|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Callie's initial impression of the Obscure Object?
(a) She falls deeply in love with her.
(b) She is put off by her disinterested attitude.
(c) She is awed by her natural beauty especially her freckles.
(d) She hardly notices the new girl in her English class because she is so absorbed in The Illiad.
2. According to Dr. Luce which of the following is NOT an influence on gender identity?
(b) Sex of rearing.
3. Why does the Object say she is happy that Callie's family is going on vacation to Turkey?
(a) She wants to have a chance to spend more time with Rex.
(b) She does not want her brother, Jerome to seduce Callie.
(c) She feels like her relationship with Callie is becoming too weird.
(d) She is concerned about Callie's romantic advances towards her.
4. Why do the homeless men beat Cal?
(a) They attempt to rape Cal and he tries to resist.
(b) Cal refuses to give them money.
(c) They discover that Cal is a hermaphrodite.
(d) Cal refuses to give them drugs.
5. Which of the following is NOT a reason why Callie is concerned about her upcoming appointment with Dr. Bauer?
(a) The Object tells Callie that the exam is painful.
(b) The Object tells Callie that Dr. Bauer is perverted.
(c) He is a gynecologist and she knows that her genitals are different than other girls'.
(d) Callie is concerned that he will be able to tell that she is sexually attracted to girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concerns Dr. Luce most about Callie's disappearance?
2. Why is the Obscure Object transferred to Mr. da Silva's class?
3. What is Callie's first step in her physical transformation into a boy?
4. How does Milton die?
5. What surprises Cal most about Desdemona's appearance when he sees her for the first time since returning home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cal decide not to go to Milton's funeral?
2. Describe the series of drivers who pick Cal/Callie up while s/he is hitch hiking.
3. What does Callie notice in Miss Grotowski's math class that makes her question her own physical development?
4. Describe the changes in Chapter Eleven that Callie notices when he returns home from his freshman year at college.
5. What do all of the women working at Sixty-Niners have in common?
6. What masculine traits does Callie begin showing in this chapter?
7. How do Milton and Chapter Eleven attempt to "bury the hatchet" when Chapter Eleven returns home to support his parents following Callie's disappearance?
8. What information does Callie get about her condition when she meets with Dr. Luce?
9. Describe the Baker-Inglis English class production of Antigone.
10. Why does Callie name her love interest "the Obscure Object"?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)