|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Milton announce he wants the family to travel to?
(d) San Fransisco.
2. What is Callie's initial impression of the Obscure Object?
(a) She is awed by her natural beauty especially her freckles.
(b) She falls deeply in love with her.
(c) She is put off by her disinterested attitude.
(d) She hardly notices the new girl in her English class because she is so absorbed in The Illiad.
3. What does the Object tell Callie that she (Callie) sees "no irony in"?
(a) The Object has romantic feelings for Callie.
(b) She and Jerome were never meant to be.
(c) Callie would be the perfect boyfriend.
(d) Jerome's movie is sure to be a flop.
4. What does Milton wear to his and Tessie's appointment with Dr. Luce for good luck?
(a) A beret.
(b) A charcoal pinstripe suit.
(c) A Countess Mara tie.
(d) His Greek Drama cuff links.
5. What does Callie attribute the changes in Chapter Eleven to?
(a) The military draft.
(b) His liberal arts education.
(c) His girlfriend, Meg.
(d) Milton's conservative views.
6. Why does the man who claims to have Callie want Milton to negotiate a ransom price with him?
(a) He wants to make Milton suffer even more.
(b) He believes he can get more money from Milton than he initially asks for.
(c) He wants to engage in a bargaining session.
(d) He is not sure how much Callie's return is worth to Milton.
7. How does Bob Presto know that Cal/Callie is not a college student?
(a) Cal/Callie wants to go to San Francisco instead of Los Angeles.
(b) Cal/Callie does not know what city Stanford is in.
(c) Cal/Callie does not have a high school diploma.
(d) Cal/Callie takes a job working for Bob Presto.
8. How does Callie's physical development compare to that of the other girls in her sixth grade class?
(a) Callie and the other girls are both beginning to go through puberty.
(b) Callie is much more developed than the other girls.
(c) Callie and the other girls have not reached puberty yet.
(d) Callie is much less developed than the other girls.
9. Why does Sourmelina move back to Detroit in 1972?
(a) Mrs. Watson wants to be closer to her family.
(b) To be closer to her family.
(c) To escape the heat of the Southwest.
(d) Because Mrs. Watson leaves her for another woman.
10. Why does Chapter Eleven become interested in current events and politics?
(a) He is interested in and identifies with President Nixon.
(b) He plans to study political science at the University of Michigan.
(c) He is 18 and now eligible to be drafted into the military.
(d) He hopes to run for political office in the future.
11. What is Jerome's hobby?
(a) Watching horror movies.
(b) Making horror movies.
12. How do Callie and the Object react to Jerome's vampire movie shoot in the woods?
(a) They volunteer to hold the camera for Jerome.
(b) They laugh hysterically while watching it from behind a tree.
(c) They are jealous that Jerome did not ask them to be a part of it.
(d) They are eager to be a part of it and ask Jerome for parts in the movie.
13. Why does Cal finally call home?
(a) He has out of money and needs his parents so send him more.
(b) He has been arrested while working at Bob's club.
(c) He wants to explain why he ran away to his parents.
(d) He does not want his parents to worry about him.
14. What does Desdemona confess to Cal?
(a) She never loved Lefty.
(b) She had secretly been in love with Dr. Philobosian for years.
(c) She wishes that she and Lefty had never left Turkey.
(d) She and Lefty were brother and sister as well as husband and wife.
15. What was Dr. Luce's main purpose for recommending the particular treatment that he does for Callie?
(a) To cure her of 5-alpha-reductase deficiency.
(b) Ensuring that her physical sexual identity matches her gender identity.
(c) To provide a research subject for a book he would like to write.
(d) Helping Callie cope psychologically with her hermaphroditism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tessie angry at Milton after his death?
2. What do the police detectives tell Tessie and Milton is the best thing for them to do to help find Callie?
3. What does the Object's father do while driving Callie to the family's summer home in Petoskey?
4. Which book is the only one that Milton and Tessie complete during their quest to complete the Great Books series?
5. What big step do Julie and Cal take in their relationship?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)