|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ________ is the word traditionally associated with the sensory illusions that a migraine sufferer may experience.
2. With a migraine, there can be a _________ appearance to the eye, according to the description in this book.
3. But on the other hand, some feel that those who suffer from migraines might be ____________ to suffer from allergies and motion sickness.
4. What is NOT one of the things that are listed in the possible visual sensory hallucinations that one might experience?
5. What might alleviate the pain of a migraine in some patients, while this might also make the pain more severe for some patients?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sacks have to say are some of the causes of circumstantial migraine, according to the book?
2. What does one researcher equate the migraine with, which might be helpful in treating them?
3. What are the classic symptoms of a migraine, according to Sacks' experience with his patients?
4. What does Sacks have to say about the tendency of migraines to be a part of one's life throughout the years?
5. What is the common cause of migraines for younger patients, with the attack happening after instead of during the activity?
6. What does Sacks have to say about the connection between family members who experience migraines?
7. What causes it to be difficult to determine the difference between migraines and epilepsy?
8. How does Sacks propose the genetic link of migraines be tested in order to assure that environmental conditions are not the cause?
9. What does Sacks say that all migraine patients have to fight during the experience of a migraine?
10. What problems do some researchers and physicians believe can happen as the result of migraines that a patient might experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, a doctor coined terms for migraines, based on what the patients looked like when they were suffering.
Part 1: Do you think medical condition names should include the appearance of the patient?
Part 2: Why do you thin Reymond decided to label migraine patients by their appearance?
Part 3: How do you think medical conditions should be labeled and named?
Essay Topic 2
Reymond is a doctor who discusses his own pain in order to help other migraine sufferers.
Part 1: Do you think that a firsthand experience is the best way to learn about a disorder?
Part 2: How do you think Reymond's condition might affect his ability to describe migraines?
Part 3: Why do you think that migraines are important to Sacks if he doesn't suffer from them?
Essay Topic 3
Sacks believes that some people are predisposed to migraines, which makes them more likely to experience that pain.
Part 1: Why do you think some people are predisposed to migraines?
Part 2: Do you think you would be upset to find out that you were genetically predisposed to migraines?
Part 3: Does knowing that genetics cause migraines make them any easier to manage?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)