|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the job working for Dr. Kenn become a problem?
(a) People tend to think that Maggie is unreliable.
(b) People don't think that Maggie is fit to be around children.
(c) Town gossips begin to talk about Maggie having a relationship wtih Dr. Kenn.
(d) Some gossips claim that Maggie is very lazy and does not take care of the children.
2. What moment in the book does the narrator say is the most delicious of Tom's life?
(a) The moment when he tells his father he pays the family debts.
(b) The moment when Mr. Tulliver first comes out of his coma.
(c) The moment when Bob first suggests the trading scheme to Tom.
(d) The moment when he tells Maggie that he knows about her meetings with Philip.
3. What does Mr. Tulliver do when he happens to run into Mr. Wakem after he pays off his other creditors?
(a) He asks him to come and have dinner with the family.
(b) He tells him what happens.
(c) He forgives him.
(d) He attacks him.
4. The last sentence of Book Six, Chapter 10 notes that Philip is not totally happy with Maggie's answer, and says that jealousy always longs for omniscience. What does the narrator mean by this?
(a) Philip is determined to take some kind of action.
(b) Philip believes that Maggie chooses asceticism again.
(c) Philip suspects there is some other reason too.
(d) Philip cannot wait for Tom to feel better about the marriage.
5. Why does Philip continue to visit the Red Deeps?
(a) He feels as though Maggie's spirit is still there.
(b) He likes the scenery.
(c) He meets Stephen there to talk about Maggie.
(d) He needs the exercise.
6. What happens to Bob's house?
(a) It is buried by a mudslide.
(b) It burns to the ground.
(c) It is damaged by wind during a storm.
(d) It is destroyed in a flood.
7. What idea occurs to Stephen once he is alone in the boat with Maggie?
(a) He wants to take a long boat trip and then return.
(b) He wants to land to avoid a storm.
(c) He wants to travel far away and get married.
(d) He wants to send a message to Lucy.
8. Why has Philip come to see Maggie?
(a) He wants to do something to help.
(b) He brings something for her family.
(c) He has a message from his father.
(d) He wants to be friends.
9. Who unexpectedly comes to Maggie's aid when she returns from her boat trip with Stephen?
(a) Her aunt Glegg.
(b) Her aunt Moss.
(c) Her aunt Pullet.
(d) Her mother.
10. Why does Mr. Wakem talk to Maggie at the bazaar?
(a) Because he wants her advice about the mill.
(b) Because he forgives her family.
(c) Because Philip wants to marry her.
(d) Because he wants to buy some knit goods from her.
11. How does Tom force Maggie to stop seeing Philip?
(a) He threatens Philip with bodily harm if he sees Maggie again.
(b) He sends Maggie away to another town.
(c) He threatens to take away Maggie's books.
(d) He threatens to tell their father if she does not.
12. Why does Mrs. Tulliver not want Maggie to do any work that is hard on her hands?
(a) She thinks of Maggie as her baby because she is the youngest.
(b) She worries that Maggie gets the idea of looking for work as a housemaid.
(c) She fears that Maggie hurts herself doing hard work.
(d) She still hopes for a good marriage for Maggie and wants her hands kept soft.
13. How do Maggie and Stephen react to their growing interest in each other?
(a) They start meeting secretly.
(b) They try to ignore each other and focus on Maggie.
(c) They spend as much time together as they can.
(d) They begin to write each other letters.
14. Who does Maggie finally confide in about her feelings for Stephen?
(c) Mrs. Tulliver.
(d) Her aunt Moss.
15. Why does Stephen contact Maggie after she returns home from their boat trip together?
(a) He stops by to say that he has no regrets.
(b) He stops by to apologize for letting the boat go so far.
(c) He writes to say that he still loves her.
(d) He writes to say that he is going to marry Lucy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom react, at first, to Maggie's request that she is allowed to see Philip?
2. Who frequently visits Tom's and Maggie's grave?
3. What do the aunts and uncles think of Tom, now that he grows up?
4. How do we know that Tom is a very able employee?
5. Why does Lucy say that she rather not be engaged?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)