|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ________ is the word traditionally associated with the sensory illusions that a migraine sufferer may experience.
2. Sacks believes that a single _________ or series of them might actually drive the entire migraine episode.
3. The ________ who was restricted from normal social activities might be suffering from migraines as a result of depression.
4. What is found in about one fourth of all patients who have migraine pains and other symptoms?
5. Sometimes the feeling of _________ is reported during the experience of a migraine, in some patients.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meaning of aura, as Sacks uses the term in this section?
2. What are the symptoms that the German physician has when he has his migraines?
3. What can be confusing about an aura's presence, according to Sacks in this book?
4. What is the common cause of migraines for younger patients, with the attack happening after instead of during the activity?
5. Why do many migraine sufferers tend to rub one side of their head when they are in the midst of a migraine?
6. What can often be a secondary factor to the migraine pain, according to the author of this book?
7. What are the classic symptoms of a migraine, according to Sacks' experience with his patients?
8. What are some of the visual sensory hallucinations that migraine patients have seen in their experiences before migraines?
9. How does Sacks propose the genetic link of migraines be tested in order to assure that environmental conditions are not the cause?
10. What sorts of migraine situations does Sacks say are rare and fairly uncommon in reference to visual hallucinations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, a doctor coined terms for migraines, based on what the patients looked like when they were suffering.
Part 1: Do you think medical condition names should include the appearance of the patient?
Part 2: Why do you thin Reymond decided to label migraine patients by their appearance?
Part 3: How do you think medical conditions should be labeled and named?
Essay Topic 2
Some believe that people with a certain 'delicacy or grace' are more prone to suffer from migraines.
Part 1: Does it seem fair to say that certain personalities might have more migraines?
Part 2: How do you think a person's personality might impact the way they are affected by pain?
Part 3: Why do you think migraines seem to affect sensitive people more?
Essay Topic 3
Migraines are at risk of being misdiagnosed, according to Sacks in the book.
Part 1: Why do you think it might be difficult to diagnose migraines in patients?
Part 2: How do you think misdiagnosis might be avoided in the treatment of migraines?
Part 3: Do you think that misdiagnosis is every completely avoidable?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)