|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Another of the medical deterrents to treating a migraine is aimed at the emotional ______ where this is considered to be a primary source of migraines.
2. Some patients can respond to _________ as many migraines are sensitive to suggestion during the episode.
3. One of the medical deterrents to treating a migraine addresses the ________ of the malady.
4. One of the categories of drugs is aimed at the __________ of the migraine, according to Sacks.
5. Another uncommon drug therapy for migraines which has been prescribed by Sacks is _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the typical pieces of advice which Sacks might offer to a patient who is suffering from migraines?
2. What happens when systems are open to the environment around them, versus those systems which are closed?
3. What determines the frequency with which a doctor should see their migraine patients?
4. What are the two categories of hallucinations that are most often attributed to migraine experiences?
5. What are the three categories of drugs that can be used in the treatment of migraines, according to Sacks?
6. What does Sacks have to say about patients who have to face chronic migraines in their lives?
7. What are the three categories of hallucinosis, according to the last section of the book?
8. What does Sacks see as happening with patients who are treated by physicians who make hasty decisions for their patients?
9. What are two of the ways in which a person can manage their risk of migraines, according to Sacks?
10. What is another reason for the visual disturbances which can be seen my migraine patients?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, a doctor coined terms for migraines, based on what the patients looked like when they were suffering.
Part 1: Do you think medical condition names should include the appearance of the patient?
Part 2: Why do you thin Reymond decided to label migraine patients by their appearance?
Part 3: How do you think medical conditions should be labeled and named?
Essay Topic 2
Sacks points out that the idea of a migraine can make a person feel disordered in their life.
Part 1: Do you think that migraines are disorders? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think a person's life is affected by migraine headaches?
Part 3: Why do you think disorder might not be an applicable descriptor for migraine sufferers?
Essay Topic 3
Migraines are at risk of being misdiagnosed, according to Sacks in the book.
Part 1: Why do you think it might be difficult to diagnose migraines in patients?
Part 2: How do you think misdiagnosis might be avoided in the treatment of migraines?
Part 3: Do you think that misdiagnosis is every completely avoidable?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)