|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes conflict between Jimmy and Lefty?
(a) Jimmy drives the Packard too quickly over the lake and frightens Lefty.
(b) Jimmy believes that Lefty has stolen money from him.
(c) Lefty suspects Jimmy of cheating on Sourmelina.
(d) Jimmy suspects that Lefty is actually the father of Sourmelina's baby.
2. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
(a) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy, but it is born a girl.
(b) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl, but it is born a boy.
(c) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl and it is a girl.
(d) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy and it is a boy.
3. What is located in Desdemona's hope chest that she fears she will never use?
(a) An olive wood silkworm box.
(b) A wedding dress.
(c) A baby blanket.
(d) A corset.
4. How does Lefty communicate with Calliope?
(a) Using sign language.
(b) By speaking.
(c) By making faces.
(d) By writing on his chalkboard.
5. How does Lefty manage to keep the men in the gaming room from stealing his winnings?
(a) He flees from the gaming room and hides.
(b) He loses them all in subsequent games.
(c) He fights the men and wins.
(d) He hides them in his sock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desdemona fear will happen to Lefty?
2. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
3. Which of the following factors complicates Tessie's relationship with Father Mike?
4. What happens to Milton as he is about to go into war that Desdemona believes is an answer to her prayers?
5. Why did Sourmelina's parents send her to America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator in Book 2, Ex Ovo Omina.
2. Describe Desdemona's silkworm box and its contents.
3. How does Desdemona react to the speeches that she hears through the heating grates while working in the Silk Room?
4. Describe Detroit in 1967.
5. Describe Desdemona's transformation after Calliope's birth.
6. Compare Lefty's original Zebra Room to Milton's version of the Zebra Room.
7. What is particular significance of Lefty and Desdemona (brother and sister) marrying for Cal/Calliope, the narrator?
8. Why are do the members of Temple No. 1 raise silkworms and produce silk fabric and clothing?
9. Why is Desdemona fearful about Tessie and Milton's burgeoning romantic relationship?
10. Describe Sourmelina's appearance when Lefty and Desdemona first arrive in Detroit. What is the significance of the way she looks?
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)