|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the helper's title be?
2. What does Mr. Keller bring for Helen?
3. Who/what is the focus of attention for the characters?
4. To whom is Keller referred?
5. What is unusual about Anne's glasses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the focus in the beginning comes from Helen as she stares out of her crib?
2. What is the purpose of dividing the stage into quadrants?
3. What is one of the main concerns of Anagnos regarding Annie Sullivan's position as governess with the Kellers?
4. How does the author describe Helen? Does Helen's physical appearance give any signs to her infirmities?
5. What is the significance of the sewing card? How does Helen show that she wants to do it on her own?
6. Why is there an argument over Helen at the dinner table?
7. Why is Captain Keller surprised by James' reaction to Annie's outburst?
8. What starts the battle in the dining room? How do the Kellers react?
9. Annie tells Kate Keller that she has three advantages over Dr. Howe when it comes to teaching Helen. What are they?
10. According to Annie the Perkins Institute helped her recover not only from blindness but from what other issue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a highly effective method of using lighting on stage as well as in television. Cite at least three examples of how lighting was used as foreshadowing and how that knowledge affected the reader/viewer's perceptions.
Essay Topic 2
The scenes at the dinner table caused the most friction between Annie and Captain Keller. What did Captain Keller plan to do about Annie's disrespect? How did the Captain feel when James took Annie's side? What might have happened if Annie had given in to Captain Keller and permitted Helen to run wild like she did before?
Essay Topic 3
Discipline was non-existent when it came to Helen. Why didn't the Kellers punish Helen for her unruly behavior? What was the common response to Helen's antics? How did Annie immediately change that aspect of the Kellers' household? What was the first step in changing Helen's behavior?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)