|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim Williams uses his money to get his way while Joe Odom uses his _______________.
2. Who orders a new trial for Williams?
3. Who is not invited to the event but crashes it anyway?
4. What does Williams' emphasize on the stand?
5. Why does Minerva get angry at Danny's grave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the implications of homosexuality in Jim's trial?
2. What is Joe's opinion about Jim's prospects?
3. What is the outcome of Jim's second trial?
4. What is the verdict in Jim's third trial?
5. How does Jim spend his time while incarcerated?
6. What is the Garden of Good and Evil?
7. What does Jim plan for his mother while he is incarcerated?
8. What are the circumstances of Jim's fourth trial?
9. What is Jim's situation at the end of Chapter 25?
10. What is the Black Debutante Ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jim Williams and Joe Odom. How are they similar? How are they dissimilar? How do they each manage to survive in Savannah society?
Essay Topic 2
Martin Luther King, Jr. once referred to Savannah as the "most desegregated city in the South." What did he mean by this phrase? What is the state of black and white relations in the book? Explain whether King's statement is still true based on the book's events.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of isolation is an important one in this story. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)