|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes the scenes of Milton in Navy training?
2. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Milton's birth?
(a) Care for Sourmelina's baby, Theodora.
(b) Predict the sex of an unborn child using her silver spoon.
(c) Have another child.
(d) Tell anyone that she and Lefty are brother and sister.
3. What is significant about Callie's and Clementine's soak in the Middlesex hot tub?
(a) Callie discovers she is sexually attracted to girls.
(b) Callie injures Clementine.
(c) The girls discover their interest in water ballet.
(d) Lefty spies on the girls while they are in the hot tub.
4. What does Desdemona keep in the silkworm box to predict the sex of a baby?
(a) The rope wedding crowns.
(b) Her hair braids.
(c) A silver spoon.
(d) A silkworm cocoon.
5. What does Desdemona do to help make the village girls more attractive to Lefty?
(a) She teaches them to look like the girls in a lingerie catalog hidden in her father's dresser.
(b) She teaches them how to talk to a man in a seductive way.
(c) She encourages them to practice personal hygiene.
(d) She gives them sex lessons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lefty's actual motivation for going into town?
2. Which of the following statements best describes Uncle Pete?
3. How do Lefty's and Dr. Philobosian's paths cross?
4. What does Desdemona promise St. Christopher she will do if Milton is spared injury in the war?
5. What does Lefty do while working on the assembly line at Ford that angers some of the other workers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lefty visit the town of Bursa so often?
2. How does Jimmy Zismo change during Sourmelina's pregnancy?
3. Why do the Ford Sociological Department workers visit Lefty's home? What do they find that concerns them?
4. Compare Lefty's original Zebra Room to Milton's version of the Zebra Room.
5. Why do Desdemona and Lefty pretend that they do not know each other while aboard the Giulia?
6. Describe Desdemona's appearance.
7. What does Desdemona do when she hears that Milton's Navy unit will be going to war?
8. Why does the vigilante who throws a Molotov Cocktail into the Zebra Room yell "Opa!" as he sets the diner on fire?
9. Describe Detroit in 1967.
10. Describe Fard Muhammad's beliefs about the evolution of race.
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)