|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Connie notice about Hastings and Sibyl as the trial was about to begin?
(a) They seemed to dislike each other.
(b) They were flirting with each other.
(c) Sibyl seemed to be afraid of Hastings.
(d) They seemed to disagree about Sibyl's defense.
2. What date was referenced in Sibyl's notebook that caused Connie to read further?
(a) August 23.
(b) Connie's birthday.
(c) March 15.
(d) The day Sibyl met Hastings.
3. What did the medical examiner say he believed happened during Charlotte's labor?
(a) She had a stroke.
(b) She simply fainted.
(c) She vagaled.
(d) She had a heart attack.
4. Who was on the courthouse steps when the Danforths arrived for the trial?
(a) Connie's classmates.
(b) No one.
(c) The Bedfords.
(d) Other midwives.
5. Who reviewed Charlotte's medical records with Hastings?
Short Answer Questions
1. What alternative possibility did Hastings offer Sibyl in Chapter 12?
2. During what month did the Danforth's wait to learn what the charges against Sibyl would be?
3. What did the autopsy report reveal was the cause of Charlotte's death?
4. What did the male past-patient that Tanner put on the stand say in his testimony?
5. What was Sibyl instructed not to do as part of her bail agreement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sibyl refuse to accept any possible settlements that might be offered?
2. Why was Hastings' winning of a motion to review Charlotte's medical records important?
3. Why did Hastings want a jury full of older women?
4. Why did Connie continue to read other entries in Sibyl's journal after reading the one she found the notebook opened to?
5. Why did Connie seem concerned about the relationship between Sibyl and Hastings?
6. What did Hastings say about home births to make his point about their safety relative to hospital births?
7. Why did Tanner depict Charlotte as a frail woman?
8. What was unusual about Hastings' delivery of the manslaughter charges to Sibyl?
9. Why did Connie's reading the journal show the reader that her relationship with Sibyl had changed?
10. What was significant about the manner in which Sibyl stitched Charlotte's body?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)