|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is it in Part 2, Chapter 17, when all Warsaw Jews are in the ghetto?
2. Who is Emanuel Goldman?
3. What is prohibited to Jews in Warsaw?
4. What is Mila 18?
5. What is Rabbi Solomon able to obtain from Max Kleperman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Alfred Funk brought to Warsaw in Part 2, Chapter 16?
2. Why does Andrei refuse to marry Gabriela?
3. In what year does the book open, and what is the political setting?
4. What do Alex Brandel and Andrei view differently at the The Bathyran Council meeting in Part 1?
5. What are the first things Sieghold Stutze does as the new SS commander in Warsaw?
6. Describe the three-pronged plan Brandel and the other leaders develop in Part 2, Chapter 6.
7. What does Rabbi Solomon counsel Alex Brandel to do, and why?
8. When all Jewish organization are outlawed and the Bathyrans are forced underground, what does Andrei decide to do?
9. When Andrei visits Paul Bronski's new office, of what is he trying to convince Paul? In response, about what does Paul try to convince both Andrei and himself?
10. Describe Chris' parents, and his relationship with them as he grew up.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the journals kept throughout the novel? Who writes in them, and what information is recorded? Why are the journals considered so important? To what lengths do the characters go in order to protect or try to locate the journals?
Essay Topic 2
What is the prominent mood throughout Mila 18? Specifically, what literary techniques does the author utilize in order to create this mood?
Essay Topic 3
Determine the genre and sub-genre, if applicable, of Mila 18, supporting your choice with evidence from the text.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)