|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do we know that Tom is a very able employee?
(a) He is earning a good income for his family.
(b) Tom says that he feels he is doing a good job.
(c) He is offered a share of the business at Guest and Company.
(d) Tom insists on continuing to invest money in entrepreneurial schemes.
2. How does Tom figure out that Maggie is secretly meeting Philip?
(a) He sees Maggie and Philip together.
(b) He sees her face when Aunt Pullet mentions seeing Philip leaving the Red Deep.
(c) He finds a letter that Maggie writes to Philip.
(d) He finds a book that Philip loans to Maggie.
3. What happens between Stephen and Maggie at the Mosses?
(a) They fight over Stephen's admission of love for Maggie.
(b) They admit that they love each other but will not be together.
(c) They refuse to admit that they love each other.
(d) They consider getting married.
4. Why do Philip and Maggie think that they cannot be together?
(a) They cannot afford to set up a household.
(b) The townspeople gossip about them.
(c) They do not really love each other that much.
(d) It upsets their families.
5. What happens at the bazaar to make Stephen start to feel jealous?
(a) He sees Lucy talking to other men of St. Ogg's.
(b) He notices that Maggie is careful not to look at him.
(c) He deduces that Mr. Wakem stops to see Maggie for a reason.
(d) He realizes that Maggie and Philip have some history together.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stephen contact Maggie after she returns home from their boat trip together?
2. Is Maggie still in love with Stephen as she travels home?
3. How does Lucy's plan to intervene with Tom on Maggie's behalf backfire?
4. What moment in the book does the narrator say is the most delicious of Tom's life?
5. Why does Maggie have nightmares while she sleeps on the boat with Stephen?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)