Short Essay Questions Key
1. What is the purpose of dividing the stage into quadrants?
It makes it easier to separate scenes and time periods, as if each were a different set.
2. How do you think Annie's letters affected the set(s)?
Annie's letters helped the sets to be more accurate and realistic.
3. Why do you think the play opened with Dr. Howe examining Helen?
It was a key point to know that Helen had suffered from a devastating illness as a baby.
4. Why is a great deal of the focus placed on Helen's face?
Because of her inability to speak, hear, or see, facial expression is the only way Helen can effectively communicate at this point.
5. Why do you think the focus in the beginning comes from Helen as she stares out of her crib?
It is important to see Helen's point of view, even as she is going blind.
This section contains 2,465 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)