|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Careful monitoring of __________ will also be helpful for those who want to make sure they are minimizing their risk of migraines.
2. It might be necessary to adjust one's ________ in order to reduce the effects of flickering lights in one's environment.
3. In the case of menstrual migraines, Sacks points out that _________ may be helpful in controlling the pain.
4. Many of the patterns that are created are often _________, according to Sacks, which is why further research is needed.
5. Some patients will simply seek out a _________ when they don't like the advice that they hear.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is another reason for the visual disturbances which can be seen my migraine patients?
2. What sort of person would be a person who can get an aggressive migraine, according to Sacks?
3. What does Sacks have to say about patients who have to face chronic migraines in their lives?
4. What does Sacks point out is more needed in the animal world than in the human world?
5. What happens when systems are open to the environment around them, versus those systems which are closed?
6. Why do some researchers believe that manual compression will be helpful for the reduction of pain during the migraine?
7. What are two of the ways in which a person can manage their risk of migraines, according to Sacks?
8. What are some of the polygons that migraine patients have reported seeing as a part of their auras or hallucinations?
9. Why was Lashley mostly dismissed by his contemporaries in the migraine research field, according to the last section of this book?
10. What is the correlation that Sacks discounts because of a lack of studies of migraine patients?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The many symptoms associated with migraines seem to make them difficult to diagnose.
Part 1: Why do you think doctors associate so many symptoms with migraines?
Part 2: How do you think doctors work to diagnose a condition?
Part 3: Do you think that everyone with migraine symptoms is actually suffering from migraines?
Essay Topic 2
According to this book, there doesn't seem to be a typical migraine patient that can be easily described and defined.
Part 1: Why do you think migraines can't be easily defined?
Part 2: Do you think it's easier to treat a condition that is easier to define?
Part 3: Do you think doctors will be able to categorize the migraine more easily with more research?
Essay Topic 3
Migraines are conditions that can impact a person for their entire life, without a cure in many cases.
Part 1: Why do you think that migraines impact a person's life so much?
Part 2: Do you think you could manage a condition that has no cure?
Part 3: How do you think a person changes when they have so much pain in their life?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)