|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens less than a month after Williams' Christmas party?
2. Who is Minerva?
3. What does Judge Oliver do in court every day?
4. What happens at the end of the trial?
5. What makes the narrator real in the end?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens a few weeks after Jim's Christmas party?
2. What news gradually supersedes Jim's murder case in Savannah?
3. What seems to ease Mrs. Williams' mind about the rumors of Jim's homosexuality?
4. What prompts Joe Odom to issue a veiled threat to the narrator about the narrator's presence in Savannah?
5. What fact does Sonny use to Jim's benefit to speed up the trial?
6. How is Savannah described in Chapter 30?
7. What is Joe's opinion about Jim's prospects?
8. How does Chapter 27 begin?
9. Why do Jim and Minerva visit Danny's grave?
10. What are the implications of homosexuality in Jim's trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Jim Williams symbolize the upper class of Savannah society? What rights and privileges do Williams and his peers enjoy? How does Williams' nouveau riche status alter his perception slightly from those who come from well-established money?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the differences in perspective about Savannah that the narrator has at the beginning of the story compared to his view of the city at the end of the story. What preconceived notions does he arrive with? How does he feel about the city after his experiences there?
Essay Topic 3
What is Savannah's obsession with cemeteries? Explain the scene when the narrator is treated to a tour which ends up with a visit to a cemetery, complete with a cold martini. What is the symbolism of burying secrets as well as people?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)