|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Object's father do while driving Callie to the family's summer home in Petoskey?
(a) He asks Callie about her family.
(b) He asks Callie about her relationship with the Object.
(c) He drinks Smirnoff cocktails.
(d) He makes sexual advances towards Callie.
2. How does Milton die?
(a) Father Mike shoots Milton while he is following him.
(b) Father Mike rams his car into Milton's crushing him.
(c) His car falls off of a bridge and sinks into the river.
(d) Milton commits suicide because he believes he will never see Callie again.
3. What is Dr. Luce's specialty?
(a) Reproductive medicine.
(c) Sexual disfunction.
4. What surprises Cal most about Desdemona's appearance when he sees her for the first time since returning home?
(a) She is still confined to her bed.
(b) She seems to have aged considerably.
(c) She does not have her hair in her traditional hair net.
(d) She has lost weight because of inactivity.
5. Which book is the only one that Milton and Tessie complete during their quest to complete the Great Books series?
(a) The Prince by Machiavelli.
(b) Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.
(c) The Complete Works of Socrates.
(d) The Republic by Plato.
6. Why does the Object say she is happy that Callie's family is going on vacation to Turkey?
(a) She feels like her relationship with Callie is becoming too weird.
(b) She does not want her brother, Jerome to seduce Callie.
(c) She is concerned about Callie's romantic advances towards her.
(d) She wants to have a chance to spend more time with Rex.
7. Which of Callie's physical changes most annoys Tessie?
(a) The lowering of her voice.
(b) Her height.
(d) Her long, thick hair.
8. What is Jerome's hobby?
(a) Watching horror movies.
(c) Making horror movies.
9. What is Cal's friend Matt an expert on?
(a) The Grateful Dead.
(b) Playing Frisbee.
(c) Stealing money.
(d) Making t-shirts.
10. What does Callie do to try to get to know the Obscure Object better?
(a) Callie joins the Drama Club so that she can be in the play with the Object.
(b) Callie begins smoking because she knows that the Object is also a smoker.
(c) Callie agrees to help the girl learn her lines for their class play.
(d) Callie writes a note to the Object asking her to come over to Middlesex to have dinner.
11. What business venture does Milton begin with the remaining money from the insurance settlement on the Zebra Room?
(a) A Greek restaurant.
(b) A series of hot dog stands.
(c) A McDonalds franchise.
(d) A Cadillac dealership.
12. What course of treatment does Dr. Luce recommend for Callie?
(a) Psychotherapy to help Callie adjust to her hermaphroditism.
(b) A series of hormone injections and cosmetic surgery to make Callie look like the girl she identifies herself as.
(c) A series of hormone injections and cosmetic surgery to ensure that Callie will be able to bear children.
(d) A series of hormone injections and cosmetic surgery to make Callie look like the boy he identifies himself as
13. What concerns Dr. Luce most about Callie's disappearance?
(a) Dr. Luce believes Callie has false information about her condition and would like to set her straight.
(b) Dr. Luce wants to begin treatment of Callie immediately.
(c) Dr. Luce believes Callie was abducted.
(d) Dr. Luce believes that Callie is in a fragile psychological state after discovering the nature of her condition.
14. Why do Tessie, Milton and Callie travel to New York City?
(a) To visit the Sexual Disorders and Gender Identity Clinic.
(b) To visit Chapter Eleven at college.
(c) For Callie to have abdominal surgery following her tractor injury.
(d) For a relaxing family vacation.
15. How do Tessie and Milton react to the ER doctor's diagnosis of Callie?
(a) They are shocked and in disbelief.
(b) They believe the doctor has confused her with another patient.
(c) They accept his diagnosis and immediately take Callie to Dr. Luce.
(d) They distrust the doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovers Callie's unusual genitals in this chapter?
2. Which of the following does NOT occur at the hunting lodge?
3. According to Dr. Luce which of the following is NOT an influence on gender identity?
4. Why does Sourmelina move back to Detroit in 1972?
5. Where do Rex and Jerome take Callie and the Object while they are vacationing?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)