|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is James?
2. Where was the departing point for the trip?
3. What date is marked out on the calendar?
4. The clock shows what time when James spies on Annie and Helen?
5. Who invented the alphabet taught to Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is a great deal of the focus placed on Helen's face?
2. What caused Annie's delay in arriving in Alabama?
3. Who recommends the oculist to Captain Keller? What is Keller's reaction to the suggestion that the doctor be contacted?
4. What does Captain Keller attribute Helen's behavior to at the table?
5. Percy is interested in learning how to play "the finger game" with Helen. How does Helen know that it is not Annie's hand? How does Helen react?
6. What is Kate's argument regarding the item Helen has thrown on the floor?
7. Why does Alexander Graham Bell refuse to help Helen?
8. How does Helen react when Annie touches her face? Why?
9. Why does Annie want to take Helen out of the Kellers' house? Where do they go?
10. After spending time in Annie's room, Helen storms out and locks the door, leaving Annie trapped. What is the purpose of the locked door?
Essay Topic 1
One of Annie's biggest battles has to do with defeat. Annie will not admit defeat. Annie says that she will never give up, while James says that sometimes there are no other options and that defeat does exist. What makes Annie so determined to make a breakthrough with Helen? Is it because of pride, belief in herself and/or Helen or something else? How does Annie's perseverance help and hinder her work with Helen and the Kellers? What might Annie have done differently?
Essay Topic 2
Upon meeting Kate Keller, Annie said that she intended to teach Helen half of what an ordinary child might know. What was Kate's response and what was the conversation to follow? Whose opinion was correct in the end?
Essay Topic 3
Under the surface, Annie and Helen are quite a lot alike. Compare and contrast the personalities of each. Do the two complement each other? Explain.
This section contains 1,435 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)