Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the Perkins Institute introduced into the set?
2. It is quickly learned that Helen does not have what?
3. What body part is often the main focus for the audience?
4. What accent is used by the characters?
5. A minimal set allows for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important that Annie lets Helen into her bedroom?
2. What is the significance of the sewing card? How does Helen show that she wants to do it on her own?
3. Several scenes are focused on letters written to various characters. Early on, Keller writes to Dr. Chisholm, who refers Keller to Alexander Graham Bell. What is the purpose of showing the exchanging of letters?
4. Why is Annie hesitant to take her first paycheck from Captain Keller?
5. What might have happened to Helen if Annie had not taken the job?
6. One of the most powerful scenes in the play is the interaction with the water pump. Why is this scene/set so important?
7. After spending time in Annie's room, Helen storms out and locks the door, leaving Annie trapped. What is the purpose of the locked door?
8. According to Annie the Perkins Institute helped her recover not only from blindness but from what other issue?
9. Why does Annie insist that Helen refill the water pitcher instead of allowing the servants to do it?
10. What is Kate's reason for not disciplining Helen?
Annie moved Helen out into the garden house so that they could be isolated from the rest of the family. What was the purpose in the move? What action did Annie take previously to confuse Helen? Did the plan work? How did Kate react?
Several times throughout the story, Annie separates Helen from Kate. Why? What kind of influence did Kate have on Helen? On Annie? Was Kate's influence more or less important or powerful that that of Captain Keller? What point did Annie prove by taking Helen to the garden house? Explain.
Several months later, the reader/viewer is witness to Helen and the family preparing for Christmas. Helen is shown writing. What tool has Annie employed to help Helen to write? How would Helen be able to learn to write so quickly? What does Helen do with this new found skill? How does Annie react to Helen's progress?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)