|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The symptoms of a migraine, as described in this chapter, include a feeling of _______ as well as the classic symptoms of migraine which are present in this section.
2. The general rule for __________ is that they are present early in life and then they tend to taper off in time.
3. Changes in the sensory __________ are another possible part of the aural symptoms, according to Sacks.
4. Poor or unusual _______ conditions have also been blamed for migraines though that might only be a part of the issue.
5. In the ________ migraine, there are certain situations that might be present - light, sound, activities, smells, drugs, etc.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does one researcher equate the migraine with, which might be helpful in treating them?
2. What is something that Sacks has never seen, but he has heard of in relation to the aura before a migraine?
3. Why do many migraine sufferers tend to rub one side of their head when they are in the midst of a migraine?
4. What does Sacks say there is a tendency to do with migraines which might cause problems in their study and experience?
5. What are the causes of serious losses of fluids during the experience of a migraine, according to Sacks?
6. What is the German physician's experience with migraines, according to the beginning of the book?
7. What problems do some researchers and physicians believe can happen as the result of migraines that a patient might experience?
8. What are the two terms that Reymond used to describe the way a migraine can change the appearance of a migraine patient?
9. What are some of the visual sensory hallucinations that migraine patients have seen in their experiences before migraines?
10. What are the symptoms that the German physician has when he has his migraines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacks points out that the idea of a migraine can make a person feel disordered in their life.
Part 1: Do you think that migraines are disorders? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think a person's life is affected by migraine headaches?
Part 3: Why do you think disorder might not be an applicable descriptor for migraine sufferers?
Essay Topic 2
Some migraine sufferers seem to have hallucinations before they have the migraine symptoms.
Part 1: What do the hallucinations tell a person about the cause of the migraine?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if you were to have hallucinations suddenly?
Part 3: Do you think it's easy to determine that you are having a hallucination?
Essay Topic 3
Some believe that people with a certain 'delicacy or grace' are more prone to suffer from migraines.
Part 1: Does it seem fair to say that certain personalities might have more migraines?
Part 2: How do you think a person's personality might impact the way they are affected by pain?
Part 3: Why do you think migraines seem to affect sensitive people more?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)