|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who discovers Callie's unusual genitals in this chapter?
(a) Dr. Luce.
(b) The Object.
(c) The emergency room doctor and nurse.
2. Why do Tessie, Milton and Callie travel to New York City?
(a) To visit Chapter Eleven at college.
(b) To visit the Sexual Disorders and Gender Identity Clinic.
(c) For Callie to have abdominal surgery following her tractor injury.
(d) For a relaxing family vacation.
3. What does Cal/Callie say the hardest adjustment is that s/he has to make in choosing to live as a man?
(a) Getting used to using men's bathrooms.
(b) Dressing like a man.
(c) Asking women out on dates.
(d) Walking like a man.
4. What is Jerome's hobby?
(b) Making horror movies.
(c) Watching horror movies.
5. What does Jerome accuse Callie and the Object of being?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Callie avoid going to the theatre with her parents?
2. Why does Callie hide in the basement bathroom at Baker-Inglis?
3. What role is Callie assigned in her English class production of Antigone?
4. What does Callie do to convince her mother that she does not need to visit the gynecologist?
5. Why do the homeless men beat Cal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tessie react to the fight that Milton has with the men during Sunday dinner?
2. Describe Meg Zemka's personality.
3. What steps does Callie take in this chapter to physically transform herself into Cal?
4. Describe Zora Khyber.
5. Describe the circumstances that lead Milton to cancel the Stephanides family's trip to Turkey.
6. Describe the series of medical examinations that leads to Callie being referred to Dr. Luce.
7. How does Milton attempt to down play Callie's condition when telling her about the course of treatment?
8. Describe the changes in Chapter Eleven that Callie notices when he returns home from his freshman year at college.
9. Why does Callie name her love interest "the Obscure Object"?
10. What is the connection between the mulberry tree outside of Middlesex and the silk industry?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)