|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie tell Lucy is her reason for leaving St. Ogg's and taking another teaching job?
2. How does Tom react, at first, to Maggie's request that she is allowed to see Philip?
3. When they finally meet again, what tool does Philip use to try to remind Maggie of their love for each other?
4. When Stephen and Maggie end up in a boat alone together, who is supposed to be there instead of Stephen?
5. How does Bob try to cheer Maggie up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a passage from The Mill on the Floss. Then write an essay in which you analyze its tone. In your analysis, try to determine what the narrator is trying to communicate subtly, with her tone, in addition to the message that she communicates overtly, using words.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the motif of flooding in the novel. How do the early references to flooding foreshadow the flood at the end of the book? Do the references to floods refer to something other than physical floods? Is there a connection between flooding in The Mill on the Floss and the emotional transformations of the characters from the start of the book to the end? Why or why not? Support your answer with details from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Research the legal issues that are raised during The Mill on the Floss. Then analyze Mr. Tulliver's legal problems. In your opinion, is Mr. Tulliver in the right? Why or why not? Use evidence from the book and from your own research to support your view.
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)