|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Object tell Callie that she (Callie) sees "no irony in"?
(a) The Object has romantic feelings for Callie.
(b) She and Jerome were never meant to be.
(c) Jerome's movie is sure to be a flop.
(d) Callie would be the perfect boyfriend.
2. Why do the homeless men beat Cal?
(a) They discover that Cal is a hermaphrodite.
(b) Cal refuses to give them drugs.
(c) They attempt to rape Cal and he tries to resist.
(d) Cal refuses to give them money.
3. Why is Ben Scheer so generous towards Cal/Callie?
(a) Ben is too drunk to realize that he continues to pay for Cal/Callie's food, drink and lodging.
(b) Ben wants to convince Cal/Callie to go into business with him.
(c) Ben is a kind hearted man who wants to help Cal/Callie.
(d) Ben believes Cal/Callie is a gay man and hopes to have sex with him.
4. What does Callie do to try to remove the memory of having sex with Jerome?
(a) She decides to pretend like it never happened.
(b) She confesses to the Object hoping that telling her will make her feel better.
(c) She tells Jerome to never come near her again.
(d) She scrubs her body repeatedly during her morning shower.
5. Who poses the greatest threat to Cal, Matt and the other Deadheads living in Golden Gate Park?
(a) The police.
(b) Dr. Luce.
(c) Their parents.
(d) The homeless men living on the other side of the field.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a reason why Tessie and Milton feed their family only traditional Greek foods?
2. What surprises Cal most about Desdemona's appearance when he sees her for the first time since returning home?
3. Why does Dr. Luce show Callie a pornographic movie?
4. Why is Tessie angry at Milton after his death?
5. What does Milton wear to his and Tessie's appointment with Dr. Luce for good luck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Milton's and Tessie's thoughts about Cal's hermaphroditism after she disappears
2. Describe the circumstances that lead Milton to cancel the Stephanides family's trip to Turkey.
3. What is the connection between the mulberry tree outside of Middlesex and the silk industry?
4. What masculine traits does Callie begin showing in this chapter?
5. What does Callie notice in Miss Grotowski's math class that makes her question her own physical development?
6. Describe the Baker-Inglis English class production of Antigone.
7. What do all of the women working at Sixty-Niners have in common?
8. How does Milton react to his impending death after running his car off of the bridge?
9. What steps does Callie take in this chapter to physically transform herself into Cal?
10. Why does Father Mike pretend to be Callie's kidnapper?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)