|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Callie witness late one night that foreshadows the violent turn that the riots will take?
(a) A tank rolling down the street.
(b) Milton loading a pistol with bullets.
(c) News footage of the number of deaths, injuries and fires caused during the riots.
(d) President Johnson announcing on t.v. that he is sending federal troops into Detroit.
2. In the chapter "Tricknology", what does Lefty do to help supplement his income?
(a) He extends the operating hours of the Zebra Room.
(b) He serves as a driver for his friend Maurice during the day.
(c) He solicits women to pose for pornographic photos taken by his friend Maurice.
(d) He rents a room in the family's home to a customer from the Zebra Room.
3. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
(a) English phrases.
(b) Passages from the Greek Bible.
(c) A Bible passage forbidding incest.
(d) A Bible passage about eunuchs.
4. What does the narrator say makes him/her "the most famous hermaphrodite in history"?
(a) S/he lived as a girl but had the body of a boy.
(b) S/he was studied by Dr. Luce.
(c) S/he went to the doctor to have a sex change operation.
(d) S/he has the brain of a boy, but was raised as a girl.
5. What does Lefty resolve to do after his visit to the brothel?
(a) Leave Bithynios to immigrate to America.
(b) Marry a village girl and start a family.
(c) Tell Desdemona of his feelings for her.
(d) Attend the local Greek church more often.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Sourmelina's parents send her to America?
2. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
3. How does Lefty manage to keep the men in the gaming room from stealing his winnings?
4. Which of the following actions is NOT part of Lefty and Desdemona's plan to convince themselves and others that they are young lovers rather than brother and sister?
5. Why does Jimmy Fioretos call to wake Milton early one morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Desdemona become concerned about her unborn child after talking with Dr. Philobosian?
2. What does Milton do to convince the realtor to sell him Middlesex?
3. Describe Sourmelina's appearance when Lefty and Desdemona first arrive in Detroit. What is the significance of the way she looks?
4. How does Jimmy Zismo change during Sourmelina's pregnancy?
5. Describe the events that allow Desdemona and Lefty to depart from Smyrna.
6. Why does Lefty visit the town of Bursa so often?
7. Describe the Greek General Hajienestis.
8. Why do Desdemona and Lefty pretend that they do not know each other while aboard the Giulia?
9. Why are do the members of Temple No. 1 raise silkworms and produce silk fabric and clothing?
10. Describe Desdemona's silkworm box and its contents.
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)