|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Wakem talk to Maggie at the bazaar?
(a) Because he wants to buy some knit goods from her.
(b) Because he wants her advice about the mill.
(c) Because Philip wants to marry her.
(d) Because he forgives her family.
2. When Philip asks Maggie if she still has feelings for him, what does she give as her reason why she cannot marry him?
(a) She loses her brother as a result.
(b) She is falling in love with Stephen.
(c) She upsets the memory of her dead father.
(d) She is planning to go away to a teaching job.
3. Why does Maggie resolve never to see Philip again?
(a) Her family does not approve.
(b) She thinks that he has something to do with her family's bankruptcy.
(c) She does not like him very well.
(d) She supposes that he must have many other things to do with his time.
4. Why does Maggie have nightmares while she sleeps on the boat with Stephen?
(a) She is afraid the boat overturns and she drowns.
(b) She wonders whether anyone realizes that they drift too far down the river accidentally.
(c) She fears that she ruins her life and that of her family members.
(d) She is concerned about all the people who must be worrying about her and Stephen.
5. How does the narrator think pubic opinion regards Maggie if she returns to St. Ogg's as Mrs. Stephen Guest?
(a) The community sympathizes with her.
(b) Gossips talk about her for weeks.
(c) Her family welcomes her back.
(d) People scorn her.
6. How does Tom react, at first, to Maggie's request that she is allowed to see Philip?
(a) He says that he has no confidence in anything she says.
(b) He says that she can see Philip if there is a chaperone.
(c) He agrees that she is trusted now.
(d) He says that he never allows her to see Philip as long as he lives.
7. Who does Maggie finally confide in about her feelings for Stephen?
(b) Her aunt Moss.
(c) Mrs. Tulliver.
8. What kind of job does Maggie find to support herself?
(a) She becomes a seamstress for the town.
(b) She becomes a governess for Dr. Kenn's children.
(c) She becomes a housemaid in an inn.
(d) She becomes a cook in a local eatery.
9. What do the aunts and uncles think of Tom, now that he grows up?
(a) He should leave the Tullivers and live somewhere else.
(b) He may be able to restore the Tullivers' good name.
(c) He becomes a credit to the family.
(d) He is an embarrassment to the family.
10. What happens at the bazaar to make Stephen start to feel jealous?
(a) He realizes that Maggie and Philip have some history together.
(b) He notices that Maggie is careful not to look at him.
(c) He deduces that Mr. Wakem stops to see Maggie for a reason.
(d) He sees Lucy talking to other men of St. Ogg's.
11. What happens to Bob's house?
(a) It burns to the ground.
(b) It is damaged by wind during a storm.
(c) It is destroyed in a flood.
(d) It is buried by a mudslide.
12. What is Maggie's one indulgence during the period when she is nursing her father back to health?
(a) The newspaper.
(b) Her daily walk.
(c) The company of friends.
(d) Fresh fruit.
13. Why does Lucy say that she rather not be engaged?
(a) Being engaged means you get married soon.
(b) She fears that her family does not approve of Stephen.
(c) She does not like Stephen that well.
(d) She likes to skip the engagement and just get married.
14. What does Tom want to do to make more money?
(a) Get a second job.
(b) Trade, by sending cargo out to foreign ports.
(c) Speculate by investing in businesses.
(d) Go back to school to get a better education.
15. Why does Maggie continue to see Philip when she does not believe she is ever able to marry him?
(a) She can't stop herself because she treasures their time together.
(b) She thinks that if she sees him often enough, she stops wanting to be with him.
(c) She thinks that in time, people forget about the bankruptcy.
(d) She hopes that someday something changes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens between Stephen and Maggie at the Mosses?
2. Why doesn't Philip want to ask Maggie to marry him right away?
3. How does Maggie try to stem her loneliness while she is living at home and nursing her father back to health?
4. Why does Philip continue to visit the Red Deeps?
5. Why do the aunts and uncles think that Maggie should not go back into service?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)