|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What might alleviate the pain of a migraine in some patients, while this might also make the pain more severe for some patients?
2. Sacks is just not sure if ____________ or genetics are more of a cause for the migraines which seem to take place in families.
3. What is always present to some degree, even if it varies from one migraine case to another?
4. _________ also seems to be related to migraines, though it is thought to not be causally related, according to most researchers.
5. Some researchers actually believe that migraines make a person __________ to other diseases and to other conditions.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Lashley mostly dismissed by his contemporaries in the migraine research field, according to the last section of this book?
2. What happens when systems are open to the environment around them, versus those systems which are closed?
3. What does Sacks say that all migraine patients have to fight during the experience of a migraine?
4. What determines the frequency with which a doctor should see their migraine patients?
5. What does Sacks say is uniquely human about the experience of migraines in humans, though he does not dispute that animals can have migraines too?
6. What sort of person does Sacks say is someone who might actually be self-destructive or may have a desire toward self-punishment?
7. What does Sacks say there is a tendency to do with migraines which might cause problems in their study and experience?
8. What is the German physician's experience with migraines, according to the beginning of the book?
9. What does Sacks decide is the cause of a woman's migraines that occur on a monthly basis?
10. What did the fifty-three year old female patient say characterized the start of her migraines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pain is something that can change the way a person thinks and the way a person behaves in their lives.
Part 1: How do you think chronic pain affects a person in their life?
Part 2: Why do you think chronic pain needs to be treated aggressively? Or doesn't it?
Part 3: Do you think you could manage with chronic pain? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Migraines are conditions that can impact a person for their entire life, without a cure in many cases.
Part 1: Why do you think that migraines impact a person's life so much?
Part 2: Do you think you could manage a condition that has no cure?
Part 3: How do you think a person changes when they have so much pain in their life?
Essay Topic 3
Choosing treatments for migraines may be just as painful a process as the headaches.
Part 1: How do you think a migraine treatment be chosen?
Part 2: Why do you think migraines are so difficult to treat?
Part 3: How do you think a person might feel if they try a treatment and it doesn't work as they want it to?
This section contains 1,831 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)