|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator think pubic opinion regards Maggie if she returns to St. Ogg's as Mrs. Stephen Guest?
(a) People scorn her.
(b) The community sympathizes with her.
(c) Gossips talk about her for weeks.
(d) Her family welcomes her back.
2. How do Maggie and Stephen react to their growing interest in each other?
(a) They spend as much time together as they can.
(b) They try to ignore each other and focus on Maggie.
(c) They start meeting secretly.
(d) They begin to write each other letters.
3. Why does Maggie pore over the pages of a book while she is waiting for Lucy to return?
(a) She wants to give the impression of only being interested in books.
(b) She is fascinated by the book and cannot put it down.
(c) It gives her something to do and she is feeling bored.
(d) It is a way to hide her face while she is crying.
4. What do Tom and Maggie both fear when Tom announces to his father that he is able to pay the debts?
(a) That Tom is tempted to tell his father about Maggie and Philip.
(b) That Mr. Tulliver refuses to let Tom do it.
(c) That something happens to stop Tom from doing it.
(d) That the shock gives Mr. Tulliver a relapse.
5. What does Maggie find the most difficult about living at home, in poverty?
(a) She likes to go out with other young women.
(b) Her father seems to have no spark of life anymore.
(c) Tom does not spend enough time with her now.
(d) She misses books and reading.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip offer to do for Maggie if she sees him regularly while she is caring for her parents?
2. How does Philip shake Maggie's resolve never to see him again?
3. Why doesn't Philip want to ask Maggie to marry him right away?
4. Where has Tom wanted Maggie to live as long as she remains unmarried?
5. What happens between Stephen and Maggie at the Mosses?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)