|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year does the story begin?
2. The family decides to contact a doctor in what city?
3. What does Helen attack with the scissors?
4. The doctor refers to the challenge with Helen as what?
5. What item of clothing does Helen wear at the first meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Annie tells Kate Keller that she has three advantages over Dr. Howe when it comes to teaching Helen. What are they?
2. Why is Annie hesitant to take her first paycheck from Captain Keller?
3. What is a surprising result of Helen's teaching in regards to Kate?
4. Why is it important that Annie lets Helen into her bedroom?
5. Why does Helen return to her unruly ways at the dinner table?
6. What is the purpose of dividing the stage into quadrants?
7. How do you think Annie's letters affected the set(s)?
8. After spending time in Annie's room, Helen storms out and locks the door, leaving Annie trapped. What is the purpose of the locked door?
9. What do Annie and Helen do once they are at the water pump?
10. Annie tells Kate that blindness and deafness are not Helen's worst handicaps. What are the real handicaps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annie's journey from Boston to Alabama was used as a metaphor to describe what action and emotion? What was the Keller carriage used to represent in regards to Annie? How did the carriage represent James? How did it represent the Kellers?
Essay Topic 2
The scenes at the dinner table caused the most friction between Annie and Captain Keller. What did Captain Keller plan to do about Annie's disrespect? How did the Captain feel when James took Annie's side? What might have happened if Annie had given in to Captain Keller and permitted Helen to run wild like she did before?
Essay Topic 3
Several months later, the reader/viewer is witness to Helen and the family preparing for Christmas. Helen is shown writing. What tool has Annie employed to help Helen to write? How would Helen be able to learn to write so quickly? What does Helen do with this new found skill? How does Annie react to Helen's progress?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)