|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Callie's first step in her physical transformation into a boy?
(a) Purchasing and wearing a used suit.
(b) Purchasing a bus ticket to Scranton.
(c) Getting a short haircut.
(d) Walking like a man.
2. What does Chapter Eleven believe gives him the ability to finally beat his father at ping-pong?
(b) Callie's support.
(c) Meg Zemka.
3. What is Cal/Callie's initial impression of Ben Scheer?
(a) S/he likes that Ben is willing to purchase alcohol for him/her.
(b) S/he is skeptical of Ben's motives in purchasing him/her dinner and a hotel room.
(c) S/he likes that Ben talks to and treats him/her like a sophisticated adult.
(d) S/he is put off by Ben's intellectual style of speech.
4. Why do the homeless men beat Cal?
(a) They attempt to rape Cal and he tries to resist.
(b) They discover that Cal is a hermaphrodite.
(c) Cal refuses to give them drugs.
(d) Cal refuses to give them money.
5. How does Bob Presto know that Cal/Callie is not a college student?
(a) Cal/Callie does not know what city Stanford is in.
(b) Cal/Callie takes a job working for Bob Presto.
(c) Cal/Callie wants to go to San Francisco instead of Los Angeles.
(d) Cal/Callie does not have a high school diploma.
6. According to Dr. Luce which of the following is NOT an influence on gender identity?
(a) Sex of rearing.
7. What leads Milton to believe that the man calling him has kidnapped Callie?
(a) He hears Callie talking in the background when the man calls.
(b) He has threatened the Stephanides family.
(c) He knows personal family details about her.
(d) He sends Milton a recent picture of Callie.
8. Where does Milton announce he wants the family to travel to?
(b) San Fransisco.
9. Who discovers Callie's unusual genitals in this chapter?
(a) The Object.
(b) The emergency room doctor and nurse.
(d) Dr. Luce.
10. Why is Tessie angry at Milton after his death?
(a) He left her penniless and alone.
(b) She believes he killed himself.
(c) She believes he drove Father Mike to black mail him.
(d) He was willing to meet and pay the kidnapper and did not tell her about it.
11. What was Dr. Luce's main purpose for recommending the particular treatment that he does for Callie?
(a) Ensuring that her physical sexual identity matches her gender identity.
(b) Helping Callie cope psychologically with her hermaphroditism.
(c) To cure her of 5-alpha-reductase deficiency.
(d) To provide a research subject for a book he would like to write.
12. What does Cal/Callie say the hardest adjustment is that s/he has to make in choosing to live as a man?
(a) Dressing like a man.
(b) Walking like a man.
(c) Asking women out on dates.
(d) Getting used to using men's bathrooms.
13. Why is the Obscure Object transferred to Mr. da Silva's class?
(a) Her parents requested that she be transferred to a more challenging class.
(b) She has tested out of the lower level English class.
(c) Her teacher, Ms. Lampe, does not want her in her English class any longer.
(d) She wants to read the Illiad.
14. How does Callie avoid going to the theatre with her parents?
(a) She tells them she has menstrual cramps.
(b) She runs away from the hotel.
(c) She tells them she is too tired.
(d) She stays at the clinic with Dr. Luce.
15. What does Chapter Eleven announce he plans on majoring in after his freshman year of college?
(b) Political Science.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desdemona confess to Cal?
2. What do Zora and Cal have in common?
3. Who creates the Hercules Hot Dogs style of cooking hot dogs?
4. What is Dr. Luce's specialty?
5. How does Milton die?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)