading?
12. Why may Celimene be afraid to reject Clitandre?
(a) Because Celimene is afraid Clitandre will hurt Alceste.
(b) Because Celimene likes Clitandre.
(c) Because he is influential in court.
(d) Because he is a big man.
13. When Oronte reacts to Alceste's opinion about his sonnet, who intervenes?
(c) Celimene's cousin.
14. Act 2, Scene 6, takes place where?
(a) Basque's house.
(b) In the gallery.
(c) Celimene's house.
(d) At the court house.
15. What is one way to describe Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Average length.
(b) Very brief.
(c) Longer than the rest.
(d) Very long.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clitandre ask of Acaste?
2. Who are the two women in Act One, Scene One waiting for?
3. Who tries to make Celimene make a choice between her visitors?
4. What causes Alceste to become so upset during Act One, Scene Three?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, of what is Celimene accused?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)