|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maggie have nightmares while she sleeps on the boat with Stephen?
2. Why does Maggie continue to see Philip when she does not believe she is ever able to marry him?
3. Why does Maggie pore over the pages of a book while she is waiting for Lucy to return?
4. How does Philip shake Maggie's resolve never to see him again?
5. Why does Lucy understand and forgive Maggie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think that Maggie is better off ending up with Philip, with Stephen, or with neither? Defend your perspective. Be sure to include evidence from The Mill on the Floss to support your case.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think is George Eliot's purpose in writing The Mill on the Floss? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of loss in the The Mill on the Floss. The narrator's history of St. Ogg's indicates that floods are not unusual, and that often floods sweep away everything in their path. The townspeople, then, must have some history of dealing with loss. When else does the topic of loss come up? Explain how this theme is developed in the course of the novel.
This section contains 1,543 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)