Book 1: Chapter 1 | Book 1: Chapter 2
* Book One: Chapter One.
* The setting of the story is laid out; it is the town of St. Ogg's, on the river Floss.
* Dorlcote Mill sits where the Floss meets a tributary, the Ripple, and it uses the flow of water in the Ripple.
* Book One: Chapter Two.
* Mr. Tulliver tells Mrs. Tulliver that he plans to send their son, Tom, away to school.
* Mrs. Tulliver wants to consult her sisters and their husbands about this decision, but Mr. Tulliver refuses to do so.
* Mr. Tulliver observes that he wishes that Tom, rather than his sister, Maggie, inherits his intelligence.
* Mrs. Tulliver complains about how naughty Maggie is.
Book 1: Chapter 3 | Book 1: Chapter 4
* Book One: Chapter Three.
* Mr. Tulliver asks Mr. Riley's advice about Tom's education, and Mr. Riley advises him to send Tom to study with a parson.
* Maggie discusses Daniel Defoe's The History...
This section contains 2,673 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)