|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does their father's death affect Maggie and Tom's relationship?
2. What does Mr. Tulliver plan to do once the debts are paid?
3. Why does Philip continue to visit the Red Deeps?
4. Why does Maggie resolve never to see Philip again?
5. Why does Maggie criticize the book, Corinne, which Philip brings to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Maggie is a child, the adults around her worry about her future. Why do they worry so much about her? What is their main concern? Support your answer with details from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Pick a passage from The Mill on the Floss. Then write an essay in which you analyze its tone. In your analysis, try to determine what the narrator is trying to communicate subtly, with her tone, in addition to the message that she communicates overtly, using words.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the family members in The Mill on the Floss criticize each other so much? Is their criticism a way of hiding an underlying affection? Or is the criticism more sincere? Take a position on this point and defend it using examples from The Mill on the Floss.
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)