|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Helen's doctor?
2. What item does Helen continue to throw on the floor?
3. What day is the last to be X-ed out on the calendar?
4. What object is used to teach Helen to write?
5. How many operations did Annie have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annie want to take Helen out of the Kellers' house? Where do they go?
2. What is one of the main concerns of Anagnos regarding Annie Sullivan's position as governess with the Kellers?
3. Percy is interested in learning how to play "the finger game" with Helen. How does Helen know that it is not Annie's hand? How does Helen react?
4. Martha gives scissors to Helen as the children cut out paper dolls on the porch. Why would Martha do that and what is Helen's reaction?
5. One of the most powerful scenes in the play is the interaction with the water pump. Why is this scene/set so important?
6. Helen makes several attempts to get attention from each member of the family. What does she do to get attention and what are the results?
7. Why does James feel ashamed at seeing the activity in the garden house?
8. What is Kate's argument regarding the item Helen has thrown on the floor?
9. James meets Annie at the station, prepared to welcome her to Tuscumbia. Why is James the greeter and what part does the carriage play in the scene?
10. Why do you think the focus in the beginning comes from Helen as she stares out of her crib?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a highly effective method of using lighting on stage as well as in television. Cite at least three examples of how lighting was used as foreshadowing and how that knowledge affected the reader/viewer's perceptions.
Essay Topic 2
Captain Keller and Dr. Howe are both men at the tops of their respective professions. Compare and contrast the personalities and professional lives of the two men.
Essay Topic 3
Annie took Helen to Boston with the intention of introducing Helen to the Institute as well as to the Blind Girls and Mr. Anagnos. Do you think Annie, Kate or Mr. Keller intended to enroll Helen at the Institute? If so, why didn't Helen stay? How did the girls and Anagnos relate to Helen? What was Helen's opinion on the place and people?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)