|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Tulliver do when he happens to run into Mr. Wakem after he pays off his other creditors?
2. How does Maggie's Aunt Glegg react to the news that Maggie comes home?
3. What reason does Maggie give Lucy for not being tired the night after she meets Stephen?
4. How do we know that Tom is a very able employee?
5. Who frequently visits Tom's and Maggie's grave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Book Three, Mr. Tulliver insists on having Tom write in the Bible that Mr. Tulliver never wants to work for Wakem and that although he serves him honestly, he wishes evil befalls him. Why do you think that Mr. Tulliver wants to have these words written in the Bible? Why does the family find it so shocking that he writes these words in the Bible? Support your answer with details from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How does Maggie's childhood relationship with Tom foreshadow the relationship she has with him as an adult? Compare Tom's tendency to alternately indulge and shame Maggie as a child with the way he treats her as an adult, when he interferes in her relationships with men. Support your answer with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper analyzing the plot development in The Mill on the Floss. What do you feel is the climax of the plot? How does Eliot build tension prior to that point? How does she wind the book down after the climax?
This section contains 1,484 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)