|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There is substantial evidence that there may be a _______________ between migraines and those who suffer from epileptic seizures.
2. What happens to Reymond every three to four weeks, according to the notes of Sacks in the beginning of this book?
3. The woman that the man thought he was talking to was _______, while it was actually his secretary.
4. _________ also seems to be related to migraines, though it is thought to not be causally related, according to most researchers.
5. Migraines and seizures are linked on both a _________ and genetic basis, according to Sacks in this book.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the German physician's experience with migraines, according to the beginning of the book?
2. What problems do some researchers and physicians believe can happen as the result of migraines that a patient might experience?
3. What are the causes of serious losses of fluids during the experience of a migraine, according to Sacks?
4. What does Sacks have to say are some of the causes of circumstantial migraine, according to the book?
5. What is likely to aggravate the pain of a migraine, according to the author of this book?
6. What did the fifty-three year old female patient say characterized the start of her migraines?
7. What is the meaning of aura, as Sacks uses the term in this section?
8. What causes it to be difficult to determine the difference between migraines and epilepsy?
9. What does one researcher equate the migraine with, which might be helpful in treating them?
10. What do some researchers feel is not a cause of migraines as adults, according to Sacks' research?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacks notes that some migraine sufferers have them early in life, but then the pain tapers off.
Part 1: Why do you think migraines might taper off as one gets older?
Part 2: How do you think a patient should look at the possibility that their migraines might go away someday?
Part 3: Do you think it's fair to tell a patient that they just need to wait out their migraine pain?
Essay Topic 2
At one point, a doctor coined terms for migraines, based on what the patients looked like when they were suffering.
Part 1: Do you think medical condition names should include the appearance of the patient?
Part 2: Why do you thin Reymond decided to label migraine patients by their appearance?
Part 3: How do you think medical conditions should be labeled and named?
Essay Topic 3
Migraines seem to be conditions with progressive symptoms, symptoms that come on slowly as opposed to suddenly.
Part 1: Why do you think patients are not always aware of their symptoms when they come on gradually?
Part 2: Do you think a migraine patient should be able to spot their symptoms early?
Part 3: How do you think a patient can treat gradual symptoms? Or can't they?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)