* Alceste and Philinte discuss hypocrisy in society while waiting for Celimene and her cousin, Eliante, to return from shopping.
* Philinte believes people should be polite, even if politeness means dishonesty to avoid hurting someone's feelings.
* Alceste thinks people should be honest at all times, and to be otherwise means being hypocritical.
* Alceste is in love with Celimene, although he considers her a flirt and gossip.
* Celimene's cousin, Eliante, is very fond of Alceste, but he states that love is not bound by reason.
* Alceste and Philinte reveal that Alceste is being sued, but he refuses to obtain a lawyer, insisting that his honesty is all he needs.
* We are introduced to Alceste, Philinte, and CÃ©limÃ¨ne.
* Alceste is in love with CÃ©limÃ¨ne.
* Alceste is disgusted with humanity and hypocrisy, and is facing an upcoming court issue.
* Alceste and Philinte introduce the theme of...
This section contains 3,632 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)