|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the fighting between the Fairy King and queen caused in the mortal realm?
2. What do the fairies sing for Titania in the second scene that Titania appears in?
3. Where do the actors of the mini-play hope to perform?
4. Who says they would be better at the part Flute has been assigned in the mini-play?
5. What does Bottom brag about when he first comes on Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Demetrius in the magical wood after dark in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Helena say causes her to fall more in love with Demetrius while she is in the wood with him?
3. What does Bottom do as Quince assigns all the roles in the mini-play?
4. Where does Lysander decide to live when Hermia is told to make her decision between marrying Demetrius or going to a convent?
5. What is so ironic about Bottom's name?
6. Why is Flute unhappy with his assigned role when he first hears it?
7. Why is Helena so in love with Demetrius?
8. How does Hermia wake up in the woods, and what does she find when she wakes up?
9. What does Helena choose to do when she first hears of Hermia's plan to escape with her true love?
10. What has been happening in the mortal world while the Fairy King and Queen have been fighting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choosing sides was a theme that was presented in this play. Give examples of characters choosing sides, and tell how it affected the characters involved.
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this play. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Lysander and Demetrius are almost mirror images of each other, and yet they have some notable differences. Using excerpts from the text, please compare and contrast these two characters and explain the significance they had in the plot.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)