|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements best describes Uncle Pete?
(a) A superstitious old man.
(b) A self-made business man.
(c) A sweet natured priest.
(d) An intellectual chiropractor.
2. What does Lefty decide to do to earn money to support his family after Jimmy Zismo's death?
(a) Take over Jimmy's bootlegging business.
(b) Sell Jimmy's zebra skin rug.
(c) Work at the Ford factory.
(d) Open a bar, the Zebra Room, in his basement.
3. Which of the following actions is NOT part of Lefty and Desdemona's plan to convince themselves and others that they are young lovers rather than brother and sister?
(a) They consummate their marriage in the life boat.
(b) They have chance meetings on the deck pretending to be getting to know each other for the first time.
(c) They discuss their family tree as if they are learning it for the first time.
(d) They board the ship separately.
4. Why does Milton decide to enlist in the Navy?
(a) He is fiercely patriotic and wants to fight to protect America.
(b) He wants to escape taking over the Zebra Room as a career.
(c) He is heartbroken when Tessie becomes engaged to Mike Antoniou.
(d) He wants to prove to Tessie that he is a strong, brave man.
5. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
(a) Silkworm eggs.
(b) Silkworm cocoons.
(d) A silver spoon.
6. What is the "maze" that Jimmy tells Lefty women should be "shut up in"?
(a) House work.
7. What does Chapter Eleven do after the church service that shocks and frightens Tessie?
(a) He brings a dead bird into to show Father Mike.
(b) He spills hot coffee on a little girl.
(c) He climbs up on a chair in the reception room.
(d) He shouts obscenities in the church.
8. What is unusual about Lefty and Desdemona's relationship?
(a) They live alone in their family home after their parents die.
(b) They are pretending to be brother and sister, but are actually involved in a romantic relationship.
(c) They are sexually attracted to each other even though they are brother and sister.
(d) They have very different interests. Lefty likes the modern, city life while Desdemona is more traditional.
9. What concerns Milton about Lefty's business practices at the Zebra Room?
(a) Milton worries that the Zebra Room will be broken into because it is in a bad neighborhood.
(b) Milton does not understand why Lefty is paying for three insurance policies on the building.
(c) Milton believes it is immoral for Lefty to sell alcohol in the Zebra Room.
(d) Milton is concerned about Lefty's dealings with bootleggers.
10. What is ironic about the fact that Milton decides to join the Navy instead of the Army?
(a) Milton his afraid of boats.
(b) Milton cannot swim.
(c) Desdemona fears for Milton's life because he will be going into war.
(d) His father was a soldier in the Greek Army.
11. What does Desdemona admire about the women of Temple No.1?
(a) Their work ethic.
(b) Their modesty.
(c) Their ability to create beautiful silk fabric.
(d) Their religious devotion.
12. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
(a) It is the Prohibition. Distilling and selling liquor is illegal in the U.S.
(b) The liquor that he imports is not available in the U.S.
(c) He doesn't want to have to pay high tariff fees by bringing the liquor over the border.
(d) It is the Prohibition and alcohol was extremely expensive in the U.S.
13. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to when they arrive in the United States?
(a) Grosse Pointe.
(b) New York City.
(c) New Smyrna.
14. What happens to Jimmy on Lefty's and his last trip out to the lake?
(a) He is caught by the police for bootlegging.
(b) He and Lefty fight and Jimmy is hurt.
(c) Jimmy crashes the Packard into a telephone pole.
(d) The Packard breaks through the ice and sinks below the surface with Jimmy inside.
15. What is the first luxury Milton purchases with the insurance money?
(a) A Cadillac.
(b) Plane tickets to Turkey.
(c) A new home in Grosse Pointe.
(d) The first Hercules Hot Dog stand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lefty do while working on the assembly line at Ford that angers some of the other workers?
2. What is the cause of Desdemona's heart palpitations?
3. What does Callie witness late one night that foreshadows the violent turn that the riots will take?
4. Why did Sourmelina's parents send her to America?
5. What does Desdemona promise St. Christopher she will do if Milton is spared injury in the war?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)