|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Popo gets out of jail, how do the people of Miguel Street treat him?
(a) Like a ruined man.
(b) Like a comedian.
(c) Like an ex-con.
(d) Like a hero, better than Hat or Bogart.
2. In Chapter 4 with whom does Elias start spending a lot of time?
(a) The author.
(b) Titus Hoyt.
(c) His sister, Dolly.
3. What do the men play in Bogart's room when he's in to British Guiana?
(c) Gin Rummy.
4. What does the author accomplish ?
(a) Passes the exam qualifying him to become a doctor.
(b) Gets a teaching position in Hoyt's school.
(c) Wrutes a book of poetry.
(d) Marries a very wealthy Trinidadian girl.
5. When Popo returns from his trip what does he do?
(a) He cheers up.
(b) He visits his friends on Miguel Street.
(c) He cries constantly and seeks consolation.
(d) He becomes angry and works constantly.
6. What is the eventual fate of George's wife, the mother of his children?
(a) She runs away and hides on board a ship.
(b) She leaves George and moves in wtih another man.
(c) She dies from the beatings and is given a shabby funeral.
(d) She seeks refuge in the author's house.
7. What does Man-man start doing after his dog is dead?
(a) He starts stealing from the shops on Miguel Street.
(b) He preaches and gives his possessions away.
(c) He cries all the time.
(d) He writes a book about his dog.
8. What does Sergeant Charles arrest Bogart for?
(d) Being a public nuisance.
9. After Elias tries repeatedly to pass the exam and can't, what does he first become?
(a) A teacher in Hoyt's school.
(b) A sailor.
(c) A sanitation inspector.
(d) A policeman.
10. How does B. Wordsworth speak?
(a) With a heavy Trinidadian accent.
(b) With broken English.
(c) With an American accent.
(d) With perfect English.
11. What is George's ultimate fate?
(a) He leaves Trinidad and settles in South America.
(b) He marries a third wife.
(c) He lives alone, becomes old and dies.
(d) He makes lots of money.
12. Where does Popo travel to after his wife leaves him?
13. What adjective describes George best?
14. How does George treat his children?
(a) He expects them to be great successes.
(b) He beats them savagely, too.
(c) He dotes on them.
(d) He is ver protective of them.
15. What does George do after his wife's funeral?
(a) He apologizes to his two children and begs their forgiveness.
(b) He reforms and becomes a new man.
(c) He vows never to beat any family member again.
(d) He leaves for a week and comes back with a new wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the exam given at Hoyt's school qualify the person who passes it to become?
2. What does Popo do when he goes away after his wife leaves him?
3. How long is Bogart gone the second time he disappears from Trinidad?
4. What does Bogart do on his first trip away from Miguel Street?
5. Who is Popo?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)