Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the things that are listed in the possible visual sensory hallucinations that one might experience?
2. What happens to Reymond every three to four weeks, according to the notes of Sacks in the beginning of this book?
3. But on the other hand, some feel that those who suffer from migraines might be ____________ to suffer from allergies and motion sickness.
4. Most patients, it seems, have an irresistible urge to _________ when they are suffering from a migraine, according to the studies in this book.
5. The ________ who was restricted from normal social activities might be suffering from migraines as a result of depression.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the causes of serious losses of fluids during the experience of a migraine, according to Sacks?
2. What are two of the ways in which a person can manage their risk of migraines, according to Sacks?
3. What is something that Sacks has never seen, but he has heard of in relation to the aura before a migraine?
4. What can happen with a geometrical ornamental structure, according to Fluver in this section?
5. Where did Ralph Siegel, PhD work when he co-authored the last chapter with Oliver Sacks, according to the footnote?
6. What is the correlation that Sacks discounts because of a lack of studies of migraine patients?
7. What does Sacks say that all migraine patients have to fight during the experience of a migraine?
8. What affects at least ten percent of the population, so many people that they have attracted attention and curiosity since the beginning of time?
9. What did Airy believe that migraine hallucinations allowed a person to do as a result of their appearance?
10. What does Sacks see as happening with patients who are treated by physicians who make hasty decisions for their patients?
Essay Topic 1
Some people seem to be prone to migraines when they are in highly emotional situations.
Part 1: Why do you think intense emotions can cause pain?
Part 2: How do you feel when you are in intensely emotional situations? Does your health status change?
Part 3: Do you think people who respond to emotional situations with physical pain are weak?
Essay Topic 2
Migraines seem to be conditions with progressive symptoms, symptoms that come on slowly as opposed to suddenly.
Part 1: Why do you think patients are not always aware of their symptoms when they come on gradually?
Part 2: Do you think a migraine patient should be able to spot their symptoms early?
Part 3: How do you think a patient can treat gradual symptoms? Or can't they?
Essay Topic 3
Migraines are conditions that can impact a person for their entire life, without a cure in many cases.
Part 1: Why do you think that migraines impact a person's life so much?
Part 2: Do you think you could manage a condition that has no cure?
Part 3: How do you think a person changes when they have so much pain in their life?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)