|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lefty manage to keep the men in the gaming room from stealing his winnings?
2. What does Desdemona promise St. Christopher she will do if Milton is spared injury in the war?
3. Why does the silk Lefty sells in the market not earn much money?
4. What does Chapter Eleven do after the church service that shocks and frightens Tessie?
5. Who marries Lefty and Desdemona on the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Desdemona do when she hears that Milton's Navy unit will be going to war?
2. How does Desdemona react to the speeches that she hears through the heating grates while working in the Silk Room?
3. Describe Detroit in 1967.
4. Describe Fard Muhammad's beliefs about the evolution of race.
5. Describe Desdemona's silkworm box and its contents.
6. What goes through Tessie's mind as she watches movies at the theatre?
7. How does the narrator characterize Lefty's gradual demise?
8. Describe the village of Bithynios.
9. Why do the Ford Sociological Department workers visit Lefty's home? What do they find that concerns them?
10. Why does Lefty visit the town of Bursa so often?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the events that lead Calliope to decide to live her life as Cal. Then comment on his/her decision. Did s/he make the right decision? Why or why not? What would you have done if you were in the same situation?
Essay Topic 2
The influence of parents on children is a recurring topic in Middlesex. Select two of the following pairs and discuss the relationship between the parent and child. Focus your discussion on the ways the the parent does or does not influence the child's development (physical, emotional, social and intellectual). Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
1) Desdemona and Milton
2) Tessie and Calliope
3) Milton and Chapter Eleven
4) Lefty and Milton
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes in Middlesex is the American Dream. Discuss how the American Dream is used in this novel and what it says about the attainability of the dream. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)