|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lysander think he deserves Hermia as his bride?
2. Where does Act 2 begin?
3. What is another name for Puck?
4. What does Oberon want to do to punish his wife in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What does the fairy queen accuse her husband of when they first meet on stage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the mini-play mirror one of Shakespeare's major works?
2. What caused the magical flower to get its powers?
3. How does Quince resolve Flute's worries about his assigned role in the mini-play?
4. How does Quince convince Bottom to not take the role of the Lion?
5. What does Bottom do as Quince assigns all the roles in the mini-play?
6. Why is Helena so in love with Demetrius?
7. How does Hermia wake up in the woods, and what does she find when she wakes up?
8. In her famous line in the first scene, what does Helena say love uses when choosing matches?
9. How did Titania come across the Indian changeling that she has?
10. What does Lysander propose he and Hermia do to avoid the punishment laid out for Hermia should she choose to marry him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this play?
Essay Topic 2
Love was a very central theme in this book--so much so that it was almost a tangible character. What made this theme so prominent, and how was the course of the plot altered by its presence?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this play, and how do these instances affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)