|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only article of modern technology does the superstitious and traditional Desdemona embraces?
(a) The automobile.
(b) The vacuum cleaner.
(c) The record player (hi-fi).
(d) The television.
2. What does Desdemona do following Lefty's death?
(a) She moves to the Southwest with Sourmelina.
(b) She moves from the guest house into the main house at Middlesex.
(c) She climbs into her bed and does not leave it for ten years.
(d) She wails and throws herself on his coffin.
3. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Calliope's birth?
(a) Attend church.
(b) Predict a child's sex.
(c) Leave her ill husband alone.
(d) Speak to Tessie.
4. Why does the narrator say that the riots were "the best thing that ever happened to us"?
(a) Fear of having their home and business destroyed during the riots brought the Stephanides family closer together.
(b) Because the Zebra Room was a failing business, it was a relief to the family to not have to worry about profits any more.
(c) The riots made the Stephanides family develop a strong sense of pride in their Greek heritage.
(d) Because Lefty had three insurance policies on the Zebra Room, the family was paid a large sum of money when the business burned down.
5. What is unique about Calliope's fifth chromosome?
(a) It impairs her brain development.
(b) It leads her to be a large baby.
(c) It produces an enzyme that prevents her from producing a certain hormone.
(d) It's structure causes her to have a birth defect.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are realtors reluctant to sell Milton a home in Grosse Pointe?
2. What is ironic about the fact that Milton decides to join the Navy instead of the Army?
3. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
4. What is the fate of the Silk Room at Temple No. 1 when Elijah Muhammed takes over as leader after Fard's arrest.?
5. What does Desdemona's mother say is critical for encourage silk worms to produce good silk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Desdemona's appearance.
2. What is the conflict between Desdemona and Lefty in the chapter "Marriage on Ice"?
3. Describe Sourmelina's appearance when Lefty and Desdemona first arrive in Detroit. What is the significance of the way she looks?
4. Compare Milton's and Mike Antoniou's views on religion.
5. Why are do the members of Temple No. 1 raise silkworms and produce silk fabric and clothing?
6. What does Milton do to convince the realtor to sell him Middlesex?
7. Describe Desdemona's transformation after Calliope's birth.
8. What is particular significance of Lefty and Desdemona (brother and sister) marrying for Cal/Calliope, the narrator?
9. Why does the vigilante who throws a Molotov Cocktail into the Zebra Room yell "Opa!" as he sets the diner on fire?
10. Why do Tessie and Milton want a baby daughter so badly?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)