|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie begins shooting outside Mercer House?
2. How long does the jury deliberate?
3. Where does Minerva live?
4. What is Joe Odom's opinion of Danny Hansford's murder?
5. Jim Williams uses his money to get his way while Joe Odom uses his _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to ease Mrs. Williams' mind about the rumors of Jim's homosexuality?
2. What news gradually supersedes Jim's murder case in Savannah?
3. What is the verdict in Jim's third trial?
4. What are the implications of homosexuality in Jim's trial?
5. What is Joe's opinion about Jim's prospects?
6. What is the Garden of Good and Evil?
7. What is the narrator's opinion of Savannah's unique qualities?
8. How does Jim spend his time while incarcerated?
9. What is the Black Debutante Ball?
10. Why does Joe get in trouble for giving tours of the Hamilton-Turner House where he is residing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many times throughout the story the author symbolically tells the reader that things are not always as they appear. Give examples of these instances and explain their significance to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Jim Williams and Joe Odom. How are they similar? How are they dissimilar? How do they each manage to survive in Savannah society?
Essay Topic 3
Savannah seems to be highly populated with eccentrics. Describe some of the characters and their behaviors which make them unusual? Given the eccentricities, is there anything that is too unusual for Savannah? Explain.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)