|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did the Danforths learn would be attending the trial in support of Sibyl?
(a) Charlotte's parents.
(b) Many of her clients and their infants.
(c) Connie's classmates.
2. What happened during the first few days in court?
(a) Sibyl was quickly convicted.
(b) Connie was told she could not attend.
(c) Sibyl was repeatedly questioned.
(d) The two sides searched for a jury.
3. What did Hastings get the nurse-midwife who testified to admit in his cross-examination of her?
(a) People in her own profession often delivered babies at home.
(b) Charlotte was a good candidate for home birth.
(c) She was lying.
(d) Sibyl was an excellent midwife.
4. What alternative possibility did Hastings offer Sibyl in Chapter 12?
(a) Fleeing the country.
(b) A monetary fine.
(d) A plea-bargain.
5. What did Hastings say, in his opening remarks, Sibyl was able to do on the day of Charlotte's death?
(a) Make home births against the law.
(b) Comfort Charlotte's grieving family.
(c) Save Charlotte's infant son.
(d) Sew perfect sutures.
6. What did the male past-patient that Tanner put on the stand say in his testimony?
(a) Sibyl had not treated his wife's anemia.
(b) Sibyl had misled him and his wife about the safety of home birth.
(c) Sibyl was honest about the safety of home birth.
(d) Sibyl had made his wife push too long.
7. What is the name of the investigator Stephen Hastings hired?
(a) Bill Tanner.
(b) Patty Dunlevy.
(c) Tom Corts.
(d) Asa Bedford.
8. When Sibyl is arrested, what misdemeanor charge is brought against her?
(b) Dispensing pharmaceuticals without a license.
(c) Practicing medicine without a license.
9. What did the medical examiner say he believed happened during Charlotte's labor?
(a) She had a heart attack.
(b) She simply fainted.
(c) She vagaled.
(d) She had a stroke.
10. What did Tanner say Sibyl forced Charlotte to do?
(a) Take the wrong medication.
(b) Push too long.
(c) Hire her.
(d) Send Asa from the room.
11. What did the medical examiner say he found in Charlotte's abdomen?
(a) A lot of blood.
(b) A tumor.
(c) Another baby.
(d) A well-sutured uterus.
12. What was happening outside during the opening remarks?
(a) It was a beautiful, sunny day.
(b) The midwives were causing a riot.
(c) People were marching with "Convict the Midwife" signs.
(d) Storm clouds were approaching.
13. What did the coroner testify that Sibyl had done?
(a) A good job of stitching Charlotte's uterus and abdomen.
(b) A poor job of stitching Charlotte's abdomen.
(c) A poor job of stitching Charlotte's abdomen, but a poor job of stitching her uterus.
(d) A good job of stitching Charlotte's abdomen.
14. Who reviewed Charlotte's medical records with Hastings?
15. When did Hastings' opening remarks begin?
(a) Late evening.
(b) After lunch.
(c) On the second day of the trial.
(d) Before Tanner's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who admitted during cross-examination that Sibyl did not know about Charlotte's medical history?
2. What did Connie notice about Hastings and Sibyl as the trial was about to begin?
3. What word caught Connie's eye when she was in a conference room at Hastings' place of business?
4. Stephen Hastings brought in experts on what two things before Sibyl had been charged?
5. What did the jury do during Anne's testimony that made Connie uneasy?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)