|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the present from the Blind Girls?
2. What object is a common item used on set?
3. Where was the departing point for the trip?
4. What type of dog belongs to the family?
5. What does Mr. Keller bring for Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Helen's reaction to going to bed on the first night at the garden house? How does Annie deal with the situation?
2. Annie and Helen spend a long time in the dining room in a battle of wills. What does Annie manage to teach Helen?
3. Why does Annie keep Helen from returning to Kate the minute they return to the house?
4. Why do you think the play opened with Dr. Howe examining Helen?
5. What happens after Helen speaks?
6. Why do you think the focus in the beginning comes from Helen as she stares out of her crib?
7. What is the incident between Helen and Martha on the porch? How could the incident have been prevented?
8. What do Annie and Helen do once they are at the water pump?
9. The setting often requires focusing in closely on the faces of the characters. Why is it important to show Martha's mouth?
10. What might have happened to Helen if Annie had not taken the job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The scene at the water pump was a breakthrough in Annie's teaching. Explain the scene and how it affected Helen. What was the immediate result of the breakthrough? Examine how that one incident was responsible for Helen's ultimate success.
Essay Topic 2
James happened to see Annie at a vulnerable moment after her battle with Helen. Why did James feel ashamed? Did James' opinion of Annie change? Explain. How did James react when Annie told him about her history and nightmares? How did this exchange affect their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Upon meeting Kate Keller, Annie said that she intended to teach Helen half of what an ordinary child might know. What was Kate's response and what was the conversation to follow? Whose opinion was correct in the end?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)