|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 6: Chapter 10 | Book 6: Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Tulliver plan to do once the debts are paid?
(a) Set aside money for dowry for Maggie.
(b) Invest more money in Tom's trading business.
(c) Stop working for Wakem at the mill.
(d) Find some property to buy.
2. The last sentence of Book Six, Chapter 10 notes that Philip is not totally happy with Maggie's answer, and says that jealousy always longs for omniscience. What does the narrator mean by this?
(a) Philip suspects there is some other reason too.
(b) Philip believes that Maggie chooses asceticism again.
(c) Philip is determined to take some kind of action.
(d) Philip cannot wait for Tom to feel better about the marriage.
3. Why does Maggie dunk her head in a tub of water?
(a) She spills something on her hair.
(b) She does not want her mother to try to curl it.
(c) She is too hot and wants to cool off.
(d) She is trying to make her mother think that she takes a bath.
4. What does Maggie tell Lucy is her reason for leaving St. Ogg's and taking another teaching job?
(a) She cannot marry Philip if her brother does not approve.
(b) She does not want to marry Philip anymore.
(c) She prefers never to marry at all, but just to teach.
(d) She falls in love with Stephen.
5. What does Philip argue with his father, Mr. Wakem, about?
(a) He tells his father that he is in love with Maggie.
(b) He argues that the dispute with the Tullivers should be set aside.
(c) He tries to convince his father to sell the mill.
(d) He tells his father that he wants to get a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Maggie when she tries to hug Tom because she is so delighted by the music coming from the music box?
2. How does Tom react, at first, to Maggie's request that she is allowed to see Philip?
3. How does Maggie react when Tom takes Lucy to the pond and tells Maggie not to come?
4. What does Tom want to do to make more money?
5. Why do you think that George Eliot chooses to begin a new book, Book II, with the chapter in which Tom first goes away to school?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)