|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kate is the first to notice that the baby is ______________.
2. What is the helper's expression when met for the first time?
3. What item is featured first on the set?
4. How old is Mr. Keller?
5. What object does Anne use to begin to teach Helen to spell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Helen speaks?
2. Annie does not intend to tell the Kellers about her history. What is Anagnos' advice on the matter?
3. What is the purpose of letting Helen play with the beads and string?
4. How does the author describe Helen? Does Helen's physical appearance give any signs to her infirmities?
5. How do the Kellers realize that Helen is blind and deaf?
6. Several scenes are focused on letters written to various characters. Early on, Keller writes to Dr. Chisholm, who refers Keller to Alexander Graham Bell. What is the purpose of showing the exchanging of letters?
7. What is Helen's reaction to going to bed on the first night at the garden house? How does Annie deal with the situation?
8. Why does Annie insist that Helen refill the water pitcher instead of allowing the servants to do it?
9. According to Annie, what makes a person human?
10. The setting often requires focusing in closely on the faces of the characters. Why is it important to show Martha's mouth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The scenes at the dinner table caused the most friction between Annie and Captain Keller. What did Captain Keller plan to do about Annie's disrespect? How did the Captain feel when James took Annie's side? What might have happened if Annie had given in to Captain Keller and permitted Helen to run wild like she did before?
Essay Topic 2
The scene at the water pump was a breakthrough in Annie's teaching. Explain the scene and how it affected Helen. What was the immediate result of the breakthrough? Examine how that one incident was responsible for Helen's ultimate success.
Essay Topic 3
There is a highly effective method of using lighting on stage as well as in television. Cite at least three examples of how lighting was used as foreshadowing and how that knowledge affected the reader/viewer's perceptions.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)