|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What industry is the Temple No. 1 involved in?
(a) Cigar rolling.
(c) Tool and dye manufacturing.
(d) Raising silkworms and weaving silk fabric.
2. Why does Milton decide to enlist in the Navy?
(a) He wants to prove to Tessie that he is a strong, brave man.
(b) He is fiercely patriotic and wants to fight to protect America.
(c) He wants to escape taking over the Zebra Room as a career.
(d) He is heartbroken when Tessie becomes engaged to Mike Antoniou.
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes the scenes of Milton in Navy training?
4. In the chapter "Tricknology", what does Lefty do to help supplement his income?
(a) He solicits women to pose for pornographic photos taken by his friend Maurice.
(b) He extends the operating hours of the Zebra Room.
(c) He rents a room in the family's home to a customer from the Zebra Room.
(d) He serves as a driver for his friend Maurice during the day.
5. What does Lefty do while working on the assembly line at Ford that angers some of the other workers?
(a) He takes English classes at the Ford language school.
(b) He eats only traditional Greek foods for lunch.
(c) He speeds up his work which forces the other workers to have to work more quickly.
(d) He brags about his well-to-do brother in law.
6. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
(a) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl and it is a girl.
(b) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy and it is a boy.
(c) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl, but it is born a boy.
(d) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy, but it is born a girl.
7. How does Milton seduce Tessie?
(a) By playing his clarinet against her skin.
(b) By complimenting her baking skills.
(c) By joining the Navy.
(d) By playing her favorite songs on her clarinet.
8. What does Desdemona admire about the women of Temple No.1?
(a) Their ability to create beautiful silk fabric.
(b) Their work ethic.
(c) Their modesty.
(d) Their religious devotion.
9. What happens to the Zebra Room in this chapter?
(a) Lefty sells the Zebra Room to a new owner.
(b) Lefty is forced to close the business because of Desdemona's disapproval.
(c) Lefty is forced to close the business because it is no longer profitable.
(d) Lefty relocates and expands the business.
10. Who is Mrs. Watson?
(a) Lefty's mistress.
(b) A customer at the Zebra Room.
(c) Milton and Tessie's neighbor.
(d) Sourmelina's lover.
11. Why do Lefty and Desdemona know that they can trust Sourmelina to keep the secret that they are siblings?
(a) Sourmelina has her own secret: she is a lesbian.
(b) Lefty and Desdemona threaten Sourmelina.
(c) Sourmelina does not know that Lefty and Desdemona are siblings.
(d) Lefty and Desdemona pay Sourmelina a fee for her silence.
12. What does Desdemona keep in the silkworm box to predict the sex of a baby?
(a) The rope wedding crowns.
(b) A silver spoon.
(c) Her hair braids.
(d) A silkworm cocoon.
13. Which of the following statements best describes Lefty?
(a) A modern man in a traditional town.
(b) A cruel, abusive alcoholic.
(c) A traditional man in a modern town.
(d) A jazz loving gangster.
14. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
(a) A silver spoon.
(c) Silkworm cocoons.
(d) Silkworm eggs.
15. Why doesn't Milton want Calliope to talk to Marius Grimes?
(a) Because Milton believes Marius is homeless.
(b) Because he uses vulgar language.
(c) Because of his race.
(d) Because he does not speak English.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Milton's birth?
2. How does Callie become a first hand witness to the burning of the diner?
3. Why does the silk Lefty sells in the market not earn much money?
4. What is unique about Calliope's fifth chromosome?
5. Why is Lefty fired from the Ford automobile company?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)