|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alceste tell Philinte as he leaves?
(b) Do not follow.
(c) He despises her.
(d) He loves her.
2. What does Elinate say about love in Act Two, Scene Four?
(a) One can have many true loves.
(b) True love includes love of one's faults.
(c) Love conquers all.
(d) True love does not exist.
3. What does Alceste encourage Celimene of doing in Act Two, Scene One?
(a) Making men fall in love with her.
(b) Lying to men.
(c) Denying men.
(d) Flirting with men.
4. What is the relationship between Alceste and Philinte?
(a) They are brothers.
(b) They both like Celimene.
(c) They both dislike poetry.
(d) They are good friends.
5. How does Alceste distinguish himself among his company?
(a) His high intelligence.
(b) His financial status.
(c) His wisdom.
(d) His high principles.
6. What happens when Alceste complains about the other encouraging Celimene's gossip?
(a) He is asked to leave.
(b) The others agree.
(d) His is ridiculed.
7. Who confronts Célimène about her many men?
8. During their discussion in Act 3, scene 1, Clitandre teases Acaste about what?
(a) His big nose.
(b) His chances with Celimene.
(c) His chances with Eliante.
(d) His social position.
9. What do we know about Célimène's past?
(a) She was a young widow.
(b) She is engaged in this scene.
(c) She is married.
(d) She was engaged once.
10. While Oronte is reading his sonnet, what does Alceste whisper to Philinte?
(a) Alceste tells Philinte that they should applaud when the poem is over.
(b) Alceste criticizes what Oronte is wearing.
(c) Alceste asks if the sonnet is almost over.
(d) Alceste criticizes Philinte's praising of the sonnet.
11. Where does Alceste's visitor tell Alceste he is wanted?
(a) At the police station.
(b) At the jail.
(c) At the royal court.
(d) At home.
12. What affect is Celimene's inviting Acaste inside having on Celimene's reputation?
(a) Inviting Acaste inside has no affect on Celimene's reputation.
(b) Inviting Acaste inside is helping Celimene's reputation as a nice person.
(c) Inviting Acaste inside is the only way to improve Celimene's reputation.
(d) Inviting Acaste inside is reinforcing Celimene's reputation as a flirt.
13. Why does Clitandre tease Acaste?
(a) He makes fun of his list of qualities.
(b) He makes fun of his haircut.
(c) He makes fun of his clothes.
(d) He asks why Acaste hangs around Célimène if he doesn't have a chance with her.
14. How does Philinte feel about Oronte's sonnet?
(a) It makes her cry.
(b) She praises it.
(c) She despises it.
(d) She is indifferent.
15. What does Alceste want Célimène to tell Acaste in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) That she is in love with Alceste.
(b) That she is not taking visitors right now.
(c) That he should go far, far away.
(d) That she never wants to see him again.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act Two, Scene Three, what does the reader learn about Alceste's position in Celimene's life?
2. As Act 3, Scene 1 opens, who does Clitandre ask if they are content?
3. Alceste is accused of doing what to people he doesn't like?
4. Based on Celimene's behavior regarding visitors in Act 2, Scene 3, what seems to be most important to Celimene?
5. Who is Basque?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)