|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Act 2 begin?
2. Who was once Oberon's mistress?
3. What is Starveling's occupation?
4. What does Theseus tell Philostrate to tell the people at the beginning of the play?
5. Why does Puck say the Fairy King and Queen should not meet at the beginning of Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has been happening in the mortal world while the Fairy King and Queen have been fighting?
2. How does Hermia wake up in the woods, and what does she find when she wakes up?
3. What caused the magical flower to get its powers?
4. Where do the actors decide to hold their next rehearsal, and why do they choose that spot?
5. What does Helena choose to do when she first hears of Hermia's plan to escape with her true love?
6. What does Oberon tell Puck to do with the love juice after seeing the conversation between Helena and Demetrius?
7. Why does Puck mistake Lysander for Demetrius when he sees him asleep in the wood?
8. In her famous line in the first scene, what does Helena say love uses when choosing matches?
9. Why is Helena so frustrated about having to woo Demetrius?
10. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Helena say causes her to fall more in love with Demetrius while she is in the wood with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this play, and how do these instances affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Many different characters in this play were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this play?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)