|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. An important part of migraine treatment, according to Sacks, is to give the body the _______ it needs in order to make it through the event.
2. Migraines may very well take on the particular aspects of the ________ though it may never be clear what prompts the unit as a whole.
3. ________ turned inward on oneself, might also create a situation for a migraine to occur.
4. The _________ of a person who is suffering from a migraine becomes an important part of the study of migraines, according to Sacks.
5. Sacks uses the analogy of ________ to try to explain what he means by the way that migraines are never typical.
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of patient only needs to have a few appointments with their physician each year?
2. What can happen with a geometrical ornamental structure, according to Fluver in this section?
3. Where did Ralph Siegel, PhD work when he co-authored the last chapter with Oliver Sacks, according to the footnote?
4. Why was Lashley mostly dismissed by his contemporaries in the migraine research field, according to the last section of this book?
5. What sort of person would be a person who can get an aggressive migraine, according to Sacks?
6. What does Sacks say is uniquely human about the experience of migraines in humans, though he does not dispute that animals can have migraines too?
7. What does Sacks see as happening with patients who are treated by physicians who make hasty decisions for their patients?
8. What does Sacks believe would be cruel to do to a migraine patient, though he does not agree with this treatment?
9. What does Sacks point out is more needed in the animal world than in the human world?
10. What does Sacks have to say about patients who have to face chronic migraines in their lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacks believes that some people are predisposed to migraines, which makes them more likely to experience that pain.
Part 1: Why do you think some people are predisposed to migraines?
Part 2: Do you think you would be upset to find out that you were genetically predisposed to migraines?
Part 3: Does knowing that genetics cause migraines make them any easier to manage?
Essay Topic 2
Some believe that people with a certain 'delicacy or grace' are more prone to suffer from migraines.
Part 1: Does it seem fair to say that certain personalities might have more migraines?
Part 2: How do you think a person's personality might impact the way they are affected by pain?
Part 3: Why do you think migraines seem to affect sensitive people more?
Essay Topic 3
Pain is something that can change the way a person thinks and the way a person behaves in their lives.
Part 1: How do you think chronic pain affects a person in their life?
Part 2: Why do you think chronic pain needs to be treated aggressively? Or doesn't it?
Part 3: Do you think you could manage with chronic pain? Why or why not?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)