|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In some cases, all three of the possible hallucinations can be seen during a single migraine ________, according to the author.
2. Sacks describes the ________ and the passive reactions to situations in the animal world as a part of his discussion.
3. Other patients will see __________ of people or places as a part of hallucinations during a migraine attack.
4. Sacks wants to point out that there are few _________ that have any value in helping with a migraine case.
5. Sacks says that the best migraine clinic was one in which a patient was told to lie down in a darkened room with _______ and aspirin.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the correlation that Sacks discounts because of a lack of studies of migraine patients?
2. What are two of the ways in which a person can manage their risk of migraines, according to Sacks?
3. What does Sacks point out as causing complications in terms of finding accurate and consistent diagnoses?
4. Where did Ralph Siegel, PhD work when he co-authored the last chapter with Oliver Sacks, according to the footnote?
5. What are some of the typical pieces of advice which Sacks might offer to a patient who is suffering from migraines?
6. What does Sacks say becomes an important part of the study of migraines, according to this section of the book?
7. What does Sacks say is uniquely human about the experience of migraines in humans, though he does not dispute that animals can have migraines too?
8. What does Sacks have to say about patients who have to face chronic migraines in their lives?
9. How does Sacks recommend a patient with nausea deal with their medication ingestion to ensure pain relief?
10. What are some of the polygons that migraine patients have reported seeing as a part of their auras or hallucinations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, a doctor coined terms for migraines, based on what the patients looked like when they were suffering.
Part 1: Do you think medical condition names should include the appearance of the patient?
Part 2: Why do you thin Reymond decided to label migraine patients by their appearance?
Part 3: How do you think medical conditions should be labeled and named?
Essay Topic 2
Reymond is a doctor who discusses his own pain in order to help other migraine sufferers.
Part 1: Do you think that a firsthand experience is the best way to learn about a disorder?
Part 2: How do you think Reymond's condition might affect his ability to describe migraines?
Part 3: Why do you think that migraines are important to Sacks if he doesn't suffer from them?
Essay Topic 3
Migraines seem to be conditions with progressive symptoms, symptoms that come on slowly as opposed to suddenly.
Part 1: Why do you think patients are not always aware of their symptoms when they come on gradually?
Part 2: Do you think a migraine patient should be able to spot their symptoms early?
Part 3: How do you think a patient can treat gradual symptoms? Or can't they?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)