|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The central symptoms of a migraine are described as disorders of ________ in this book.
2. How many areas of aural symptoms does Sacks point out to be the case for most patients?
3. There might also be a connection, according to Sacks, between migraines and _________, as some will wake up with headaches.
4. What can be impossible when the pain of a migraine is intense, according to this book?
5. One woman was described as being ____________, though her symptoms were actually more a part of a migraine.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the common cause of migraines for younger patients, with the attack happening after instead of during the activity?
2. What happens with the aura during a classic migraine, according to the findings of Sacks?
3. What problems do some researchers and physicians believe can happen as the result of migraines that a patient might experience?
4. What causes it to be difficult to determine the difference between migraines and epilepsy?
5. What does Sacks have to say are some of the causes of circumstantial migraine, according to the book?
6. What is the German physician's experience with migraines, according to the beginning of the book?
7. What is the meaning of aura, as Sacks uses the term in this section?
8. What is likely to aggravate the pain of a migraine, according to the author of this book?
9. What does Sacks have to say about the connection between family members who experience migraines?
10. What does Sacks say there is a tendency to do with migraines which might cause problems in their study and experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, a doctor coined terms for migraines, based on what the patients looked like when they were suffering.
Part 1: Do you think medical condition names should include the appearance of the patient?
Part 2: Why do you thin Reymond decided to label migraine patients by their appearance?
Part 3: How do you think medical conditions should be labeled and named?
Essay Topic 2
Pain is something that can change the way a person thinks and the way a person behaves in their lives.
Part 1: How do you think chronic pain affects a person in their life?
Part 2: Why do you think chronic pain needs to be treated aggressively? Or doesn't it?
Part 3: Do you think you could manage with chronic pain? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Some migraine sufferers seem to have hallucinations before they have the migraine symptoms.
Part 1: What do the hallucinations tell a person about the cause of the migraine?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if you were to have hallucinations suddenly?
Part 3: Do you think it's easy to determine that you are having a hallucination?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)