|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Minerva live?
2. What does Williams call his black cellmates?
3. Who is not invited to the event but crashes it anyway?
4. Who moves into Mercer House while Williams is in jail?
5. How long does the jury deliberate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's opinion of Savannah's unique qualities?
2. How does Jim's mother behave during Jim's incarceration?
3. Describe Judge Oliver's behavior in court to show his boredom with the case.
4. Describe Minerva.
5. What is the verdict in Jim's third trial?
6. Why do Jim and Minerva visit Danny's grave?
7. What is the result of the trial?
8. How does Bobby Cook get Jim a new trial?
9. What is the outcome of Jim's second trial?
10. What is Joe's opinion about Jim's prospects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jim Williams and Joe Odom. How are they similar? How are they dissimilar? How do they each manage to survive in Savannah society?
Essay Topic 2
Define the nature of this book. How is it a non-fiction piece? What makes it a work of fiction? How are the two styles blended to make a credible story?
Essay Topic 3
Savannah seems to be a city of contrasts in that it tolerates eccentrics like men who wear eye shadow and walk invisible dogs to intolerance for homosexuals and unmarried women. Explain the nature of Savannah's culture that allows some behaviors to thrive unnoticed and some which are usually considered to be normal to be considered offensive.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)