|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Lefty able to get he and Desdemona out of the burning city of Smyrna?
(a) He buys tickets on boat bound for Greece.
(b) He asks Dr. Philobosian to allow them to hide in his home.
(c) He hitchikes from the city into the mountains.
(d) He pretends they are French citizens in order to gain passage on a departing boat.
2. What does Lefty decide to do to earn money to support his family after Jimmy Zismo's death?
(a) Work at the Ford factory.
(b) Take over Jimmy's bootlegging business.
(c) Open a bar, the Zebra Room, in his basement.
(d) Sell Jimmy's zebra skin rug.
3. In the chapter "Tricknology", what does Lefty do to help supplement his income?
(a) He extends the operating hours of the Zebra Room.
(b) He solicits women to pose for pornographic photos taken by his friend Maurice.
(c) He rents a room in the family's home to a customer from the Zebra Room.
(d) He serves as a driver for his friend Maurice during the day.
4. What commentary on beauty does Julie Kikuchi make in this chapter?
(a) Beauty is only skin deep.
(b) True beauty comes from inside a person.
(c) Gender has no bearing on beauty.
(d) Beauty is always freakish.
5. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
(a) It is the Prohibition and alcohol was extremely expensive in the U.S.
(b) He doesn't want to have to pay high tariff fees by bringing the liquor over the border.
(c) The liquor that he imports is not available in the U.S.
(d) It is the Prohibition. Distilling and selling liquor is illegal in the U.S.
6. What is ironic about the fact that Milton decides to join the Navy instead of the Army?
(a) Desdemona fears for Milton's life because he will be going into war.
(b) Milton his afraid of boats.
(c) Milton cannot swim.
(d) His father was a soldier in the Greek Army.
7. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
(a) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy and it is a boy.
(b) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy, but it is born a girl.
(c) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl and it is a girl.
(d) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl, but it is born a boy.
8. Why does Desdemona visit Dr. Philobosian in this chapter?
(a) To have a physical examination
(b) Because she has contracted an illness from the silk workers
(c) To determine whether or not she is pregnant
(d) To ask him to sterilize her so she will not be able to have more children.
9. What artistic medium does Julie Kikuchi work with?
10. Which of the following adjectives best describes the scenes of Milton in Navy training?
11. What does Dr. Philobosian have that he believes will protect him from the Turks?
(a) Money to bribe the Turkish soldiers.
(b) A successful medical practice.
(c) A letter certifying that he treated the Turkish military leader.
(d) A letter certifying that he treated the Greek military leader.
12. What is political and social climate of Detroit in this chapter?
(a) There is racial conflict between black and whites.
(b) The federal government has taken over control of the city.
(c) There is racial harmony between blacks and whites.
(d) Poor economics have forced several local businesses to close.
13. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
(a) Silkworm eggs.
(b) Silkworm cocoons.
(d) A silver spoon.
14. Who is Mrs. Watson?
(a) A customer at the Zebra Room.
(b) Lefty's mistress.
(c) Sourmelina's lover.
(d) Milton and Tessie's neighbor.
15. What concerns Milton about Lefty's business practices at the Zebra Room?
(a) Milton is concerned about Lefty's dealings with bootleggers.
(b) Milton believes it is immoral for Lefty to sell alcohol in the Zebra Room.
(c) Milton worries that the Zebra Room will be broken into because it is in a bad neighborhood.
(d) Milton does not understand why Lefty is paying for three insurance policies on the building.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Lefty give Desdemona for his trip into town?
2. What is the first luxury Milton purchases with the insurance money?
3. What does Desdemona do following Lefty's death?
4. What happens to the Zebra Room's earnings?
5. What happens to Jimmy on Lefty's and his last trip out to the lake?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)