|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concerns Dr. Luce most about Callie's disappearance?
2. What does Milton wear to his and Tessie's appointment with Dr. Luce for good luck?
3. According to Dr. Luce which of the following is NOT an influence on gender identity?
4. Who does the Object develop a crush on that upsets Callie?
5. Which of the following changes in Callie is not typical for a girl to go through during puberty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Callie have sex with Jerome?
2. Describe the circumstances leading to Callie's injury.
3. Why does Cal decide not to go to Milton's funeral?
4. Describe Meg Zemka's personality.
5. Describe Zora Khyber.
6. Why does Callie name her love interest "the Obscure Object"?
7. Describe the series of drivers who pick Cal/Callie up while s/he is hitch hiking.
8. Describe the series of medical examinations that leads to Callie being referred to Dr. Luce.
9. How does Milton attempt to down play Callie's condition when telling her about the course of treatment?
10. What steps does Callie take in this chapter to physically transform herself into Cal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Secrets play a major role in Middlesex. Discuss and analyze three secrets in the novel by:
1) Describing what is being kept a secret and why.
2) The impact of the secrets on the characters and plot of the story.
3) The commentary that the author is trying to make about secrets based on these examples.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Middlesex, the setting of the story changes several times. Select one of the settings of the story: Turkey in the early 1900's, Detroit in the 1920's, Detroit/Grosse Point in the 1960's or Berlin in modern day.
1) Describe what happens in the story while the story is set in location and time period
2) Discuss the influence of the setting (place and time) on the story
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The influence of parents on children is a recurring topic in Middlesex. Select two of the following pairs and discuss the relationship between the parent and child. Focus your discussion on the ways the the parent does or does not influence the child's development (physical, emotional, social and intellectual). Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
1) Desdemona and Milton
2) Tessie and Calliope
3) Milton and Chapter Eleven
4) Lefty and Milton
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)