|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Tom and Maggie both fear when Tom announces to his father that he is able to pay the debts?
2. The last sentence of Book Six, Chapter 10 notes that Philip is not totally happy with Maggie's answer, and says that jealousy always longs for omniscience. What does the narrator mean by this?
3. How do Maggie and Stephen react to their growing interest in each other?
4. Why doesn't Philip want to ask Maggie to marry him right away?
5. Where has Tom wanted Maggie to live as long as she remains unmarried?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think is George Eliot's purpose in writing The Mill on the Floss? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper analyzing the plot development in The Mill on the Floss. What do you feel is the climax of the plot? How does Eliot build tension prior to that point? How does she wind the book down after the climax?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that Maggie is better off ending up with Philip, with Stephen, or with neither? Defend your perspective. Be sure to include evidence from The Mill on the Floss to support your case.
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)