|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a reason why Callie is concerned about her upcoming appointment with Dr. Bauer?
(a) He is a gynecologist and she knows that her genitals are different than other girls'.
(b) The Object tells Callie that the exam is painful.
(c) The Object tells Callie that Dr. Bauer is perverted.
(d) Callie is concerned that he will be able to tell that she is sexually attracted to girls.
2. How does Tessie react to Cal when he returns home?
(a) She fully accepts his decision to live as a male.
(b) She does not understand his decision to run away and to live as a male, but she is working on accepting it.
(c) She rejects him because she wants him to go back to living as a girl.
(d) She ignores him because she is so focused on preparing for Milton's funeral.
3. How does Jerome react to Callie's abnormal genitals?
(a) He laughs and ridicules her.
(b) He points them out to the Object and Rex.
(c) He does not notice anything unusual because he is so pleased that he has had sex.
(d) He does not say anything at the lodge, but later tells Rex and his friends.
4. Which of the following changes in Callie is not typical for a girl to go through during puberty?
(a) Growing armpit hair.
(b) Lowering of the voice.
(c) Growing public hair.
(d) Breast development.
5. Who is Carmen?
(a) A pre-op male to female transsexual who works at Bob's club.
(b) The announcer for Octopussy's Garden.
(c) A woman who Cal rents a room from.
(d) A woman with Androgen Insensitivity who works at Bob's club.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Object's father do while driving Callie to the family's summer home in Petoskey?
2. Who poses the greatest threat to Cal, Matt and the other Deadheads living in Golden Gate Park?
3. Who is Mr. da Silva?
4. According to Dr. Luce which of the following is NOT an influence on gender identity?
5. Where do Rex and Jerome take Callie and the Object while they are vacationing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Meg Zemka's personality.
2. Why does Cal decide not to go to Milton's funeral?
3. What is the connection between the mulberry tree outside of Middlesex and the silk industry?
4. Describe the series of drivers who pick Cal/Callie up while s/he is hitch hiking.
5. Describe Zora Khyber.
6. What do all of the women working at Sixty-Niners have in common?
7. Why does Callie not discover her hermaphroditism in this chapter?
8. Describe the Baker-Inglis English class production of Antigone.
9. Compare Milton's and Tessie's thoughts about Cal's hermaphroditism after she disappears
10. What information does Callie get about her condition when she meets with Dr. Luce?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)