|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
(a) Her grandfather has his first stroke.
(b) Her grandfather dies.
(c) The Korean War begins.
(d) Callie's parents discover she has a rare genetic disorder.
2. Why does the silk Lefty sells in the market not earn much money?
(a) The silk is of poor quality and can only be used to make organzine.
(b) Desdemona does not give him enough cocoons to sell.
(c) He brings the cocoons to market too late in the day.
(d) The merchants are poor and are unable to pay much for the silk.
3. Why does Milton decide to enlist in the Navy?
(a) He is fiercely patriotic and wants to fight to protect America.
(b) He wants to prove to Tessie that he is a strong, brave man.
(c) He is heartbroken when Tessie becomes engaged to Mike Antoniou.
(d) He wants to escape taking over the Zebra Room as a career.
4. Which of the following actions is NOT part of Lefty and Desdemona's plan to convince themselves and others that they are young lovers rather than brother and sister?
(a) They discuss their family tree as if they are learning it for the first time.
(b) They consummate their marriage in the life boat.
(c) They have chance meetings on the deck pretending to be getting to know each other for the first time.
(d) They board the ship separately.
5. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Milton's birth?
(a) Have another child.
(b) Tell anyone that she and Lefty are brother and sister.
(c) Predict the sex of an unborn child using her silver spoon.
(d) Care for Sourmelina's baby, Theodora.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Callie become a first hand witness to the burning of the diner?
2. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to when they arrive in the United States?
3. What causes conflict between Jimmy and Lefty?
4. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
5. What does Desdemona promise St. Christopher she will do if Milton is spared injury in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Fard Muhammad's beliefs about the evolution of race.
2. Compare Lefty's original Zebra Room to Milton's version of the Zebra Room.
3. Describe the narrator in Book 2, Ex Ovo Omina.
4. Compare Milton's and Mike Antoniou's views on religion.
5. Describe the Greek General Hajienestis.
6. Describe Detroit in 1967.
7. How does Jimmy Zismo change during Sourmelina's pregnancy?
8. Why are do the members of Temple No. 1 raise silkworms and produce silk fabric and clothing?
9. Why do the Ford Sociological Department workers visit Lefty's home? What do they find that concerns them?
10. Describe Desdemona's silkworm box and its contents.
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)