|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says Savannah is full of ___________________________________________.
2. For what annual event is Jim Williams famous?
3. Who works in Jim Williams' antique shop?
4. What does Danny ask Corinne to do?
5. What are Spencer Lawton's characteristics?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Joe Odom becoming increasingly unpopular in Savannah?
2. Where do Joe and his girlfriend, Mandy, go after they are evicted for not paying rent?
3. Who is Chablis?
4. Who is Luther Driggers?
5. Why does Chablis call the narrator?
6. Why is Luther known as "the inventor?"
7. Why does Joe Odom move out of the Pulaski House?
8. How does the narrator develop a fascination with Savannah?
9. What preconceived notions does the narrator have about Savannah?
10. Describe Jim's mother.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Savannah seems to be highly populated with eccentrics. Describe some of the characters and their behaviors which make them unusual? Given the eccentricities, is there anything that is too unusual for Savannah? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in the South is also addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters? How is the Married Woman's Card Club both inclusive and prejudicial at the same time? What is the presumed role of women in Savannah. Explain by giving examples.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of the book's title. What does the author mean by the garden? What is meant by the midnight hour as it relates to good and evil?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)