|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It might be necessary to adjust one's ________ in order to reduce the effects of flickering lights in one's environment.
2. Sacks points out that some drugs simply work for migraines, even though they don't have any ________ basis for this.
3. Studies fail to prove indications of a relationship between __________ causes and migraines, so Sacks does not believe this to be a valid cause.
4. Sacks says that the best migraine clinic was one in which a patient was told to lie down in a darkened room with _______ and aspirin.
5. Many of the patterns that are created are often _________, according to Sacks, which is why further research is needed.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the discovery that Lashely makes about the process of his own migraine scotomata?
2. Why do some researchers believe that manual compression will be helpful for the reduction of pain during the migraine?
3. What are two of the ways in which a person can manage their risk of migraines, according to Sacks?
4. What determines the frequency with which a doctor should see their migraine patients?
5. What does Sacks say about the possibility that animals might also experience migraines?
6. What sort of person would be a person who can get an aggressive migraine, according to Sacks?
7. What is another reason for the visual disturbances which can be seen my migraine patients?
8. What are some of the typical pieces of advice which Sacks might offer to a patient who is suffering from migraines?
9. What did Airy believe that migraine hallucinations allowed a person to do as a result of their appearance?
10. What kind of patient only needs to have a few appointments with their physician each year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, a doctor coined terms for migraines, based on what the patients looked like when they were suffering.
Part 1: Do you think medical condition names should include the appearance of the patient?
Part 2: Why do you thin Reymond decided to label migraine patients by their appearance?
Part 3: How do you think medical conditions should be labeled and named?
Essay Topic 2
Sometimes, people come up with less than conventional treatments for their pain, as described in one of the case histories of a man who used snuff to precipitate sneezing, which would make him feel better.
Part 1: Do you think that unconventional treatments are still helpful?
Part 2: Why do you think some people seek out less than conventional treatments?
Part 3: How do you feel about people who don't use medically approved treatments?
Essay Topic 3
Migraines are associated with debilitating pain, which means that patients need pain medications.
Part 1: Do you think some people fake migraines in order to get pain medications?
Part 2: How do you think migraines could be treated without pain medications? Is this possible?
Part 3: Do you think pain medication should be the only treatment for migraines?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)