|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Maggie and Stephen react to their growing interest in each other?
2. How does Philip shake Maggie's resolve never to see him again?
3. What reason does Maggie give Lucy for not being tired the night after she meets Stephen?
4. How does Tom come up with capital to finance his venture with Bob?
5. What happens once Maggie and Stephen reach land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the legal issues that are raised during The Mill on the Floss. Then analyze Mr. Tulliver's legal problems. In your opinion, is Mr. Tulliver in the right? Why or why not? Use evidence from the book and from your own research to support your view.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Book Three, Mr. Tulliver insists on having Tom write in the Bible that Mr. Tulliver never wants to work for Wakem and that although he serves him honestly, he wishes evil befalls him. Why do you think that Mr. Tulliver wants to have these words written in the Bible? Why does the family find it so shocking that he writes these words in the Bible? Support your answer with details from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Pick a passage from The Mill on the Floss. Then write an essay in which you analyze its tone. In your analysis, try to determine what the narrator is trying to communicate subtly, with her tone, in addition to the message that she communicates overtly, using words.
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)