|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the ________ migraine, there are certain situations that might be present - light, sound, activities, smells, drugs, etc.
2. What did the man begin to use when he realized that sneezing might be able to relieve his migraine pain?
3. What is found in about one fourth of all patients who have migraine pains and other symptoms?
4. Some patients will describe severe __________ as the main symptom of their migraine attack, leading to a different definition of migraine.
5. With a migraine, there can be a _________ appearance to the eye, according to the description in this book.
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems do some researchers and physicians believe can happen as the result of migraines that a patient might experience?
2. What does one researcher equate the migraine with, which might be helpful in treating them?
3. What causes it to be difficult to determine the difference between migraines and epilepsy?
4. What does Sacks say there is a tendency to do with migraines which might cause problems in their study and experience?
5. What are the classic symptoms of a migraine, according to Sacks' experience with his patients?
6. What happens with the aura during a classic migraine, according to the findings of Sacks?
7. Why do many migraine sufferers tend to rub one side of their head when they are in the midst of a migraine?
8. What do some researchers feel is not a cause of migraines as adults, according to Sacks' research?
9. What are the causes of serious losses of fluids during the experience of a migraine, according to Sacks?
10. What is likely to aggravate the pain of a migraine, according to the author of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, a doctor coined terms for migraines, based on what the patients looked like when they were suffering.
Part 1: Do you think medical condition names should include the appearance of the patient?
Part 2: Why do you thin Reymond decided to label migraine patients by their appearance?
Part 3: How do you think medical conditions should be labeled and named?
Essay Topic 2
Migraines seem to be conditions with progressive symptoms, symptoms that come on slowly as opposed to suddenly.
Part 1: Why do you think patients are not always aware of their symptoms when they come on gradually?
Part 2: Do you think a migraine patient should be able to spot their symptoms early?
Part 3: How do you think a patient can treat gradual symptoms? Or can't they?
Essay Topic 3
Choosing treatments for migraines may be just as painful a process as the headaches.
Part 1: How do you think a migraine treatment be chosen?
Part 2: Why do you think migraines are so difficult to treat?
Part 3: How do you think a person might feel if they try a treatment and it doesn't work as they want it to?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)