|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The man with an extreme aura seems to think he is in _________ when he is actually in New York.
2. What kinds of headaches might wake up a patient in the middle of the night, according to studies?
3. Some people, when having a migraine, might feel a distorted sense of familiarity or _____________.
4. Sometimes the feeling of _________ is reported during the experience of a migraine, in some patients.
5. Finally, there may be disorders of perception, __________, and memory during the course of aural symptoms.
6. But on the other hand, some feel that those who suffer from migraines might be ____________ to suffer from allergies and motion sickness.
(a) More likely.
(b) Just as likely.
(c) Less likely.
7. Sacks does point out in this section that many people believe that migraines are _______________ in nature.
8. One patient believes there are small _________ in the room with him, even when there are not.
9. Where is the physicist du Bois Reymond from, according to the descriptions in this manuscript?
10. When ________ happens and it is not followed by a headache, it can be confusing and misinterpreted by the person experiencing it.
(a) A pain.
(c) An aura.
(d) A dream.
11. What do many patients notice about the pain they might feel when they are experiencing a migraine?
(a) It's spotty.
(b) It's always on one side.
(c) It doesn't go away.
(d) It's dull.
12. Migraines and seizures are linked on both a _________ and genetic basis, according to Sacks in this book.
13. Sacks pointed out that a woman's hair turned __________ on one side, the side where she would have her headaches.
14. Sacks does think there may be a link between having ________ and cyclical vomiting as a child and migraines.
(a) Motion sickness.
(b) Foster parents.
(c) Processed foods.
15. What does the answer to #31 typically precede, according to previous case studies in Sacks' research?
(a) Epileptic seizures.
(d) Heart attacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Those who have ________ migraines are often those who are prone to blushing in their everyday lives.
2. What may or may not continue as a result of the pain of a migraine increasing or continuing?
3. Poor or unusual _______ conditions have also been blamed for migraines though that might only be a part of the issue.
4. Some researchers actually believe that migraines make a person __________ to other diseases and to other conditions.
5. Sacks says there is no way to predict every stage of a migraine as the migraine is, by definition, __________ in nature.
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)