|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gabriela wait each night in hopes of Andrei returning to Warsaw?
2. When raiding homes in the ghetto, what does the Gestapo make residents do before they are shot?
3. Who leaves out of anger after Chris and Andrei argue over Zionism in Part One, Chapter 5?
4. What does Koenig ask Max Kleperman to do?
5. What is one thing Andrei and Wolf's resistance movement has set up by Part 2, Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Horst Von Epp, and why is his job ironic?
2. When Chris returns from covering the war on the eastern front, what does he discover?
3. Who are Christopher De Monti and Ervin Rosenblum, and how do they know one another?
4. Describe Chris' parents, and his relationship with them as he grew up.
5. When it becomes clear in Part 3 that a new contact on the Aryan side is needed, who is selected and how does Andrei feel about it?
6. What is the relationship and agreement between Max Kleperman and Koenig?
7. Describe the conditions in the Warsaw Ghetto by 1940.
8. What do Alex Brandel and Andrei view differently at the The Bathyran Council meeting in Part 1?
9. As preparations continue in Part 1, Chapters 13 & 14 for the occupation of Warsaw, how is Chris affected?
10. Describe the three-pronged plan Brandel and the other leaders develop in Part 2, Chapter 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the book's title. Why might the author have selected Mila 18 for the title, and do you agree that it is the most appropriate title for this story? If not, what title do you feel is more appropriate and why?
Essay Topic 2
Minor characters are those who are not the primary focus of the story, but help drive the plot that is following the main character. Select three of the minor characters below to explain their significance to the plot. In other words, why does the author include these characters at all?
• Simon Eden
• Emanuel Goldman
• David Zemba
Essay Topic 3
The religious beliefs and expectations Deborah expresses to Paul conflict greatly with her actions with Chris. Describe the discordance between Deborah's religious beliefs and her actions, and how that divergence affects her. How does Deborah believe she is punished for her sins?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)