|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
(a) English phrases.
(b) Passages from the Greek Bible.
(c) A Bible passage about eunuchs.
(d) A Bible passage forbidding incest.
2. What is unusual about Desdemona's presence on Hastings Street?
(a) Desdemona is dressed in traditional Greek clothing while everyone on Hastings Street is dressed in modern clothing.
(b) Hastings Street is a long distance from her home on Hurlbut.
(c) Hastings Street is primarily a white neighborhood and Desdemona is black.
(d) Hastings Street is primarily a black neighborhood and Desdemona is white.
3. Why doesn't Milton want Calliope to talk to Marius Grimes?
(a) Because he uses vulgar language.
(b) Because he does not speak English.
(c) Because of his race.
(d) Because Milton believes Marius is homeless.
4. How does Milton seduce Tessie?
(a) By complimenting her baking skills.
(b) By joining the Navy.
(c) By playing his clarinet against her skin.
(d) By playing her favorite songs on her clarinet.
5. What reason does Lefty give Desdemona for his trip into town?
(a) To sell the silk cocoons at market.
(b) To shop for groceries at the market.
(c) To court a woman he hopes to marry.
(d) To visit a local bar and brothel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chapter Eleven do after the church service that shocks and frightens Tessie?
2. What does Calliope do when she she is baptized?
3. In the chapter "Tricknology", what does Lefty do to help supplement his income?
4. What does Desdemona admire about the women of Temple No.1?
5. What is the only article of modern technology does the superstitious and traditional Desdemona embraces?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the vigilante who throws a Molotov Cocktail into the Zebra Room yell "Opa!" as he sets the diner on fire?
2. How do Dr. Philobosian's and Uncle Pete's views on conception differ?
3. Describe Desdemona's silkworm box and its contents.
4. Describe the events that allow Desdemona and Lefty to depart from Smyrna.
5. Why is Desdemona fearful about Tessie and Milton's burgeoning romantic relationship?
6. How does Desdemona react to the speeches that she hears through the heating grates while working in the Silk Room?
7. Why do Desdemona and Lefty pretend that they do not know each other while aboard the Giulia?
8. Describe Fard Muhammad's beliefs about the evolution of race.
9. Why does Desdemona become concerned about her unborn child after talking with Dr. Philobosian?
10. Why do the Ford Sociological Department workers visit Lefty's home? What do they find that concerns them?
This section contains 1,297 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)