|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sacks does point out that there can be _____________ when using different drug treatments for migraines.
2. One of the medical deterrents to treating a migraine addresses the ________ of the malady.
3. Sacks also suggests that __________ not be overlooked as a possible treatment for the pain of migraines.
4. Other patients will see __________ of people or places as a part of hallucinations during a migraine attack.
5. Many of the patterns that are created are often _________, according to Sacks, which is why further research is needed.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sacks say is uniquely human about the experience of migraines in humans, though he does not dispute that animals can have migraines too?
2. What are two of the ways in which a person can manage their risk of migraines, according to Sacks?
3. What did Airy believe that migraine hallucinations allowed a person to do as a result of their appearance?
4. What are the three categories of drugs that can be used in the treatment of migraines, according to Sacks?
5. What does Sacks have to say about patients who have to face chronic migraines in their lives?
6. What does Sacks see as happening with patients who are treated by physicians who make hasty decisions for their patients?
7. What are some of the polygons that migraine patients have reported seeing as a part of their auras or hallucinations?
8. Why was Lashley mostly dismissed by his contemporaries in the migraine research field, according to the last section of this book?
9. Why do some researchers believe that manual compression will be helpful for the reduction of pain during the migraine?
10. What sort of person would be a person who can get an aggressive migraine, according to Sacks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacks points out that the idea of a migraine can make a person feel disordered in their life.
Part 1: Do you think that migraines are disorders? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think a person's life is affected by migraine headaches?
Part 3: Why do you think disorder might not be an applicable descriptor for migraine sufferers?
Essay Topic 2
Pain is something that can change the way a person thinks and the way a person behaves in their lives.
Part 1: How do you think chronic pain affects a person in their life?
Part 2: Why do you think chronic pain needs to be treated aggressively? Or doesn't it?
Part 3: Do you think you could manage with chronic pain? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
According to this book, there doesn't seem to be a typical migraine patient that can be easily described and defined.
Part 1: Why do you think migraines can't be easily defined?
Part 2: Do you think it's easier to treat a condition that is easier to define?
Part 3: Do you think doctors will be able to categorize the migraine more easily with more research?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)