|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object is a common item used on set?
2. What item is featured first on the set?
3. To whom is Keller referred?
4. What is the occupation of the elderly gentleman in the room?
5. Helen has a history of exhibiting what characteristic?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think Annie's letters affected the set(s)?
2. Who makes the original suggestion that Helen should be put in an asylum? How do Helen's parents react?
3. The sets often include the presence of Belle, the family's setter. What is the purpose of including the dog?
4. The first gift from the Blind Girls to Annie had a special significance. What was it?
5. What is the purpose of letting Helen play with the beads and string?
6. What was James' purpose in choosing that particular Bible verse for grace? Why did Aunt Ev object?
7. Martha gives scissors to Helen as the children cut out paper dolls on the porch. Why would Martha do that and what is Helen's reaction?
8. What is Dr. Howe's diagnosis for Helen and his advice for her recovery?
9. According to Annie, what makes a person human?
10. What do Annie and Helen do once they are at the water pump?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Under the surface, Annie and Helen are quite a lot alike. Compare and contrast the personalities of each. Do the two complement each other? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Upon meeting Kate Keller, Annie said that she intended to teach Helen half of what an ordinary child might know. What was Kate's response and what was the conversation to follow? Whose opinion was correct in the end?
Essay Topic 3
Discipline was non-existent when it came to Helen. Why didn't the Kellers punish Helen for her unruly behavior? What was the common response to Helen's antics? How did Annie immediately change that aspect of the Kellers' household? What was the first step in changing Helen's behavior?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)