|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lefty manage to keep the men in the gaming room from stealing his winnings?
(a) He hides them in his sock.
(b) He fights the men and wins.
(c) He flees from the gaming room and hides.
(d) He loses them all in subsequent games.
2. Why are realtors reluctant to sell Milton a home in Grosse Pointe?
(a) Because of his loud voice.
(b) Because of his Greek background.
(c) Because of the way he dresses.
(d) Because they do not believe he can afford the mortgage.
3. How is Lefty able to get he and Desdemona out of the burning city of Smyrna?
(a) He hitchikes from the city into the mountains.
(b) He asks Dr. Philobosian to allow them to hide in his home.
(c) He pretends they are French citizens in order to gain passage on a departing boat.
(d) He buys tickets on boat bound for Greece.
4. What is unique about Calliope's fifth chromosome?
(a) It impairs her brain development.
(b) It's structure causes her to have a birth defect.
(c) It leads her to be a large baby.
(d) It produces an enzyme that prevents her from producing a certain hormone.
5. What does Dr. Philobosian have that he believes will protect him from the Turks?
(a) Money to bribe the Turkish soldiers.
(b) A successful medical practice.
(c) A letter certifying that he treated the Turkish military leader.
(d) A letter certifying that he treated the Greek military leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the Zebra Room's earnings?
2. Who does Desdemona over hear through the heating vents in the Silk Room of the Temple No. 1?
3. Which of the following statements best describes Uncle Pete?
4. Who is Fard Muhammad?
5. How does Lefty communicate with Calliope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is particular significance of Lefty and Desdemona (brother and sister) marrying for Cal/Calliope, the narrator?
2. Why is Desdemona fearful about Tessie and Milton's burgeoning romantic relationship?
3. Compare Milton's and Mike Antoniou's views on religion.
4. Describe the village of Bithynios.
5. How does the narrator characterize Lefty's gradual demise?
6. Why are do the members of Temple No. 1 raise silkworms and produce silk fabric and clothing?
7. Describe Desdemona's appearance.
8. Describe Desdemona's transformation after Calliope's birth.
9. Describe Detroit in 1967.
10. Why does the vigilante who throws a Molotov Cocktail into the Zebra Room yell "Opa!" as he sets the diner on fire?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)