|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Emanuel Goldman?
2. Paul Bronski is told he must move out of his home because ______ is(are) moving in.
3. What sort of response did Chris' past reports of atrocities receive from the world?
4. To what political party did Chris' father belong on which Chris later reported?
5. What has happened to Paul Bronski in Part 1, Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who in the novel keeps a journal, and why?
2. When Chris returns from covering the war on the eastern front, what does he discover?
3. What do Von Epp and Chris discuss in Part 2, Chapter 27?
4. Why does Von Epp invite Chris out for dinner and 'girls', and what does Chris' response lead Von Epp to assume?
5. Why is Alfred Funk brought to Warsaw in Part 2, Chapter 16?
6. Who are the four leaders Brandel feels he can depend upon to help him unify the different Jewish factions?
7. Describe Chris' parents, and his relationship with them as he grew up.
8. What does Part 1, Chapter 11 primarily describe?
9. Describe what occurs between Wolf and Rachel in Part 2, Chapter 21.
10. What is the relationship and agreement between Max Kleperman and Koenig?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the journals kept throughout the novel? Who writes in them, and what information is recorded? Why are the journals considered so important? To what lengths do the characters go in order to protect or try to locate the journals?
Essay Topic 2
The women of Mila 18 are varied in personality and position, but also have some qualities in common. Compare and contrast any two of the following women:
• Deborah Bronski
• Ana Grinspan
• Gabriela Rak
• Rachel Bronski
Essay Topic 3
Punishment and humiliation are strong motifs throughout Mila 18. Describe at least two examples of each motif occurring at different points throughout the story. Do these motifs always go hand-in-hand? Is one more prominent than the other?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)