|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do we know that Tom is a very able employee?
(a) Tom says that he feels he is doing a good job.
(b) He is offered a share of the business at Guest and Company.
(c) Tom insists on continuing to invest money in entrepreneurial schemes.
(d) He is earning a good income for his family.
2. How does Maggie die at the end of the book?
(a) She is trying to leave St. Ogg's again in a boat, and it capsizes.
(b) She is buried when a house is knocked down in the storm and collapses on her.
(c) She is trying to rescue Tom from the flood and they both are swept away.
(d) She jumps into the floodwater and commits suicide.
3. When Philip asks Maggie if she still has feelings for him, what does she give as her reason why she cannot marry him?
(a) She loses her brother as a result.
(b) She upsets the memory of her dead father.
(c) She is planning to go away to a teaching job.
(d) She is falling in love with Stephen.
4. Why does Lucy understand and forgive Maggie?
(a) Maggie's mother checks on her every day.
(b) She forgives everyone.
(c) She reads Stephen's letter.
(d) Dr. Kenn counsels her to forgive.
5. Why does Maggie have nightmares while she sleeps on the boat with Stephen?
(a) She is concerned about all the people who must be worrying about her and Stephen.
(b) She fears that she ruins her life and that of her family members.
(c) She wonders whether anyone realizes that they drift too far down the river accidentally.
(d) She is afraid the boat overturns and she drowns.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Wakem talk to Maggie at the bazaar?
2. When Stephen and Maggie end up in a boat alone together, who is supposed to be there instead of Stephen?
3. Is Maggie still in love with Stephen as she travels home?
4. What does Philip argue with his father, Mr. Wakem, about?
5. Why doesn't Philip want to ask Maggie to marry him right away?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)