|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Milton decide to remove the briefcase of money for the kidnapper from the garbage can?
2. What is perplexing to Dr. Luce and his colleagues about Callie's condition?
3. What does Chapter Eleven believe gives him the ability to finally beat his father at ping-pong?
4. Why is the Obscure Object transferred to Mr. da Silva's class?
5. Who is the first person to pick Cal/Callie up when s/he begins hitchhiking?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Milton react to his impending death after running his car off of the bridge?
2. Why does Callie have sex with Jerome?
3. Why does Callie name her love interest "the Obscure Object"?
4. How does Milton attempt to down play Callie's condition when telling her about the course of treatment?
5. Compare Milton's and Tessie's thoughts about Cal's hermaphroditism after she disappears
6. Describe the circumstances that lead Milton to cancel the Stephanides family's trip to Turkey.
7. Describe the changes in Chapter Eleven that Callie notices when he returns home from his freshman year at college.
8. What is the connection between the mulberry tree outside of Middlesex and the silk industry?
9. How do Milton and Chapter Eleven attempt to "bury the hatchet" when Chapter Eleven returns home to support his parents following Callie's disappearance?
10. Describe Zora Khyber.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes in Middlesex is the American Dream. Discuss how the American Dream is used in this novel and what it says about the attainability of the dream. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Middlesex, the setting of the story changes several times. Select one of the settings of the story: Turkey in the early 1900's, Detroit in the 1920's, Detroit/Grosse Point in the 1960's or Berlin in modern day.
1) Describe what happens in the story while the story is set in location and time period
2) Discuss the influence of the setting (place and time) on the story
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Secrets play a major role in Middlesex. Discuss and analyze three secrets in the novel by:
1) Describing what is being kept a secret and why.
2) The impact of the secrets on the characters and plot of the story.
3) The commentary that the author is trying to make about secrets based on these examples.
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)