|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following factors complicates Tessie's relationship with Father Mike?
(a) They were engaged to be married years ago.
(b) Father Mike is embarrassed he was not promoted to the head priest position in the church.
(c) Father Mike is married to Milton's sister.
(d) Tessie does not like Father Mike's wife, Zoe.
2. Why are realtors reluctant to sell Milton a home in Grosse Pointe?
(a) Because they do not believe he can afford the mortgage.
(b) Because of the way he dresses.
(c) Because of his Greek background.
(d) Because of his loud voice.
3. What happens to Jimmy on Lefty's and his last trip out to the lake?
(a) The Packard breaks through the ice and sinks below the surface with Jimmy inside.
(b) Jimmy crashes the Packard into a telephone pole.
(c) He and Lefty fight and Jimmy is hurt.
(d) He is caught by the police for bootlegging.
4. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
(a) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy, but it is born a girl.
(b) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl, but it is born a boy.
(c) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy and it is a boy.
(d) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl and it is a girl.
5. What artistic medium does Julie Kikuchi work with?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator say that the riots were "the best thing that ever happened to us"?
2. Who is Lefty and Desdemona's sponsor for entry into America?
3. What is the source of Dr. Philobosian's sadness?
4. What does the narrator say makes him/her "the most famous hermaphrodite in history"?
5. How does Milton seduce Tessie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Desdemona become concerned about her unborn child after talking with Dr. Philobosian?
2. Describe Sourmelina's appearance when Lefty and Desdemona first arrive in Detroit. What is the significance of the way she looks?
3. Compare Lefty's original Zebra Room to Milton's version of the Zebra Room.
4. How does the narrator characterize Lefty's gradual demise?
5. How does Jimmy Zismo change during Sourmelina's pregnancy?
6. Describe Desdemona's appearance.
7. Describe Desdemona's transformation after Calliope's birth.
8. What is particular significance of Lefty and Desdemona (brother and sister) marrying for Cal/Calliope, the narrator?
9. Why do the Ford Sociological Department workers visit Lefty's home? What do they find that concerns them?
10. How does Desdemona react to the speeches that she hears through the heating grates while working in the Silk Room?
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)