|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sacks pointed out that a woman's hair turned __________ on one side, the side where she would have her headaches.
2. Sacks points out that some migraines tend to present themselves as a ________, from the earliest signs to the aftereffects.
3. What does the answer to #31 typically precede, according to previous case studies in Sacks' research?
(c) Epileptic seizures.
(d) Heart attacks.
4. What do many patients notice about the pain they might feel when they are experiencing a migraine?
(a) It's dull.
(b) It doesn't go away.
(c) It's spotty.
(d) It's always on one side.
5. ________ often has a derogatory connotation and may require additional discussion among researchers.
6. One woman was described as being ____________, though her symptoms were actually more a part of a migraine.
7. Changes in the sensory __________ are another possible part of the aural symptoms, according to Sacks.
8. What might alleviate the pain of a migraine in some patients, while this might also make the pain more severe for some patients?
9. __________ emotions, exercise, and excitement are also regularly blamed for migraines though Sacks thinks this is only a part of the answer.
10. Sometimes auras can be so powerful so as to have the appearance of a __________ in some patients.
(c) Heart murmur.
11. Sacks points out there are many ___________ toward many diseases and migraines are no exception to this finding.
12. Sacks does think there may be a link between having ________ and cyclical vomiting as a child and migraines.
(a) Foster parents.
(b) Processed foods.
(c) Motion sickness.
13. What might be a secondary factor of a migraine headache, causing even more pain and more tension?
(b) Tension headache.
(c) Family life.
14. One woman who kept a diary of her life around her migraines found that skipping her ___________ led to the incident of a migraine.
15. Most patients, it seems, have an irresistible urge to _________ when they are suffering from a migraine, according to the studies in this book.
(a) Bang their head against the wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sacks says there is no way to predict every stage of a migraine as the migraine is, by definition, __________ in nature.
2. There is a tendency in migraines to have __________ connections, according to the findings of Sacks.
3. With a migraine, there can be a _________ appearance to the eye, according to the description in this book.
4. Sometimes the feeling of _________ is reported during the experience of a migraine, in some patients.
5. There may also be changes in ________ as a result of an aura, according to Sacks in this section of the book.
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)