|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role is Callie assigned in her English class production of Antigone?
2. How do Callie and the Object react to Jerome's vampire movie shoot in the woods?
3. What is perplexing to Dr. Luce and his colleagues about Callie's condition?
4. What is Callie's first step in her physical transformation into a boy?
5. Where does Milton announce he wants the family to travel to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Meg Zemka's personality.
2. Describe Zora Khyber.
3. Describe the circumstances that lead Milton to cancel the Stephanides family's trip to Turkey.
4. How does Milton attempt to down play Callie's condition when telling her about the course of treatment?
5. Why does Callie name her love interest "the Obscure Object"?
6. Describe Dr. Luce's office.
7. Why does Cal decide not to go to Milton's funeral?
8. What do all of the women working at Sixty-Niners have in common?
9. Describe the series of drivers who pick Cal/Callie up while s/he is hitch hiking.
10. Describe the series of medical examinations that leads to Callie being referred to Dr. Luce.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes Middlesex explores is "nature vs. nurture". Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Middlesex is a first person narrative written from the point of view of Cal. Discuss how this fact influences the story? What biases does Cal bring to the story? How would the nove be different if another character was telling the story? Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters who influence the person that the narrator becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on her development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Cal/Calliope.
2) discuss the impact of this character on Cal/Calliope's life and personality.
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Cal/Calliope than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)