|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the various Jewish factions finally combine, what are they called?
2. By Part 4, Chapter 20, how many entrances to the bunker at Mila 18 have the Germans found?
3. In Part 4, Chapter 16, the Joint Forces have four more victories, but they are running out of ___________
4. By the time Mila 18 is destroyed, how many Jews are left in the ghetto?
5. How is Koenig's offer in Part 4, Chapter 9 received?
Short Essay Questions
1. By Part 4, Chapter 9, Funk is frustrated and embarrassed by his failures, so he turns the task of final liquidation over to Von Epp and Dr. Koenig. What is Koenig's first step?
2. Describe the situation in the Mila 18 bunker by April of 1943.
3. When the last survivors leave the ghetto, how do both sides of the fight, the Nazis vs. the Jews, fare?
4. What is the United Forces?
5. Why are the final members of the ghetto so hard for the Nazis to defeat?
6. How do the German's gain access to Mila 18, and how does Simon help others escape?
7. What happens when the Communist faction of the Joint Forces attempts to escape the ghetto?
8. How do Von Epp and Funk view the war and its outcome differently in Part 4?
9. How does Von Epp give Chris in their final meeting in Part 3?
10. What does Von Epp admit to Chris in Part 3, Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Minor characters are those who are not the primary focus of the story, but help drive the plot that is following the main character. Select three of the minor characters below to explain their significance to the plot. In other words, why does the author include these characters at all?
• Simon Eden
• Emanuel Goldman
• David Zemba
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Joint Forces and their role in the book; who are they? with how many members do they begin with? What accomplishments do they achieve? What failures do they endure? How many members remain at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Andrei's report? What information does the report reveal, and for whom is it meant?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)