|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is caused by the arterial pulses and pressure on the affected artery can help during a migraine?
2. The woman that the man thought he was talking to was _______, while it was actually his secretary.
3. There is a tendency in migraines to have __________ connections, according to the findings of Sacks.
4. Some people ascribe to the idea that a migraine may just be a/an ___________ reaction to the rest of the world.
5. The ________ is the word traditionally associated with the sensory illusions that a migraine sufferer may experience.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meaning of aura, as Sacks uses the term in this section?
2. What does one researcher equate the migraine with, which might be helpful in treating them?
3. In the case study presented by Sacks, where does the forty-four year old man believe that he is during a hallucination?
4. What is the German physician's experience with migraines, according to the beginning of the book?
5. What are the causes of serious losses of fluids during the experience of a migraine, according to Sacks?
6. What causes it to be difficult to determine the difference between migraines and epilepsy?
7. What is likely to aggravate the pain of a migraine, according to the author of this book?
8. What sorts of migraine situations does Sacks say are rare and fairly uncommon in reference to visual hallucinations?
9. What does Sacks say that all migraine patients have to fight during the experience of a migraine?
10. What is the common cause of migraines for younger patients, with the attack happening after instead of during the activity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacks points out that the idea of a migraine can make a person feel disordered in their life.
Part 1: Do you think that migraines are disorders? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think a person's life is affected by migraine headaches?
Part 3: Why do you think disorder might not be an applicable descriptor for migraine sufferers?
Essay Topic 2
Some believe that people with a certain 'delicacy or grace' are more prone to suffer from migraines.
Part 1: Does it seem fair to say that certain personalities might have more migraines?
Part 2: How do you think a person's personality might impact the way they are affected by pain?
Part 3: Why do you think migraines seem to affect sensitive people more?
Essay Topic 3
Sometimes, people come up with less than conventional treatments for their pain, as described in one of the case histories of a man who used snuff to precipitate sneezing, which would make him feel better.
Part 1: Do you think that unconventional treatments are still helpful?
Part 2: Why do you think some people seek out less than conventional treatments?
Part 3: How do you feel about people who don't use medically approved treatments?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)