|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 9 | Book 1: Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Maggie nervous about seeing Tom when he comes home?
(a) She fears that Tom is upset about being sent away to study.
(b) She wants to convince him to take her fishing with him.
(c) She thinks he forgets about her since he is away.
(d) She forgets to feed his rabbits and they die.
2. Why is it hard on Maggie to have her aunts and uncles and cousins come to visit?
(a) Maggie wants to have Tom all to herself.
(b) Maggie does not like her aunts and uncles and cousins.
(c) Her cousin Lucy does not like to play with Maggie.
(d) Her cousin Lucy is much more docile and obedient than Maggie.
3. What happens to Maggie when she tries to hug Tom because she is so delighted by the music coming from the music box?
(a) Her mother praises Maggie for being so well behaved.
(b) Tom hugs her back and forgives her for upsetting his house of cards.
(c) She gets in trouble for making him spill his cowslip wine.
(d) Her uncle offers to play another tune on the music box.
4. Why do Tom and his friend Bob fight?
(a) Bob thinks Tom does not bring him along on his "Noah's Ark".
(b) Each thinks the other cheats at a coin flip.
(c) One wants to go fishing and the other does not want to.
(d) Tom feels that Bob insults Maggie.
5. What does the narrator say it means when a young boy appears sheepish?
(a) He is carefully listening to what you say.
(b) He is thinking of counterarguments to your views.
(c) He thinks you are strange.
(d) He is in awe of your wisdom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does looking at the new bonnet make Mrs. Tulliver and Mrs. Pullet so sad?
2. How does Mrs. Moss soften Mr. Tulliver's anger?
3. What do Mrs. Tulliver's sisters tell Mr. Tulliver about the clergyman he plans to send Tom to study with?
4. What part of the book is introduced in the first chapter?
5. What do the Tullivers think of their daughter, Maggie?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)