|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what does Alceste plan to change Celimene?
(a) His social position.
(b) His love.
(c) His education.
(d) His money.
2. Why does Philante advise Alceste to get help with the lawsuit in which he is involved?
(a) He is definitely in the wrong and needs a good defense.
(b) His accuser works for the police.
(c) Philante does not want Alceste to go to jail.
(d) His accuser is very popular and influential.
3. What is the relationship between Alceste and Philiminte?
4. When Basque makes his announcement, whom does it involve?
5. When Clitandre and Acaste speak, whom are they with?
(a) They are with Célimène and Philinte.
(b) They are talking amongst themselves in a large group of people.
(c) They are alone.
(d) They are with Oronte.
6. What is another theme in this play, in addition to honesty?
(b) Self esteem.
(d) Self desception.
7. How does Oronte show his friendly affection for Alceste?
(a) He buys Alceste a present.
(b) With a kiss on the cheek.
(c) He greets Alceste with a handshake.
(d) With a hug.
8. What happens when Alceste complains about the other encouraging Celimene's gossip?
(b) The others agree.
(c) His is ridiculed.
(d) He is asked to leave.
9. What is Philinte's view on honesty?
(a) Honesty is overrated.
(b) He thinks you never have to honest if you don't want to.
(c) Honesty is important but you should be civil in all human interactions.
(d) He agrees with Alceste.
10. What does Celimene avow to Alceste?
(a) That Eliante loves Alceste.
(b) That Celimene loves Alceste.
(c) That she loves Clitandre.
(d) That she loves Oronte.
11. What does Celimene like when there are many suitors visiting?
(a) The fighting.
(b) The attention.
(c) The presents.
(d) The good company.
12. Why does Alceste leave in Act One, Scene Three?
(a) He must go to work.
(b) He is not welcome.
(c) He is too upset.
(d) He does not like the company.
13. What surprises Alceste during his conversation with Basque in Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) Alceste was not expecting Celimene.
(b) Basque startles him.
(c) A man's asking for him at the door.
(d) Basque is rude.
14. Who is scolding during Oronte's reading?
15. Oronte's leaving suggests what about his asking for honest opinions on his sonnet?
(a) That Oronte is not very nice.
(b) That Oronte thinks the poem is better than it is.
(c) That Oronte does not like Alceste and Philinte.
(d) That Oronte really wants flattery, not honesty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Celimene like visitors?
2. Why does Celimene question the genuineness of Alceste's high principles in front of her visitors?
3. What does Celimene threaten to do if Alceste continues being suspicious of her?
4. Who are two people who are not gossiping in Act 2, Scene 5?
5. Where does Act One, Scene One open?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)