|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom react, at first, to Maggie's request that she is allowed to see Philip?
(a) He says that he never allows her to see Philip as long as he lives.
(b) He agrees that she is trusted now.
(c) He says that she can see Philip if there is a chaperone.
(d) He says that he has no confidence in anything she says.
2. Why is Maggie admitted to society and invited to social events that are thought to be above her station?
(a) Maggie's mother takes it upon herself to make sure that Maggie is included.
(b) Lucy personally asks her friends to invite Maggie to events.
(c) Lucy and Stephen want her to be included, so others include her.
(d) Maggie is assertive about making sure that she is included.
3. How does Maggie die at the end of the book?
(a) She is trying to rescue Tom from the flood and they both are swept away.
(b) She jumps into the floodwater and commits suicide.
(c) She is buried when a house is knocked down in the storm and collapses on her.
(d) She is trying to leave St. Ogg's again in a boat, and it capsizes.
4. What reason does Maggie give Lucy for not being tired the night after she meets Stephen?
(a) She is not used to going to bed so early.
(b) She is still tired from traveling to Lucy's home.
(c) She stays up to talk to Lucy.
(d) She is still thinking of the music they enjoy.
5. How does Stephen offend Maggie at the dance?
(a) He talks to her about love.
(b) He showers her arm with kisses when they are briefly alone together.
(c) He tries to embrace her.
(d) He tells her that he is thinking of going far away.
6. What clue does George Eliot give us to indicate that Stephen Guest is married at the end of the book?
(a) She says that he visits the tomb later "with a sweet face beside him".
(b) She has Stephen call out to his wife while they are visiting the tomb.
(c) She refers to Stephen's wife and children.
(d) She tells the reader outright that Stephen is married.
7. How does Bob try to cheer Maggie up?
(a) He offers the family money.
(b) He does work around the house.
(c) He brings her books.
(d) He brings her food.
8. Why does Philip begin to play the piano badly?
(a) He is thinking about the last time he sees Maggie.
(b) He fears that Maggie and Stephen have feelings for each other.
(c) He is feeling very tired after his long trip.
(d) He plans to ask Maggie to run away with him.
9. How does Mr. Tulliver look when he goes to meet his creditors and pay them?
(a) Lacking in confidence, unsure of himself.
(b) Sick, weakly, and feeble.
(c) Emotionally overwrought, tearful, and hesitant.
(d) Like his old self, strong and full of life.
10. Why do Philip and Maggie think that they cannot be together?
(a) They do not really love each other that much.
(b) It upsets their families.
(c) The townspeople gossip about them.
(d) They cannot afford to set up a household.
11. What do the aunts and uncles think of Tom, now that he grows up?
(a) He should leave the Tullivers and live somewhere else.
(b) He may be able to restore the Tullivers' good name.
(c) He becomes a credit to the family.
(d) He is an embarrassment to the family.
12. What is Mr. Wakem's reaction to Philip's proposal after he has a chance to think about it?
(a) He agrees that Philip asks Maggie to marry him.
(b) He insists that Philip never associates with any of the Tullivers.
(c) He refuses to let Philip consider marrying Maggie.
(d) He agrees to meet with Tom and try to set aside their differences.
13. Why does Lucy say that she rather not be engaged?
(a) She fears that her family does not approve of Stephen.
(b) Being engaged means you get married soon.
(c) She does not like Stephen that well.
(d) She likes to skip the engagement and just get married.
14. Why does Stephen Guest steal Lucy's sewing scissors?
(a) To have a chance to touch her when he gives them back.
(b) To cut a thread.
(c) To put them away for her and save her the trouble.
(d) To cut an article out of the newspaper.
15. Where does Maggie go to live after she returns home from the boat trip with Stephen?
(a) With her aunt Glegg and her family.
(b) With her aunt Moss and her family.
(c) With her aunt Pullet and her family.
(d) With Bob and his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maggie criticize the book, Corinne, which Philip brings to her?
2. Why does the job working for Dr. Kenn become a problem?
3. Where has Tom wanted Maggie to live as long as she remains unmarried?
4. Why does Lucy have a confidential conversation with her father the same evening that Philip first comes to visit?
5. What happens once Maggie and Stephen reach land?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)