|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Maggie give Lucy for not being tired the night after she meets Stephen?
(a) She stays up to talk to Lucy.
(b) She is still tired from traveling to Lucy's home.
(c) She is still thinking of the music they enjoy.
(d) She is not used to going to bed so early.
2. What do Tom and Maggie both fear when Tom announces to his father that he is able to pay the debts?
(a) That Mr. Tulliver refuses to let Tom do it.
(b) That the shock gives Mr. Tulliver a relapse.
(c) That Tom is tempted to tell his father about Maggie and Philip.
(d) That something happens to stop Tom from doing it.
3. What clue does George Eliot give us to indicate that Stephen Guest is married at the end of the book?
(a) She tells the reader outright that Stephen is married.
(b) She has Stephen call out to his wife while they are visiting the tomb.
(c) She refers to Stephen's wife and children.
(d) She says that he visits the tomb later "with a sweet face beside him".
4. How does Lucy trick Stephen?
(a) She suggests that Maggie is much older than she really is.
(b) She implies that Maggie is blond and blue-eyed.
(c) She makes him think that Maggie takes after Mrs. Tulliver.
(d) She tells him that Maggie has not arrived yet.
5. When Stephen and Maggie end up in a boat alone together, who is supposed to be there instead of Stephen?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the aunts and uncles think that Maggie should not go back into service?
2. Why does Maggie resolve never to see Philip again?
3. How does Maggie try to stem her loneliness while she is living at home and nursing her father back to health?
4. Where does Maggie go to live after she returns home from the boat trip with Stephen?
5. What happens between Stephen and Maggie at the Mosses?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)