|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maggie say to Tom after they leave Philip?
(a) Tom never understands the difference between right and wrong.
(b) Tom never has a lover of his own.
(c) Tom always enjoys finding fault and punishing her.
(d) Tom is no longer her brother.
2. Why do Philip and Maggie think that they cannot be together?
(a) It upsets their families.
(b) They do not really love each other that much.
(c) They cannot afford to set up a household.
(d) The townspeople gossip about them.
3. What idea occurs to Stephen once he is alone in the boat with Maggie?
(a) He wants to send a message to Lucy.
(b) He wants to travel far away and get married.
(c) He wants to take a long boat trip and then return.
(d) He wants to land to avoid a storm.
4. What is Maggie's plan for supporting herself when she returns to St. Ogg's?
(a) She plans to work in the mill.
(b) She plans to get married to someone.
(c) She plans to take a teaching job.
(d) She plans to sew for a living.
5. Why does Philip continue to visit the Red Deeps?
(a) He meets Stephen there to talk about Maggie.
(b) He needs the exercise.
(c) He feels as though Maggie's spirit is still there.
(d) He likes the scenery.
6. What does Philip offer to do for Maggie if she sees him regularly while she is caring for her parents?
(a) Meet in secret and bring her books.
(b) Help her to find a job.
(c) Help to finance Tom's trading venture.
(d) Convince his father to sell the mill.
7. What happens once Maggie and Stephen reach land?
(a) They choose not to marry but to live together in the city.
(b) They get married but quickly start to argue.
(c) Stephen has second thoughts and leaves Maggie.
(d) Maggie refuses to marry him and she leaves alone.
8. How does Philip shake Maggie's resolve never to see him again?
(a) He asks her whether she does not like him as she once does.
(b) He tells her that he cannot live without her.
(c) He tells her that she is just trying to stupefy herself into resignation.
(d) He tells her that she is missing all that life has to offer.
9. What does Tom want to do to make more money?
(a) Get a second job.
(b) Go back to school to get a better education.
(c) Trade, by sending cargo out to foreign ports.
(d) Speculate by investing in businesses.
10. Who unexpectedly comes to Maggie's aid when she returns from her boat trip with Stephen?
(a) Her aunt Glegg.
(b) Her aunt Pullet.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her aunt Moss.
11. Where has Tom wanted Maggie to live as long as she remains unmarried?
(a) With friends at St. Ogg's.
(b) With their cousin Lucy.
(c) With their aunt Pullet.
(d) At home with their mother.
12. When they finally meet again, what tool does Philip use to try to remind Maggie of their love for each other?
13. What moment in the book does the narrator say is the most delicious of Tom's life?
(a) The moment when Bob first suggests the trading scheme to Tom.
(b) The moment when he tells his father he pays the family debts.
(c) The moment when Mr. Tulliver first comes out of his coma.
(d) The moment when he tells Maggie that he knows about her meetings with Philip.
14. What happens to Dorlcote Mill in the flood?
(a) It is demolished but then is rebuilt.
(b) It rides out the flood with no problems.
(c) It floats away and becomes the mill in another town.
(d) It is demolished and never rebuilt.
15. What is Maggie's one indulgence during the period when she is nursing her father back to health?
(a) The newspaper.
(b) Fresh fruit.
(c) The company of friends.
(d) Her daily walk.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom come up with capital to finance his venture with Bob?
2. How does Maggie try to stem her loneliness while she is living at home and nursing her father back to health?
3. How does Philip Wakem react to the news about Maggie and Stephen?
4. Why does Stephen contact Maggie after she returns home from their boat trip together?
5. Which of the following statements best foreshadows Maggie's death in the flood?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)