|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The central symptoms of a migraine are described as disorders of ________ in this book.
2. When ________ happens and it is not followed by a headache, it can be confusing and misinterpreted by the person experiencing it.
3. ________ often has a derogatory connotation and may require additional discussion among researchers.
4. Parts of one's _________ might also begin to feel larger or smaller because of an aura, according to Sacks.
5. Sometimes auras can be so powerful so as to have the appearance of a __________ in some patients.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sacks say there is a tendency to do with migraines which might cause problems in their study and experience?
2. What are some of the visual sensory hallucinations that migraine patients have seen in their experiences before migraines?
3. What happens with the aura during a classic migraine, according to the findings of Sacks?
4. What are the causes of serious losses of fluids during the experience of a migraine, according to Sacks?
5. What can be confusing about an aura's presence, according to Sacks in this book?
6. What sorts of migraine situations does Sacks say are rare and fairly uncommon in reference to visual hallucinations?
7. What are the symptoms that the German physician has when he has his migraines?
8. What does Sacks decide is the cause of a woman's migraines that occur on a monthly basis?
9. What is likely to aggravate the pain of a migraine, according to the author of this book?
10. What did the fifty-three year old female patient say characterized the start of her migraines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pain is something that can change the way a person thinks and the way a person behaves in their lives.
Part 1: How do you think chronic pain affects a person in their life?
Part 2: Why do you think chronic pain needs to be treated aggressively? Or doesn't it?
Part 3: Do you think you could manage with chronic pain? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Migraines seem to be conditions with progressive symptoms, symptoms that come on slowly as opposed to suddenly.
Part 1: Why do you think patients are not always aware of their symptoms when they come on gradually?
Part 2: Do you think a migraine patient should be able to spot their symptoms early?
Part 3: How do you think a patient can treat gradual symptoms? Or can't they?
Essay Topic 3
Some people seem to be prone to migraines when they are in highly emotional situations.
Part 1: Why do you think intense emotions can cause pain?
Part 2: How do you feel when you are in intensely emotional situations? Does your health status change?
Part 3: Do you think people who respond to emotional situations with physical pain are weak?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)