|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sacks has found the the cause of some monthly migraines for women might be the result of a new ____________ regimen.
2. Some people, when having a migraine, might feel a distorted sense of familiarity or _____________.
3. Some migraine patients may also hear noises, such as a low growl or a _________ as a part of their hallucinations.
4. Sometimes auras can be so powerful so as to have the appearance of a __________ in some patients.
5. What did the man begin to use when he realized that sneezing might be able to relieve his migraine pain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the five categories of aural symptoms, according to Sacks in this book?
2. What are the symptoms that the German physician has when he has his migraines?
3. What are the classic symptoms of a migraine, according to Sacks' experience with his patients?
4. What can often be a secondary factor to the migraine pain, according to the author of this book?
5. What are some of the visual sensory hallucinations that migraine patients have seen in their experiences before migraines?
6. What problems do some researchers and physicians believe can happen as the result of migraines that a patient might experience?
7. What is likely to aggravate the pain of a migraine, according to the author of this book?
8. What is the common cause of migraines for younger patients, with the attack happening after instead of during the activity?
9. What is the German physician's experience with migraines, according to the beginning of the book?
10. What does Sacks say there is a tendency to do with migraines which might cause problems in their study and experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Migraines are at risk of being misdiagnosed, according to Sacks in the book.
Part 1: Why do you think it might be difficult to diagnose migraines in patients?
Part 2: How do you think misdiagnosis might be avoided in the treatment of migraines?
Part 3: Do you think that misdiagnosis is every completely avoidable?
Essay Topic 2
At one point, a doctor coined terms for migraines, based on what the patients looked like when they were suffering.
Part 1: Do you think medical condition names should include the appearance of the patient?
Part 2: Why do you thin Reymond decided to label migraine patients by their appearance?
Part 3: How do you think medical conditions should be labeled and named?
Essay Topic 3
Migraines seem to be conditions with progressive symptoms, symptoms that come on slowly as opposed to suddenly.
Part 1: Why do you think patients are not always aware of their symptoms when they come on gradually?
Part 2: Do you think a migraine patient should be able to spot their symptoms early?
Part 3: How do you think a patient can treat gradual symptoms? Or can't they?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)