|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Tulliver plan to do once the debts are paid?
2. How do Maggie and Stephen react to their growing interest in each other?
3. Why doesn't Philip want to ask Maggie to marry him right away?
4. What do the aunts and uncles think of Tom, now that he grows up?
5. When they finally meet again, what tool does Philip use to try to remind Maggie of their love for each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think is George Eliot's purpose in writing The Mill on the Floss? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper analyzing the plot development in The Mill on the Floss. What do you feel is the climax of the plot? How does Eliot build tension prior to that point? How does she wind the book down after the climax?
Essay Topic 3
To whom do a young person living in the village of St. Ogg's turn, if he or she needs guidance? How does a young person who loses his or her parents, or whose parents are not very sensible, find guidance about life? Explain your answer.
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)