|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ________ is the word traditionally associated with the sensory illusions that a migraine sufferer may experience.
2. Some people will have troubles understanding __________ as a result of an aura which precedes a migraine.
3. Sacks says that _________ may prompt a migraine or might be a part of the unit of the overall event.
4. There is a tendency in migraines to have __________ connections, according to the findings of Sacks.
5. Some patients will describe severe __________ as the main symptom of their migraine attack, leading to a different definition of migraine.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does one researcher equate the migraine with, which might be helpful in treating them?
2. What does Sacks say that all migraine patients have to fight during the experience of a migraine?
3. What does Sacks have to say are some of the causes of circumstantial migraine, according to the book?
4. What are the five categories of aural symptoms, according to Sacks in this book?
5. What are the classic symptoms of a migraine, according to Sacks' experience with his patients?
6. What does Sacks have to say about the tendency of migraines to be a part of one's life throughout the years?
7. What is the common cause of migraines for younger patients, with the attack happening after instead of during the activity?
8. Why do many migraine sufferers tend to rub one side of their head when they are in the midst of a migraine?
9. What are some of the visual sensory hallucinations that migraine patients have seen in their experiences before migraines?
10. What is something that Sacks has never seen, but he has heard of in relation to the aura before a migraine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choosing treatments for migraines may be just as painful a process as the headaches.
Part 1: How do you think a migraine treatment be chosen?
Part 2: Why do you think migraines are so difficult to treat?
Part 3: How do you think a person might feel if they try a treatment and it doesn't work as they want it to?
Essay Topic 2
Pain is something that can change the way a person thinks and the way a person behaves in their lives.
Part 1: How do you think chronic pain affects a person in their life?
Part 2: Why do you think chronic pain needs to be treated aggressively? Or doesn't it?
Part 3: Do you think you could manage with chronic pain? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Doctors don't seem to be able to point out just one cause for a migraine, making treatment all the more difficult.
Part 1: Why do you think it's difficult to diagnose the cause of migraines?
Part 2: How do you think research could be changed to find the causes of migraines?
Part 3: Do you think there is one single cause of migraines? Why or why not?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)