|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Teresina speak about the viewing of the ghost that night?
2. Where does Mangus ask Fabrizio and Teresina to go with him?
3. What does the Queen say about the Count and her son?
4. What are the Queen and Princess trying to accomplish with the ghost scheme?
5. Why is Fabrizio let out of his cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Queen say about her son?
2. Describe the circumstances that force the Count to admit his guilt?
3. When Fabrizio finds Rinaldo in the chapel, what does Rinaldo tell Fabrizio about Rinaldo's identity?
4. What happens about the Count's glove that Fabrizio found?
5. When the ghost appears, what does it say?
6. How does Fabrizio come to learn of a secret door in Teresina's rooms? Whom does he almost encounter?
7. Why does the candle not help Fabrizio? What does he do?
8. What does the Queen admit to Mangus?
9. What does Rinald/Lorenzo admit to Fabrizio? What does Fabrizio decide to do?
10. Why does Mangus call for the King right after the ghost disappears? What do they discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the world of academe, fantasy is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1) Why do you think fantasy might be considered second rate compared to the classics?
2) Do you think fantasy has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3) What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4) Would you read fantasy even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Teresina admits that she is to marry Count Scarazoni in two days because her father has consulted the stars and that is the best date in the immediate future. Write an essay answering the following questions:
1) Do you believe astrology is a valid way to plan one's day/life?
2) How often do you read your daily astrological prediction? Would you alter your plans based upon the daily chart? Why or why not?
3) If astrology were proven to be true and accurate, do you believe you could change your fate as predicted by the stars? How would you do so?
4) If science proved astrology to absolutely false, would you still read your daily advice from the astrology column in the newspaper? Why or why not? If you do not read the astrology column, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1) Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Midnight Magic.
2) Trace and analyze one major theme of Midnight Magic. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3) Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Midnight Magic. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)