|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Callie do to try to get to know the Obscure Object better?
(a) Callie begins smoking because she knows that the Object is also a smoker.
(b) Callie joins the Drama Club so that she can be in the play with the Object.
(c) Callie writes a note to the Object asking her to come over to Middlesex to have dinner.
(d) Callie agrees to help the girl learn her lines for their class play.
2. Why does Cal finally call home?
(a) He wants to explain why he ran away to his parents.
(b) He does not want his parents to worry about him.
(c) He has out of money and needs his parents so send him more.
(d) He has been arrested while working at Bob's club.
3. What surprises Cal most about Desdemona's appearance when he sees her for the first time since returning home?
(a) She seems to have aged considerably.
(b) She is still confined to her bed.
(c) She has lost weight because of inactivity.
(d) She does not have her hair in her traditional hair net.
4. Why do the homeless men beat Cal?
(a) They discover that Cal is a hermaphrodite.
(b) Cal refuses to give them money.
(c) Cal refuses to give them drugs.
(d) They attempt to rape Cal and he tries to resist.
5. Which of the following is NOT a reason why Callie is concerned about her upcoming appointment with Dr. Bauer?
(a) Callie is concerned that he will be able to tell that she is sexually attracted to girls.
(b) The Object tells Callie that Dr. Bauer is perverted.
(c) The Object tells Callie that the exam is painful.
(d) He is a gynecologist and she knows that her genitals are different than other girls'.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Callie and the Object spend most of their days in the summer?
2. Which of Callie's physical changes most annoys Tessie?
3. Where does Milton announce he wants the family to travel to?
4. Why do Tessie, Milton and Callie travel to New York City?
5. What role is Callie assigned in her English class production of Antigone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Desdemona reveal to Cal when he returns home?
2. Compare and contrast Milton's and Chapter Eleven's views on the Vietnam War.
3. Why does Callie not discover her hermaphroditism in this chapter?
4. Why does Callie have sex with Jerome?
5. How does Tessie react to the fight that Milton has with the men during Sunday dinner?
6. Compare Milton's and Tessie's thoughts about Cal's hermaphroditism after she disappears
7. Describe the circumstances that lead Milton to cancel the Stephanides family's trip to Turkey.
8. Describe Dr. Luce's office.
9. Describe the series of drivers who pick Cal/Callie up while s/he is hitch hiking.
10. Describe the series of medical examinations that leads to Callie being referred to Dr. Luce.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)