|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the time Chris De Monti has returned from reporting on the Eastern Front, where is Ervin living?
2. What is Ervin Rosenblum's profession?
3. From where is Hitler sending more Jews into the ghetto, causing overcrowding?
4. How many German-owned factories are in the ghetto?
5. Andrei visits Paul Bronski in Part 2, Chapter 4 and tries to convince him of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the three-pronged plan Brandel and the other leaders develop in Part 2, Chapter 6.
2. How does Brandel show that he trusts Rabbi Solomon? With what does Solomon respond?
3. Who is Horst Von Epp, and why is his job ironic?
4. When all Jewish organization are outlawed and the Bathyrans are forced underground, what does Andrei decide to do?
5. What does Brandel decide to do with his family in Part 2, Chapter 12?
6. What does Rabbi Solomon counsel Alex Brandel to do, and why?
7. Who in the novel keeps a journal, and why?
8. What do Alex Brandel and Andrei view differently at the The Bathyran Council meeting in Part 1?
9. How does Gabriela react when Andrei does not immediately return in Chapter 11 & 12?
10. How does Wolf get caught by the Gestapo, and what is arranged for his release?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mila 18 contains many conflicts, both internal and external. Select at least three types of conflict below and explain where and how they appear in Mila 18.
• Man against Man
• Man against Nature
• Man against Himself
• Man against God
• Man against Society
• Man caught in the Middle
• Man & Woman
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Joint Forces and their role in the book; who are they? with how many members do they begin with? What accomplishments do they achieve? What failures do they endure? How many members remain at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the book's title. Why might the author have selected Mila 18 for the title, and do you agree that it is the most appropriate title for this story? If not, what title do you feel is more appropriate and why?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)