|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is quickly learned that Helen does not have what?
2. What is unusual about Anne's glasses?
3. In what geometric pattern is the stage set?
4. How old is the chosen helper?
5. What is the name of the Negro boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Many scenes take place around the dining room table. What is the purpose of using this set?
2. What does Annie claim is her biggest problem in regards to Helen's behavior?
3. After spending time in Annie's room, Helen storms out and locks the door, leaving Annie trapped. What is the purpose of the locked door?
4. Why do you think the play opened with Dr. Howe examining Helen?
5. Why is Annie hesitant to take her first paycheck from Captain Keller?
6. What starts the battle in the dining room? How do the Kellers react?
7. Who recommends the oculist to Captain Keller? What is Keller's reaction to the suggestion that the doctor be contacted?
8. Why do you think the focus in the beginning comes from Helen as she stares out of her crib?
9. Annie tells Kate that blindness and deafness are not Helen's worst handicaps. What are the real handicaps?
10. Why is there an argument over Helen at the dinner table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a highly effective method of using lighting on stage as well as in television. Cite at least three examples of how lighting was used as foreshadowing and how that knowledge affected the reader/viewer's perceptions.
Essay Topic 2
Several times throughout the story, Annie separates Helen from Kate. Why? What kind of influence did Kate have on Helen? On Annie? Was Kate's influence more or less important or powerful that that of Captain Keller? What point did Annie prove by taking Helen to the garden house? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discipline was non-existent when it came to Helen. Why didn't the Kellers punish Helen for her unruly behavior? What was the common response to Helen's antics? How did Annie immediately change that aspect of the Kellers' household? What was the first step in changing Helen's behavior?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)