|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chapter Eleven do after the church service that shocks and frightens Tessie?
2. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
3. Which of the following statements best describes Uncle Pete?
4. Which of the following statements best describes Lefty?
5. Which of the following adjectives best describes the scenes of Milton in Navy training?
Short Essay Questions
1. What goes through Tessie's mind as she watches movies at the theatre?
2. Describe Detroit in 1967.
3. Describe Desdemona's appearance.
4. Why does Desdemona become concerned about her unborn child after talking with Dr. Philobosian?
5. Compare Lefty's original Zebra Room to Milton's version of the Zebra Room.
6. How does the narrator characterize Lefty's gradual demise?
7. What does Milton do to convince the realtor to sell him Middlesex?
8. How do Dr. Philobosian's and Uncle Pete's views on conception differ?
9. Why do Desdemona and Lefty pretend that they do not know each other while aboard the Giulia?
10. Why does Lefty not marry either of the village girls that Desdemona attempts to set him up with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Luce's study of Cal/Calliope not only explains his/her medical condition, but also causes him/her to make the decision to change genders.
1) Describe Dr. Luce's conclusions about Cal/Calliope's medical condition. What is his diagnosis? What does he propose as a course of treatment?
2) Analyze the accuracy of Dr. Luce's conclusions. Did he correctly diagnose Cal/Calliope? Why or why not? Was his course of treatment appropriate? Why or why not?
3) Discuss how Cal/Calliope's life would have been different if s/he had continued to work with Dr. Luce and had followed his course of treatment.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Secrets play a major role in Middlesex. Discuss and analyze three secrets in the novel by:
1) Describing what is being kept a secret and why.
2) The impact of the secrets on the characters and plot of the story.
3) The commentary that the author is trying to make about secrets based on these examples.
Essay Topic 3
In Middlesex, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Father Mike, Jimmy Zismo, Chapter Eleven or Sourmelina. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character.
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story.
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)