|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helen uses what object to try and hit Anne?
2. What business is Mr. Keller in?
3. What term is used to describe the Keller's living room?
4. Where is Annie hit?
5. The Kellers are amazed when Helen learns to use what item?
Short Essay Questions
1. What helps Helen to write? What does Helen do with this newfound skill?
2. Annie and Helen spend a long time in the dining room in a battle of wills. What does Annie manage to teach Helen?
3. How do the Kellers realize that Helen is blind and deaf?
4. Why is Annie hesitant to take her first paycheck from Captain Keller?
5. What does Captain Keller attribute Helen's behavior to at the table?
6. What happens after Helen speaks?
7. Annie tells Kate that blindness and deafness are not Helen's worst handicaps. What are the real handicaps?
8. What is Kate's reason for not disciplining Helen?
9. In the scene in the garden with Captain Keller, Helen is the focus while there is a lot of action in the background. What is the purpose of this arrangement?
10. Why do you think the play opened with Dr. Howe examining Helen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annie took Helen to Boston with the intention of introducing Helen to the Institute as well as to the Blind Girls and Mr. Anagnos. Do you think Annie, Kate or Mr. Keller intended to enroll Helen at the Institute? If so, why didn't Helen stay? How did the girls and Anagnos relate to Helen? What was Helen's opinion on the place and people?
Essay Topic 2
Several times throughout the story, Annie separates Helen from Kate. Why? What kind of influence did Kate have on Helen? On Annie? Was Kate's influence more or less important or powerful that that of Captain Keller? What point did Annie prove by taking Helen to the garden house? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The scenes at the dinner table caused the most friction between Annie and Captain Keller. What did Captain Keller plan to do about Annie's disrespect? How did the Captain feel when James took Annie's side? What might have happened if Annie had given in to Captain Keller and permitted Helen to run wild like she did before?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)