|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item aggravates Anne's eyes on the train?
2. Which affliction is not related to Helen?
3. What present do the Blind Girls give to Helen?
4. What will be the first thing Helen will be taught?
5. What object does Anne use to begin to teach Helen to spell?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Annie the Perkins Institute helped her recover not only from blindness but from what other issue?
2. How do the Kellers realize that Helen is blind and deaf?
3. Why does Annie insist that Helen refill the water pitcher instead of allowing the servants to do it?
4. Why is Captain Keller surprised by James' reaction to Annie's outburst?
5. Martha gives scissors to Helen as the children cut out paper dolls on the porch. Why would Martha do that and what is Helen's reaction?
6. Why is there an argument over Helen at the dinner table?
7. The first gift from the Blind Girls to Annie had a special significance. What was it?
8. Annie does not intend to tell the Kellers about her history. What is Anagnos' advice on the matter?
9. Why is a great deal of the focus placed on Helen's face?
10. What is Dr. Howe's diagnosis for Helen and his advice for her recovery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annie took Helen to Boston with the intention of introducing Helen to the Institute as well as to the Blind Girls and Mr. Anagnos. Do you think Annie, Kate or Mr. Keller intended to enroll Helen at the Institute? If so, why didn't Helen stay? How did the girls and Anagnos relate to Helen? What was Helen's opinion on the place and people?
Essay Topic 2
James Keller is Captain Keller's son by his first marriage. James is the same age as Kate. What is the relationship between Kate and James? How does James relate to Helen? What part does James play in Helen's teaching and skill level? How does James help or hinder Annie's efforts?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Keller says that teaching Helen is like talking to a fence post. Annie disagrees and explains how she intends to teach Helen. What does Helen say? Is Mr. Keller being mean or realistic? How does Kate react? Does Helen know about their doubts? If so, how?
This section contains 1,495 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)