|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Act 1, Scene 9 take place in whose office?
2. What Broadway show does Roy discourage his clients from seeing in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What does Prior say is in his urine in Act 1, Scene 8?
4. What is Prior doing in his dream in Act 1, Scene 7?
5. What is the name of Louis and Prior's cat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kushner use split scenes in Millennium Approaches? What effect does this have?
2. How does Prior reveal his illness to Louis in Act 1, Scene 4? Why hasn't he revealed it before?
3. What takes place between Louis and the stranger in the park? Why does the stranger leave?
4. How does Louis and Prior's relationship and Joe and Harper's relationship mirror each other in Act 2?
5. What symbols are represented in the end of Prior's dream in Act 1, Scene 7?
6. Describe the relationship that Louis has with Judaism as shown in Act 1. How does the rabbi know Louis' grandmother?
7. What does the title "In Vitro" mean in the play?
8. What does Roy say to Joe about love and responsibility in Act 2, Scene 4?
9. Describe the marriage of Joe and Harper as established in Act 1, Scene 3. What is significant about Joe's nickname for Harper?
10. What does Joe want in Act 2 in regard to self destruction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of heritage and change in the play. How do these themes tie into each of the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of AIDS in Millennium Approaches. Which characters face AIDS as a major battle in their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the political and religious ideals of Joe and Roy. How do these men differ regarding ethics? How is this expressed in the play?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)