|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 21, what is Rachel providing for the children of the orphanage?
2. What is Rabbi Solomon able to obtain from Max Kleperman?
3. Why does Brandel decide to move his wife and children?
4. Who had Von Epp originally requested that Chris fire?
5. What happens to Rabbi Solomon's synagogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what occurs between Wolf and Rachel in Part 2, Chapter 21.
2. How do Von Epp and Funk view the war and its outcome differently in Part 4?
3. Describe the situation in the Mila 18 bunker by April of 1943.
4. What does Brandel decide to do with his family in Part 2, Chapter 12?
5. Who is Dr. Franz Koenig, and how does he feel about Dr. Paul Bronski?
6. When it becomes clear in Part 3 that a new contact on the Aryan side is needed, who is selected and how does Andrei feel about it?
7. What do Von Epp and Chris discuss in Part 2, Chapter 27?
8. Who in the novel keeps a journal, and why?
9. What is Andrei's experience in Lublin in Part 3, Chapter 7?
10. As preparations continue in Part 1, Chapters 13 & 14 for the occupation of Warsaw, how is Chris affected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women of Mila 18 are varied in personality and position, but also have some qualities in common. Compare and contrast any two of the following women:
• Deborah Bronski
• Ana Grinspan
• Gabriela Rak
• Rachel Bronski
Essay Topic 2
The religious beliefs and expectations Deborah expresses to Paul conflict greatly with her actions with Chris. Describe the discordance between Deborah's religious beliefs and her actions, and how that divergence affects her. How does Deborah believe she is punished for her sins?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of the journals kept throughout the novel? Who writes in them, and what information is recorded? Why are the journals considered so important? To what lengths do the characters go in order to protect or try to locate the journals?
This section contains 1,580 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)