|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Uga?
2. Who is still going to work on Williams' behalf?
3. With whom does the narrator watch the parade?
4. What happens with Williams' fourth trial?
5. Who is the judge at Jim's trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to ease Mrs. Williams' mind about the rumors of Jim's homosexuality?
2. Describe Judge Oliver's behavior in court to show his boredom with the case.
3. Describe Uga.
4. What does Jim plan for his mother while he is incarcerated?
5. What is the Black Debutante Ball?
6. Why does Joe get in trouble for giving tours of the Hamilton-Turner House where he is residing?
7. What is the narrator's opinion of Savannah's unique qualities?
8. What is the verdict in Jim's third trial?
9. What prompts Joe Odom to issue a veiled threat to the narrator about the narrator's presence in Savannah?
10. What is the outcome of Jim's second trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Jim Williams symbolize the upper class of Savannah society? What rights and privileges do Williams and his peers enjoy? How does Williams' nouveau riche status alter his perception slightly from those who come from well-established money?
Essay Topic 2
Savannah seems to be highly populated with eccentrics. Describe some of the characters and their behaviors which make them unusual? Given the eccentricities, is there anything that is too unusual for Savannah? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of the book's title. What does the author mean by the garden? What is meant by the midnight hour as it relates to good and evil?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)