|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Chapter 7 | Book 6: Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character trait explains why Tom and Maggie won't take Bob's money?
2. Why does looking at the new bonnet make Mrs. Tulliver and Mrs. Pullet so sad?
(a) The bonnet is crushed in the closet and ruined.
(b) The bonnet is not fashionable any more.
(c) Mrs. Tulliver wishes that she has a similar bonnet.
(d) Mrs. Pullet speculates that she may not live to wear the bonnet in a second season.
3. How does Philip manage to get Tom excited about learning?
(a) He inspires Tom because he is so advanced in his studies.
(b) He becomes friends with Tom, who then wants to do the same things as Philip.
(c) He explains the connection between education and business to Tom.
(d) He tells him stories of heros from classical mythology.
4. Why has Philip come to see Maggie?
(a) He has a message from his father.
(b) He wants to be friends.
(c) He wants to do something to help.
(d) He brings something for her family.
5. How does Mr. Tulliver look when he goes to meet his creditors and pay them?
(a) Lacking in confidence, unsure of himself.
(b) Like his old self, strong and full of life.
(c) Sick, weakly, and feeble.
(d) Emotionally overwrought, tearful, and hesitant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom come up with capital to finance his venture with Bob?
2. Why does Mr. Tulliver agree to run the mill, even though Mr. Wakem now owns it ?
3. What kind of a job does Mr. Deane eventually find for Tom?
4. How does Mrs. Tulliver hope that her sisters help the family recover from bankruptcy?
5. Why does Mrs. Pullet want to intervene in the quarrel between Mrs. Glegg and Mr. Tulliver?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)