|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The symptoms of a migraine, as described in this chapter, include a feeling of _______ as well as the classic symptoms of migraine which are present in this section.
2. There is a tendency in migraines to have __________ connections, according to the findings of Sacks.
3. Sacks says there is no way to predict every stage of a migraine as the migraine is, by definition, __________ in nature.
4. Sacks pointed out that a woman's hair turned __________ on one side, the side where she would have her headaches.
5. The combination of _________ in the case of the woman with the impotent husband and the delinquent child might cause her headaches.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sacks say that all migraine patients have to fight during the experience of a migraine?
2. What does Sacks decide is the cause of a woman's migraines that occur on a monthly basis?
3. What can be confusing about an aura's presence, according to Sacks in this book?
4. Why do many migraine sufferers tend to rub one side of their head when they are in the midst of a migraine?
5. What does Sacks have to say about the tendency of migraines to be a part of one's life throughout the years?
6. What is something that Sacks has never seen, but he has heard of in relation to the aura before a migraine?
7. What is the German physician's experience with migraines, according to the beginning of the book?
8. What does Sacks say there is a tendency to do with migraines which might cause problems in their study and experience?
9. What causes it to be difficult to determine the difference between migraines and epilepsy?
10. What are the causes of serious losses of fluids during the experience of a migraine, according to Sacks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Migraines are associated with debilitating pain, which means that patients need pain medications.
Part 1: Do you think some people fake migraines in order to get pain medications?
Part 2: How do you think migraines could be treated without pain medications? Is this possible?
Part 3: Do you think pain medication should be the only treatment for migraines?
Essay Topic 2
Reymond is a doctor who discusses his own pain in order to help other migraine sufferers.
Part 1: Do you think that a firsthand experience is the best way to learn about a disorder?
Part 2: How do you think Reymond's condition might affect his ability to describe migraines?
Part 3: Why do you think that migraines are important to Sacks if he doesn't suffer from them?
Essay Topic 3
Doctors don't seem to be able to point out just one cause for a migraine, making treatment all the more difficult.
Part 1: Why do you think it's difficult to diagnose the cause of migraines?
Part 2: How do you think research could be changed to find the causes of migraines?
Part 3: Do you think there is one single cause of migraines? Why or why not?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)