|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom want to do to make more money?
(a) Trade, by sending cargo out to foreign ports.
(b) Get a second job.
(c) Go back to school to get a better education.
(d) Speculate by investing in businesses.
2. Which of the following statements best foreshadows Maggie's death in the flood?
(a) Maggie's choice to dunk her head in a bucket as a child.
(b) The historical floods that occurs at St. Ogg's.
(c) Mrs. Tulliver's comment, while looking for Maggie as a child, that she drows in the pond someday.
(d) Maggie's boat trip with Stephen Guest.
3. What do Tom and Maggie look like when their bodies are discovered?
(a) They are no longer recognizable.
(b) They are far from each other.
(c) They are never found.
(d) They are hugging each other tightly.
4. Why does Lucy have a confidential conversation with her father the same evening that Philip first comes to visit?
(a) She wants to buy the mill herself and have her family run it.
(b) She wants to ask him if there is any chance of buying the mill.
(c) She wants to distract Maggie from Stephen.
(d) She wants to warn him that Maggie and Philip may still love each other.
5. How does Tom react when he is offered a share in the business at Guest and Company?
(a) He declines the offer and starts his own business instead.
(b) He asks his uncle to buy the old mill instead.
(c) He tells his uncle he'd rather wait a few more years first.
(d) He immediately accepts.
6. Why does Stephen come to see Maggie at the Mosses?
(a) He wants to apologize for his behavior at the dance.
(b) He wants to persuade her not to go away again.
(c) He feels that he has to see her again no matter what.
(d) He hopes to convince her to return to Lucy's house.
7. What happens at the bazaar to make Stephen start to feel jealous?
(a) He sees Lucy talking to other men of St. Ogg's.
(b) He deduces that Mr. Wakem stops to see Maggie for a reason.
(c) He notices that Maggie is careful not to look at him.
(d) He realizes that Maggie and Philip have some history together.
8. Why does the job working for Dr. Kenn become a problem?
(a) Some gossips claim that Maggie is very lazy and does not take care of the children.
(b) People tend to think that Maggie is unreliable.
(c) People don't think that Maggie is fit to be around children.
(d) Town gossips begin to talk about Maggie having a relationship wtih Dr. Kenn.
9. Who does Maggie finally confide in about her feelings for Stephen?
(c) Mrs. Tulliver.
(d) Her aunt Moss.
10. What is Maggie's one indulgence during the period when she is nursing her father back to health?
(a) The newspaper.
(b) Her daily walk.
(c) The company of friends.
(d) Fresh fruit.
11. Why does Mr. Wakem talk to Maggie at the bazaar?
(a) Because he forgives her family.
(b) Because Philip wants to marry her.
(c) Because he wants her advice about the mill.
(d) Because he wants to buy some knit goods from her.
12. How does Tom react, at first, to Maggie's request that she is allowed to see Philip?
(a) He agrees that she is trusted now.
(b) He says that she can see Philip if there is a chaperone.
(c) He says that he has no confidence in anything she says.
(d) He says that he never allows her to see Philip as long as he lives.
13. Why doesn't Philip want to ask Maggie to marry him right away?
(a) He feels certain that Maggie does not accept his proposal.
(b) He is not sure that he really wants to marry her.
(c) He fears that his father and her brother do not approve.
(d) He does not want to offer her a life of poverty.
14. Why is Maggie admitted to society and invited to social events that are thought to be above her station?
(a) Maggie's mother takes it upon herself to make sure that Maggie is included.
(b) Lucy personally asks her friends to invite Maggie to events.
(c) Maggie is assertive about making sure that she is included.
(d) Lucy and Stephen want her to be included, so others include her.
15. Who frequently visits Tom's and Maggie's grave?
(a) Stephen and Philip.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Glegg.
(c) Dr. Kenn and his children.
(d) Bob and his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maggie continue to see Philip when she does not believe she is ever able to marry him?
2. Why has Philip come to see Maggie?
3. Why does Maggie criticize the book, Corinne, which Philip brings to her?
4. How does Stephen offend Maggie at the dance?
5. Why does Lucy understand and forgive Maggie?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)