|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Changes in the sensory __________ are another possible part of the aural symptoms, according to Sacks.
2. One case study of a man with headaches points out that he doesn't like to discuss his feelings of __________ as they are related to his migraines.
3. What happens to Reymond every three to four weeks, according to the notes of Sacks in the beginning of this book?
4. Some patients will describe severe __________ as the main symptom of their migraine attack, leading to a different definition of migraine.
5. The combination of _________ in the case of the woman with the impotent husband and the delinquent child might cause her headaches.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when systems are open to the environment around them, versus those systems which are closed?
2. What affects at least ten percent of the population, so many people that they have attracted attention and curiosity since the beginning of time?
3. What do some researchers feel is not a cause of migraines as adults, according to Sacks' research?
4. What kind of patient only needs to have a few appointments with their physician each year?
5. What are the three categories of hallucinosis, according to the last section of the book?
6. Where did Ralph Siegel, PhD work when he co-authored the last chapter with Oliver Sacks, according to the footnote?
7. What does Sacks see as happening with patients who are treated by physicians who make hasty decisions for their patients?
8. What does Sacks decide is the cause of a woman's migraines that occur on a monthly basis?
9. What does Sacks have to say about patients who have to face chronic migraines in their lives?
10. How does Sacks propose the genetic link of migraines be tested in order to assure that environmental conditions are not the cause?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The many symptoms associated with migraines seem to make them difficult to diagnose.
Part 1: Why do you think doctors associate so many symptoms with migraines?
Part 2: How do you think doctors work to diagnose a condition?
Part 3: Do you think that everyone with migraine symptoms is actually suffering from migraines?
Essay Topic 2
Some migraine sufferers seem to have hallucinations before they have the migraine symptoms.
Part 1: What do the hallucinations tell a person about the cause of the migraine?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if you were to have hallucinations suddenly?
Part 3: Do you think it's easy to determine that you are having a hallucination?
Essay Topic 3
Pain is something that can change the way a person thinks and the way a person behaves in their lives.
Part 1: How do you think chronic pain affects a person in their life?
Part 2: Why do you think chronic pain needs to be treated aggressively? Or doesn't it?
Part 3: Do you think you could manage with chronic pain? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,872 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)