|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fabrizio throw against the wall?
2. Lorenzo is disguised as __________.
3. How is Fabrizio able to get around the castle without being seen?
4. Whom does Teresina visit later?
5. Whom does Fabrizio see at the niche?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mangus tell Fabrizio will happen if they do not solve the ghost situation in the allotted time?
2. What does Fabrizio do in the confusion over the death of Addetto?
3. When the ghost appears, what does it say?
4. What does the Queen believe about the ghost? What wish does she express to Fabrizio that is fulfilled?
5. What does Teresina give Fabrizio when she visits him in his cell?
6. What does Mangus tell Fabrizio on the way back to their rooms? What happens to Fabrizio at the same time?
7. Describe the circumstances that force the Count to admit his guilt?
8. Why does Fabrizio go in search of Mangus? Whom does Fabrizio encounter on his search?
9. What does Rinald/Lorenzo admit to Fabrizio? What does Fabrizio decide to do?
10. Who comes to the Chapel when Mangus is about to question the Princess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mangus is a man of reason and he wants to tell the King the truth. The others convince Mangus to keep it a secret for the good of the country. Mangus agrees, though reluctantly, showing the reader that he is a patriotic man. He will lie when it is necessary for the greater good.
1) Do you think that any behavior, such as lying, is moral as long as its for the greater good? Why or why not? Use examples from Midnight Magic and your own life to support your answer.
2) Do you think that immoral actions are justified for the good of a person's country? Why or why not? Use examples from Midnight Magic and your own life to support your answer.
3) Explain what you would do and how you would feel if you were asked to commit an action that was against your conscience for your country or the greater good. Use examples from your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Fabrizio is no exception. His determination and survival powers might contrast to his tendency to get lost in the palace and to appear clumsy. Discuss the following:
1) Trace and analyze situations when Fabrizio demonstrates his determination. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2) Trace and analyze Fabrizio 's character flaws offering specific examples of these flaws in your discussion.
3) Discuss how you think Fabrizio 's admirable traits helped him expose the count? Has his flaws impacted his life at all? Do any of the other characters in Midnight Magic seem to notice these flaws? Who? How does the reader know this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1) Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation of the King asking Mangus for help using the very same powers for which Mangus was condemned. What other situations contain irony in Midnight Magic?
2) Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from Midnight Magic. What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3) Discuss five literary devices that occur in Midnight Magic and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible techniques: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)