|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Williams' appeal fails, he will either transform Mercer House into a rehab center or ______________________________________________.
2. Jim Williams uses his money to get his way while Joe Odom uses his _______________.
3. What are Williams, his mother and sister doing as they wait for the jury's verdict?
4. What makes the narrator real in the end?
5. What is the verdict reached by the jury?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jim's mother behave during Jim's incarceration?
2. What news gradually supersedes Jim's murder case in Savannah?
3. Why is Sonny Seiler confident that Jim's second trial will be speedy with a positive outcome?
4. What are the circumstances of Jim's fourth trial?
5. What is the Black Debutante Ball?
6. What is Jim's situation at the end of Chapter 25?
7. What is the verdict in Jim's third trial?
8. What is the Garden of Good and Evil?
9. What happens a few weeks after Jim's Christmas party?
10. What is Joe's opinion about Jim's prospects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Savannah's obsession with cemeteries? Explain the scene when the narrator is treated to a tour which ends up with a visit to a cemetery, complete with a cold martini. What is the symbolism of burying secrets as well as people?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of the book's title. What does the author mean by the garden? What is meant by the midnight hour as it relates to good and evil?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Jim's overly-confident demeanor during his trials, incarcerations and appeals. What fundamental beliefs does he have that he will be exonerated? Do you think Jim ever experienced any periods of doubt? Explain.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)