|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Tanner's opening remarks end?
(a) Late in the evening.
(b) Shortly before dinner.
(d) Just before lunch.
2. Who joined Connie for lunch on the opening day of the trial?
(b) Her best friend.
3. When Sibyl is arrested, what misdemeanor charge is brought against her?
(c) Practicing medicine without a license.
(d) Dispensing pharmaceuticals without a license.
4. What did Tanner say Sibyl should have known because she was a lifelong resident of Vermont?
(a) That she would be accused of murder.
(b) That home births are dangerous.
(c) A storm was coming.
(d) The phone number for the hospital.
5. What kind of student was Anne Austin described as?
(b) Quiet and withdrawn.
(c) Good, but timid.
6. What did the jury do during Anne's testimony that made Connie uneasy?
(a) Stare at Connie.
(b) Stop looking at Sibyl.
(c) Take notes.
(d) Steal uncomfortable glances at Sibyl.
7. When did Hastings' opening remarks begin?
(a) Before Tanner's.
(b) Late evening.
(c) On the second day of the trial.
(d) After lunch.
8. What was the group on the courthouse steps doing when the Danforths arrived?
(a) Waiting to interview Sibyl.
(c) Taking pictures.
(d) Supporting Charlotte's family.
9. Where was the arch of blood supposed to have been coming from?
(a) Charlotte's nostrils.
(b) A cut in Sibyl's hand.
(c) Charlotte's vaginal area.
(d) Charlotte's abdomen.
10. What was Sibyl instructed not to do as part of her bail agreement?
(a) Talk to her family about the case.
(b) Speak with Asa Bedford.
(c) Practice midwifery.
(d) Leave her home.
11. What did Connie initially think the investigator Hastings hired was?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A psychiatrist.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A photographer.
12. Who testified that her personal belief was that home births are dangerous?
(a) Charlotte's mother.
(c) The state trooper.
(d) A nurse-midwife.
13. What is the name of the investigator Stephen Hastings hired?
(a) Patty Dunlevy.
(b) Tom Corts.
(c) Bill Tanner.
(d) Asa Bedford.
14. What did Connie discover her father was doing before the trial began?
(a) Reviewing legal precedent.
(c) Working too much.
(d) Spending a lot of time with Hastings.
15. What did the medical examiner say he believed happened during Charlotte's labor?
(a) She had a stroke.
(b) She vagaled.
(c) She simply fainted.
(d) She had a heart attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hastings gain access to Charlotte's medical records?
2. What did the male past-patient that Tanner put on the stand say in his testimony?
3. Who reviewed Charlotte's medical records with Hastings?
4. What did the medical examiner say was Charlotte's cause of death?
5. During his opening remarks, what did Hastings use to compare home births to hospital births.
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)