|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Lefty and Desdemona know that they can trust Sourmelina to keep the secret that they are siblings?
(a) Sourmelina has her own secret: she is a lesbian.
(b) Lefty and Desdemona pay Sourmelina a fee for her silence.
(c) Lefty and Desdemona threaten Sourmelina.
(d) Sourmelina does not know that Lefty and Desdemona are siblings.
2. What does the narrator say his purpose for telling this story?
(a) To explain why he is the way he is.
(b) To share his family history.
(c) To record the history of his genetic anomaly.
(d) To convince the reader to accept him.
3. Who does Desdemona hope that Milton will marry?
(a) Zoe Stephanides.
(b) Julie Kikuchi.
(c) Tessie Zismo.
(d) Gaia Vasilakis.
4. What happens to the Zebra Room in this chapter?
(a) Lefty is forced to close the business because it is no longer profitable.
(b) Lefty relocates and expands the business.
(c) Lefty is forced to close the business because of Desdemona's disapproval.
(d) Lefty sells the Zebra Room to a new owner.
5. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
(a) A silver spoon.
(c) Silkworm eggs.
(d) Silkworm cocoons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What industry is the Temple No. 1 involved in?
2. What play do the two couples go to see the night that their babies are conceived?
3. What is the first luxury Milton purchases with the insurance money?
4. What reason does Lefty give Desdemona for his trip into town?
5. What commentary on beauty does Julie Kikuchi make in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Ford Sociological Department workers visit Lefty's home? What do they find that concerns them?
2. Why do Desdemona and Lefty pretend that they do not know each other while aboard the Giulia?
3. Describe the village of Bithynios.
4. Describe Marcus Wyxzewixard Challouehliczilczese Grimes.
5. Describe Detroit in 1967.
6. Why does Lefty not marry either of the village girls that Desdemona attempts to set him up with?
7. Describe Sourmelina's appearance when Lefty and Desdemona first arrive in Detroit. What is the significance of the way she looks?
8. Compare Milton's and Mike Antoniou's views on religion.
9. Compare Lefty's original Zebra Room to Milton's version of the Zebra Room.
10. Describe the events that allow Desdemona and Lefty to depart from Smyrna.
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)