Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Uncle Deane tell Tom that he does well not to tell people how old he is?
2. What is George Eliot trying to communicate with the title, "The Torn Nest is Pierced by the Thorns"?
3. Why does Maggie have nightmares while she sleeps on the boat with Stephen?
4. Why does Maggie criticize the book, Corinne, which Philip brings to her?
5. What clue does George Eliot give us to indicate that Stephen Guest is married at the end of the book?
How does Maggie's childhood relationship with Tom foreshadow the relationship she has with him as an adult? Compare Tom's tendency to alternately indulge and shame Maggie as a child with the way he treats her as an adult, when he interferes in her relationships with men. Support your answer with examples from the novel.
When Maggie is a child, the adults around her worry about her future. Why do they worry so much about her? What is their main concern? Support your answer with details from the novel.
To whom do a young person living in the village of St. Ogg's turn, if he or she needs guidance? How does a young person who loses his or her parents, or whose parents are not very sensible, find guidance about life? Explain your answer.
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)