|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following character traits does the narrator feel is typical of the people of St. Ogg's?
2. Which part of the news about the family finances shocks Mr. Tulliver the most when he first regains his senses after the accident?
(a) The realization that he cannot afford to keep Tom in school.
(b) The realization that most of his goods are sold.
(c) The realization that he is bankrupt.
(d) The realization that he cannot pay back his debts.
3. Why does Mrs. Glegg get angry with Mr. Glegg the morning after they come home from visiting the Tullivers?
(a) She feels that he does not do enough chores around the house.
(b) She feels that he does not allow her to visit her sister often enough.
(c) She feels that he is not careful enough about money.
(d) She feels he does not support her in the argument with Mr. Tulliver.
4. What does Mr. Tulliver feel is his strongest reason for staying and working at the mill?
(a) He lives there all his life and loves it.
(b) He has no other job.
(c) His wife asks him to.
(d) He hopes to pay off his debts.
5. What does Maggie discover when she finds the gypsies?
(a) She does not like them.
(b) She realizes that they just take her home again.
(c) She admires them greatly.
(d) She finds out that they are planning to travel away from the village.
6. Why do Mrs. Tulliver's sisters criticize Mr. Tulliver?
(a) They do not think that he treats Mrs. Tulliver well.
(b) They think that he is not good at managing money.
(c) They think that he is not very good looking.
(d) They are unimpressed with his parenting skills.
7. What is Philip's main drawback, from Tom's point of view?
(a) He is the son of Tom's father's enemy, Mr. Wakem.
(b) He does not care for fishing.
(c) He is not a pleasant person to spend time with.
(d) He already learns most of what Tom is studying.
8. What do the Tullivers think of their daughter, Maggie?
(a) She is obedient but foolish.
(b) She is pretty and docile.
(c) She is smart and mischievous.
(d) She is hardworking but dumb.
9. Why does Mrs. Tulliver panic when she cannot find Maggie?
(a) She thinks that Maggie drowns in the pond.
(b) She thinks that Maggie is getting into trouble.
(c) She thinks that Maggie should apologize to Lucy.
(d) She thinks that Maggie runs away.
10. What part of the book is introduced in the first chapter?
(a) The setting.
(b) The plot.
(c) The theme.
(d) The main characters.
11. Why does Tom have a hard time at school with Mr. Stelling?
(a) He does not like to work and would rather go fishing.
(b) He is not good at learning things like geometry and Latin.
(c) He does not like living with Mr. Stelling.
(d) He misses his family at home in St. Ogg's.
12. What does Tom say when Maggie offers to teach him about bookkeeping?
(a) He says that she always tries to set herself up above everyone else.
(b) He says that she cannot teach him because she does not know how to do anything.
(c) He says that he is happy for her to teach him.
(d) He says that women are not supposed to teach men anything.
13. How does Mrs. Moss soften Mr. Tulliver's anger?
(a) She praises his daughter, Maggie.
(b) She praises his son, Tom.
(c) She reminds him of their childhood together.
(d) She offers him a piece of pie.
14. What does Mr. Riley recommend that Mr. Tulliver do about Tom's education?
(a) Send him to study with a parson.
(b) Send him to study with a lawyer.
(c) Send him to the village school.
(d) Send him to boarding school.
15. How does Philip manage to get Tom excited about learning?
(a) He inspires Tom because he is so advanced in his studies.
(b) He explains the connection between education and business to Tom.
(c) He tells him stories of heros from classical mythology.
(d) He becomes friends with Tom, who then wants to do the same things as Philip.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maggie get angry with her aunts and uncles?
2. What causes Mr. Tulliver to wake up?
3. What attribute do all the Dodson sisters have in common?
4. What does Mr. Tulliver force Tom to write on his own behalf in the Bible?
5. How do Philip and Maggie become close?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)