|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom force Maggie to stop seeing Philip?
(a) He sends Maggie away to another town.
(b) He threatens Philip with bodily harm if he sees Maggie again.
(c) He threatens to take away Maggie's books.
(d) He threatens to tell their father if she does not.
2. Why does Lucy have a confidential conversation with her father the same evening that Philip first comes to visit?
(a) She wants to warn him that Maggie and Philip may still love each other.
(b) She wants to distract Maggie from Stephen.
(c) She wants to ask him if there is any chance of buying the mill.
(d) She wants to buy the mill herself and have her family run it.
3. What happens to Bob's house?
(a) It burns to the ground.
(b) It is buried by a mudslide.
(c) It is destroyed in a flood.
(d) It is damaged by wind during a storm.
4. Why has Philip come to see Maggie?
(a) He wants to be friends.
(b) He has a message from his father.
(c) He wants to do something to help.
(d) He brings something for her family.
5. How does Mr. Tulliver look when he goes to meet his creditors and pay them?
(a) Emotionally overwrought, tearful, and hesitant.
(b) Sick, weakly, and feeble.
(c) Like his old self, strong and full of life.
(d) Lacking in confidence, unsure of himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Philip want to ask Maggie to marry him right away?
2. How does Tom react when he is offered a share in the business at Guest and Company?
3. When Stephen and Maggie end up in a boat alone together, who is supposed to be there instead of Stephen?
4. How does Tom figure out that Maggie is secretly meeting Philip?
5. When Philip asks Maggie if she still has feelings for him, what does she give as her reason why she cannot marry him?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)