|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prop is often used as a metaphor for emotional separation of the characters?
2. How many operations did Annie have?
3. Where was the departing point for the trip?
4. What is the second word Helen learns?
5. The doctor advises the helper to be _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of letting Helen play with the beads and string?
2. Why is Captain Keller surprised by James' reaction to Annie's outburst?
3. Why does Alexander Graham Bell refuse to help Helen?
4. According to Annie the Perkins Institute helped her recover not only from blindness but from what other issue?
5. What starts the battle in the dining room? How do the Kellers react?
6. What is Helen's reaction to going to bed on the first night at the garden house? How does Annie deal with the situation?
7. What is Kate's reason for not disciplining Helen?
8. Annie and Helen spend a long time in the dining room in a battle of wills. What does Annie manage to teach Helen?
9. Martha gives scissors to Helen as the children cut out paper dolls on the porch. Why would Martha do that and what is Helen's reaction?
10. Why does Annie want to take Helen out of the Kellers' house? Where do they go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The scene at the water pump was a breakthrough in Annie's teaching. Explain the scene and how it affected Helen. What was the immediate result of the breakthrough? Examine how that one incident was responsible for Helen's ultimate success.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the teleplay, Annie, Kate and Helen go to the Perkins Institute. Why did they make the trip? What was the plan once the trio arrived? Was the plan carried out? How did Anagnos respond to Helen, Annie, and Kate? What was Helen's opinion of the school and the Blind Girls? Where would Helen go next?
Essay Topic 3
Annie took Helen to Boston with the intention of introducing Helen to the Institute as well as to the Blind Girls and Mr. Anagnos. Do you think Annie, Kate or Mr. Keller intended to enroll Helen at the Institute? If so, why didn't Helen stay? How did the girls and Anagnos relate to Helen? What was Helen's opinion on the place and people?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)