|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There are a number of problems that are created by the myriad of _________ that a migraine might cause, according to Sacks.
2. Sacks says that the best migraine clinic was one in which a patient was told to lie down in a darkened room with _______ and aspirin.
3. The initial ________ with a patient might be limited, but this should not be the only step in diagnosis and treatment.
4. Some patients can respond to _________ as many migraines are sensitive to suggestion during the episode.
5. Sometimes the hallucination events happen in a __________ order, with fewer patients experiencing the third category.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do some researchers believe that manual compression will be helpful for the reduction of pain during the migraine?
2. Where did Ralph Siegel, PhD work when he co-authored the last chapter with Oliver Sacks, according to the footnote?
3. What is the discovery that Lashely makes about the process of his own migraine scotomata?
4. What kind of patient only needs to have a few appointments with their physician each year?
5. What does Sacks say becomes an important part of the study of migraines, according to this section of the book?
6. What determines the frequency with which a doctor should see their migraine patients?
7. What does Sacks believe would be cruel to do to a migraine patient, though he does not agree with this treatment?
8. What are some of the polygons that migraine patients have reported seeing as a part of their auras or hallucinations?
9. What happens when systems are open to the environment around them, versus those systems which are closed?
10. What affects at least ten percent of the population, so many people that they have attracted attention and curiosity since the beginning of time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some believe that people with a certain 'delicacy or grace' are more prone to suffer from migraines.
Part 1: Does it seem fair to say that certain personalities might have more migraines?
Part 2: How do you think a person's personality might impact the way they are affected by pain?
Part 3: Why do you think migraines seem to affect sensitive people more?
Essay Topic 2
For many people, the idea of a migraine is something they might not ever experience, so this book might be difficult to understand.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for a book about migraines to be written?
Part 2: Do you think that people who don't suffer from migraines will benefit from this book?
Part 3: How do you think migraine sufferers can benefit from this book?
Essay Topic 3
Choosing treatments for migraines may be just as painful a process as the headaches.
Part 1: How do you think a migraine treatment be chosen?
Part 2: Why do you think migraines are so difficult to treat?
Part 3: How do you think a person might feel if they try a treatment and it doesn't work as they want it to?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)