|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who works in Jim Williams' antique shop?
2. What is the amount of Williams' bond?
3. Chapter 11 begins with a _____________________________.
4. What does the narrator notice constantly coming from the house next to his apartment?
5. What is Joe's most powerful attribute?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Joe Odom's plans after Moon Tompkins steals the money from Emma's?
2. What is interesting about William Glover?
3. To what city do Savannahians sometimes compare their own?
4. What preconceived notions does the narrator have about Savannah?
5. What is the relationship between Corinne and Danny?
6. Who is Emma Kelly?
7. What do the police find when they arrive at Jim's home on the night of the murder?
8. What is the relationship between Jim Williams and Lee and Emma Adler?
9. What is the Married Woman's Card Club?
10. Why does Chablis call the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in the South is also addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters? How is the Married Woman's Card Club both inclusive and prejudicial at the same time? What is the presumed role of women in Savannah. Explain by giving examples.
Essay Topic 2
How does Jim Williams symbolize the upper class of Savannah society? What rights and privileges do Williams and his peers enjoy? How does Williams' nouveau riche status alter his perception slightly from those who come from well-established money?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the differences in perspective about Savannah that the narrator has at the beginning of the story compared to his view of the city at the end of the story. What preconceived notions does he arrive with? How does he feel about the city after his experiences there?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)