Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the Perkins Institute introduced into the set?
2. It is quickly learned that Helen does not have what?
3. What body part is often the main focus for the audience?
4. What accent is used by the characters?
5. A minimal set allows for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important that Annie lets Helen into her bedroom?
2. What is the significance of the sewing card? How does Helen show that she wants to do it on her own?
3. Several scenes are focused on letters written to various characters. Early on, Keller writes to Dr. Chisholm, who refers Keller to Alexander Graham Bell. What is the purpose of showing the exchanging of letters?
4. Why is Annie hesitant to take her first paycheck from Captain Keller?
5. What might have happened to Helen if Annie had not taken the job?
6. One of the most powerful scenes in the play is the interaction with the water pump. Why is this scene/set so important?
7. After spending time in Annie's room, Helen storms out and locks the door, leaving Annie trapped. What is the purpose of the locked door?
8. According to Annie the Perkins Institute helped her recover not only from blindness but from what other issue?
9. Why does Annie insist that Helen refill the water pitcher instead of allowing the servants to do it?
10. What is Kate's reason for not disciplining Helen?
Captain Keller and Dr. Howe are both men at the tops of their respective professions. Compare and contrast the personalities and professional lives of the two men.
Annie took Helen to Boston with the intention of introducing Helen to the Institute as well as to the Blind Girls and Mr. Anagnos. Do you think Annie, Kate or Mr. Keller intended to enroll Helen at the Institute? If so, why didn't Helen stay? How did the girls and Anagnos relate to Helen? What was Helen's opinion on the place and people?
James Keller is Captain Keller's son by his first marriage. James is the same age as Kate. What is the relationship between Kate and James? How does James relate to Helen? What part does James play in Helen's teaching and skill level? How does James help or hinder Annie's efforts?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)