|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the gift presented by the doctor?
2. What is the helper's expression when met for the first time?
3. What word best describes the set James is viewing?
4. Helen uses what object to try and hit Anne?
5. What does Mr. Keller bring for Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annie keep Helen from returning to Kate the minute they return to the house?
2. How does Helen react when Annie touches her face? Why?
3. Several scenes are focused on letters written to various characters. Early on, Keller writes to Dr. Chisholm, who refers Keller to Alexander Graham Bell. What is the purpose of showing the exchanging of letters?
4. What starts the battle in the dining room? How do the Kellers react?
5. Why does Annie become so furious at the Kellers' suggestions for treating Helen? What is Annie's method for teaching Helen in this case?
6. What does Annie claim is her biggest problem in regards to Helen's behavior?
7. How do you think Annie's letters affected the set(s)?
8. Why do you think the play opened with Dr. Howe examining Helen?
9. What is the purpose of dividing the stage into quadrants?
10. Why is there an argument over Helen at the dinner table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Keller says that teaching Helen is like talking to a fence post. Annie disagrees and explains how she intends to teach Helen. What does Helen say? Is Mr. Keller being mean or realistic? How does Kate react? Does Helen know about their doubts? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
James Keller is Captain Keller's son by his first marriage. James is the same age as Kate. What is the relationship between Kate and James? How does James relate to Helen? What part does James play in Helen's teaching and skill level? How does James help or hinder Annie's efforts?
Essay Topic 3
Several months later, the reader/viewer is witness to Helen and the family preparing for Christmas. Helen is shown writing. What tool has Annie employed to help Helen to write? How would Helen be able to learn to write so quickly? What does Helen do with this new found skill? How does Annie react to Helen's progress?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)