|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sacks concludes the book by talking about how there is a tendency for the ________ to take on specific patterns.
2. Physicians, according to Sacks, often make ______ decisions based on impertinent, improper, and irresponsible interpretations.
3. Sacks presents the argument between chaos and __________, in relation to migraines and to the universe.
4. The _________ migraine is one that comes to light when a patient is highly emotional and tends toward intense rage.
5. The first category of visual hallucinations that can be seen during a migraine attack is _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when systems are open to the environment around them, versus those systems which are closed?
2. How does Sacks recommend a patient with nausea deal with their medication ingestion to ensure pain relief?
3. What determines the frequency with which a doctor should see their migraine patients?
4. What are the three categories of drugs that can be used in the treatment of migraines, according to Sacks?
5. What does Sacks say about the possibility that animals might also experience migraines?
6. What kind of patient only needs to have a few appointments with their physician each year?
7. What is the discovery that Lashely makes about the process of his own migraine scotomata?
8. What is another reason for the visual disturbances which can be seen my migraine patients?
9. What does Sacks believe would be cruel to do to a migraine patient, though he does not agree with this treatment?
10. Why was Lashley mostly dismissed by his contemporaries in the migraine research field, according to the last section of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some believe that people with a certain 'delicacy or grace' are more prone to suffer from migraines.
Part 1: Does it seem fair to say that certain personalities might have more migraines?
Part 2: How do you think a person's personality might impact the way they are affected by pain?
Part 3: Why do you think migraines seem to affect sensitive people more?
Essay Topic 2
Migraines are associated with debilitating pain, which means that patients need pain medications.
Part 1: Do you think some people fake migraines in order to get pain medications?
Part 2: How do you think migraines could be treated without pain medications? Is this possible?
Part 3: Do you think pain medication should be the only treatment for migraines?
Essay Topic 3
The many symptoms associated with migraines seem to make them difficult to diagnose.
Part 1: Why do you think doctors associate so many symptoms with migraines?
Part 2: How do you think doctors work to diagnose a condition?
Part 3: Do you think that everyone with migraine symptoms is actually suffering from migraines?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)