|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Fabrizio see at the niche?
2. What does the person seem to be doing at the niche?
3. What is different about the ghost's visit this time?
4. What does Mangus think someone uses to create the ghost?
5. Where does Mangus ask Fabrizio and Teresina to go with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Teresina say to Fabrizio when he goes to her chambers?
2. How does Fabrizio come to learn of a secret door in Teresina's rooms? Whom does he almost encounter?
3. Who comes to Fabrizio in his cell and what happens?
4. Why does Fabrizio go in search of Mangus? Whom does Fabrizio encounter on his search?
5. Who comes to the Chapel when Mangus is about to question the Princess?
6. What does Mangus tell Fabrizio on the way back to their rooms? What happens to Fabrizio at the same time?
7. Why does the candle not help Fabrizio? What does he do?
8. What does Fabrizio do at Mangus' house?
9. Where do Fabrizio and the Queen find Mangus and what does he claim?
10. When Fabrizio finds Rinaldo in the chapel, what does Rinaldo tell Fabrizio about Rinaldo's identity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1) Fully explain why you think Midnight Magic is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2) How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3) Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4) Have you ever read a book for which you do not understand the relevance of the title after reading it? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the three options below and write an essay using details and examples from the play:
1) Almost all fiction contains some form of the idea of good versus evil. Take three characters and explain why they are good, evil, or a mixture and provide examples from Midnight Magic.
2) How would the story have changed if the Princess or the Queen had told Mangus from the beginning about their plot? Use examples from Midnight Magic to support your answer.
3) Most fiction contains some examples of foreshadowing. Carefully reread Midnight Magic and list five places you believe foreshadow a future event. Give details and explain why you chose each instance.
Essay Topic 3
Midnight Magic, like many, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1) Why do you think most people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2) What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Midnight Magic and whether or not it fulfills all three of the reasons you mention.
3) Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)