|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Milton wear to his and Tessie's appointment with Dr. Luce for good luck?
2. Why is the Obscure Object transferred to Mr. da Silva's class?
3. Why do the homeless men beat Cal?
4. Who is the first person to pick Cal/Callie up when s/he begins hitchhiking?
5. What sort of business does Bob Presto own and run?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Desdemona reveal to Cal when he returns home?
2. What does Callie notice in Miss Grotowski's math class that makes her question her own physical development?
3. Describe the series of drivers who pick Cal/Callie up while s/he is hitch hiking.
4. Describe the series of medical examinations that leads to Callie being referred to Dr. Luce.
5. Describe the Baker-Inglis English class production of Antigone.
6. Describe the circumstances leading to Callie's injury.
7. Describe Zora Khyber.
8. Describe the circumstances that lead Milton to cancel the Stephanides family's trip to Turkey.
9. What steps does Callie take in this chapter to physically transform herself into Cal?
10. What masculine traits does Callie begin showing in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes in Middlesex is "you can't stop the inevitable". Discuss how Eugenides demonstrates this theme in the novel. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between tradition and the modernity in Middlesex. How does the author represent the traditional and the modern in the story? How do the two interact with each other? What is the impact of modernity on tradition? Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events that lead Calliope to decide to live her life as Cal. Then comment on his/her decision. Did s/he make the right decision? Why or why not? What would you have done if you were in the same situation?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)