|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
2. What does Desdemona promise St. Christopher she will do if Milton is spared injury in the war?
3. How do Lefty's and Dr. Philobosian's paths cross?
4. What artistic medium does Julie Kikuchi work with?
5. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to when they arrive in the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Dr. Philobosian's and Uncle Pete's views on conception differ?
2. Describe Desdemona's silkworm box and its contents.
3. Describe Desdemona's appearance.
4. What does Desdemona do when she hears that Milton's Navy unit will be going to war?
5. Describe Marcus Wyxzewixard Challouehliczilczese Grimes.
6. Why does Lefty not marry either of the village girls that Desdemona attempts to set him up with?
7. Describe Detroit in 1967.
8. Describe Calliope's baptism.
9. Compare Lefty's original Zebra Room to Milton's version of the Zebra Room.
10. How does the narrator characterize Lefty's gradual demise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Middlesex, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Father Mike, Jimmy Zismo, Chapter Eleven or Sourmelina. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character.
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story.
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the events that lead Calliope to decide to live her life as Cal. Then comment on his/her decision. Did s/he make the right decision? Why or why not? What would you have done if you were in the same situation?
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes Middlesex explores is "nature vs. nurture". Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)