|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 13, Paul is caught between his wife's beliefs and _____________.
2. Why will Andrei not marry Gabriela?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 3, food and supplies are delivered to the Germans in anticipation of whom or what?
4. In an attempt to neutralize the militant efforts of Andrei, what does Paul Bronski offer Andrei if Andrei will disband his military resistance?
5. Who leaves out of anger after Chris and Andrei argue over Zionism in Part One, Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. As preparations continue in Part 1, Chapters 13 & 14 for the occupation of Warsaw, how is Chris affected?
2. Who is Horst Von Epp, and why is his job ironic?
3. As the preparation for the occupation of Warsaw continues, a truce is to be signed. What have the Germans agreed to exchange? What is discovered later about why the Germans even offered this exchange?
4. What is Gabriela doing for work by Part 2, Chapter 17?
5. What do Von Epp and Chris discuss in Part 2, Chapter 27?
6. When all Jewish organization are outlawed and the Bathyrans are forced underground, what does Andrei decide to do?
7. What does Part 1, Chapter 11 primarily describe?
8. How is Gabriela Rak initially described to readers?
9. When Chris returns from covering the war on the eastern front, what does he discover?
10. In what year does the book open, and what is the political setting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the journals kept throughout the novel? Who writes in them, and what information is recorded? Why are the journals considered so important? To what lengths do the characters go in order to protect or try to locate the journals?
Essay Topic 2
Minor characters are those who are not the primary focus of the story, but help drive the plot that is following the main character. Select three of the minor characters below to explain their significance to the plot. In other words, why does the author include these characters at all?
• Simon Eden
• Emanuel Goldman
• David Zemba
Essay Topic 3
The women of Mila 18 are varied in personality and position, but also have some qualities in common. Compare and contrast any two of the following women:
• Deborah Bronski
• Ana Grinspan
• Gabriela Rak
• Rachel Bronski
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)