|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the story?
2. Why doesn't Milton want Calliope to talk to Marius Grimes?
(a) Because he uses vulgar language.
(b) Because of his race.
(c) Because Milton believes Marius is homeless.
(d) Because he does not speak English.
3. Which of the following factors complicates Tessie's relationship with Father Mike?
(a) They were engaged to be married years ago.
(b) Tessie does not like Father Mike's wife, Zoe.
(c) Father Mike is embarrassed he was not promoted to the head priest position in the church.
(d) Father Mike is married to Milton's sister.
4. Which of the following statements best describes Uncle Pete?
(a) An intellectual chiropractor.
(b) A self-made business man.
(c) A superstitious old man.
(d) A sweet natured priest.
5. What does Desdemona's mother say is critical for encourage silk worms to produce good silk?
(a) Soft music.
(b) Their caretaker's purity.
(d) A warm environment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "maze" that Jimmy tells Lefty women should be "shut up in"?
2. What medical fact does Dr. Philobosian share with Desdemona that makes her worry about her pregnancy?
3. What is significant about Callie's and Clementine's soak in the Middlesex hot tub?
4. What does the narrator say his purpose for telling this story?
5. What is political and social climate of Detroit in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events that allow Desdemona and Lefty to depart from Smyrna.
2. Why does Lefty not marry either of the village girls that Desdemona attempts to set him up with?
3. Describe Desdemona's transformation after Calliope's birth.
4. How do Dr. Philobosian's and Uncle Pete's views on conception differ?
5. Compare Lefty's original Zebra Room to Milton's version of the Zebra Room.
6. Why does the vigilante who throws a Molotov Cocktail into the Zebra Room yell "Opa!" as he sets the diner on fire?
7. Describe Detroit in 1967.
8. How does Desdemona react to the speeches that she hears through the heating grates while working in the Silk Room?
9. Why are do the members of Temple No. 1 raise silkworms and produce silk fabric and clothing?
10. Why does Lefty visit the town of Bursa so often?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)