|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements best describes Lefty?
(a) A modern man in a traditional town.
(b) A jazz loving gangster.
(c) A cruel, abusive alcoholic.
(d) A traditional man in a modern town.
2. What does Uncle Pete encourage Tessie and Milton to do to ensure their baby will be a girl?
(a) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours before she ovulates.
(b) Go to church and pray that they will have a baby girl.
(c) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours after she ovulates.
(d) Use in-vitro fertilization.
3. What medical fact does Dr. Philobosian share with Desdemona that makes her worry about her pregnancy?
(a) Women must take folic acid to prevent birth defects.
(b) Birth defects in babies usually only occur when families intermarry.
(c) The baby will take on the traits of whatever picture a woman is looking at when the baby is conceived.
(d) Babies must be baptized while they are still in the womb.
4. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
(a) Silkworm eggs.
(c) A silver spoon.
(d) Silkworm cocoons.
5. Which of the following is NOT a criterion in the real estate "Point System"?
(c) Ethnic origin.
(d) Marital status.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
2. Who does Desdemona over hear through the heating vents in the Silk Room of the Temple No. 1?
3. What happens to the Zebra Room in this chapter?
4. How does Lefty manage to keep the men in the gaming room from stealing his winnings?
5. How do Lefty's and Dr. Philobosian's paths cross?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Desdemona react to the speeches that she hears through the heating grates while working in the Silk Room?
2. Describe Desdemona's silkworm box and its contents.
3. Why are do the members of Temple No. 1 raise silkworms and produce silk fabric and clothing?
4. Describe the Greek General Hajienestis.
5. What does Milton do to convince the realtor to sell him Middlesex?
6. Describe Desdemona's appearance.
7. Why does Lefty visit the town of Bursa so often?
8. Compare Lefty's original Zebra Room to Milton's version of the Zebra Room.
9. How do Dr. Philobosian's and Uncle Pete's views on conception differ?
10. Describe Sourmelina's appearance when Lefty and Desdemona first arrive in Detroit. What is the significance of the way she looks?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)