|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The reaction to a migraine does not need to be uniquely _________, according to the way Sacks feels about the subject.
2. Migraines might also have some specific _________ in one's life, according to Sacks, filling a role the patient needs it to fill.
3. Other patients will see __________ of people or places as a part of hallucinations during a migraine attack.
4. During this section of the book, Sacks points out there is a _________ inside the human head, according to his experience.
5. One of the medical deterrents to treating a migraine addresses the ________ of the malady.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sacks point out is more needed in the animal world than in the human world?
2. What does Sacks say about the possibility that animals might also experience migraines?
3. What sort of person does Sacks say is someone who might actually be self-destructive or may have a desire toward self-punishment?
4. What does Sacks see as happening with patients who are treated by physicians who make hasty decisions for their patients?
5. What are two of the ways in which a person can manage their risk of migraines, according to Sacks?
6. What are some of the polygons that migraine patients have reported seeing as a part of their auras or hallucinations?
7. What did Airy believe that migraine hallucinations allowed a person to do as a result of their appearance?
8. What affects at least ten percent of the population, so many people that they have attracted attention and curiosity since the beginning of time?
9. What happens when Sacks has a patient who will only agree to be treated with medications for their migraines?
10. What are the two categories of hallucinations that are most often attributed to migraine experiences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacks points out that the idea of a migraine can make a person feel disordered in their life.
Part 1: Do you think that migraines are disorders? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think a person's life is affected by migraine headaches?
Part 3: Why do you think disorder might not be an applicable descriptor for migraine sufferers?
Essay Topic 2
Migraines are associated with debilitating pain, which means that patients need pain medications.
Part 1: Do you think some people fake migraines in order to get pain medications?
Part 2: How do you think migraines could be treated without pain medications? Is this possible?
Part 3: Do you think pain medication should be the only treatment for migraines?
Essay Topic 3
Sacks believes that some people are predisposed to migraines, which makes them more likely to experience that pain.
Part 1: Why do you think some people are predisposed to migraines?
Part 2: Do you think you would be upset to find out that you were genetically predisposed to migraines?
Part 3: Does knowing that genetics cause migraines make them any easier to manage?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)