|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Desdemona fear will happen to Lefty?
(a) He will never marry and will die alone.
(b) He will become a smoker and alcoholic.
(c) He will marry an unattractive Turkish woman.
(d) He will marry a village girl and will leave Desdemona alone to care for the cocoonery.
2. In the chapter "Tricknology", what does Lefty do to help supplement his income?
(a) He solicits women to pose for pornographic photos taken by his friend Maurice.
(b) He rents a room in the family's home to a customer from the Zebra Room.
(c) He serves as a driver for his friend Maurice during the day.
(d) He extends the operating hours of the Zebra Room.
3. Why are realtors reluctant to sell Milton a home in Grosse Pointe?
(a) Because of the way he dresses.
(b) Because they do not believe he can afford the mortgage.
(c) Because of his Greek background.
(d) Because of his loud voice.
4. What is located in Desdemona's hope chest that she fears she will never use?
(a) A baby blanket.
(b) A wedding dress.
(c) An olive wood silkworm box.
(d) A corset.
5. What religion do the members of Temple No. 1 practice?
(a) No religion. They are a business, not a church.
(d) Greek Orthodox Christianity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
2. What industry is the Temple No. 1 involved in?
3. What does Desdemona keep in the silkworm box to predict the sex of a baby?
4. What does Callie witness late one night that foreshadows the violent turn that the riots will take?
5. How does Lefty communicate with Calliope?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Desdemona's appearance.
2. Why does Desdemona become concerned about her unborn child after talking with Dr. Philobosian?
3. Describe Desdemona's transformation after Calliope's birth.
4. How do Dr. Philobosian's and Uncle Pete's views on conception differ?
5. What does Desdemona do when she hears that Milton's Navy unit will be going to war?
6. Describe the village of Bithynios.
7. Why are do the members of Temple No. 1 raise silkworms and produce silk fabric and clothing?
8. Why is Desdemona fearful about Tessie and Milton's burgeoning romantic relationship?
9. Describe the Greek General Hajienestis.
10. Describe Desdemona's silkworm box and its contents.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)