|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Desdemona do following Lefty's death?
(a) She wails and throws herself on his coffin.
(b) She moves to the Southwest with Sourmelina.
(c) She moves from the guest house into the main house at Middlesex.
(d) She climbs into her bed and does not leave it for ten years.
2. What is unique about Calliope's fifth chromosome?
(a) It leads her to be a large baby.
(b) It produces an enzyme that prevents her from producing a certain hormone.
(c) It impairs her brain development.
(d) It's structure causes her to have a birth defect.
3. Why does Jimmy Fioretos call to wake Milton early one morning?
(a) Jimmy wants Milton to help him protect his business.
(b) The Zebra Room has caught on fire.
(c) The Zebra Room has been broken into.
(d) Race riots have begun in the city near the Zebra Room.
4. What does Desdemona promise St. Christopher she will do if Milton is spared injury in the war?
(a) She will attend church on a daily basis.
(b) She will donate a large portion of her earnings to the church.
(c) She will send Milton to Bithynios to repair the town's church.
(d) She will confess to her children that she and Lefty are brother and sister.
5. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
(a) Silkworm cocoons.
(c) A silver spoon.
(d) Silkworm eggs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lefty do while working on the assembly line at Ford that angers some of the other workers?
2. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
3. How does Lefty manage to keep the men in the gaming room from stealing his winnings?
4. Who does Desdemona hope that Milton will marry?
5. Why do Lefty and Desdemona know that they can trust Sourmelina to keep the secret that they are siblings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Tessie and Milton want a baby daughter so badly?
2. Describe Detroit in 1967.
3. Describe the village of Bithynios.
4. Describe Marcus Wyxzewixard Challouehliczilczese Grimes.
5. Compare Milton's and Mike Antoniou's views on religion.
6. Describe Desdemona's appearance.
7. Describe Desdemona's silkworm box and its contents.
8. Compare Lefty's original Zebra Room to Milton's version of the Zebra Room.
9. What is particular significance of Lefty and Desdemona (brother and sister) marrying for Cal/Calliope, the narrator?
10. What goes through Tessie's mind as she watches movies at the theatre?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)