Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Uncle Deane tell Tom that he does well not to tell people how old he is?
2. What is George Eliot trying to communicate with the title, "The Torn Nest is Pierced by the Thorns"?
3. Why does Maggie have nightmares while she sleeps on the boat with Stephen?
4. Why does Maggie criticize the book, Corinne, which Philip brings to her?
5. What clue does George Eliot give us to indicate that Stephen Guest is married at the end of the book?
Write a paper analyzing the plot development in The Mill on the Floss. What do you feel is the climax of the plot? How does Eliot build tension prior to that point? How does she wind the book down after the climax?
Who do you think is more forgiving, Maggie or Tom? Support your answer with details from The Mill on the Floss.
The reader first glimpses the narrator in Chapter One, when the narrator uses the word "I" and talks about having dozed off dreaming about the mill and about the afternoon when the Tullivers have their discussion (the discussion that is then related in Chapter Two). Who do you think the narrator is? Why does the narrator choose to tell this story?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)