|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Desdemona confess to Cal?
(a) She wishes that she and Lefty had never left Turkey.
(b) She had secretly been in love with Dr. Philobosian for years.
(c) She never loved Lefty.
(d) She and Lefty were brother and sister as well as husband and wife.
2. What does Cal/Callie say the hardest adjustment is that s/he has to make in choosing to live as a man?
(a) Getting used to using men's bathrooms.
(b) Walking like a man.
(c) Dressing like a man.
(d) Asking women out on dates.
3. How does Bob Presto know that Cal/Callie is not a college student?
(a) Cal/Callie wants to go to San Francisco instead of Los Angeles.
(b) Cal/Callie does not have a high school diploma.
(c) Cal/Callie does not know what city Stanford is in.
(d) Cal/Callie takes a job working for Bob Presto.
4. What business venture does Milton begin with the remaining money from the insurance settlement on the Zebra Room?
(a) A Greek restaurant.
(b) A McDonalds franchise.
(c) A series of hot dog stands.
(d) A Cadillac dealership.
5. Who discovers Callie's unusual genitals in this chapter?
(b) Dr. Luce.
(c) The emergency room doctor and nurse.
(d) The Object.
6. Which of the following changes in Callie is not typical for a girl to go through during puberty?
(a) Breast development.
(b) Lowering of the voice.
(c) Growing armpit hair.
(d) Growing public hair.
7. Why does Chapter Eleven become interested in current events and politics?
(a) He hopes to run for political office in the future.
(b) He plans to study political science at the University of Michigan.
(c) He is interested in and identifies with President Nixon.
(d) He is 18 and now eligible to be drafted into the military.
8. Why does Sourmelina move back to Detroit in 1972?
(a) Mrs. Watson wants to be closer to her family.
(b) To escape the heat of the Southwest.
(c) Because Mrs. Watson leaves her for another woman.
(d) To be closer to her family.
9. Who is the kidnapper?
(a) Dr. Philobosian.
(c) Chapter Eleven
(d) Father Mike.
10. How do Tessie and Milton react to the ER doctor's diagnosis of Callie?
(a) They are shocked and in disbelief.
(b) They accept his diagnosis and immediately take Callie to Dr. Luce.
(c) They believe the doctor has confused her with another patient.
(d) They distrust the doctor.
11. What concerns Dr. Luce most about Callie's disappearance?
(a) Dr. Luce believes Callie has false information about her condition and would like to set her straight.
(b) Dr. Luce wants to begin treatment of Callie immediately.
(c) Dr. Luce believes Callie was abducted.
(d) Dr. Luce believes that Callie is in a fragile psychological state after discovering the nature of her condition.
12. What does Callie do to try to get to know the Obscure Object better?
(a) Callie writes a note to the Object asking her to come over to Middlesex to have dinner.
(b) Callie begins smoking because she knows that the Object is also a smoker.
(c) Callie joins the Drama Club so that she can be in the play with the Object.
(d) Callie agrees to help the girl learn her lines for their class play.
13. Who poses the greatest threat to Cal, Matt and the other Deadheads living in Golden Gate Park?
(a) The homeless men living on the other side of the field.
(b) Their parents.
(c) The police.
(d) Dr. Luce.
14. Who is Hermaphroditus?
(a) A condition where a person has both male and female sex traits.
(b) A half male-half female Greek god.
(c) The fictionalized half male-half female character that Cal plays for Bob.
(d) The patron saint of hermaphrodites.
15. What role is Callie assigned in her English class production of Antigone?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Callie hide in the basement bathroom at Baker-Inglis?
2. What leads Milton to believe that the man calling him has kidnapped Callie?
3. Why does Tessie take Callie to the Golden Fleece salon?
4. What does Chapter Eleven announce he plans on majoring in after his freshman year of college?
5. Who is the first person to pick Cal/Callie up when s/he begins hitchhiking?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)