|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some patients will simply seek out a _________ when they don't like the advice that they hear.
2. The later interviews with a patient should delve more deeply into the _________ of the patient so as to discern the best possible treatment.
3. Physicians, according to Sacks, often make ______ decisions based on impertinent, improper, and irresponsible interpretations.
4. Some of the things that patients see in their migraine are random ________ shapes, and some patients choose to draw them.
5. Sacks says that there are some patients who will not allow him to treat them in any other way, he will only treat patients in 'the only way they ________.'
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the polygons that migraine patients have reported seeing as a part of their auras or hallucinations?
2. What does Sacks point out as causing complications in terms of finding accurate and consistent diagnoses?
3. What affects at least ten percent of the population, so many people that they have attracted attention and curiosity since the beginning of time?
4. What happens when Sacks has a patient who will only agree to be treated with medications for their migraines?
5. What kind of patient only needs to have a few appointments with their physician each year?
6. What are two of the ways in which a person can manage their risk of migraines, according to Sacks?
7. What are the three categories of hallucinosis, according to the last section of the book?
8. Why was Lashley mostly dismissed by his contemporaries in the migraine research field, according to the last section of this book?
9. What does Sacks say is uniquely human about the experience of migraines in humans, though he does not dispute that animals can have migraines too?
10. What happens when systems are open to the environment around them, versus those systems which are closed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some people seem to be prone to migraines when they are in highly emotional situations.
Part 1: Why do you think intense emotions can cause pain?
Part 2: How do you feel when you are in intensely emotional situations? Does your health status change?
Part 3: Do you think people who respond to emotional situations with physical pain are weak?
Essay Topic 2
According to this book, there doesn't seem to be a typical migraine patient that can be easily described and defined.
Part 1: Why do you think migraines can't be easily defined?
Part 2: Do you think it's easier to treat a condition that is easier to define?
Part 3: Do you think doctors will be able to categorize the migraine more easily with more research?
Essay Topic 3
Pain is something that can change the way a person thinks and the way a person behaves in their lives.
Part 1: How do you think chronic pain affects a person in their life?
Part 2: Why do you think chronic pain needs to be treated aggressively? Or doesn't it?
Part 3: Do you think you could manage with chronic pain? Why or why not?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)