|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some of the things that patients see in their migraine are random ________ shapes, and some patients choose to draw them.
2. The fact that visual ___________ are so common makes their presence fascinating to researchers.
3. Migraines might also have some specific _________ in one's life, according to Sacks, filling a role the patient needs it to fill.
4. That migraines might have a role in one's life is the _________, rather than the rule, according to Sacks.
5. To deny a migraine sufferer the use of ___________ would be cruel, according to Sacks in this book.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the discovery that Lashely makes about the process of his own migraine scotomata?
2. What can happen with a geometrical ornamental structure, according to Fluver in this section?
3. What does Sacks say is uniquely human about the experience of migraines in humans, though he does not dispute that animals can have migraines too?
4. What does Sacks say about the possibility that animals might also experience migraines?
5. Why do some researchers believe that manual compression will be helpful for the reduction of pain during the migraine?
6. What does Sacks say becomes an important part of the study of migraines, according to this section of the book?
7. What does Sacks point out as causing complications in terms of finding accurate and consistent diagnoses?
8. What are the three categories of drugs that can be used in the treatment of migraines, according to Sacks?
9. What is another reason for the visual disturbances which can be seen my migraine patients?
10. What affects at least ten percent of the population, so many people that they have attracted attention and curiosity since the beginning of time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Migraines seem to be conditions with progressive symptoms, symptoms that come on slowly as opposed to suddenly.
Part 1: Why do you think patients are not always aware of their symptoms when they come on gradually?
Part 2: Do you think a migraine patient should be able to spot their symptoms early?
Part 3: How do you think a patient can treat gradual symptoms? Or can't they?
Essay Topic 2
Choosing treatments for migraines may be just as painful a process as the headaches.
Part 1: How do you think a migraine treatment be chosen?
Part 2: Why do you think migraines are so difficult to treat?
Part 3: How do you think a person might feel if they try a treatment and it doesn't work as they want it to?
Essay Topic 3
Pain is something that can change the way a person thinks and the way a person behaves in their lives.
Part 1: How do you think chronic pain affects a person in their life?
Part 2: Why do you think chronic pain needs to be treated aggressively? Or doesn't it?
Part 3: Do you think you could manage with chronic pain? Why or why not?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)