|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sacks says there is no way to predict every stage of a migraine as the migraine is, by definition, __________ in nature.
2. Some patients will describe severe __________ as the main symptom of their migraine attack, leading to a different definition of migraine.
3. Poor or unusual _______ conditions have also been blamed for migraines though that might only be a part of the issue.
4. Those who have ________ migraines are often those who are prone to blushing in their everyday lives.
5. Some researchers actually believe that migraines make a person __________ to other diseases and to other conditions.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is something that Sacks has never seen, but he has heard of in relation to the aura before a migraine?
2. What are the symptoms that the German physician has when he has his migraines?
3. Why do many migraine sufferers tend to rub one side of their head when they are in the midst of a migraine?
4. What is the German physician's experience with migraines, according to the beginning of the book?
5. What are the five categories of aural symptoms, according to Sacks in this book?
6. What are the two terms that Reymond used to describe the way a migraine can change the appearance of a migraine patient?
7. What are some of the visual sensory hallucinations that migraine patients have seen in their experiences before migraines?
8. What does Sacks have to say are some of the causes of circumstantial migraine, according to the book?
9. What does Sacks say there is a tendency to do with migraines which might cause problems in their study and experience?
10. What is the common cause of migraines for younger patients, with the attack happening after instead of during the activity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Migraines are at risk of being misdiagnosed, according to Sacks in the book.
Part 1: Why do you think it might be difficult to diagnose migraines in patients?
Part 2: How do you think misdiagnosis might be avoided in the treatment of migraines?
Part 3: Do you think that misdiagnosis is every completely avoidable?
Essay Topic 2
At one point, a doctor coined terms for migraines, based on what the patients looked like when they were suffering.
Part 1: Do you think medical condition names should include the appearance of the patient?
Part 2: Why do you thin Reymond decided to label migraine patients by their appearance?
Part 3: How do you think medical conditions should be labeled and named?
Essay Topic 3
Migraines seem to be conditions with progressive symptoms, symptoms that come on slowly as opposed to suddenly.
Part 1: Why do you think patients are not always aware of their symptoms when they come on gradually?
Part 2: Do you think a migraine patient should be able to spot their symptoms early?
Part 3: How do you think a patient can treat gradual symptoms? Or can't they?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)