|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What industry is the Temple No. 1 involved in?
(a) Tool and dye manufacturing.
(c) Cigar rolling.
(d) Raising silkworms and weaving silk fabric.
2. Why does Jimmy Fioretos call to wake Milton early one morning?
(a) The Zebra Room has been broken into.
(b) Race riots have begun in the city near the Zebra Room.
(c) The Zebra Room has caught on fire.
(d) Jimmy wants Milton to help him protect his business.
3. How does Milton seduce Tessie?
(a) By playing her favorite songs on her clarinet.
(b) By complimenting her baking skills.
(c) By joining the Navy.
(d) By playing his clarinet against her skin.
4. How is Lefty able to get he and Desdemona out of the burning city of Smyrna?
(a) He asks Dr. Philobosian to allow them to hide in his home.
(b) He buys tickets on boat bound for Greece.
(c) He pretends they are French citizens in order to gain passage on a departing boat.
(d) He hitchikes from the city into the mountains.
5. What is ironic about the fact that Milton decides to join the Navy instead of the Army?
(a) Milton cannot swim.
(b) Desdemona fears for Milton's life because he will be going into war.
(c) His father was a soldier in the Greek Army.
(d) Milton his afraid of boats.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
2. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Milton's birth?
3. What does Desdemona do following Lefty's death?
4. Why does Milton decide to take the Annapolis entrance exam?
5. How does Callie become a first hand witness to the burning of the diner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lefty not marry either of the village girls that Desdemona attempts to set him up with?
2. Describe Fard Muhammad's beliefs about the evolution of race.
3. Why do Tessie and Milton want a baby daughter so badly?
4. Describe the narrator in Book 2, Ex Ovo Omina.
5. Describe the Greek General Hajienestis.
6. What is the conflict between Desdemona and Lefty in the chapter "Marriage on Ice"?
7. Describe Sourmelina's appearance when Lefty and Desdemona first arrive in Detroit. What is the significance of the way she looks?
8. Why does Lefty visit the town of Bursa so often?
9. Compare Lefty's original Zebra Room to Milton's version of the Zebra Room.
10. Describe the village of Bithynios.
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)