|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. But on the other hand, some feel that those who suffer from migraines might be ____________ to suffer from allergies and motion sickness.
2. Other researchers think there might be a certain __________ or grace to those who suffer from migraines, according to their work.
3. Sensory _________ is one of the categories of aural symptoms that the patient may experience.
4. Some people, when having a migraine, might feel a distorted sense of familiarity or _____________.
5. What is found in about one fourth of all patients who have migraine pains and other symptoms?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sacks have to say are some of the causes of circumstantial migraine, according to the book?
2. What sorts of migraine situations does Sacks say are rare and fairly uncommon in reference to visual hallucinations?
3. What are the classic symptoms of a migraine, according to Sacks' experience with his patients?
4. What can be confusing about an aura's presence, according to Sacks in this book?
5. What are the five categories of aural symptoms, according to Sacks in this book?
6. What are the symptoms that the German physician has when he has his migraines?
7. What happens with the aura during a classic migraine, according to the findings of Sacks?
8. What do some researchers feel is not a cause of migraines as adults, according to Sacks' research?
9. What did the fifty-three year old female patient say characterized the start of her migraines?
10. What is the problem that Sacks has with saying that migraines can run in families?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some believe that people with a certain 'delicacy or grace' are more prone to suffer from migraines.
Part 1: Does it seem fair to say that certain personalities might have more migraines?
Part 2: How do you think a person's personality might impact the way they are affected by pain?
Part 3: Why do you think migraines seem to affect sensitive people more?
Essay Topic 2
Case histories are used to illustrate the concept of a migraine.
Part 1: Why are case histories important in medical treatment of disorders?
Part 2: Is there a case history in the book that doesn't seem to help the discussion of migraines? Why not?
Part 3: How do you think case histories might be harmful to the discussion of a condition?
Essay Topic 3
Choosing treatments for migraines may be just as painful a process as the headaches.
Part 1: How do you think a migraine treatment be chosen?
Part 2: Why do you think migraines are so difficult to treat?
Part 3: How do you think a person might feel if they try a treatment and it doesn't work as they want it to?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)