Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Uncle Deane tell Tom that he does well not to tell people how old he is?
2. What is George Eliot trying to communicate with the title, "The Torn Nest is Pierced by the Thorns"?
3. Why does Maggie have nightmares while she sleeps on the boat with Stephen?
4. Why does Maggie criticize the book, Corinne, which Philip brings to her?
5. What clue does George Eliot give us to indicate that Stephen Guest is married at the end of the book?
Who do you think is more forgiving, Maggie or Tom? Support your answer with details from The Mill on the Floss.
When Maggie is a child, the adults around her worry about her future. Why do they worry so much about her? What is their main concern? Support your answer with details from the novel.
Pick a passage from The Mill on the Floss. Then write an essay in which you analyze its tone. In your analysis, try to determine what the narrator is trying to communicate subtly, with her tone, in addition to the message that she communicates overtly, using words.
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)