|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Bob's house?
(a) It is buried by a mudslide.
(b) It is damaged by wind during a storm.
(c) It is destroyed in a flood.
(d) It burns to the ground.
2. How does Lucy trick Stephen?
(a) She suggests that Maggie is much older than she really is.
(b) She implies that Maggie is blond and blue-eyed.
(c) She tells him that Maggie has not arrived yet.
(d) She makes him think that Maggie takes after Mrs. Tulliver.
3. What action makes Maggie and Stephen particularly conscious of their attraction to each other?
(a) They walk around the garden one evening while Lucy is out.
(b) They happen to look each other in the eyes.
(c) They have a long talk about books and art.
(d) They discover that they agree about politics.
4. When Philip asks Maggie if she still has feelings for him, what does she give as her reason why she cannot marry him?
(a) She loses her brother as a result.
(b) She upsets the memory of her dead father.
(c) She is falling in love with Stephen.
(d) She is planning to go away to a teaching job.
5. What is George Eliot trying to communicate with the title, "The Torn Nest is Pierced by the Thorns"?
(a) There are many birds and bird nests in the area around the Tullivers' house.
(b) The Tullivers are like birds living in a torn nest with thorns that poke them.
(c) The Tullivers do not seem to be making any effort to repair their nest and it just gets worse.
(d) Creditors keep coming to the door to ask for money.
6. Why does Maggie ask Tom to release her from her promise not to see Philip?
(a) Maggie cannot bear to be away from Philip.
(b) Lucy wants to invite Philip to her house.
(c) Lucy thinks that Philip is a good friend for Maggie.
(d) Maggie hopes that since their father is dead, things change.
7. Why does Maggie have nightmares while she sleeps on the boat with Stephen?
(a) She fears that she ruins her life and that of her family members.
(b) She is afraid the boat overturns and she drowns.
(c) She is concerned about all the people who must be worrying about her and Stephen.
(d) She wonders whether anyone realizes that they drift too far down the river accidentally.
8. Why do Philip and Maggie think that they cannot be together?
(a) It upsets their families.
(b) They do not really love each other that much.
(c) The townspeople gossip about them.
(d) They cannot afford to set up a household.
9. What happens to Dorlcote Mill in the flood?
(a) It floats away and becomes the mill in another town.
(b) It rides out the flood with no problems.
(c) It is demolished and never rebuilt.
(d) It is demolished but then is rebuilt.
10. Why does Maggie criticize the book, Corinne, which Philip brings to her?
(a) There is no moral.
(b) The book is dull.
(c) The story is too long.
(d) The heroine is blond.
11. Why doesn't Philip want to ask Maggie to marry him right away?
(a) He is not sure that he really wants to marry her.
(b) He feels certain that Maggie does not accept his proposal.
(c) He does not want to offer her a life of poverty.
(d) He fears that his father and her brother do not approve.
12. How does Mr. Tulliver look when he goes to meet his creditors and pay them?
(a) Lacking in confidence, unsure of himself.
(b) Sick, weakly, and feeble.
(c) Like his old self, strong and full of life.
(d) Emotionally overwrought, tearful, and hesitant.
13. Why does Philip begin to play the piano badly?
(a) He fears that Maggie and Stephen have feelings for each other.
(b) He is feeling very tired after his long trip.
(c) He plans to ask Maggie to run away with him.
(d) He is thinking about the last time he sees Maggie.
14. What does Mr. Tulliver plan to do once the debts are paid?
(a) Invest more money in Tom's trading business.
(b) Set aside money for dowry for Maggie.
(c) Find some property to buy.
(d) Stop working for Wakem at the mill.
15. Why does Lucy say that she rather not be engaged?
(a) Being engaged means you get married soon.
(b) She fears that her family does not approve of Stephen.
(c) She does not like Stephen that well.
(d) She likes to skip the engagement and just get married.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie say that embarrasses Lucy, during Maggie's first meeting with Lucy and Stephen?
2. How does Stephen offend Maggie at the dance?
3. Is Maggie still in love with Stephen as she travels home?
4. Why does Stephen start having dinner at Lucy's house?
5. Why does the job working for Dr. Kenn become a problem?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)