|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Flute say he is unable to play the part he is assigned in the mini-play?
2. What solution do the actors find to resolve Flute's complaint about his assigned part?
3. How are Hermia and Egeus related?
4. Who says they would be better at the role assigned to Snug in the mini-play?
5. Where is the child that Titania has stolen from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Helena wakes up Lysander after she has been abandoned by Demetrius in the wood?
2. Why is Snug's part in the mini-play going to be so easy for him to memorize?
3. Why is Flute unhappy with his assigned role when he first hears it?
4. Where does Lysander decide to live when Hermia is told to make her decision between marrying Demetrius or going to a convent?
5. Why is Helena so in love with Demetrius?
6. What does Helena choose to do when she first hears of Hermia's plan to escape with her true love?
7. Why is Helena so frustrated about having to woo Demetrius?
8. What does Bottom do as Quince assigns all the roles in the mini-play?
9. What does Lysander propose he and Hermia do to avoid the punishment laid out for Hermia should she choose to marry him?
10. What will happen to Hermia if she does not marry the man who Egeus has chosen for her to marry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Puck was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Puck had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Lysander and Demetrius are almost mirror images of each other, and yet they have some notable differences. Using excerpts from the text, please compare and contrast these two characters and explain the significance they had in the plot.
Essay Topic 3
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Shakespeare have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)