|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes searching for Fabrizio?
2. Where does Fabrizio find himself after the first place he visits?
3. What hides the secret entrance to the chapel?
4. Whom does Fabrizio go upstairs to see?
5. What do Mangus and Fabrizio do when they are alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mangus feel about the King's request?
2. What does Teresina say the ghost wants and who does she think the ghost is?
3. Who is Teresina set to marry in two days? Why is she marrying so soon?
4. What does Mangus do after speaking to Teresina?
5. How often does Teresina see the ghost? Has anyone else seen it?
6. Describe Fabrizio's encounter with the Queen.
7. What is Mangus ordered to do while traveling to the castle? Why is he ordered to do so?
8. Who is Fabrizio? What is he doing when Chapter 1 opens?
9. Who has a conversation in the chapel? What is the gist of what they say?
10. Where does Fabrizio find the statue? How does the person claim to have gotten the statue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1) Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2) Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Midnight Magic help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Midnight Magic? Why or why not?
3) Choose one specific incident in Midnight Magic to compare Fabrizio or Mangus's response to how you think you would respond in the same situation.
Essay Topic 2
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Fabrizio is no exception. His determination and survival powers might contrast to his tendency to get lost in the palace and to appear clumsy. Discuss the following:
1) Trace and analyze situations when Fabrizio demonstrates his determination. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2) Trace and analyze Fabrizio 's character flaws offering specific examples of these flaws in your discussion.
3) Discuss how you think Fabrizio 's admirable traits helped him expose the count? Has his flaws impacted his life at all? Do any of the other characters in Midnight Magic seem to notice these flaws? Who? How does the reader know this?
Essay Topic 3
In the world of academe, fantasy is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1) Why do you think fantasy might be considered second rate compared to the classics?
2) Do you think fantasy has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3) What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4) Would you read fantasy even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)