|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom come up with capital to finance his venture with Bob?
2. How does Tom react when Maggie comes home?
3. Where has Tom wanted Maggie to live as long as she remains unmarried?
4. How does Tom react when he is offered a share in the business at Guest and Company?
5. What does Maggie tell Lucy is her reason for leaving St. Ogg's and taking another teaching job?
Essay Topic 1
Pick a passage from The Mill on the Floss. Then write an essay in which you analyze its tone. In your analysis, try to determine what the narrator is trying to communicate subtly, with her tone, in addition to the message that she communicates overtly, using words.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the motif of flooding in the novel. How do the early references to flooding foreshadow the flood at the end of the book? Do the references to floods refer to something other than physical floods? Is there a connection between flooding in The Mill on the Floss and the emotional transformations of the characters from the start of the book to the end? Why or why not? Support your answer with details from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the family members in The Mill on the Floss criticize each other so much? Is their criticism a way of hiding an underlying affection? Or is the criticism more sincere? Take a position on this point and defend it using examples from The Mill on the Floss.
This section contains 1,500 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)