|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens once Maggie and Stephen reach land?
(a) Maggie refuses to marry him and she leaves alone.
(b) They get married but quickly start to argue.
(c) Stephen has second thoughts and leaves Maggie.
(d) They choose not to marry but to live together in the city.
2. Why is Maggie admitted to society and invited to social events that are thought to be above her station?
(a) Maggie is assertive about making sure that she is included.
(b) Lucy and Stephen want her to be included, so others include her.
(c) Maggie's mother takes it upon herself to make sure that Maggie is included.
(d) Lucy personally asks her friends to invite Maggie to events.
3. What is Maggie most afraid that her father does, while he is recovering from his accident?
(a) Go into a rage and beat her mother.
(b) Quit his job at the mill.
(c) Become depressed and commit suicide.
(d) Give up all he has left in some scheme to go back to the way things are.
4. What is Maggie's one indulgence during the period when she is nursing her father back to health?
(a) Fresh fruit.
(b) The newspaper.
(c) The company of friends.
(d) Her daily walk.
5. Why does Lucy say that she rather not be engaged?
(a) She fears that her family does not approve of Stephen.
(b) She does not like Stephen that well.
(c) She likes to skip the engagement and just get married.
(d) Being engaged means you get married soon.
6. Why does Lucy think that Tom changes his mind about Philip Wakem?
(a) Philip wants to do the honorable thing and marry Maggie.
(b) Philip intervenes with his father about the mill.
(c) Philip's father agrees to a marriage between Philip and Maggie.
(d) Philip deserves pity because he has a hunchback.
7. What idea occurs to Stephen once he is alone in the boat with Maggie?
(a) He wants to travel far away and get married.
(b) He wants to take a long boat trip and then return.
(c) He wants to send a message to Lucy.
(d) He wants to land to avoid a storm.
8. Why does Maggie criticize the book, Corinne, which Philip brings to her?
(a) There is no moral.
(b) The story is too long.
(c) The heroine is blond.
(d) The book is dull.
9. Why doesn't Philip want to ask Maggie to marry him right away?
(a) He fears that his father and her brother do not approve.
(b) He is not sure that he really wants to marry her.
(c) He does not want to offer her a life of poverty.
(d) He feels certain that Maggie does not accept his proposal.
10. How does Tom react when he is offered a share in the business at Guest and Company?
(a) He immediately accepts.
(b) He asks his uncle to buy the old mill instead.
(c) He declines the offer and starts his own business instead.
(d) He tells his uncle he'd rather wait a few more years first.
11. What does Maggie say to Tom after they leave Philip?
(a) Tom always enjoys finding fault and punishing her.
(b) Tom never has a lover of his own.
(c) Tom is no longer her brother.
(d) Tom never understands the difference between right and wrong.
12. How do Maggie and Stephen react to their growing interest in each other?
(a) They start meeting secretly.
(b) They try to ignore each other and focus on Maggie.
(c) They spend as much time together as they can.
(d) They begin to write each other letters.
13. How does the narrator think pubic opinion regards Maggie if she returns to St. Ogg's as Mrs. Stephen Guest?
(a) Gossips talk about her for weeks.
(b) Her family welcomes her back.
(c) The community sympathizes with her.
(d) People scorn her.
14. How does Tom react when Maggie comes home?
(a) He argues with her but eventually lets her in.
(b) He forgives her right away and welcomes her home.
(c) He refuses to allow her to come under his roof.
(d) He calls the police and has her arrested.
15. How does Bob try to cheer Maggie up?
(a) He offers the family money.
(b) He brings her food.
(c) He does work around the house.
(d) He brings her books.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Philip Wakem react to the news about Maggie and Stephen?
2. When they finally meet again, what tool does Philip use to try to remind Maggie of their love for each other?
3. Where does Maggie go to live after she returns home from the boat trip with Stephen?
4. Why does Maggie resolve never to see Philip again?
5. What happens to Bob's house?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)