|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the ghost appear?
2. What does the Queen say about the Count and her son?
3. Whom does Fabrizio see at the niche?
4. What are the windows near the niche designed to do?
5. Where does Fabrizio find Mangus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Queen admit to Mangus?
2. Of what does Mangus assure the Queen?
3. Whom does Fabrizio encounter while people are rushing to the chapel? What does Fabrizio ask?
4. Describe the circumstances that force the Count to admit his guilt?
5. Where do Fabrizio and the Queen find Mangus and what does he claim?
6. Why does Mangus call for the King right after the ghost disappears? What do they discuss?
7. What does Mangus tell Fabrizio on the way back to their rooms? What happens to Fabrizio at the same time?
8. Who comes to the Chapel when Mangus is about to question the Princess?
9. What does Teresina give Fabrizio when she visits him in his cell?
10. What does Rinald/Lorenzo admit to Fabrizio? What does Fabrizio decide to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Teresina admits that she is to marry Count Scarazoni in two days because her father has consulted the stars and that is the best date in the immediate future. Write an essay answering the following questions:
1) Do you believe astrology is a valid way to plan one's day/life?
2) How often do you read your daily astrological prediction? Would you alter your plans based upon the daily chart? Why or why not?
3) If astrology were proven to be true and accurate, do you believe you could change your fate as predicted by the stars? How would you do so?
4) If science proved astrology to absolutely false, would you still read your daily advice from the astrology column in the newspaper? Why or why not? If you do not read the astrology column, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Fabrizio is twelve in Midnight Magic. Discuss the following:
1) What are some ways that Fabrizio seems like an average twelve-year-old? Explain your reasoning.
2) What are some ways that Fabrizio seems older than his age? Give specific examples and discuss whether they seem consistent with the character development of Fabrizio throughout the book.
3) Is it fair and realistic to expect a twelve-year-old to do what Fabrizio has done in Midnight Magic? Why or why not? Do you think a twelve-year-old is likely to use magic wisely? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1) Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Midnight Magic.
2) Trace and analyze one major theme of Midnight Magic. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3) Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Midnight Magic. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)