|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
(a) English phrases.
(b) A Bible passage forbidding incest.
(c) Passages from the Greek Bible.
(d) A Bible passage about eunuchs.
2. What does the narrator say makes him/her "the most famous hermaphrodite in history"?
(a) S/he has the brain of a boy, but was raised as a girl.
(b) S/he went to the doctor to have a sex change operation.
(c) S/he lived as a girl but had the body of a boy.
(d) S/he was studied by Dr. Luce.
3. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to in this chapter?
(b) Grosse Pointe.
(d) Milton and Tessie's home in Indian Village.
4. Who is the narrator of the story?
5. What is the source of Dr. Philobosian's sadness?
(a) His family was killed by the Turks.
(b) He has no where to go when he reaches America.
(c) The other passengers are cruel to Dr. Philobosian because he is Armenian.
(d) He had to leave his family behind in Turkey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Jimmy on Lefty's and his last trip out to the lake?
2. Why does Jimmy Fioretos call to wake Milton early one morning?
3. Who does Zoe end up marrying?
4. How is Lefty able to get he and Desdemona out of the burning city of Smyrna?
5. Who does Desdemona hope that Tessie will marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Desdemona and Lefty pretend that they do not know each other while aboard the Giulia?
2. How does the narrator characterize Lefty's gradual demise?
3. Why does Lefty not marry either of the village girls that Desdemona attempts to set him up with?
4. Describe Desdemona's transformation after Calliope's birth.
5. What goes through Tessie's mind as she watches movies at the theatre?
6. Describe Desdemona's silkworm box and its contents.
7. Describe Sourmelina's appearance when Lefty and Desdemona first arrive in Detroit. What is the significance of the way she looks?
8. Describe Desdemona's appearance.
9. Why does Desdemona become concerned about her unborn child after talking with Dr. Philobosian?
10. Describe Calliope's baptism.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)