|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Callie avoid going to the theatre with her parents?
(a) She tells them she has menstrual cramps.
(b) She runs away from the hotel.
(c) She stays at the clinic with Dr. Luce.
(d) She tells them she is too tired.
2. Which of the following is NOT a reason why Tessie and Milton feed their family only traditional Greek foods?
(a) Tessie and Milton only know how to cook Greek foods.
(b) Greek food is easier to digest than American food.
(c) Mediterranean food has health benefits that help longevity.
(d) Desdemona prefers Greek food.
3. Who discovers Callie's unusual genitals in this chapter?
(b) Dr. Luce.
(c) The emergency room doctor and nurse.
(d) The Object.
4. What is Callie's first step in her physical transformation into a boy?
(a) Getting a short haircut.
(b) Purchasing and wearing a used suit.
(c) Walking like a man.
(d) Purchasing a bus ticket to Scranton.
5. What does Callie do to convince her mother that she does not need to visit the gynecologist?
(a) She pretends to get her first period.
(b) She stuffs her bra with tissues to convince her mother that she has developed breasts.
(c) She prays that her mother will cancel the appointment.
(d) She tells her mother about her unusual genitals.
6. How do Tessie and Milton react to the ER doctor's diagnosis of Callie?
(a) They are shocked and in disbelief.
(b) They accept his diagnosis and immediately take Callie to Dr. Luce.
(c) They believe the doctor has confused her with another patient.
(d) They distrust the doctor.
7. Why do all of the Sunday dinner guests except for Father Mike and Zoe stop coming to Middlesex?
(a) The men broke Milton and Tessie's good coffee cups.
(b) Milton's political loyalties lie with the U.S. while the other men's lie with Greece.
(c) Milton is offended by the men's comments about Tessie's cooking.
(d) Milton throws the men out of his home after an argument.
8. Who is the kidnapper?
(a) Father Mike.
(b) Dr. Philobosian.
(c) Chapter Eleven
9. What concerns Dr. Luce most about Callie's disappearance?
(a) Dr. Luce believes that Callie is in a fragile psychological state after discovering the nature of her condition.
(b) Dr. Luce believes Callie was abducted.
(c) Dr. Luce wants to begin treatment of Callie immediately.
(d) Dr. Luce believes Callie has false information about her condition and would like to set her straight.
10. Which book is the only one that Milton and Tessie complete during their quest to complete the Great Books series?
(a) The Complete Works of Socrates.
(b) The Prince by Machiavelli.
(c) The Republic by Plato.
(d) Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.
11. What do the police detectives tell Tessie and Milton is the best thing for them to do to help find Callie?
(a) Return home to Grosse Pointe to wait for her to call.
(b) Hire a private investigator to find Callie.
(c) Search New York City for Callie.
(d) Call Callie's friends to see if she has gone to see one of them.
12. Why is Callie given the position of goalie on the field hockey team at her school?
(a) She is agile on her feet and able to block shots made on the goal.
(b) She is the last student to sign up for the team and goalie is the only position left open.
(c) The goalie equipment fits her better than the other girls.
(d) She is uncoordinated so the coach gave her a position where she would not need to move much.
13. What does Cal/Callie say the hardest adjustment is that s/he has to make in choosing to live as a man?
(a) Walking like a man.
(b) Asking women out on dates.
(c) Getting used to using men's bathrooms.
(d) Dressing like a man.
14. Who is Hermaphroditus?
(a) The fictionalized half male-half female character that Cal plays for Bob.
(b) A half male-half female Greek god.
(c) The patron saint of hermaphrodites.
(d) A condition where a person has both male and female sex traits.
15. How do Callie and the Object react to Jerome's vampire movie shoot in the woods?
(a) They are jealous that Jerome did not ask them to be a part of it.
(b) They laugh hysterically while watching it from behind a tree.
(c) They volunteer to hold the camera for Jerome.
(d) They are eager to be a part of it and ask Jerome for parts in the movie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the man who claims to have Callie want Milton to negotiate a ransom price with him?
2. According to Dr. Luce which of the following is NOT an influence on gender identity?
3. What is Dr. Luce's specialty?
4. Why does the Object say she is happy that Callie's family is going on vacation to Turkey?
5. Who is Mr. da Silva?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)