|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Keller's title?
2. What is unusual about Anne's glasses?
3. What animal does Helen imitate?
4. Kate is the first to notice that the baby is ______________.
5. What is the front left area left open for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annie become so furious at the Kellers' suggestions for treating Helen? What is Annie's method for teaching Helen in this case?
2. What is the purpose of dividing the stage into quadrants?
3. What is the purpose of letting Helen play with the beads and string?
4. Several scenes are focused on letters written to various characters. Early on, Keller writes to Dr. Chisholm, who refers Keller to Alexander Graham Bell. What is the purpose of showing the exchanging of letters?
5. What is the incident between Helen and Martha on the porch? How could the incident have been prevented?
6. What might have happened to Helen if Annie had not taken the job?
7. Why do you think the focus in the beginning comes from Helen as she stares out of her crib?
8. Why is Captain Keller surprised by James' reaction to Annie's outburst?
9. One of the most powerful scenes in the play is the interaction with the water pump. Why is this scene/set so important?
10. Many scenes take place around the dining room table. What is the purpose of using this set?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The most exciting and telling scene in the teleplay is the one involving Annie and Helen at the pump. Explore this scene. What took place between Annie and Helen during those moments? What made it obvious that Helen had experienced a real breakthrough, not only in language but in the relationship with Annie? How did the scene affect the Kellers?
Essay Topic 2
James happened to see Annie at a vulnerable moment after her battle with Helen. Why did James feel ashamed? Did James' opinion of Annie change? Explain. How did James react when Annie told him about her history and nightmares? How did this exchange affect their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
The scene at the water pump was a breakthrough in Annie's teaching. Explain the scene and how it affected Helen. What was the immediate result of the breakthrough? Examine how that one incident was responsible for Helen's ultimate success.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)