|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maggie's plan for supporting herself when she returns to St. Ogg's?
2. What happens at the bazaar to make Stephen start to feel jealous?
3. Why is Maggie admitted to society and invited to social events that are thought to be above her station?
4. Why does Lucy have a confidential conversation with her father the same evening that Philip first comes to visit?
5. Who frequently visits Tom's and Maggie's grave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think is George Eliot's purpose in writing The Mill on the Floss? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think that Maggie choses to marry neither Philip Wakem nor Stephen Guest? Explain what Maggie is thinking and why she wants to remain single. Use examples from The Mill on the Floss to support your point of view.
Essay Topic 3
When Maggie is a child, the adults around her worry about her future. Why do they worry so much about her? What is their main concern? Support your answer with details from the novel.
This section contains 1,518 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)