|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long has Teresina been seeing a ghost in the corridor?
2. Who is Fabrizio?
3. Where does Fabrizio's guide direct Fabrizio?
4. What does Fabrizio ask of Mangus?
5. What does Fabrizio see when he gets lost in the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mangus feel about the King's request?
2. What happens to Rinaldo as he and Fabrizio are walking through the corridors? Where does Rinaldo take them?
3. Why is Fabrizio frightened by the soldier who knocks at the door?
4. What happens when Mangus and Fabrizio are escorted to their chambers?
5. How often does Teresina see the ghost? Has anyone else seen it?
6. Who is also watching the ghost that Fabrizio sees? What does this person do?
7. What does Mangus need to know? Why does he send Fabrizio in search of the information?
8. What does the Count ask Fabrizio when he encounters him in the corridor?
9. What happens when Mangus and Fabrizio enter the castle? How does Fabrizio try to help the situation?
10. What does Fabrizio tell Mangus? What is Mangus' response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the world of academe, fantasy is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1) Why do you think fantasy might be considered second rate compared to the classics?
2) Do you think fantasy has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3) What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4) Would you read fantasy even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Mangus insists he does not believe in ghosts, but the King seems to believe this will not interfere with Mangus' investigation.
1) How do you think beliefs and truth relate to each other? Use examples from Midnight Magic and/or your own life to support your opinion.
2) Do you think if someone believes something strong enough it will come true? Why or why not? Use examples from Midnight Magic and/or your life to support your opinion.
3) If someone believes something to be true, do you think facts can change his/hers belief? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes Midnight Magic interesting. Discuss the following "good" characters.
1) Thoroughly discuss and analyze Fabrizio. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2) Thoroughly discuss and analyze Mangus. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3) Thoroughly discuss and analyze the Princess. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)