|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Célimène say is popular only because of his cook?
2. When Basque enters the room, who does he say is waiting downstairs to see Celimene?
3. What does Celimene like when there are many suitors visiting?
(a) The fighting.
(b) The good company.
(c) The presents.
(d) The attention.
4. Who are two people who are not gossiping in Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) CÃ©limÃ¨ne and Acaste.
(b) Ã‰liante and Philinte.
(c) CÃ©limÃ¨ne and Oronte.
(d) CÃ©limÃ¨ne and Clitandre.
5. What does Alceste wait for Celimene to do in Act Two, Scene Four?
(a) If she allows any more suitors in.
(b) Chooses a suitor.
(c) If she calls for tea.
(d) He waits to see who she sends away first.
6. In the opening of the play, what reason does Alceste give for his hatred of humanity?
(a) Social hypocrisy.
(b) People are too honest.
(c) People are liars.
(d) A lack of intelligence.
7. How does Oronte chastise his subject in the sonnet?
(a) His subject belittles him.
(b) He refuses to read the sonnet.
(c) His subject gives him false hope.
(d) He discusses his love lost.
8. Which word best describes Act 3, Scene 2?
9. While listening to Oronte's sonnet, what might Alceste have learned that he does not want to share with Philinte?
(a) That Oronte's situation with Celimene is similar to his own.
(b) That Alceste is not an honest person.
(c) That Alceste loves himself more than he loves Celimene.
(d) That Oronte loves Celimene more than Alceste does.
10. What does Celimene avow to Alceste?
(a) That Celimene loves Alceste.
(b) That Eliante loves Alceste.
(c) That she loves Oronte.
(d) That she loves Clitandre.
11. When Alceste goes to court, he insists that he won't what?
(a) Back down.
(b) Mention Philinte's name.
(d) Get angry.
12. Where is someone being summoned to in Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) The royal court.
(b) The capitol building.
(c) Town square.
(d) The governor's office.
13. Why does Alceste get upset at Acaste and Clitandre in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) They are encouraging Célimène's gossiping.
(b) Because they are taking up his time with her.
(c) They won't leave.
(d) Célimène says she loves them best.
14. When Acaste answers in Act 3, Scene 1, he lists his what?
(a) Best qualities.
(b) Things that make him happy.
(c) Worst qualities.
(d) Things that make him sad.
15. What does Alceste think love and relationship should be based on?
(d) The heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 4, two marquis enter the room. Who are they?
2. In Act 1, Scene 3, Philinte is trying to find out what?
3. What is Philinte's theory about why Alceste is being called upon by a man in a uniform?
4. What does Oronte's sonnet say about Celimene's kindness towards him?
5. While attempting to correct Celimene, what does Alceste admit about her?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)