|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition must Desdemona meet to be hired by the Temple No. 1?
2. What does Desdemona fear will happen to Lefty?
3. Who marries Lefty and Desdemona on the boat?
4. Why did Sourmelina's parents send her to America?
5. What does Chapter Eleven do after the church service that shocks and frightens Tessie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Desdemona react to the speeches that she hears through the heating grates while working in the Silk Room?
2. Describe Desdemona's transformation after Calliope's birth.
3. Why do Tessie and Milton want a baby daughter so badly?
4. Describe the village of Bithynios.
5. Describe Desdemona's silkworm box and its contents.
6. Describe the narrator in Book 2, Ex Ovo Omina.
7. Describe Detroit in 1967.
8. Describe the events that allow Desdemona and Lefty to depart from Smyrna.
9. Describe Marcus Wyxzewixard Challouehliczilczese Grimes.
10. Describe the Greek General Hajienestis.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Middlesex is a first person narrative written from the point of view of Cal. Discuss how this fact influences the story? What biases does Cal bring to the story? How would the nove be different if another character was telling the story? Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the narrator's lives as Calliope and Cal. How are they similar? How are they different? Which identity (Cal or Calliope) do you believe is his/her "true" self?Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events that lead Calliope to decide to live her life as Cal. Then comment on his/her decision. Did s/he make the right decision? Why or why not? What would you have done if you were in the same situation?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)