|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What accent is used by the characters?
2. What is supposedly wrong with the baby?
3. How many children appear on the set of the Keller porch?
4. A minimal set allows for what?
5. What item of clothing does Helen wear at the first meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the focus in the beginning comes from Helen as she stares out of her crib?
2. Why do you think the play opened with Dr. Howe examining Helen?
3. Why is Captain Keller surprised by James' reaction to Annie's outburst?
4. What is the significance of the sewing card? How does Helen show that she wants to do it on her own?
5. Why does Annie insist that Helen refill the water pitcher instead of allowing the servants to do it?
6. Annie tells Kate Keller that she has three advantages over Dr. Howe when it comes to teaching Helen. What are they?
7. In the scene in the garden with Captain Keller, Helen is the focus while there is a lot of action in the background. What is the purpose of this arrangement?
8. What is one of the main concerns of Anagnos regarding Annie Sullivan's position as governess with the Kellers?
9. Annie and Helen spend a long time in the dining room in a battle of wills. What does Annie manage to teach Helen?
10. Why does Helen return to her unruly ways at the dinner table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the incident at the water pump, a new bond forms between Annie and Helen. How does Helen react when Annie touches her face? Why? Does this move create a rift in the student/teacher relationship? How does Annie handle the next steps with Helen and the Kellers?
Essay Topic 2
James happened to see Annie at a vulnerable moment after her battle with Helen. Why did James feel ashamed? Did James' opinion of Annie change? Explain. How did James react when Annie told him about her history and nightmares? How did this exchange affect their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Annie took Helen to Boston with the intention of introducing Helen to the Institute as well as to the Blind Girls and Mr. Anagnos. Do you think Annie, Kate or Mr. Keller intended to enroll Helen at the Institute? If so, why didn't Helen stay? How did the girls and Anagnos relate to Helen? What was Helen's opinion on the place and people?
This section contains 1,445 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)