|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who moves into Mercer House while Williams is in jail?
2. What is Williams assured of?
3. How many more years pass before Williams' fourth trial begins?
4. What does Mrs. Williams do every week in anticipation of her son's release?
5. What does Judge Oliver do in court every day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fact does Sonny use to Jim's benefit to speed up the trial?
2. How does Bobby Cook get Jim a new trial?
3. What are the implications of homosexuality in Jim's trial?
4. What is the result of the trial?
5. Describe Uga.
6. How does Chapter 27 begin?
7. What happens after Jim is taken to jail?
8. What is the narrator's opinion of Savannah's unique qualities?
9. What is the Black Debutante Ball?
10. Describe Judge Oliver's behavior in court to show his boredom with the case.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jim Williams and Joe Odom. How are they similar? How are they dissimilar? How do they each manage to survive in Savannah society?
Essay Topic 2
What role does alcohol play in the story? The author seems to think it is the core of most of the problems of Savannahians. Describe some situations involving alcohol which are considered quite ordinary in Savannah and would probably be frowned upon anywhere else.
Essay Topic 3
From whose perspective is this story told? Why did the author choose this point of view? What does this perspective allow the author to do that he could not have done with any other? Explain.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)