|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom come up with capital to finance his venture with Bob?
(a) He gets the money from his Uncle Deane.
(b) He gets the money from his Aunt Glegg.
(c) He saves the money from his work at his job.
(d) He asks his father if he can use the money they are slowly saving.
2. How does Bob try to cheer Maggie up?
(a) He brings her food.
(b) He does work around the house.
(c) He offers the family money.
(d) He brings her books.
3. Since Maggie comes back unmarried, how does the narrator say that public opinion regards Maggie?
(a) She is a sweet, innocent girl kidnapped against her will.
(b) She is a thoughtless girl who needs better supervision.
(c) She is a designing, bold girl who seduces her cousin's suitor.
(d) She is a kind girl who does not mean to get into trouble.
4. Why does Maggie resolve never to see Philip again?
(a) Her family does not approve.
(b) She does not like him very well.
(c) She supposes that he must have many other things to do with his time.
(d) She thinks that he has something to do with her family's bankruptcy.
5. What happens to Dorlcote Mill in the flood?
(a) It is demolished but then is rebuilt.
(b) It rides out the flood with no problems.
(c) It floats away and becomes the mill in another town.
(d) It is demolished and never rebuilt.
6. Why does Maggie ask Tom to release her from her promise not to see Philip?
(a) Maggie hopes that since their father is dead, things change.
(b) Maggie cannot bear to be away from Philip.
(c) Lucy thinks that Philip is a good friend for Maggie.
(d) Lucy wants to invite Philip to her house.
7. Which of the following statements best foreshadows Maggie's death in the flood?
(a) The historical floods that occurs at St. Ogg's.
(b) Maggie's choice to dunk her head in a bucket as a child.
(c) Maggie's boat trip with Stephen Guest.
(d) Mrs. Tulliver's comment, while looking for Maggie as a child, that she drows in the pond someday.
8. Where does Maggie go to live after she returns home from the boat trip with Stephen?
(a) With Bob and his family.
(b) With her aunt Pullet and her family.
(c) With her aunt Glegg and her family.
(d) With her aunt Moss and her family.
9. Why does Philip begin to play the piano badly?
(a) He is feeling very tired after his long trip.
(b) He plans to ask Maggie to run away with him.
(c) He is thinking about the last time he sees Maggie.
(d) He fears that Maggie and Stephen have feelings for each other.
10. Why does Stephen contact Maggie after she returns home from their boat trip together?
(a) He writes to say that he is going to marry Lucy.
(b) He stops by to say that he has no regrets.
(c) He stops by to apologize for letting the boat go so far.
(d) He writes to say that he still loves her.
11. What does Maggie tell Lucy is her reason for leaving St. Ogg's and taking another teaching job?
(a) She falls in love with Stephen.
(b) She prefers never to marry at all, but just to teach.
(c) She cannot marry Philip if her brother does not approve.
(d) She does not want to marry Philip anymore.
12. When they finally meet again, what tool does Philip use to try to remind Maggie of their love for each other?
13. What does Philip argue with his father, Mr. Wakem, about?
(a) He tells his father that he is in love with Maggie.
(b) He argues that the dispute with the Tullivers should be set aside.
(c) He tries to convince his father to sell the mill.
(d) He tells his father that he wants to get a job.
14. What happens to Bob's house?
(a) It is destroyed in a flood.
(b) It is buried by a mudslide.
(c) It is damaged by wind during a storm.
(d) It burns to the ground.
15. Who unexpectedly comes to Maggie's aid when she returns from her boat trip with Stephen?
(a) Her aunt Moss.
(b) Her aunt Glegg.
(c) Her aunt Pullet.
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens between Stephen and Maggie at the Mosses?
2. What do the aunts and uncles think of Tom, now that he grows up?
3. What does Maggie say that embarrasses Lucy, during Maggie's first meeting with Lucy and Stephen?
4. What is Stephen Guest's first reaction to hearing that Maggie is coming to visit her cousin Lucy?
5. Why does Maggie criticize the book, Corinne, which Philip brings to her?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)