|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Quince say to the man who tries to prove he should have Snug's part in the mini-play?
2. According to the law, what will happen if Hermia refuses to marry the man Egeus wants her to marry?
3. What does Oberon plan to use the magic flower for in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What are the fairies who stay with Titania when she goes to sleep supposed to do?
5. How long does Theseus give Hermia to make her decision about whom to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lysander propose he and Hermia do to avoid the punishment laid out for Hermia should she choose to marry him?
2. What does Helena think Lysander is really doing after she wakes him up in the woods?
3. What caused the magical flower to get its powers?
4. Why does Puck mistake Lysander for Demetrius when he sees him asleep in the wood?
5. How do Hippolyta and Theseus feel about their upcoming marriage?
6. Why is Demetrius in the magical wood after dark in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. What will happen to Hermia if she does not marry the man who Egeus has chosen for her to marry?
8. What is so ironic about Bottom's name?
9. What does Hermia insist of Lysander when they start to fall asleep in the wood?
10. What has been happening in the mortal world while the Fairy King and Queen have been fighting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Oberon and Titania were a magical fairy couple, they exhibited many different human characteristics. What are some examples of this humanity, and why do you think these examples were included in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this play that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Puck was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Puck had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)