|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Corinne call Danny?
2. What is Williams' mother's name?
3. In addition to owning the business, Joe will also ______________________________.
4. Who lives in the house next door?
5. Who is the elderly black man entrusted to walk his employer's dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Corinne and Danny go to Bonaventure Cemetery?
2. Who is Chablis?
3. What rules does Joe give the narrator for surviving in Savannah?
4. What is the relationship between Corinne and Danny?
5. What is Jim's explanation of the murder?
6. What do the police find when they arrive at Jim's home on the night of the murder?
7. What role does alcohol play in Savannah?
8. Where do Joe and his girlfriend, Mandy, go after they are evicted for not paying rent?
9. Who is Emma Kelly?
10. Who are Jim's attorneys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Jim Williams symbolize the upper class of Savannah society? What rights and privileges do Williams and his peers enjoy? How does Williams' nouveau riche status alter his perception slightly from those who come from well-established money?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Jim's overly-confident demeanor during his trials, incarcerations and appeals. What fundamental beliefs does he have that he will be exonerated? Do you think Jim ever experienced any periods of doubt? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny Mercer is probably Savannah's most notable citizen. Who was he? Even though he is not a character in the book, how is his presence felt? Does Jim Williams think he is buying the Mercer mystique when he buys Mercer House? Explain.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)