|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lucy have a confidential conversation with her father the same evening that Philip first comes to visit?
2. How does Stephen offend Maggie at the dance?
3. What do Tom and Maggie both fear when Tom announces to his father that he is able to pay the debts?
4. What do the aunts and uncles think of Tom, now that he grows up?
5. What happens to Bob's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think that Maggie choses to marry neither Philip Wakem nor Stephen Guest? Explain what Maggie is thinking and why she wants to remain single. Use examples from The Mill on the Floss to support your point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Maggie find the ascetic life described by Thomas a Kempis to be so appealing in the years after her family goes bankrupt? Philip Wakem says that she is not really compelled by the ascetic ideal, but that she is stupefying herself into accepting it. Do you think he is correct? Compare the words of Thomas a Kempis with the life that Maggie already is living. Is there a parallel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Maggie's childhood relationship with Tom foreshadow the relationship she has with him as an adult? Compare Tom's tendency to alternately indulge and shame Maggie as a child with the way he treats her as an adult, when he interferes in her relationships with men. Support your answer with examples from the novel.
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)