|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Tanner's opening remarks end?
(a) Just before lunch.
(b) Shortly before dinner.
(d) Late in the evening.
2. Who admitted during cross-examination that Sibyl did not know about Charlotte's medical history?
(a) The coroner.
(b) The midwife.
(c) The midwife turned Ob-Gyn.
(d) The medical examiner.
3. What reason did Stephen give for Asa's inability to see an arch of blood?
(a) His eyesight was too poor.
(b) Anne blocked his view.
(c) He was across the room by the windows.
(d) Sibyl made him leave the room.
4. What did Anne's testimony cause the jury to do?
(a) Weep openly.
(b) Dismiss the case.
(c) See Charlotte as a real person.
(d) Forget that Charlotte had a family.
5. What does Connie think of the investigator Hastings hired?
(a) She was suspicious.
(b) She was irritating and dull.
(c) She was wild and exciting.
(d) She was sweet, but not very bright.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his opening remarks, what did Hastings use to compare home births to hospital births.
2. What charge did Hastings warn the Danforth's the state could charge Sibyl with?
3. Stephen Hastings brought in experts on what two things before Sibyl had been charged?
4. What did Tanner say Sibyl should have done before there was a medical emergency?
5. What did Hastings say about home births in his opening statement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization did Connie come to while she was watching the goings on in the court during the jury selection?
2. Why did Connie seem concerned about the relationship between Sibyl and Hastings?
3. Why was Hastings' cross-examination of the midwife turned Ob-Gyn important?
4. What was significant about the manner in which Sibyl stitched Charlotte's body?
5. Why did Hastings want a jury full of older women?
6. Why did Sibyl refuse to accept any possible settlements that might be offered?
7. Why did Sibyl and Rand allow Connie to attend the trial?
8. Why was the medical examiner's testimony particularly harmful to Sibyl's defense?
9. What does the term "vagaled" mean?
10. What did Hastings say about home births to make his point about their safety relative to hospital births?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)