|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Chapter 7 | Book 6: Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Philip offer to do for Maggie if she sees him regularly while she is caring for her parents?
(a) Help to finance Tom's trading venture.
(b) Convince his father to sell the mill.
(c) Help her to find a job.
(d) Meet in secret and bring her books.
2. What is Maggie shocked to notice after the sale?
(a) Even the books are gone.
(b) Her father is moved.
(c) Bob arrives to offer what little he can.
(d) Her mother's linens are gone.
3. What part of the book is introduced in the first chapter?
(a) The setting.
(b) The theme.
(c) The main characters.
(d) The plot.
4. Why does Mr. Wakem ask Mr. Tulliver to run the mill?
(a) It humiliatez him to work for Mr. Wakem.
(b) It givez Philip a chance to get to know Maggie again.
(c) It helpz him to get back on his feet again.
(d) It is a way for Mr. Wakem to help the Tullivers.
5. What is George Eliot trying to communicate with the title, "The Torn Nest is Pierced by the Thorns"?
(a) The Tullivers are like birds living in a torn nest with thorns that poke them.
(b) Creditors keep coming to the door to ask for money.
(c) There are many birds and bird nests in the area around the Tullivers' house.
(d) The Tullivers do not seem to be making any effort to repair their nest and it just gets worse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maggie leap to Tom's defense while Mr. Tulliver discusses Tom's education with Mr. Riley?
2. Why does Stephen Guest steal Lucy's sewing scissors?
3. What does Tom want to do to make more money?
4. What does the narrator say it means when a young boy appears sheepish?
5. Who is the one person Mr. Tulliver recognizes after his fall from the horse?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)