|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Connie notice about Hastings and Sibyl as the trial was about to begin?
(a) They were flirting with each other.
(b) They seemed to dislike each other.
(c) Sibyl seemed to be afraid of Hastings.
(d) They seemed to disagree about Sibyl's defense.
2. What condition(s) had Charlotte neglected to mention to Sibyl?
(a) Mental illness.
(b) High blood pressure and anemia.
(c) Heart murmur.
(d) Irregular heartbeat and high blood pressure.
3. What was the name given to the baby Sibyl delivered from Charlotte's womb?
4. What did Hastings get the nurse-midwife who testified to admit in his cross-examination of her?
(a) She was lying.
(b) People in her own profession often delivered babies at home.
(c) Sibyl was an excellent midwife.
(d) Charlotte was a good candidate for home birth.
5. As Sibyl's student, what did Anne believe about home births?
(a) A doctor should be present.
(b) Patients should be given painkillers.
(c) There should be as little interference as possible.
(d) Interference is usually necessary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which entries in Sibyl's notebook did Connie read?
2. What did Hastings say, in his opening remarks, Sibyl was able to do on the day of Charlotte's death?
3. What did Hastings say Anne failed to do?
4. What alternative possibility did Hastings offer Sibyl in Chapter 12?
5. What kind of student was Anne Austin described as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was unusual about Hastings' delivery of the manslaughter charges to Sibyl?
2. Why was it important for the prosecution to make the point that Anne was an enthusiastic student who did not believe in interfering with birth unless absolutely necessary?
3. What did Hastings say about home births to make his point about their safety relative to hospital births?
4. Why did Hastings say that Asa could not possibly have seen the blood arch coming from Charlotte's abdomen?
5. Why did Sibyl sew up Charlotte's abdomen after the baby was delivered?
6. Why did Connie seem concerned about the relationship between Sibyl and Hastings?
7. Why did Tanner depict Charlotte as a frail woman?
8. What was Connie's reaction to seeing the word "vagal" written on a conference room board at Hastings' place of business?
9. Why did Hastings involve blood evidence and home birth experts before Sibyl was even charged?
10. Why did Sibyl refuse to accept any possible settlements that might be offered?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)