|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Carmen?
2. Why does Dr. Luce show Callie a pornographic movie?
3. Which of the following does NOT occur at the hunting lodge?
4. What was Dr. Luce's main purpose for recommending the particular treatment that he does for Callie?
5. Who is Hermaphroditus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Desdemona reveal to Cal when he returns home?
2. How do Milton and Chapter Eleven attempt to "bury the hatchet" when Chapter Eleven returns home to support his parents following Callie's disappearance?
3. What masculine traits does Callie begin showing in this chapter?
4. Why does Callie have sex with Jerome?
5. Compare Milton's and Tessie's thoughts about Cal's hermaphroditism after she disappears
6. Describe the circumstances that lead Milton to cancel the Stephanides family's trip to Turkey.
7. How does Milton attempt to down play Callie's condition when telling her about the course of treatment?
8. How does Milton react to his impending death after running his car off of the bridge?
9. How does Tessie react to the fight that Milton has with the men during Sunday dinner?
10. Describe the dynamics of Zoe's and Father Mike's relationship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Middlesex, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Father Mike, Jimmy Zismo, Chapter Eleven or Sourmelina. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character.
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story.
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Middlesex, the setting of the story changes several times. Select one of the settings of the story: Turkey in the early 1900's, Detroit in the 1920's, Detroit/Grosse Point in the 1960's or Berlin in modern day.
1) Describe what happens in the story while the story is set in location and time period
2) Discuss the influence of the setting (place and time) on the story
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between tradition and the modernity in Middlesex. How does the author represent the traditional and the modern in the story? How do the two interact with each other? What is the impact of modernity on tradition? Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)