|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Helen's doctor?
2. Annie uses a dictionary to write out what word?
3. What item(s) does the older gentleman hold in his hands?
4. What object is used to teach Helen to write?
5. The clock shows what time when James spies on Annie and Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who recommends the oculist to Captain Keller? What is Keller's reaction to the suggestion that the doctor be contacted?
2. What is Kate's argument regarding the item Helen has thrown on the floor?
3. What starts the battle in the dining room? How do the Kellers react?
4. What does Annie claim is her biggest problem in regards to Helen's behavior?
5. What happens after Helen speaks?
6. Why do you think the focus in the beginning comes from Helen as she stares out of her crib?
7. How does the author describe Helen? Does Helen's physical appearance give any signs to her infirmities?
8. One of the most powerful scenes in the play is the interaction with the water pump. Why is this scene/set so important?
9. Annie tells Kate Keller that she has three advantages over Dr. Howe when it comes to teaching Helen. What are they?
10. What is the purpose of letting Helen play with the beads and string?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the teleplay, Annie, Kate and Helen go to the Perkins Institute. Why did they make the trip? What was the plan once the trio arrived? Was the plan carried out? How did Anagnos respond to Helen, Annie, and Kate? What was Helen's opinion of the school and the Blind Girls? Where would Helen go next?
Essay Topic 2
The most exciting and telling scene in the teleplay is the one involving Annie and Helen at the pump. Explore this scene. What took place between Annie and Helen during those moments? What made it obvious that Helen had experienced a real breakthrough, not only in language but in the relationship with Annie? How did the scene affect the Kellers?
Essay Topic 3
Several times throughout the story, Annie separates Helen from Kate. Why? What kind of influence did Kate have on Helen? On Annie? Was Kate's influence more or less important or powerful that that of Captain Keller? What point did Annie prove by taking Helen to the garden house? Explain.
This section contains 1,441 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)