|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do all of the Sunday dinner guests except for Father Mike and Zoe stop coming to Middlesex?
2. What business venture does Milton begin with the remaining money from the insurance settlement on the Zebra Room?
3. Who is Hermaphroditus?
4. How do Callie and the Object react to Jerome's vampire movie shoot in the woods?
5. What leads Milton to believe that the man calling him has kidnapped Callie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dr. Luce's office.
2. What does Desdemona reveal to Cal when he returns home?
3. How does Tessie react to the fight that Milton has with the men during Sunday dinner?
4. What masculine traits does Callie begin showing in this chapter?
5. Describe Zora Khyber.
6. Describe the circumstances that lead Milton to cancel the Stephanides family's trip to Turkey.
7. Describe the dynamics of Zoe's and Father Mike's relationship.
8. Why does Callie not discover her hermaphroditism in this chapter?
9. What is the connection between the mulberry tree outside of Middlesex and the silk industry?
10. What steps does Callie take in this chapter to physically transform herself into Cal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes in Middlesex is the American Dream. Discuss how the American Dream is used in this novel and what it says about the attainability of the dream. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Middlesex, the setting of the story changes several times. Select one of the settings of the story: Turkey in the early 1900's, Detroit in the 1920's, Detroit/Grosse Point in the 1960's or Berlin in modern day.
1) Describe what happens in the story while the story is set in location and time period
2) Discuss the influence of the setting (place and time) on the story
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In Middlesex, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Father Mike, Jimmy Zismo, Chapter Eleven or Sourmelina. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character.
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story.
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)