|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maggie have nightmares while she sleeps on the boat with Stephen?
2. Why is Maggie admitted to society and invited to social events that are thought to be above her station?
3. What is George Eliot trying to communicate with the title, "The Torn Nest is Pierced by the Thorns"?
4. What happens to Bob's house?
5. Who frequently visits Tom's and Maggie's grave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the legal issues that are raised during The Mill on the Floss. Then analyze Mr. Tulliver's legal problems. In your opinion, is Mr. Tulliver in the right? Why or why not? Use evidence from the book and from your own research to support your view.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of loss in the The Mill on the Floss. The narrator's history of St. Ogg's indicates that floods are not unusual, and that often floods sweep away everything in their path. The townspeople, then, must have some history of dealing with loss. When else does the topic of loss come up? Explain how this theme is developed in the course of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the motif of flooding in the novel. How do the early references to flooding foreshadow the flood at the end of the book? Do the references to floods refer to something other than physical floods? Is there a connection between flooding in The Mill on the Floss and the emotional transformations of the characters from the start of the book to the end? Why or why not? Support your answer with details from the book.
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)