|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom react, at first, to Maggie's request that she is allowed to see Philip?
2. Which of the following statements best foreshadows Maggie's death in the flood?
3. What do the aunts and uncles think of Tom, now that he grows up?
4. What is Stephen Guest's first reaction to hearing that Maggie is coming to visit her cousin Lucy?
5. What does Maggie tell Lucy is her reason for leaving St. Ogg's and taking another teaching job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who do you think is more forgiving, Maggie or Tom? Support your answer with details from The Mill on the Floss.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the motif of flooding in the novel. How do the early references to flooding foreshadow the flood at the end of the book? Do the references to floods refer to something other than physical floods? Is there a connection between flooding in The Mill on the Floss and the emotional transformations of the characters from the start of the book to the end? Why or why not? Support your answer with details from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Siblings often do not get along. In your opinion, is the relationship between Maggie and Tom typical of siblings, or do they have a stormier relationship than most? Analyze Maggie and Tom's relationship, arguing that it is or is not typical.
This section contains 1,549 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)