|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cal finally call home?
2. What does Callie do to try to remove the memory of having sex with Jerome?
3. How does Bob Presto know that Cal/Callie is not a college student?
4. Why do all of the Sunday dinner guests except for Father Mike and Zoe stop coming to Middlesex?
5. What does Jerome accuse Callie and the Object of being?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Milton react to his impending death after running his car off of the bridge?
2. Why does Father Mike pretend to be Callie's kidnapper?
3. How does Tessie react to the fight that Milton has with the men during Sunday dinner?
4. Describe the circumstances that lead Milton to cancel the Stephanides family's trip to Turkey.
5. Why does Callie not discover her hermaphroditism in this chapter?
6. Describe Dr. Luce's office.
7. Compare Milton's and Tessie's thoughts about Cal's hermaphroditism after she disappears
8. Describe Zora Khyber.
9. Why does Cal decide not to go to Milton's funeral?
10. Describe the changes in Chapter Eleven that Callie notices when he returns home from his freshman year at college.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters who influence the person that the narrator becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on her development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Cal/Calliope.
2) discuss the impact of this character on Cal/Calliope's life and personality.
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Cal/Calliope than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes Middlesex explores is "nature vs. nurture". Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Middlesex is a first person narrative written from the point of view of Cal. Discuss how this fact influences the story? What biases does Cal bring to the story? How would the nove be different if another character was telling the story? Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)