|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is named Chairman of the Committee of Style and Arrangement?
2. Why is merchant Jonas Phillips opposed to a test oath for government officers?
3. Why is a permanent location for the new government more important than it is for the old government?
4. Oliver Ellsworth argues that which state should ratify the Constitution or risk being overtaken by New York?
5. In the events presented in Chapter 18, what patriotic measure does George Mason introduce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are test oaths an issue for the delegates?
2. Why does Franklin argue that delegates approve the Constitution even if they have objections?
3. What are the differences between living conditions along the Atlantic coastline and in the interior country or back land?
4. Why do the delegates vote against adding the Bill of Rights to the Constitution?
5. Why is slavery an issue at the Convention?
6. How are George Washington and James Wilson connected to the Western Territories?
7. Why is ratification an important issue?
8. Why aren't the delegates upset by the idea of a monarchy as a form of government?
9. What arguments do the Anti-federalists use in their opposition to the Constitution?
10. What is the difference between the British and American views of the farmer during the eighteenth century?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Virginia Plan and the New Jersey Plan are both proposed during the Convention discussion. Discuss how each of these treats the issue of representation, and compare their proposed solutions to the plan for representation presented in the final Constitution.
Essay Topic 2
Some of the delegates to the Convention are well-known figures from American history. Other delegates, however, are less well-known. Choose three of the delegates listed below and write an essay that presents their contributions to the Convention discussions and the final Constitution.
Essay Topic 3
Some people say that money makes the world go around. Write a well-crafted essay that details how economics and finance, including issues of trade and commerce, impact the Convention and the final Constitution.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)