|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens once Maggie and Stephen reach land?
(a) Stephen has second thoughts and leaves Maggie.
(b) Maggie refuses to marry him and she leaves alone.
(c) They choose not to marry but to live together in the city.
(d) They get married but quickly start to argue.
2. How does Lucy's plan to intervene with Tom on Maggie's behalf backfire?
(a) She makes Tom feel suspicious that Maggie must be planning to marry Philip.
(b) She argues with Tom and ends up dividing the family between those who agree with her and those who do not.
(c) She persuades Tom that Maggie should be allowed to become a schoolteacher.
(d) She convinces Tom that Maggie never goes back into service.
3. What clue does George Eliot give us to indicate that Stephen Guest is married at the end of the book?
(a) She refers to Stephen's wife and children.
(b) She has Stephen call out to his wife while they are visiting the tomb.
(c) She tells the reader outright that Stephen is married.
(d) She says that he visits the tomb later "with a sweet face beside him".
4. How does Tom force Maggie to stop seeing Philip?
(a) He threatens Philip with bodily harm if he sees Maggie again.
(b) He sends Maggie away to another town.
(c) He threatens to tell their father if she does not.
(d) He threatens to take away Maggie's books.
5. Why does Dr. Kenn hope that the good opinion of Maggie by some people is restored?
(a) Philip still marries Maggie.
(b) Stephen sends a letter vindicating Maggie.
(c) Maggie is a good character.
(d) Lucy speaks on Maggie's behalf.
6. Where has Tom wanted Maggie to live as long as she remains unmarried?
(a) With their cousin Lucy.
(b) With their aunt Pullet.
(c) With friends at St. Ogg's.
(d) At home with their mother.
7. Who does Maggie finally confide in about her feelings for Stephen?
(a) Mrs. Tulliver.
(c) Her aunt Moss.
8. What does Tom want to do to make more money?
(a) Speculate by investing in businesses.
(b) Go back to school to get a better education.
(c) Trade, by sending cargo out to foreign ports.
(d) Get a second job.
9. Why does Philip continue to visit the Red Deeps?
(a) He feels as though Maggie's spirit is still there.
(b) He needs the exercise.
(c) He likes the scenery.
(d) He meets Stephen there to talk about Maggie.
10. What happens to Bob's house?
(a) It is damaged by wind during a storm.
(b) It is buried by a mudslide.
(c) It is destroyed in a flood.
(d) It burns to the ground.
11. Why does Philip begin to play the piano badly?
(a) He fears that Maggie and Stephen have feelings for each other.
(b) He is feeling very tired after his long trip.
(c) He is thinking about the last time he sees Maggie.
(d) He plans to ask Maggie to run away with him.
12. Why is Maggie admitted to society and invited to social events that are thought to be above her station?
(a) Lucy and Stephen want her to be included, so others include her.
(b) Maggie is assertive about making sure that she is included.
(c) Lucy personally asks her friends to invite Maggie to events.
(d) Maggie's mother takes it upon herself to make sure that Maggie is included.
13. What does Maggie say to Tom after they leave Philip?
(a) Tom never has a lover of his own.
(b) Tom is no longer her brother.
(c) Tom never understands the difference between right and wrong.
(d) Tom always enjoys finding fault and punishing her.
14. When Stephen and Maggie end up in a boat alone together, who is supposed to be there instead of Stephen?
15. How does Bob try to cheer Maggie up?
(a) He brings her books.
(b) He does work around the house.
(c) He offers the family money.
(d) He brings her food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who unexpectedly comes to Maggie's aid when she returns from her boat trip with Stephen?
2. How does Lucy trick Stephen?
3. What is Mr. Wakem's reaction to Philip's proposal after he has a chance to think about it?
4. How does Maggie's Aunt Glegg react to the news that Maggie comes home?
5. Why does Lucy understand and forgive Maggie?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)