|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the judge at Jim's trial?
2. Who is the nurse that Sonny Seiler calls to testify at the third trial?
3. What does the prosecutor bring to light about Williams?
4. Who is the black woman Joe hires to give tours of the house?
5. Why are Savannah residents unhappy with the local art college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Joe's opinion about Jim's prospects?
2. How does Bobby Cook get Jim a new trial?
3. What happens after Jim is taken to jail?
4. What does Jim plan for his mother while he is incarcerated?
5. How does Chapter 27 begin?
6. Describe Judge Oliver's behavior in court to show his boredom with the case.
7. How does Jim's mother behave during Jim's incarceration?
8. Describe Uga.
9. What are the implications of homosexuality in Jim's trial?
10. What is the verdict in Jim's third trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From whose perspective is this story told? Why did the author choose this point of view? What does this perspective allow the author to do that he could not have done with any other? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in the South is also addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters? How is the Married Woman's Card Club both inclusive and prejudicial at the same time? What is the presumed role of women in Savannah. Explain by giving examples.
Essay Topic 3
How does Jim Williams symbolize the upper class of Savannah society? What rights and privileges do Williams and his peers enjoy? How does Williams' nouveau riche status alter his perception slightly from those who come from well-established money?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)