|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT occur at the hunting lodge?
(a) Jerome, Callie, Rex and the Object break into the lodge.
(b) Callie stops the Object from becoming intimately involved with Rex.
(c) Jerome and Callie have sex.
(d) Jerome, Callie, Rex and the Object smoke marajuana.
2. What is Callie's initial impression of the Obscure Object?
(a) She is awed by her natural beauty especially her freckles.
(b) She falls deeply in love with her.
(c) She hardly notices the new girl in her English class because she is so absorbed in The Illiad.
(d) She is put off by her disinterested attitude.
3. What does Milton wear to his and Tessie's appointment with Dr. Luce for good luck?
(a) A Countess Mara tie.
(b) A charcoal pinstripe suit.
(c) His Greek Drama cuff links.
(d) A beret.
4. What is Cal's motivation for attending the Warhol exhibit opening in Berlin?
(a) He admires Warhol's work.
(b) He must attend in an official capacity as a cultural attache.
(c) He hopes to run into Julie Kikuchi there.
(d) He likes the Mies van der Rohe building it is being held in.
5. Who is the kidnapper?
(a) Father Mike.
(b) Chapter Eleven
(d) Dr. Philobosian.
6. Which of Callie's physical changes most annoys Tessie?
(b) Her height.
(c) Her long, thick hair.
(d) The lowering of her voice.
7. What does Callie attribute the changes in Chapter Eleven to?
(a) The military draft.
(b) Milton's conservative views.
(c) His girlfriend, Meg.
(d) His liberal arts education.
8. Why does Chapter Eleven become interested in current events and politics?
(a) He is 18 and now eligible to be drafted into the military.
(b) He plans to study political science at the University of Michigan.
(c) He is interested in and identifies with President Nixon.
(d) He hopes to run for political office in the future.
9. What does Jerome accuse Callie and the Object of being?
10. What does Callie notice about herself when she sees herself in the mirror for the first time after having her hair cut?
(a) She will now be able to date women without suffering public ridicule.
(b) Even though she has had her hair cut like a boy, she still looks like a girl.
(c) She now looks and feels like a boy.
(d) She now looks like a boy on the outside, but still feels like a girl inside.
11. How does Callie's physical development compare to that of the other girls in her sixth grade class?
(a) Callie and the other girls are both beginning to go through puberty.
(b) Callie and the other girls have not reached puberty yet.
(c) Callie is much more developed than the other girls.
(d) Callie is much less developed than the other girls.
12. Where do Rex and Jerome take Callie and the Object while they are vacationing?
(a) To an old hunting lodge in the woods.
(b) To a keg party.
(c) To a farm.
(d) To a romantic dinner at an expensive restaurant.
13. What does Callie do to convince her mother that she does not need to visit the gynecologist?
(a) She tells her mother about her unusual genitals.
(b) She pretends to get her first period.
(c) She prays that her mother will cancel the appointment.
(d) She stuffs her bra with tissues to convince her mother that she has developed breasts.
14. Why does Cal want Chapter Eleven to drive through Detroit on their way home for Milton's funeral?
(a) He wants to delay seeing Tessie for the first time since deciding to live as a man.
(b) He wants to stop and visit some of Milton's old friends.
(c) He wants to shop for an outfit to wear to the funeral.
(d) He wants to revisit the settings of her family's history.
15. What is Cal/Callie's initial impression of Ben Scheer?
(a) S/he likes that Ben is willing to purchase alcohol for him/her.
(b) S/he likes that Ben talks to and treats him/her like a sophisticated adult.
(c) S/he is skeptical of Ben's motives in purchasing him/her dinner and a hotel room.
(d) S/he is put off by Ben's intellectual style of speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chapter Eleven announce he plans on majoring in after his freshman year of college?
2. What is Cal's friend Matt an expert on?
3. Where does Milton announce he wants the family to travel to?
4. Why do all of the Sunday dinner guests except for Father Mike and Zoe stop coming to Middlesex?
5. Why is Ben Scheer so generous towards Cal/Callie?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)