|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The clock shows what time when James spies on Annie and Helen?
2. What item(s) does the older gentleman hold in his hands?
3. Where is Annie hit?
4. Who is James?
5. What is the name of the Negro boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Helen makes several attempts to get attention from each member of the family. What does she do to get attention and what are the results?
2. Annie does not intend to tell the Kellers about her history. What is Anagnos' advice on the matter?
3. What might have happened to Helen if Annie had not taken the job?
4. Percy is interested in learning how to play "the finger game" with Helen. How does Helen know that it is not Annie's hand? How does Helen react?
5. What is the incident between Helen and Martha on the porch? How could the incident have been prevented?
6. Why does James feel ashamed at seeing the activity in the garden house?
7. Who recommends the oculist to Captain Keller? What is Keller's reaction to the suggestion that the doctor be contacted?
8. The sets often include the presence of Belle, the family's setter. What is the purpose of including the dog?
9. In the scene in the garden with Captain Keller, Helen is the focus while there is a lot of action in the background. What is the purpose of this arrangement?
10. The setting often requires focusing in closely on the faces of the characters. Why is it important to show Martha's mouth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times throughout the story, Annie separates Helen from Kate. Why? What kind of influence did Kate have on Helen? On Annie? Was Kate's influence more or less important or powerful that that of Captain Keller? What point did Annie prove by taking Helen to the garden house? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
James happened to see Annie at a vulnerable moment after her battle with Helen. Why did James feel ashamed? Did James' opinion of Annie change? Explain. How did James react when Annie told him about her history and nightmares? How did this exchange affect their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
After the incident at the water pump, a new bond forms between Annie and Helen. How does Helen react when Annie touches her face? Why? Does this move create a rift in the student/teacher relationship? How does Annie handle the next steps with Helen and the Kellers?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)