|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The need for the __________ mentality is more evident in the animal world because of the need for biological survival.
2. When a patient realizes he will have less pain when he fights off a severe attack, he is more likely to choose to undergo a brief bout of ___________.
3. Symptomatic drugs include _________, according to the treatment methods and history of Sacks.
4. There are _____ and transitional attacks of migraines which can make it difficult for a doctor or researcher to decide on a diagnosis of migraine.
5. Some researchers believe that a migraine is akin to a ________, with being a release reaction to a specific situation.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sacks point out is more needed in the animal world than in the human world?
2. What sort of person does Sacks say is someone who might actually be self-destructive or may have a desire toward self-punishment?
3. How does Sacks recommend a patient with nausea deal with their medication ingestion to ensure pain relief?
4. What sort of person would be a person who can get an aggressive migraine, according to Sacks?
5. What is the discovery that Lashely makes about the process of his own migraine scotomata?
6. What are the three categories of hallucinosis, according to the last section of the book?
7. What are the three categories of drugs that can be used in the treatment of migraines, according to Sacks?
8. What happens when Sacks has a patient who will only agree to be treated with medications for their migraines?
9. What determines the frequency with which a doctor should see their migraine patients?
10. Why do some researchers believe that manual compression will be helpful for the reduction of pain during the migraine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Migraines are at risk of being misdiagnosed, according to Sacks in the book.
Part 1: Why do you think it might be difficult to diagnose migraines in patients?
Part 2: How do you think misdiagnosis might be avoided in the treatment of migraines?
Part 3: Do you think that misdiagnosis is every completely avoidable?
Essay Topic 2
According to this book, there doesn't seem to be a typical migraine patient that can be easily described and defined.
Part 1: Why do you think migraines can't be easily defined?
Part 2: Do you think it's easier to treat a condition that is easier to define?
Part 3: Do you think doctors will be able to categorize the migraine more easily with more research?
Essay Topic 3
Pain is something that can change the way a person thinks and the way a person behaves in their lives.
Part 1: How do you think chronic pain affects a person in their life?
Part 2: Why do you think chronic pain needs to be treated aggressively? Or doesn't it?
Part 3: Do you think you could manage with chronic pain? Why or why not?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)