Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maggie pore over the pages of a book while she is waiting for Lucy to return?
(a) It gives her something to do and she is feeling bored.
(b) She is fascinated by the book and cannot put it down.
(c) She wants to give the impression of only being interested in books.
(d) It is a way to hide her face while she is crying.
2. What happens to Bob's house?
(a) It is buried by a mudslide.
(b) It is destroyed in a flood.
(c) It is damaged by wind during a storm.
(d) It burns to the ground.
3. Which of the following statements best foreshadows Maggie's death in the flood?
(a) Maggie's boat trip with Stephen Guest.
(b) Mrs. Tulliver's comment, while looking for Maggie as a child, that she drows in the pond someday.
(c) Maggie's choice to dunk her head in a bucket as a child.
(d) The historical floods that occurs at St. Ogg's.
4. Since Maggie comes back unmarried, how does the narrator say that public opinion regards Maggie?
(a) She is a designing, bold girl who seduces her cousin's suitor.
(b) She is a sweet, innocent girl kidnapped against her will.
(c) She is a kind girl who does not mean to get into trouble.
(d) She is a thoughtless girl who needs better supervision.
5. What happens once Maggie and Stephen reach land?
(a) They get married but quickly start to argue.
(b) They choose not to marry but to live together in the city.
(c) Maggie refuses to marry him and she leaves alone.
(d) Stephen has second thoughts and leaves Maggie.
6. Why does Stephen come to see Maggie at the Mosses?
(a) He wants to apologize for his behavior at the dance.
(b) He feels that he has to see her again no matter what.
(c) He hopes to convince her to return to Lucy's house.
(d) He wants to persuade her not to go away again.
7. What is the real reason why Maggie is not tired the night after meeting Stephen?
(a) She has some sewing she hopes to do.
(b) She cannot stop thinking about him.
(c) She has too much coffee to drink.
(d) She has a book she wants to read.
8. What kind of job does Maggie find to support herself?
(a) She becomes a governess for Dr. Kenn's children.
(b) She becomes a housemaid in an inn.
(c) She becomes a cook in a local eatery.
(d) She becomes a seamstress for the town.
9. Who frequently visits Tom's and Maggie's grave?
(a) Dr. Kenn and his children.
(b) Bob and his wife.
(c) Stephen and Philip.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Glegg.
10. How does Tom come up with capital to finance his venture with Bob?
(a) He gets the money from his Uncle Deane.
(b) He gets the money from his Aunt Glegg.
(c) He asks his father if he can use the money they are slowly saving.
(d) He saves the money from his work at his job.
11. How does Stephen offend Maggie at the dance?
(a) He showers her arm with kisses when they are briefly alone together.
(b) He talks to her about love.
(c) He tells her that he is thinking of going far away.
(d) He tries to embrace her.
12. Why does Stephen Guest steal Lucy's sewing scissors?
(a) To cut a thread.
(b) To have a chance to touch her when he gives them back.
(c) To cut an article out of the newspaper.
(d) To put them away for her and save her the trouble.
13. Why does Maggie resolve never to see Philip again?
(a) She does not like him very well.
(b) She thinks that he has something to do with her family's bankruptcy.
(c) She supposes that he must have many other things to do with his time.
(d) Her family does not approve.
14. Why does Mrs. Tulliver not want Maggie to do any work that is hard on her hands?
(a) She fears that Maggie hurts herself doing hard work.
(b) She worries that Maggie gets the idea of looking for work as a housemaid.
(c) She thinks of Maggie as her baby because she is the youngest.
(d) She still hopes for a good marriage for Maggie and wants her hands kept soft.
15. Why does Stephen want to marry Lucy?
(a) He is madly in love with her and thinks of nothing else.
(b) She is the most beautiful woman he has ever seen.
(c) She is not a remarkable rarity but is moderate in all things.
(d) He thinks that his family approves of a marriage with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea occurs to Stephen once he is alone in the boat with Maggie?
2. What does Maggie say to Tom after they leave Philip?
3. How does Philip Wakem react to the news about Maggie and Stephen?
4. Why do the aunts and uncles think that Maggie should not go back into service?
5. Why do Philip and Maggie think that they cannot be together?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)