|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food item does Helen practice with in Act 2?
2. What will the helper's title be?
3. The doctor refers to the challenge with Helen as what?
4. What object is used to transport Helen's things?
5. What animal does Helen imitate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Helen speaks?
2. What is the incident between Helen and Martha on the porch? How could the incident have been prevented?
3. What is Helen's reaction to going to bed on the first night at the garden house? How does Annie deal with the situation?
4. One of the most powerful scenes in the play is the interaction with the water pump. Why is this scene/set so important?
5. Percy is interested in learning how to play "the finger game" with Helen. How does Helen know that it is not Annie's hand? How does Helen react?
6. What is the purpose of letting Helen play with the beads and string?
7. How does Helen react to the incident at the pump?
8. Several scenes are focused on letters written to various characters. Early on, Keller writes to Dr. Chisholm, who refers Keller to Alexander Graham Bell. What is the purpose of showing the exchanging of letters?
9. What was James' purpose in choosing that particular Bible verse for grace? Why did Aunt Ev object?
10. Why does Annie keep Helen from returning to Kate the minute they return to the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The scenes at the dinner table caused the most friction between Annie and Captain Keller. What did Captain Keller plan to do about Annie's disrespect? How did the Captain feel when James took Annie's side? What might have happened if Annie had given in to Captain Keller and permitted Helen to run wild like she did before?
Essay Topic 2
The scene at the water pump was a breakthrough in Annie's teaching. Explain the scene and how it affected Helen. What was the immediate result of the breakthrough? Examine how that one incident was responsible for Helen's ultimate success.
Essay Topic 3
Under the surface, Annie and Helen are quite a lot alike. Compare and contrast the personalities of each. Do the two complement each other? Explain.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)