|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Callie hide in the basement bathroom at Baker-Inglis?
(a) She feels safe and comfortable in this seldom used space.
(b) She wants to read the gossip about the other girls written on the bathroom walls.
(c) She wants to catch up on her English class reading.
(d) She likes to look at the crocuses growing outside the window in the bathroom.
2. Which of the following is NOT a reason why Tessie and Milton feed their family only traditional Greek foods?
(a) Mediterranean food has health benefits that help longevity.
(b) Desdemona prefers Greek food.
(c) Tessie and Milton only know how to cook Greek foods.
(d) Greek food is easier to digest than American food.
3. Where do Rex and Jerome take Callie and the Object while they are vacationing?
(a) To a farm.
(b) To an old hunting lodge in the woods.
(c) To a romantic dinner at an expensive restaurant.
(d) To a keg party.
4. What does Callie do to convince her mother that she does not need to visit the gynecologist?
(a) She prays that her mother will cancel the appointment.
(b) She stuffs her bra with tissues to convince her mother that she has developed breasts.
(c) She pretends to get her first period.
(d) She tells her mother about her unusual genitals.
5. How does Callie's physical development compare to that of the other girls in her sixth grade class?
(a) Callie is much less developed than the other girls.
(b) Callie and the other girls have not reached puberty yet.
(c) Callie and the other girls are both beginning to go through puberty.
(d) Callie is much more developed than the other girls.
6. Why do Tessie, Milton and Callie travel to New York City?
(a) For Callie to have abdominal surgery following her tractor injury.
(b) To visit Chapter Eleven at college.
(c) For a relaxing family vacation.
(d) To visit the Sexual Disorders and Gender Identity Clinic.
7. What is Callie's initial impression of the Obscure Object?
(a) She hardly notices the new girl in her English class because she is so absorbed in The Illiad.
(b) She is put off by her disinterested attitude.
(c) She is awed by her natural beauty especially her freckles.
(d) She falls deeply in love with her.
8. How does Callie respond to Jerome's sexual advances?
(a) She is initially inviting, but stops him before having sex.
(b) She reciprocates his affection.
(c) She ignores, but gives into them because she is watching the Object.
(d) She pushes him away and leaves the lodge.
9. What does Jerome accuse Callie and the Object of being?
10. Why does Tessie take Callie to the Golden Fleece salon?
(a) To get a haircut.
(b) To have her mustache waxed off.
(c) To have a facial.
(d) To have her nails done.
11. Why do all of the Sunday dinner guests except for Father Mike and Zoe stop coming to Middlesex?
(a) Milton is offended by the men's comments about Tessie's cooking.
(b) Milton throws the men out of his home after an argument.
(c) The men broke Milton and Tessie's good coffee cups.
(d) Milton's political loyalties lie with the U.S. while the other men's lie with Greece.
12. Why does the man who claims to have Callie want Milton to negotiate a ransom price with him?
(a) He is not sure how much Callie's return is worth to Milton.
(b) He believes he can get more money from Milton than he initially asks for.
(c) He wants to make Milton suffer even more.
(d) He wants to engage in a bargaining session.
13. Which of the following changes in Callie is not typical for a girl to go through during puberty?
(a) Growing public hair.
(b) Breast development.
(c) Growing armpit hair.
(d) Lowering of the voice.
14. Which book is the only one that Milton and Tessie complete during their quest to complete the Great Books series?
(a) The Complete Works of Socrates.
(b) The Prince by Machiavelli.
(c) The Republic by Plato.
(d) Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.
15. Who is the first person to pick Cal/Callie up when s/he begins hitchhiking?
(a) An old, judgmental woman.
(b) A 30-something gay man.
(c) A red-headed truck driver.
(d) A retired couple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callie do to try to get to know the Obscure Object better?
2. What is Callie's first step in her physical transformation into a boy?
3. Why is Ben Scheer so generous towards Cal/Callie?
4. What does Cal/Callie say the hardest adjustment is that s/he has to make in choosing to live as a man?
5. What does Milton wear to his and Tessie's appointment with Dr. Luce for good luck?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)