Act 1, Scene 1
• Theseus is the king of Athens, and in four days he will marry Hippolyta, the Queen of the Amazons. These two lovers met while at battle with each other.
• Egeus wants his daughter, Hermia, to marry Demetrius. He says that if she refuses, she must either be killed or sent to a convent as the law of Athens dictates.
• Hermia is in love with Lysander and says she would rather be sent to a convent than marry Demetrius. Theseus gives her four days to declare her final decision.
• Hermia and Lysander decide to meet in the woods later that night and elope. Lysander has a wealthy aunt they can live with.
• Helena is distraught at Demetrius's love for her friend Hermia because she is in love with Demetrius. They have had a past relationship together.
• Hermia tells Helena about her plan to elope with Lysander. Helena...
This section contains 1,768 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)