|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is at the core of all of Savannah's problems?
2. In whose involvement of the case does Williams show more interest?
3. Why does Minerva get angry at Danny's grave?
4. What does Williams do from jail?
5. Who is Minerva?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jim plan for his mother while he is incarcerated?
2. Describe Judge Oliver's behavior in court to show his boredom with the case.
3. How does Jim's mother behave during Jim's incarceration?
4. What happens after Jim is taken to jail?
5. What happens a few weeks after Jim's Christmas party?
6. What is the Garden of Good and Evil?
7. How does Bobby Cook get Jim a new trial?
8. How does Chapter 27 begin?
9. What does Jim tell the narrator about the night Danny was killed?
10. Why is Sonny Seiler confident that Jim's second trial will be speedy with a positive outcome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does alcohol play in the story? The author seems to think it is the core of most of the problems of Savannahians. Describe some situations involving alcohol which are considered quite ordinary in Savannah and would probably be frowned upon anywhere else.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Jim's overly-confident demeanor during his trials, incarcerations and appeals. What fundamental beliefs does he have that he will be exonerated? Do you think Jim ever experienced any periods of doubt? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What does Danny Hansford symbolize in Savannah society? What is his relationship with Jim Williams? Is it unfeasible for either one of them to believe that they could have any type of relationship given the chasm between their places in society?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)