|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When they finally meet again, what tool does Philip use to try to remind Maggie of their love for each other?
2. What does Mr. Tulliver plan to do once the debts are paid?
3. Who does Maggie finally confide in about her feelings for Stephen?
4. Why does Maggie resolve never to see Philip again?
5. Since Maggie comes back unmarried, how does the narrator say that public opinion regards Maggie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Maggie's childhood relationship with Tom foreshadow the relationship she has with him as an adult? Compare Tom's tendency to alternately indulge and shame Maggie as a child with the way he treats her as an adult, when he interferes in her relationships with men. Support your answer with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Who do you think is more forgiving, Maggie or Tom? Support your answer with details from The Mill on the Floss.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is George Eliot's purpose in writing The Mill on the Floss? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)