|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There may also be changes in the levels of __________ which can be present in the aural symptom experience.
2. One patient believes there are small _________ in the room with him, even when there are not.
3. What is NOT one of the things that are listed in the possible visual sensory hallucinations that one might experience?
4. One man experienced a ________ sensation in his left foot during the course of a migraine.
5. Some people ascribe to the idea that a migraine may just be a/an ___________ reaction to the rest of the world.
Short Essay Questions
1. What can be confusing about an aura's presence, according to Sacks in this book?
2. What does Sacks have to say are some of the causes of circumstantial migraine, according to the book?
3. What does one researcher equate the migraine with, which might be helpful in treating them?
4. What does Sacks say that all migraine patients have to fight during the experience of a migraine?
5. What is something that Sacks has never seen, but he has heard of in relation to the aura before a migraine?
6. What are some of the visual sensory hallucinations that migraine patients have seen in their experiences before migraines?
7. What do some researchers feel is not a cause of migraines as adults, according to Sacks' research?
8. What are the two terms that Reymond used to describe the way a migraine can change the appearance of a migraine patient?
9. What causes it to be difficult to determine the difference between migraines and epilepsy?
10. What problems do some researchers and physicians believe can happen as the result of migraines that a patient might experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, a doctor coined terms for migraines, based on what the patients looked like when they were suffering.
Part 1: Do you think medical condition names should include the appearance of the patient?
Part 2: Why do you thin Reymond decided to label migraine patients by their appearance?
Part 3: How do you think medical conditions should be labeled and named?
Essay Topic 2
According to this book, there doesn't seem to be a typical migraine patient that can be easily described and defined.
Part 1: Why do you think migraines can't be easily defined?
Part 2: Do you think it's easier to treat a condition that is easier to define?
Part 3: Do you think doctors will be able to categorize the migraine more easily with more research?
Essay Topic 3
Some believe that people with a certain 'delicacy or grace' are more prone to suffer from migraines.
Part 1: Does it seem fair to say that certain personalities might have more migraines?
Part 2: How do you think a person's personality might impact the way they are affected by pain?
Part 3: Why do you think migraines seem to affect sensitive people more?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)