|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sometimes the feeling of _________ is reported during the experience of a migraine, in some patients.
2. What may or may not continue as a result of the pain of a migraine increasing or continuing?
3. What is found in about one fourth of all patients who have migraine pains and other symptoms?
4. One case study of a man with headaches points out that he doesn't like to discuss his feelings of __________ as they are related to his migraines.
5. Unusual __________ occur in about one tenth of patients, according to the descriptions in the book.
Short Essay Questions
1. What sorts of migraine situations does Sacks say are rare and fairly uncommon in reference to visual hallucinations?
2. What is something that Sacks has never seen, but he has heard of in relation to the aura before a migraine?
3. What is the problem that Sacks has with saying that migraines can run in families?
4. What are the classic symptoms of a migraine, according to Sacks' experience with his patients?
5. What are some of the visual sensory hallucinations that migraine patients have seen in their experiences before migraines?
6. What do some researchers feel is not a cause of migraines as adults, according to Sacks' research?
7. What does Sacks say that all migraine patients have to fight during the experience of a migraine?
8. What is the common cause of migraines for younger patients, with the attack happening after instead of during the activity?
9. How does Sacks propose the genetic link of migraines be tested in order to assure that environmental conditions are not the cause?
10. In the case study presented by Sacks, where does the forty-four year old man believe that he is during a hallucination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some believe that people with a certain 'delicacy or grace' are more prone to suffer from migraines.
Part 1: Does it seem fair to say that certain personalities might have more migraines?
Part 2: How do you think a person's personality might impact the way they are affected by pain?
Part 3: Why do you think migraines seem to affect sensitive people more?
Essay Topic 2
For many people, the idea of a migraine is something they might not ever experience, so this book might be difficult to understand.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for a book about migraines to be written?
Part 2: Do you think that people who don't suffer from migraines will benefit from this book?
Part 3: How do you think migraine sufferers can benefit from this book?
Essay Topic 3
Pain is something that can change the way a person thinks and the way a person behaves in their lives.
Part 1: How do you think chronic pain affects a person in their life?
Part 2: Why do you think chronic pain needs to be treated aggressively? Or doesn't it?
Part 3: Do you think you could manage with chronic pain? Why or why not?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)