|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A _________ migraine may be nothing more than a reaction to the rage that a patient is feeling, which can lead to pain.
2. The medical _________ in this section of the book might be overwhelming to some readers.
3. Sacks points out that many doctors and patients are still looking for the _____________ to help with migraine pain management.
(a) Wonder drug.
(b) Best environment.
(c) Right book.
(d) Wonder regimen.
4. As a result of older theories, the practice of __________ became quite popular to help those who were suffering from migraines.
(a) Pain medication.
(b) Blood letting.
(d) Hanging upside down.
5. Sacks says that the best migraine clinic was one in which a patient was told to lie down in a darkened room with _______ and aspirin.
6. Another of the medical deterrents to treating a migraine is aimed at the emotional ______ where this is considered to be a primary source of migraines.
7. Physicians, according to Sacks, often make ______ decisions based on impertinent, improper, and irresponsible interpretations.
8. Studies fail to prove indications of a relationship between __________ causes and migraines, so Sacks does not believe this to be a valid cause.
(c) Strength training.
(d) Electrical correlation.
9. Sacks uses the analogy of ________ to try to explain what he means by the way that migraines are never typical.
10. In some cases, all three of the possible hallucinations can be seen during a single migraine ________, according to the author.
11. When a patient realizes he will have less pain when he fights off a severe attack, he is more likely to choose to undergo a brief bout of ___________.
(a) Serious pain.
12. The advice that Sacks gives patients, as referenced in #125, has been around since the time of __________, according to the author.
13. Sometimes, ______ management strategies are necessary in order to prevent and to manage migraines, according to Sacks.
14. Some patients can respond to _________ as many migraines are sensitive to suggestion during the episode.
15. The reaction to a migraine does not need to be uniquely _________, according to the way Sacks feels about the subject.
Short Answer Questions
1. A drug may need to be taken ________ if there is severe vomiting present during a migraine episode.
2. Some doctors have tried _________ which Sacks believes to be grossly fraudulent or mutilating.
3. Sacks has said that migraines can be both _____ and acquired, making them difficult to diagnose and to treat.
4. The need for the __________ mentality is more evident in the animal world because of the need for biological survival.
5. Sacks does not believe there is a connection with _________ being a part of the chemical reaction that takes place during a headache.
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)