|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maggie criticize the book, Corinne, which Philip brings to her?
2. Why does Maggie pore over the pages of a book while she is waiting for Lucy to return?
3. When they finally meet again, what tool does Philip use to try to remind Maggie of their love for each other?
4. The last sentence of Book Six, Chapter 10 notes that Philip is not totally happy with Maggie's answer, and says that jealousy always longs for omniscience. What does the narrator mean by this?
5. What does Philip offer to do for Maggie if she sees him regularly while she is caring for her parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Maggie find the ascetic life described by Thomas a Kempis to be so appealing in the years after her family goes bankrupt? Philip Wakem says that she is not really compelled by the ascetic ideal, but that she is stupefying herself into accepting it. Do you think he is correct? Compare the words of Thomas a Kempis with the life that Maggie already is living. Is there a parallel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the motif of flooding in the novel. How do the early references to flooding foreshadow the flood at the end of the book? Do the references to floods refer to something other than physical floods? Is there a connection between flooding in The Mill on the Floss and the emotional transformations of the characters from the start of the book to the end? Why or why not? Support your answer with details from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does Maggie's childhood relationship with Tom foreshadow the relationship she has with him as an adult? Compare Tom's tendency to alternately indulge and shame Maggie as a child with the way he treats her as an adult, when he interferes in her relationships with men. Support your answer with examples from the novel.
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)