|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition must Desdemona meet to be hired by the Temple No. 1?
2. What is the only article of modern technology does the superstitious and traditional Desdemona embraces?
3. What commentary on beauty does Julie Kikuchi make in this chapter?
4. In "Opa!", why is Milton suddenly around the house more than at the diner?
5. What does Uncle Pete encourage Tessie and Milton to do to ensure their baby will be a girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Calliope's baptism.
2. What does Milton do to convince the realtor to sell him Middlesex?
3. Why is Desdemona fearful about Tessie and Milton's burgeoning romantic relationship?
4. Describe the Greek General Hajienestis.
5. What does Desdemona do when she hears that Milton's Navy unit will be going to war?
6. Describe Sourmelina's appearance when Lefty and Desdemona first arrive in Detroit. What is the significance of the way she looks?
7. Describe Desdemona's transformation after Calliope's birth.
8. Why do Tessie and Milton want a baby daughter so badly?
9. Why do the Ford Sociological Department workers visit Lefty's home? What do they find that concerns them?
10. What goes through Tessie's mind as she watches movies at the theatre?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides juxtaposes scenes from the past with the narrator's present life in Berlin. Select one of the chapters where he does this and:
1) Describe the past and present scenes presented in the chapter.
2) Discuss the relationship between the two scenes. What do the two scenes have to do with each other? Why does Eugenides choose to place these two scenes from different time periods within the same chapter?
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes in Middlesex is the American Dream. Discuss how the American Dream is used in this novel and what it says about the attainability of the dream. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Secrets play a major role in Middlesex. Discuss and analyze three secrets in the novel by:
1) Describing what is being kept a secret and why.
2) The impact of the secrets on the characters and plot of the story.
3) The commentary that the author is trying to make about secrets based on these examples.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)