|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can be impossible when the pain of a migraine is intense, according to this book?
2. Sacks pointed out that a woman's hair turned __________ on one side, the side where she would have her headaches.
3. ________ is a Chinese food additive which has been linked to many migraine cases, and in causing migraines throughout one's life.
4. Where is the physicist du Bois Reymond from, according to the descriptions in this manuscript?
5. Sacks points out that some migraines tend to present themselves as a ________, from the earliest signs to the aftereffects.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is likely to aggravate the pain of a migraine, according to the author of this book?
2. What can be confusing about an aura's presence, according to Sacks in this book?
3. What does Sacks have to say about the tendency of migraines to be a part of one's life throughout the years?
4. What causes it to be difficult to determine the difference between migraines and epilepsy?
5. What is the problem that Sacks has with saying that migraines can run in families?
6. What does Sacks say that all migraine patients have to fight during the experience of a migraine?
7. What are the five categories of aural symptoms, according to Sacks in this book?
8. What are the classic symptoms of a migraine, according to Sacks' experience with his patients?
9. What can often be a secondary factor to the migraine pain, according to the author of this book?
10. What is the common cause of migraines for younger patients, with the attack happening after instead of during the activity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to this book, there doesn't seem to be a typical migraine patient that can be easily described and defined.
Part 1: Why do you think migraines can't be easily defined?
Part 2: Do you think it's easier to treat a condition that is easier to define?
Part 3: Do you think doctors will be able to categorize the migraine more easily with more research?
Essay Topic 2
Pain is something that can change the way a person thinks and the way a person behaves in their lives.
Part 1: How do you think chronic pain affects a person in their life?
Part 2: Why do you think chronic pain needs to be treated aggressively? Or doesn't it?
Part 3: Do you think you could manage with chronic pain? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Migraines are associated with debilitating pain, which means that patients need pain medications.
Part 1: Do you think some people fake migraines in order to get pain medications?
Part 2: How do you think migraines could be treated without pain medications? Is this possible?
Part 3: Do you think pain medication should be the only treatment for migraines?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)