|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name given to the baby Sibyl delivered from Charlotte's womb?
2. What did Connie see when she dropped off Charlotte's medical records at Hastings' office?
(a) A bill for his legal services.
(b) Hastings and Sibyl kissing.
(c) Hastings joking with the prosecutor.
(d) Notes about Sibyl's trial.
3. What did the state's first witness describe for the jury?
(a) The storm on the night of Charlotte's death.
(b) The bloody scene in the Bedford's bedroom.
(c) The state of the infant upon his arrival at the Bedford home.
(d) Asa's hysterical rage on the night of Charlotte's death.
4. What did Hastings say, in his opening remarks, Sibyl was able to do on the day of Charlotte's death?
(a) Comfort Charlotte's grieving family.
(b) Save Charlotte's infant son.
(c) Make home births against the law.
(d) Sew perfect sutures.
5. What did Tanner say Sibyl should have done before there was a medical emergency?
(a) Give Charlotte medication.
(b) Send Asa for the doctor.
(c) Bring the doctor to the delivery.
(d) Call an ambulance.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what month did the Danforth's wait to learn what the charges against Sibyl would be?
2. Who opposed Sibyl and Rand's decision regarding Connie in Chapter 14?
3. What charge did Hastings warn the Danforth's the state could charge Sibyl with?
4. In Chapter 12, how many years in prison does Connie say Sibyl could have been sentenced to?
5. What alternative possibility did Hastings offer Sibyl in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hastings want a jury full of older women?
2. Why did Tanner say that Sibyl should have called an ambulance toward the beginning of the delivery?
3. Why did the prosecutor put the state trooper on the stand to testify?
4. Why was it important for the prosecution to make the point that Anne was an enthusiastic student who did not believe in interfering with birth unless absolutely necessary?
5. What was Connie's reaction to seeing the word "vagal" written on a conference room board at Hastings' place of business?
6. Why did many of Sibyl's clients attend the trial with their infants?
7. Why did Tanner depict Charlotte as a frail woman?
8. What did Hastings say about home births to make his point about their safety relative to hospital births?
9. How did Anne's testimony make the jury begin to see Charlotte as a real person?
10. Why was Hastings' cross-examination of the midwife turned Ob-Gyn important?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)