|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the job working for Dr. Kenn become a problem?
2. What reason does Maggie give Lucy for not being tired the night after she meets Stephen?
3. Where does Maggie go to live after she returns home from the boat trip with Stephen?
4. How does Lucy's plan to intervene with Tom on Maggie's behalf backfire?
5. How does Maggie try to stem her loneliness while she is living at home and nursing her father back to health?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a passage from The Mill on the Floss. Then write an essay in which you analyze its tone. In your analysis, try to determine what the narrator is trying to communicate subtly, with her tone, in addition to the message that she communicates overtly, using words.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Maggie find the ascetic life described by Thomas a Kempis to be so appealing in the years after her family goes bankrupt? Philip Wakem says that she is not really compelled by the ascetic ideal, but that she is stupefying herself into accepting it. Do you think he is correct? Compare the words of Thomas a Kempis with the life that Maggie already is living. Is there a parallel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who do you think is more forgiving, Maggie or Tom? Support your answer with details from The Mill on the Floss.
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)