|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nature of the call for a new trial?
2. What happens with Williams' fourth trial?
3. Why is Williams confident that he will win a third time?
4. What does Williams plan for his mother from his jail cell?
5. What is the state of relations between blacks and whites in Savannah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Black Debutante Ball?
2. Describe Uga.
3. What is the outcome of Jim's second trial?
4. What happens a few weeks after Jim's Christmas party?
5. What is the Garden of Good and Evil?
6. What fact does Sonny use to Jim's benefit to speed up the trial?
7. Describe Judge Oliver's behavior in court to show his boredom with the case.
8. What does Jim plan for his mother while he is incarcerated?
9. Describe Minerva.
10. What is Jim's situation at the end of Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jim Williams and Joe Odom. How are they similar? How are they dissimilar? How do they each manage to survive in Savannah society?
Essay Topic 2
Savannah seems to be a city of contrasts in that it tolerates eccentrics like men who wear eye shadow and walk invisible dogs to intolerance for homosexuals and unmarried women. Explain the nature of Savannah's culture that allows some behaviors to thrive unnoticed and some which are usually considered to be normal to be considered offensive.
Essay Topic 3
What is the author's purpose for including the character of Chablis? What does Chablis represent? How does Chablis stand out in a city filled with eccentrics? Why is the narrator strangely befriended by Chablis?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)