|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fabrizio say when he comes forth as a ghost?
2. Why does Fabrizio not know the time after he wakes?
3. What does Mangus think someone uses to create the ghost?
4. What happens when Fabrizio tries to catch the Count?
5. What do the Princess and Fabrizio explain to Mangus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Fabrizio encounter while people are rushing to the chapel? What does Fabrizio ask?
2. What does the Queen admit to Mangus?
3. What does Mangus show the Princess and Fabrizio?
4. Who comes to Fabrizio in his cell and what happens?
5. Why does Mangus call for the King right after the ghost disappears? What do they discuss?
6. Why does the candle not help Fabrizio? What does he do?
7. What does Rinald/Lorenzo admit to Fabrizio? What does Fabrizio decide to do?
8. What does the Queen say about her son?
9. Who comes to the Chapel when Mangus is about to question the Princess?
10. What does Fabrizio do at Mangus' house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1) Fully explain why you think Midnight Magic is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2) How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3) Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4) Have you ever read a book for which you do not understand the relevance of the title after reading it? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Mangus insists he does not believe in ghosts, but the King seems to believe this will not interfere with Mangus' investigation.
1) How do you think beliefs and truth relate to each other? Use examples from Midnight Magic and/or your own life to support your opinion.
2) Do you think if someone believes something strong enough it will come true? Why or why not? Use examples from Midnight Magic and/or your life to support your opinion.
3) If someone believes something to be true, do you think facts can change his/hers belief? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Count, the Princess, the Queen, and the Prince have secrets. Secrets play a large role in the plot. Mangus wants to tell the King about the ghost ploy, but the others talk him out of it. It appears Mangus doesn't like secrets.
1) If a person keeps a lot of secrets, do you think she or he would have a difficult time trusting others? Why or why not? Use examples from your life and Midnight Magic to support your answer.
2) When the Queen and the Princess's secrets are revealed to Fabrizio and Mangus, the four begin to trust each other and almost become friends. Discuss why you think the relationship between these four changed with honesty. Use examples from your life and Midnight Magic to support your answer.
3) Is honesty always best? Was it reasonable and prudent for the Queen to have her secrets? Why or why not? Use examples from your life and Midnight Magic to support your answer.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)