|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One researcher describes the presence of __________ work patterns during some migraine events.
2. When a patient realizes he will have less pain when he fights off a severe attack, he is more likely to choose to undergo a brief bout of ___________.
3. Some people who have constant migraines that interrupt their life may have to _________ to live with them.
4. The intensity of the pain of a migraine is directly related to the dilation of the _________ arteries in the head, according to research.
5. The _________ migraine is one that comes to light when a patient is highly emotional and tends toward intense rage.
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of person does Sacks say is someone who might actually be self-destructive or may have a desire toward self-punishment?
2. What is the correlation that Sacks discounts because of a lack of studies of migraine patients?
3. What does Sacks point out as causing complications in terms of finding accurate and consistent diagnoses?
4. What are the three categories of hallucinosis, according to the last section of the book?
5. What is the discovery that Lashely makes about the process of his own migraine scotomata?
6. What kind of patient only needs to have a few appointments with their physician each year?
7. What happens when Sacks has a patient who will only agree to be treated with medications for their migraines?
8. What are the two categories of hallucinations that are most often attributed to migraine experiences?
9. What does Sacks point out is more needed in the animal world than in the human world?
10. What are some of the polygons that migraine patients have reported seeing as a part of their auras or hallucinations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The many symptoms associated with migraines seem to make them difficult to diagnose.
Part 1: Why do you think doctors associate so many symptoms with migraines?
Part 2: How do you think doctors work to diagnose a condition?
Part 3: Do you think that everyone with migraine symptoms is actually suffering from migraines?
Essay Topic 2
Sacks points out that the idea of a migraine can make a person feel disordered in their life.
Part 1: Do you think that migraines are disorders? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think a person's life is affected by migraine headaches?
Part 3: Why do you think disorder might not be an applicable descriptor for migraine sufferers?
Essay Topic 3
Some migraine sufferers seem to have hallucinations before they have the migraine symptoms.
Part 1: What do the hallucinations tell a person about the cause of the migraine?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if you were to have hallucinations suddenly?
Part 3: Do you think it's easy to determine that you are having a hallucination?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)