|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mangus?
2. Where does Count Scarazoni go?
3. Whom is Rinaldo avoiding?
4. The Count wants whom to avoid seeing Mangus?
5. Where does Fabrizio find himself after the first place he visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before whom are Mangus and Fabrizio brought? Why?
2. What does Fabrizio ask Mangus? What does Fabrizio do as a result of Mangus' reply?
3. What is Mangus ordered to do while traveling to the castle? Why is he ordered to do so?
4. Why is Fabrizio frightened by the soldier who knocks at the door?
5. What does Fabrizio do with the letter? What concerns him?
6. Describe Fabrizio's encounter with the Queen.
7. What does the Princess ask of Fabrizio when he goes to help her after the appearance of the ghost?
8. What happens when Mangus and Fabrizio are escorted to their chambers?
9. What does Teresina say the ghost wants and who does she think the ghost is?
10. Where does Fabrizio find the statue? How does the person claim to have gotten the statue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mangus does not believe in ghosts. Mangus is a man of reason, as he often points out. Therefore, he will not be searching for ghosts, but logical explanations for what Teresina has been seeing.
1) Do you think that science can explain everything? Why or why not? Use examples from Midnight Magic and your own life to support your answer.
2) There is a saying that we see what we want to see. Explain, in depth, how this saying would relate to the statement above. Use examples from Midnight Magic and your own life to support your answer.
3) Defend or refute the following statements, using examples to support your answer: When most people see or hear something that contradicts what they believe, they will find a rationalization to support their belief.
Essay Topic 2
Midnight Magic, like many, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1) Why do you think most people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2) What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Midnight Magic and whether or not it fulfills all three of the reasons you mention.
3) Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the world of academe, fantasy is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1) Why do you think fantasy might be considered second rate compared to the classics?
2) Do you think fantasy has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3) What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4) Would you read fantasy even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)