Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Uncle Deane tell Tom that he does well not to tell people how old he is?
2. What is George Eliot trying to communicate with the title, "The Torn Nest is Pierced by the Thorns"?
3. Why does Maggie have nightmares while she sleeps on the boat with Stephen?
4. Why does Maggie criticize the book, Corinne, which Philip brings to her?
5. What clue does George Eliot give us to indicate that Stephen Guest is married at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 1
Do you think that Maggie is better off ending up with Philip, with Stephen, or with neither? Defend your perspective. Be sure to include evidence from The Mill on the Floss to support your case.
Essay Topic 2
Pick a passage from The Mill on the Floss. Then write an essay in which you analyze its tone. In your analysis, try to determine what the narrator is trying to communicate subtly, with her tone, in addition to the message that she communicates overtly, using words.
Essay Topic 3
When Maggie is a child, the adults around her worry about her future. Why do they worry so much about her? What is their main concern? Support your answer with details from the novel.
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)