|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3: Chapter 1 | Book 3: Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Pullet want to intervene in the quarrel between Mrs. Glegg and Mr. Tulliver?
(a) She does not want people in town to hear that her family is quarreling over money.
(b) She does not like to have family members arguing with each other.
(c) She hopes to borrow money from Mrs. Glegg herself.
(d) Mrs. Tulliver asks her to intervene.
2. Why does Mrs. Glegg decide to let Mr. Tulliver keep the money a while longer?
(a) She does not really need the money.
(b) She is getting a good rate of interest from him.
(c) She regrets fighting with Mr. Tulliver and with Mr. Glegg about money.
(d) She does not want to cause problems for her sister's family.
3. Why does Maggie leap to Tom's defense while Mr. Tulliver discusses Tom's education with Mr. Riley?
(a) Mr. Tulliver says that he has something on his mind regarding Tom.
(b) Mr. Tulliver says that if Tom is a miller, he turns Mr. Tulliver out of his own mill.
(c) Mr. Tulliver says that he does not mean for Tom to be a miller and a farmer.
(d) Mr. Tulliver says that Tom is never likely to become much of a scholar.
4. How does Mr. Tulliver react to Mrs. Pullet's plan to mediate on his behalf with Mrs. Glegg?
(a) He decides to go to Mrs. Glegg himself and ask her to wait a while longer for the money.
(b) He already has the money and pays Mrs. lregg back right away.
(c) He decides to borrow the money to pay Mrs. Glegg back.
(d) He tells Mrs. Pullet how grateful he is to have her help.
5. Why does Mr. Tulliver advise Maggie and Tom not to become too close to Philip?
(a) Because he is older than they are.
(b) Because he is a hunchback.
(c) Because he is Mr. Wakem's son.
(d) Because he does not inherit any property.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say it means when a young boy appears sheepish?
2. Why do Tom and his friend Bob fight?
3. How does Maggie react to the aunt's criticism of her hair?
4. How does Philip manage to get Tom excited about learning?
5. What surprise does Tom bring back for Maggie from school?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)