|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT one of the things that are listed in the possible visual sensory hallucinations that one might experience?
(b) Flashing lights.
(d) Geometric figures.
2. There is a tendency in migraines to have __________ connections, according to the findings of Sacks.
3. In the ________ migraine, there are certain situations that might be present - light, sound, activities, smells, drugs, etc.
4. ________ often has a derogatory connotation and may require additional discussion among researchers.
5. Some hallucinations in migraine patients might give a person a sense of __________ for no apparent reason.
6. Changes in the sensory __________ are another possible part of the aural symptoms, according to Sacks.
7. Sacks has found the the cause of some monthly migraines for women might be the result of a new ____________ regimen.
(a) Hormone treatment.
8. One man experienced a ________ sensation in his left foot during the course of a migraine.
9. The man with an extreme aura seems to think he is in _________ when he is actually in New York.
10. Sacks says that the only way to test the family connection theory of migraines is to see if a child with migraines in his family develops migraines when living with a ____________.
(a) Foster family.
(c) New puppy.
(d) High pressure house.
11. There may also be changes in ________ as a result of an aura, according to Sacks in this section of the book.
12. Sacks notes that those who suffer from _________ migraines experience the onset of an attack at fairly regular periods though the times vary from one patient to another.
13. Some people will continue on with their lives during a migraine, though they will still contend with __________ at some point.
14. Some patients will describe severe __________ as the main symptom of their migraine attack, leading to a different definition of migraine.
(b) Family troubles.
(c) Head pain.
(d) Abdominal pain.
15. The woman that the man thought he was talking to was _______, while it was actually his secretary.
(a) His wife.
(b) His boss.
(c) His brother.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sometimes auras can be so powerful so as to have the appearance of a __________ in some patients.
2. What is caused by the arterial pulses and pressure on the affected artery can help during a migraine?
3. Sacks believes that a single _________ or series of them might actually drive the entire migraine episode.
4. The woman then began to feel an irresistible urge to _________, which then served as a warning for her migraines.
5. The ________ is the word traditionally associated with the sensory illusions that a migraine sufferer may experience.
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)