|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had the fairy been doing before the beginning of Act 2?
2. What is Bottom's first name?
3. What role in the mini-play is Bottom assigned?
4. Where does A Midsummer Night's Dream begin?
5. Who does Puck think Lysander is when he is sleeping in the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Helena so in love with Demetrius?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Helena say causes her to fall more in love with Demetrius while she is in the wood with him?
3. Where does Lysander decide to live when Hermia is told to make her decision between marrying Demetrius or going to a convent?
4. What caused the magical flower to get its powers?
5. Why does Puck mistake Lysander for Demetrius when he sees him asleep in the wood?
6. What does Oberon tell Puck to do with the love juice after seeing the conversation between Helena and Demetrius?
7. Why is Helena so frustrated about having to woo Demetrius?
8. What does Helena think Lysander is really doing after she wakes him up in the woods?
9. What has been happening in the mortal world while the Fairy King and Queen have been fighting?
10. Why is Snug's part in the mini-play going to be so easy for him to memorize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this play that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the play?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Puck was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Puck had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)