|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Philip want to ask Maggie to marry him right away?
2. What does Mr. Tulliver do when he happens to run into Mr. Wakem after he pays off his other creditors?
3. What does Tom want to do to make more money?
4. Why does Maggie have nightmares while she sleeps on the boat with Stephen?
5. How does Philip shake Maggie's resolve never to see him again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Siblings often do not get along. In your opinion, is the relationship between Maggie and Tom typical of siblings, or do they have a stormier relationship than most? Analyze Maggie and Tom's relationship, arguing that it is or is not typical.
Essay Topic 2
How does Maggie's childhood relationship with Tom foreshadow the relationship she has with him as an adult? Compare Tom's tendency to alternately indulge and shame Maggie as a child with the way he treats her as an adult, when he interferes in her relationships with men. Support your answer with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is George Eliot's purpose in writing The Mill on the Floss? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)