Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of scene 1, Philinte is hugged by a man he barely knows. How does Philinte react and why?
2. Philinte argues with his friend Alceste that humans should not be blamed for their faults. What example does Philinte give to explain his reasoning?
3. In Alceste's legal case, why does Alceste feel being right should be enough?
4. Why does Alceste say love is not decided by reason?
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, describe how Alceste reacts when Oronte hugs him and asks for his friendship. How does Alceste's reaction tie in with his view of hypocrisy?
6. Oronte asks Alceste and Philinte for an honest opinion of his sonnet. Why does Alceste warn Oronte before he begins reading the sonnet?
7. When Oronte reads his sonnet to Philinte and Alceste, what is revealed about his relationship with Celimene?
This section contains 2,797 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)