|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callie witness late one night that foreshadows the violent turn that the riots will take?
2. What is the "maze" that Jimmy tells Lefty women should be "shut up in"?
3. How does Lefty communicate with Calliope?
4. What is the cause of Desdemona's heart palpitations?
5. Which of the following is NOT a criterion in the real estate "Point System"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Greek General Hajienestis.
2. How does Jimmy Zismo change during Sourmelina's pregnancy?
3. What goes through Tessie's mind as she watches movies at the theatre?
4. What is the conflict between Desdemona and Lefty in the chapter "Marriage on Ice"?
5. Describe Marcus Wyxzewixard Challouehliczilczese Grimes.
6. Describe Calliope's baptism.
7. Describe Desdemona's appearance.
8. Why do Tessie and Milton want a baby daughter so badly?
9. Why does Desdemona become concerned about her unborn child after talking with Dr. Philobosian?
10. What is particular significance of Lefty and Desdemona (brother and sister) marrying for Cal/Calliope, the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Middlesex looks at the relationship between gender and physical sex (i.e. male or female body parts and hormones). Discuss what the novel says about:
1) the relationship between the two. Are they always the same or different? Why?
2) what influences gender? Is physical sex the only thing that determines gender? What else influences gender?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Then comment on the novel's view points. Do you agree or disagree with what the novel says about the relationship between gender and physical sex? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters who influence the person that the narrator becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on her development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Cal/Calliope.
2) discuss the impact of this character on Cal/Calliope's life and personality.
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Cal/Calliope than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between tradition and the modernity in Middlesex. How does the author represent the traditional and the modern in the story? How do the two interact with each other? What is the impact of modernity on tradition? Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)