|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lefty decide to do to earn money to support his family after Jimmy Zismo's death?
(a) Sell Jimmy's zebra skin rug.
(b) Work at the Ford factory.
(c) Open a bar, the Zebra Room, in his basement.
(d) Take over Jimmy's bootlegging business.
2. What does the narrator say his purpose for telling this story?
(a) To explain why he is the way he is.
(b) To record the history of his genetic anomaly.
(c) To share his family history.
(d) To convince the reader to accept him.
3. Which of the following actions is NOT part of Lefty and Desdemona's plan to convince themselves and others that they are young lovers rather than brother and sister?
(a) They board the ship separately.
(b) They have chance meetings on the deck pretending to be getting to know each other for the first time.
(c) They consummate their marriage in the life boat.
(d) They discuss their family tree as if they are learning it for the first time.
4. What condition must Desdemona meet to be hired by the Temple No. 1?
(a) She must pledge allegiance to their religious leader, Minister Fard.
(b) She must convince them that she had black ancestors.
(c) She must demonstrate that she knows how to weave silk into fabric.
(d) She must prove that she is capable of raising silk worms.
5. What concerns Milton about Lefty's business practices at the Zebra Room?
(a) Milton believes it is immoral for Lefty to sell alcohol in the Zebra Room.
(b) Milton does not understand why Lefty is paying for three insurance policies on the building.
(c) Milton worries that the Zebra Room will be broken into because it is in a bad neighborhood.
(d) Milton is concerned about Lefty's dealings with bootleggers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What commentary on beauty does Julie Kikuchi make in this chapter?
2. What does the narrator say makes him/her "the most famous hermaphrodite in history"?
3. Why does Milton decide to take the Annapolis entrance exam?
4. Why does Jimmy Fioretos call to wake Milton early one morning?
5. How does Callie become a first hand witness to the burning of the diner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Ford Sociological Department workers visit Lefty's home? What do they find that concerns them?
2. Describe the narrator in Book 2, Ex Ovo Omina.
3. Describe Desdemona's silkworm box and its contents.
4. Describe the Greek General Hajienestis.
5. Describe Marcus Wyxzewixard Challouehliczilczese Grimes.
6. Describe Fard Muhammad's beliefs about the evolution of race.
7. What is particular significance of Lefty and Desdemona (brother and sister) marrying for Cal/Calliope, the narrator?
8. What does Desdemona do when she hears that Milton's Navy unit will be going to war?
9. How do Dr. Philobosian's and Uncle Pete's views on conception differ?
10. How does Jimmy Zismo change during Sourmelina's pregnancy?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)