|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Fard Muhammad?
(a) Maurice Plantagenet.
(b) Dr. Philobosian.
(c) Elijah Poole.
(d) Jimmy Zismo.
2. Why is Lefty fired from the Ford automobile company?
(a) He is living with a man who has a criminal record (Jimmy Zismo).
(b) He refuses to wear traditional Greek dress in the Ford English School pageant.
(c) He does not pass his English language exam.
(d) His work is sloppy and inaccurate.
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes the scenes of Milton in Navy training?
4. Why doesn't Milton want Calliope to talk to Marius Grimes?
(a) Because he does not speak English.
(b) Because Milton believes Marius is homeless.
(c) Because he uses vulgar language.
(d) Because of his race.
5. What does Chapter Eleven do after the church service that shocks and frightens Tessie?
(a) He climbs up on a chair in the reception room.
(b) He shouts obscenities in the church.
(c) He spills hot coffee on a little girl.
(d) He brings a dead bird into to show Father Mike.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
2. What religion do the members of Temple No. 1 practice?
3. What does Lefty resolve to do after his visit to the brothel?
4. Why are realtors reluctant to sell Milton a home in Grosse Pointe?
5. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Desdemona's appearance.
2. What is particular significance of Lefty and Desdemona (brother and sister) marrying for Cal/Calliope, the narrator?
3. Describe the Greek General Hajienestis.
4. Describe the events that allow Desdemona and Lefty to depart from Smyrna.
5. Why do Desdemona and Lefty pretend that they do not know each other while aboard the Giulia?
6. Compare Milton's and Mike Antoniou's views on religion.
7. How do Dr. Philobosian's and Uncle Pete's views on conception differ?
8. What does Desdemona do when she hears that Milton's Navy unit will be going to war?
9. Describe the village of Bithynios.
10. What goes through Tessie's mind as she watches movies at the theatre?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)