|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the prosecutor bring to light about Williams?
2. Williams goes back to his _________________________.
3. What does Williams plan for the first time in eight years?
4. What is at the core of all of Savannah's problems?
5. After two days of deliberation, the jury is still split _____________ in favor of Williams' conviction.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Jim and Minerva visit Danny's grave?
2. What is the verdict in Jim's third trial?
3. How does Jim's mother behave during Jim's incarceration?
4. How does Chapter 27 begin?
5. What news gradually supersedes Jim's murder case in Savannah?
6. What are the circumstances of Jim's fourth trial?
7. What is the nature of the bad news facing Jim in Chapter 24?
8. What fact does Sonny use to Jim's benefit to speed up the trial?
9. What happens after Jim is taken to jail?
10. What happens a few weeks after Jim's Christmas party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What element of society is represented by Danny Hansford? What is the author's message about the implications of trying to blend social classes? What is Savannah's perception of Danny both before and after his death?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the differences in perspective about Savannah that the narrator has at the beginning of the story compared to his view of the city at the end of the story. What preconceived notions does he arrive with? How does he feel about the city after his experiences there?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Jim's overly-confident demeanor during his trials, incarcerations and appeals. What fundamental beliefs does he have that he will be exonerated? Do you think Jim ever experienced any periods of doubt? Explain.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)