|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is quickly learned that Helen does not have what?
2. What will the helper's title be?
3. What item does Helen continue to throw on the floor?
4. What exterior object is not shown in relation to Anne Sullivan?
5. How will the helper get to the Keller house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annie keep Helen from returning to Kate the minute they return to the house?
2. Percy is interested in learning how to play "the finger game" with Helen. How does Helen know that it is not Annie's hand? How does Helen react?
3. After spending time in Annie's room, Helen storms out and locks the door, leaving Annie trapped. What is the purpose of the locked door?
4. Many scenes take place around the dining room table. What is the purpose of using this set?
5. How does Helen react to the incident at the pump?
6. How does Helen react when Annie touches her face? Why?
7. Several scenes are focused on letters written to various characters. Early on, Keller writes to Dr. Chisholm, who refers Keller to Alexander Graham Bell. What is the purpose of showing the exchanging of letters?
8. What is the purpose of dividing the stage into quadrants?
9. What is Helen's reaction to going to bed on the first night at the garden house? How does Annie deal with the situation?
10. What was James' purpose in choosing that particular Bible verse for grace? Why did Aunt Ev object?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The scenes at the dinner table caused the most friction between Annie and Captain Keller. What did Captain Keller plan to do about Annie's disrespect? How did the Captain feel when James took Annie's side? What might have happened if Annie had given in to Captain Keller and permitted Helen to run wild like she did before?
Essay Topic 2
The most exciting and telling scene in the teleplay is the one involving Annie and Helen at the pump. Explore this scene. What took place between Annie and Helen during those moments? What made it obvious that Helen had experienced a real breakthrough, not only in language but in the relationship with Annie? How did the scene affect the Kellers?
Essay Topic 3
One of Annie's biggest battles has to do with defeat. Annie will not admit defeat. Annie says that she will never give up, while James says that sometimes there are no other options and that defeat does exist. What makes Annie so determined to make a breakthrough with Helen? Is it because of pride, belief in herself and/or Helen or something else? How does Annie's perseverance help and hinder her work with Helen and the Kellers? What might Annie have done differently?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)