|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What synonym for "hermaphrodite" does Callie see in the dictionary that upsets her?
2. How does Callie avoid going to the theatre with her parents?
(a) She stays at the clinic with Dr. Luce.
(b) She runs away from the hotel.
(c) She tells them she is too tired.
(d) She tells them she has menstrual cramps.
3. Who is the kidnapper?
(a) Dr. Philobosian.
(b) Father Mike.
(c) Chapter Eleven
4. Which of the following is NOT a reason why Callie is concerned about her upcoming appointment with Dr. Bauer?
(a) The Object tells Callie that Dr. Bauer is perverted.
(b) Callie is concerned that he will be able to tell that she is sexually attracted to girls.
(c) The Object tells Callie that the exam is painful.
(d) He is a gynecologist and she knows that her genitals are different than other girls'.
5. Why do all of the Sunday dinner guests except for Father Mike and Zoe stop coming to Middlesex?
(a) Milton's political loyalties lie with the U.S. while the other men's lie with Greece.
(b) The men broke Milton and Tessie's good coffee cups.
(c) Milton is offended by the men's comments about Tessie's cooking.
(d) Milton throws the men out of his home after an argument.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Callie's physical development compare to that of the other girls in her sixth grade class?
2. Why does Cal want Chapter Eleven to drive through Detroit on their way home for Milton's funeral?
3. According to Dr. Luce which of the following is NOT an influence on gender identity?
4. What does the Object tell Callie that she (Callie) sees "no irony in"?
5. Who creates the Hercules Hot Dogs style of cooking hot dogs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Baker-Inglis English class production of Antigone.
2. Compare Milton's and Tessie's thoughts about Cal's hermaphroditism after she disappears
3. What do all of the women working at Sixty-Niners have in common?
4. Why does Callie have sex with Jerome?
5. How does Tessie react to the fight that Milton has with the men during Sunday dinner?
6. How does Milton react to his impending death after running his car off of the bridge?
7. How do Milton and Chapter Eleven attempt to "bury the hatchet" when Chapter Eleven returns home to support his parents following Callie's disappearance?
8. Why does Callie name her love interest "the Obscure Object"?
9. What masculine traits does Callie begin showing in this chapter?
10. Why does Callie not discover her hermaphroditism in this chapter?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)