|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is usually violent and often relegated to just one side of the head when it is present?
2. There might also be a connection, according to Sacks, between migraines and _________, as some will wake up with headaches.
3. Finally, there may be disorders of perception, __________, and memory during the course of aural symptoms.
4. The man who always _______ to end his migraine attacks had to find a new way of relieving his pain.
5. There may also be changes in the levels of __________ which can be present in the aural symptom experience.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sacks propose the genetic link of migraines be tested in order to assure that environmental conditions are not the cause?
2. What is the German physician's experience with migraines, according to the beginning of the book?
3. What did Airy believe that migraine hallucinations allowed a person to do as a result of their appearance?
4. What does Sacks have to say about the connection between family members who experience migraines?
5. What are some of the typical pieces of advice which Sacks might offer to a patient who is suffering from migraines?
6. How does Sacks recommend a patient with nausea deal with their medication ingestion to ensure pain relief?
7. What did the fifty-three year old female patient say characterized the start of her migraines?
8. What affects at least ten percent of the population, so many people that they have attracted attention and curiosity since the beginning of time?
9. What does Sacks say that all migraine patients have to fight during the experience of a migraine?
10. In the case study presented by Sacks, where does the forty-four year old man believe that he is during a hallucination?
Essay Topic 1
Pain is something that can change the way a person thinks and the way a person behaves in their lives.
Part 1: How do you think chronic pain affects a person in their life?
Part 2: Why do you think chronic pain needs to be treated aggressively? Or doesn't it?
Part 3: Do you think you could manage with chronic pain? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Migraines seem to be conditions with progressive symptoms, symptoms that come on slowly as opposed to suddenly.
Part 1: Why do you think patients are not always aware of their symptoms when they come on gradually?
Part 2: Do you think a migraine patient should be able to spot their symptoms early?
Part 3: How do you think a patient can treat gradual symptoms? Or can't they?
Essay Topic 3
Choosing treatments for migraines may be just as painful a process as the headaches.
Part 1: How do you think a migraine treatment be chosen?
Part 2: Why do you think migraines are so difficult to treat?
Part 3: How do you think a person might feel if they try a treatment and it doesn't work as they want it to?
This section contains 1,838 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)