|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen offend Maggie at the dance?
(a) He tries to embrace her.
(b) He tells her that he is thinking of going far away.
(c) He showers her arm with kisses when they are briefly alone together.
(d) He talks to her about love.
2. How does Philip shake Maggie's resolve never to see him again?
(a) He tells her that she is just trying to stupefy herself into resignation.
(b) He tells her that he cannot live without her.
(c) He asks her whether she does not like him as she once does.
(d) He tells her that she is missing all that life has to offer.
3. What clue does George Eliot give us to indicate that Stephen Guest is married at the end of the book?
(a) She says that he visits the tomb later "with a sweet face beside him".
(b) She has Stephen call out to his wife while they are visiting the tomb.
(c) She refers to Stephen's wife and children.
(d) She tells the reader outright that Stephen is married.
4. What does Tom want to do to make more money?
(a) Speculate by investing in businesses.
(b) Go back to school to get a better education.
(c) Get a second job.
(d) Trade, by sending cargo out to foreign ports.
5. What does Mr. Tulliver do when he happens to run into Mr. Wakem after he pays off his other creditors?
(a) He tells him what happens.
(b) He asks him to come and have dinner with the family.
(c) He forgives him.
(d) He attacks him.
6. Why does Maggie continue to see Philip when she does not believe she is ever able to marry him?
(a) She thinks that if she sees him often enough, she stops wanting to be with him.
(b) She can't stop herself because she treasures their time together.
(c) She hopes that someday something changes.
(d) She thinks that in time, people forget about the bankruptcy.
7. How does Maggie die at the end of the book?
(a) She is buried when a house is knocked down in the storm and collapses on her.
(b) She is trying to leave St. Ogg's again in a boat, and it capsizes.
(c) She is trying to rescue Tom from the flood and they both are swept away.
(d) She jumps into the floodwater and commits suicide.
8. Why does Mr. Wakem talk to Maggie at the bazaar?
(a) Because he forgives her family.
(b) Because Philip wants to marry her.
(c) Because he wants to buy some knit goods from her.
(d) Because he wants her advice about the mill.
9. When Stephen and Maggie end up in a boat alone together, who is supposed to be there instead of Stephen?
10. Why does Maggie pore over the pages of a book while she is waiting for Lucy to return?
(a) It is a way to hide her face while she is crying.
(b) She is fascinated by the book and cannot put it down.
(c) She wants to give the impression of only being interested in books.
(d) It gives her something to do and she is feeling bored.
11. What does Mr. Tulliver plan to do once the debts are paid?
(a) Stop working for Wakem at the mill.
(b) Find some property to buy.
(c) Set aside money for dowry for Maggie.
(d) Invest more money in Tom's trading business.
12. How does Tom come up with capital to finance his venture with Bob?
(a) He asks his father if he can use the money they are slowly saving.
(b) He gets the money from his Aunt Glegg.
(c) He gets the money from his Uncle Deane.
(d) He saves the money from his work at his job.
13. What does Philip argue with his father, Mr. Wakem, about?
(a) He tells his father that he is in love with Maggie.
(b) He tells his father that he wants to get a job.
(c) He tries to convince his father to sell the mill.
(d) He argues that the dispute with the Tullivers should be set aside.
14. Why does Mrs. Tulliver not want Maggie to do any work that is hard on her hands?
(a) She thinks of Maggie as her baby because she is the youngest.
(b) She worries that Maggie gets the idea of looking for work as a housemaid.
(c) She still hopes for a good marriage for Maggie and wants her hands kept soft.
(d) She fears that Maggie hurts herself doing hard work.
15. What happens to Bob's house?
(a) It is destroyed in a flood.
(b) It is damaged by wind during a storm.
(c) It is buried by a mudslide.
(d) It burns to the ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens between Stephen and Maggie at the Mosses?
2. How does their father's death affect Maggie and Tom's relationship?
3. Why does the job working for Dr. Kenn become a problem?
4. Why does Stephen want to marry Lucy?
5. Which of the following statements best foreshadows Maggie's death in the flood?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)