|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lefty and Desdemona's sponsor for entry into America?
(a) They do not need a sponsor to enter the U.S.
(b) Their friend, Dr. Philobosian.
(c) Their cousin, Sourmelina.
(d) Captain Kontoulis.
2. What does the narrator say his purpose for telling this story?
(a) To record the history of his genetic anomaly.
(b) To share his family history.
(c) To explain why he is the way he is.
(d) To convince the reader to accept him.
3. What is Lefty's actual motivation for going into town?
(a) To sell the silk cocoons at market.
(b) To visit a local bar and brothel.
(c) To shop for groceries at the market.
(d) To court a woman he hopes to marry.
4. What does Desdemona promise St. Christopher she will do if Milton is spared injury in the war?
(a) She will attend church on a daily basis.
(b) She will donate a large portion of her earnings to the church.
(c) She will send Milton to Bithynios to repair the town's church.
(d) She will confess to her children that she and Lefty are brother and sister.
5. What causes conflict between Jimmy and Lefty?
(a) Lefty suspects Jimmy of cheating on Sourmelina.
(b) Jimmy suspects that Lefty is actually the father of Sourmelina's baby.
(c) Jimmy believes that Lefty has stolen money from him.
(d) Jimmy drives the Packard too quickly over the lake and frightens Lefty.
6. What religion do the members of Temple No. 1 practice?
(a) Greek Orthodox Christianity.
(d) No religion. They are a business, not a church.
7. How is Lefty able to get he and Desdemona out of the burning city of Smyrna?
(a) He hitchikes from the city into the mountains.
(b) He asks Dr. Philobosian to allow them to hide in his home.
(c) He buys tickets on boat bound for Greece.
(d) He pretends they are French citizens in order to gain passage on a departing boat.
8. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
(b) A silver spoon.
(c) Silkworm cocoons.
(d) Silkworm eggs.
9. To what religious faith does Stephanides family belong?
(a) Greek Orthodox Church.
(b) The Roman Catholic Church.
(c) The Presbyterian Church.
(d) The Church of Islam.
10. Where does Tessie and her family wait out the riots?
(a) In Desdemona and Lefty's room in their attic.
(b) At the Zebra Room.
(c) In Desdemona and Lefty's room in their basement.
(d) At a neighbor's home.
11. What is the "maze" that Jimmy tells Lefty women should be "shut up in"?
(b) House work.
12. What condition must Desdemona meet to be hired by the Temple No. 1?
(a) She must prove that she is capable of raising silk worms.
(b) She must pledge allegiance to their religious leader, Minister Fard.
(c) She must convince them that she had black ancestors.
(d) She must demonstrate that she knows how to weave silk into fabric.
13. What is the fate of the Silk Room at Temple No. 1 when Elijah Muhammed takes over as leader after Fard's arrest.?
(a) It closes.
(b) It is expanded.
(c) It is relocated to a new building.
(d) It is downsized.
14. Who does Desdemona hope that Milton will marry?
(a) Tessie Zismo.
(b) Julie Kikuchi.
(c) Gaia Vasilakis.
(d) Zoe Stephanides.
15. What concerns Milton about Lefty's business practices at the Zebra Room?
(a) Milton believes it is immoral for Lefty to sell alcohol in the Zebra Room.
(b) Milton does not understand why Lefty is paying for three insurance policies on the building.
(c) Milton worries that the Zebra Room will be broken into because it is in a bad neighborhood.
(d) Milton is concerned about Lefty's dealings with bootleggers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Milton decide to take the Annapolis entrance exam?
2. What commentary on beauty does Julie Kikuchi make in this chapter?
3. What helps narrator feel more masculine?
4. What is located in Desdemona's hope chest that she fears she will never use?
5. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Milton's birth?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)