|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the Perkins Institute introduced into the set?
(a) By a doctor's visit
(c) With a letter
(d) With a phone call
2. It is quickly learned that Helen does not have what?
(b) Sense of humor
3. What body part is often the main focus for the audience?
4. What accent is used by the characters?
5. A minimal set allows for what?
(a) Lazy set designers
(b) Audience's imagination
(c) Easy transport
(d) Freedom of movement
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first word taught to Helen?
2. Who greets the helper upon her arrival?
3. What item does Kate bring to Annie and Helen's place?
4. Which character is often in the foreground while others go about their actions in the periphery?
5. What time of day does the play open?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important that Annie lets Helen into her bedroom?
2. What is the significance of the sewing card? How does Helen show that she wants to do it on her own?
3. Several scenes are focused on letters written to various characters. Early on, Keller writes to Dr. Chisholm, who refers Keller to Alexander Graham Bell. What is the purpose of showing the exchanging of letters?
4. Why is Annie hesitant to take her first paycheck from Captain Keller?
5. What might have happened to Helen if Annie had not taken the job?
6. One of the most powerful scenes in the play is the interaction with the water pump. Why is this scene/set so important?
7. After spending time in Annie's room, Helen storms out and locks the door, leaving Annie trapped. What is the purpose of the locked door?
8. According to Annie the Perkins Institute helped her recover not only from blindness but from what other issue?
9. Why does Annie insist that Helen refill the water pitcher instead of allowing the servants to do it?
10. What is Kate's reason for not disciplining Helen?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)