|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sacks does think there may be a link between having ________ and cyclical vomiting as a child and migraines.
(a) Foster parents.
(b) Processed foods.
(d) Motion sickness.
2. __________ migraines are always present in those who have cases of severe nausea along with their pain.
3. Sacks points out that some migraines tend to present themselves as a ________, from the earliest signs to the aftereffects.
4. What might alleviate the pain of a migraine in some patients, while this might also make the pain more severe for some patients?
5. What is found in about one fourth of all patients who have migraine pains and other symptoms?
(b) Nasal stuffiness.
6. The ________ is the word traditionally associated with the sensory illusions that a migraine sufferer may experience.
7. Sacks pointed out that a woman's hair turned __________ on one side, the side where she would have her headaches.
8. Unusual __________ occur in about one tenth of patients, according to the descriptions in the book.
(c) Word patterns.
(d) Bowel movements.
9. When ________ happens and it is not followed by a headache, it can be confusing and misinterpreted by the person experiencing it.
(a) An aura.
(c) A pain.
(d) A dream.
10. But on the other hand, some feel that those who suffer from migraines might be ____________ to suffer from allergies and motion sickness.
(a) More likely.
(b) Just as likely.
(d) Less likely.
11. Where is the physicist du Bois Reymond from, according to the descriptions in this manuscript?
12. One woman was described as being ____________, though her symptoms were actually more a part of a migraine.
13. What do many patients notice about the pain they might feel when they are experiencing a migraine?
(a) It's spotty.
(b) It's dull.
(c) It doesn't go away.
(d) It's always on one side.
14. The combination of _________ in the case of the woman with the impotent husband and the delinquent child might cause her headaches.
(d) Sharing living space.
15. How many areas of aural symptoms does Sacks point out to be the case for most patients?
Short Answer Questions
1. Sacks says that the only way to test the family connection theory of migraines is to see if a child with migraines in his family develops migraines when living with a ____________.
2. Parts of one's _________ might also begin to feel larger or smaller because of an aura, according to Sacks.
3. _________ also seems to be related to migraines, though it is thought to not be causally related, according to most researchers.
4. The woman then began to feel an irresistible urge to _________, which then served as a warning for her migraines.
5. Poor or unusual _______ conditions have also been blamed for migraines though that might only be a part of the issue.
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)