|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Tom and Philip become closer again for a little while while Tom is recovering from his injury?
2. Who is Mr. Tulliver planning to send away to school?
3. Why does Philip and Tom's relationship become strained?
4. What does Maggie discover when she finds the gypsies?
5. Why does Maggie run away to live with the gypsies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maggie's childhood relationship with Tom.
2. What is Philip Wakem's reaction to meeting Tom?
3. What do you think horrifies Tom the most about Maggie meeting Philip, the fact that Philip is a hunchback, or that he is the son of Mr. Wakem? Why?
4. Why do you think that Bob and his wife choose to take Maggie in when she returns from her boat trip with Stephen?
5. Describe Maggie's character, based on her behavior during her childhood.
6. Why do you think that Maggie's mother and aunts pull together to help her upon her return from her boat trip with Stephen?
7. How does Maggie feel about Philip when she finally sees him again at her cousin Lucy's house?
8. Using the descriptions provided by their parents (Mr. and Mrs. Tulliver), compare and contrast the characters of Tom and Maggie.
9. Why do you think that Dr. Kenn offers Maggie a job as a governess when she returns from her boat trip with Stephen?
10. What conclusions do you draw about gender roles in the village of St. Ogg's based on Mr. Tulliver's conversation with Mr. Riley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Tom connects to the theme of generosity in The Mill on the Floss. How do other people treat Tom when he is in need of generosity? How does he treat others when the person in need is someone else, such as Maggie? Be sure to include examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the family members in The Mill on the Floss criticize each other so much? Is their criticism a way of hiding an underlying affection? Or is the criticism more sincere? Take a position on this point and defend it using examples from The Mill on the Floss.
Essay Topic 3
Siblings often do not get along. In your opinion, is the relationship between Maggie and Tom typical of siblings, or do they have a stormier relationship than most? Analyze Maggie and Tom's relationship, arguing that it is or is not typical.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)