|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim Williams uses his money to get his way while Joe Odom uses his _______________.
2. Mrs. Williams asks a party guest about Williams' _____________________.
3. Where is Williams' fourth trial held?
4. What is the nature of the call for a new trial?
5. How is homosexuality perceived in Savannah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Garden of Good and Evil?
2. How does Jim's mother behave during Jim's incarceration?
3. What fact does Sonny use to Jim's benefit to speed up the trial?
4. What is the Black Debutante Ball?
5. What does Jim plan for his mother while he is incarcerated?
6. Describe Minerva.
7. What prompts Joe Odom to issue a veiled threat to the narrator about the narrator's presence in Savannah?
8. What does Jim tell the narrator about the night Danny was killed?
9. How does Jim spend his time while incarcerated?
10. What is Joe's opinion about Jim's prospects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters is lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Jim's overly-confident demeanor during his trials, incarcerations and appeals. What fundamental beliefs does he have that he will be exonerated? Do you think Jim ever experienced any periods of doubt? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is Savannah's obsession with cemeteries? Explain the scene when the narrator is treated to a tour which ends up with a visit to a cemetery, complete with a cold martini. What is the symbolism of burying secrets as well as people?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)