|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bob try to cheer Maggie up?
2. Why does Mr. Wakem talk to Maggie at the bazaar?
3. What does Mr. Tulliver do when he happens to run into Mr. Wakem after he pays off his other creditors?
4. How does Tom react, at first, to Maggie's request that she is allowed to see Philip?
5. Why doesn't Philip want to ask Maggie to marry him right away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Tom connects to the theme of generosity in The Mill on the Floss. How do other people treat Tom when he is in need of generosity? How does he treat others when the person in need is someone else, such as Maggie? Be sure to include examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think that Maggie is better off ending up with Philip, with Stephen, or with neither? Defend your perspective. Be sure to include evidence from The Mill on the Floss to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
To whom do a young person living in the village of St. Ogg's turn, if he or she needs guidance? How does a young person who loses his or her parents, or whose parents are not very sensible, find guidance about life? Explain your answer.
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)