|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie say that embarrasses Lucy, during Maggie's first meeting with Lucy and Stephen?
2. Why doesn't Philip want to ask Maggie to marry him right away?
3. What does Maggie say to Tom after they leave Philip?
4. Why does Lucy say that she rather not be engaged?
5. How does Tom react when Maggie comes home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think is George Eliot's purpose in writing The Mill on the Floss? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
When Maggie is a child, the adults around her worry about her future. Why do they worry so much about her? What is their main concern? Support your answer with details from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of loss in the The Mill on the Floss. The narrator's history of St. Ogg's indicates that floods are not unusual, and that often floods sweep away everything in their path. The townspeople, then, must have some history of dealing with loss. When else does the topic of loss come up? Explain how this theme is developed in the course of the novel.
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)