|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Chapter 1 | Book 5: Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Tulliver change his mind about asking the Mosses to pay their debt?
(a) He wants Tom to be generous with Maggie if she ever needs it.
(b) He remembers that the Mosses have a lot of expenses to pay.
(c) He realizes that he doesn't really need the money that badly.
(d) He thinks about how he feels in Mr. Moss's position.
2. Who is the one person Mr. Tulliver recognizes after his fall from the horse?
(a) Mrs. Tulliver.
3. How does Maggie react to the aunt's criticism of her hair?
(a) She brushes it.
(b) She cuts it.
(c) She sticks her head in a bucket of water.
(d) She braids it and puts a hat on.
4. Why does Mr. Tulliver advise Maggie and Tom not to become too close to Philip?
(a) Because he does not inherit any property.
(b) Because he is a hunchback.
(c) Because he is older than they are.
(d) Because he is Mr. Wakem's son.
5. Why has Philip come to see Maggie?
(a) He has a message from his father.
(b) He brings something for her family.
(c) He wants to do something to help.
(d) He wants to be friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of the news about the family finances shocks Mr. Tulliver the most when he first regains his senses after the accident?
2. Why does Mr. Wakem decide to buy the mill?
3. How does Mrs. Glegg react to Mr. Tulliver's letter?
4. How does Mrs. Moss soften Mr. Tulliver's anger?
5. Why do you think that George Eliot chooses to begin a new book, Book II, with the chapter in which Tom first goes away to school?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)