|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3: Chapter 1 | Book 3: Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mrs. Tulliver's sisters tell Mr. Tulliver about the clergyman he plans to send Tom to study with?
(a) There are recent improvements to the local school.
(b) The clergyman recently stops taking students.
(c) Sending Tom to study with the clergyman is very expensive.
(d) A local lawyer, Wakem, is also sending his son to the same clergyman.
2. What attribute do all the Dodson sisters have in common?
(a) They are all wealthy.
(b) They are known for their beauty.
(c) They are very strongminded.
(d) They take pride in their family.
3. What is Maggie most shocked by when she arrives at home after accompanying Tom home from Lorton?
(a) Learning that the family may have to go to a workhouse.
(b) Hearing her mother criticize her father's actions and choices.
(c) Seeing her father still lying in bed, insensible.
(d) Seeing her aunts buying the family linens.
4. What part of the book is introduced in the first chapter?
(a) The main characters.
(b) The plot.
(c) The setting.
(d) The theme.
5. What is Mr. Tulliver's opinion of lawyers?
(a) He considers them to be rascals.
(b) He admires them and wants Tom to become one.
(c) He thinks that they are beneath his social station.
(d) He wishes that he can afford to hire one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie think of Tom's lessons with Mr. Stelling when she visits?
2. How does Mrs. Tulliver hope that her sisters help the family recover from bankruptcy?
3. How do Philip and Maggie become close?
4. What helps Mrs. Glegg to feel better about her argument with Mr. Glegg?
5. Why does Mr. Tulliver want Tom to study drawing?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)