|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle Pete encourage Tessie and Milton to do to ensure their baby will be a girl?
(a) Go to church and pray that they will have a baby girl.
(b) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours before she ovulates.
(c) Use in-vitro fertilization.
(d) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours after she ovulates.
2. What is the English translation of "ex ovo omnia"?
(a) Everything is an egg.
(b) Every child begins as an egg.
(c) Everything comes out of an egg.
(d) Everything exits an egg.
3. Who does Zoe end up marrying?
(a) Chapter Eleven.
(b) Dr. Philobosian.
(d) Father Mike.
4. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Milton's birth?
(a) Have another child.
(b) Tell anyone that she and Lefty are brother and sister.
(c) Care for Sourmelina's baby, Theodora.
(d) Predict the sex of an unborn child using her silver spoon.
5. Which of the following adjectives best describes the scenes of Milton in Navy training?
6. What condition must Desdemona meet to be hired by the Temple No. 1?
(a) She must prove that she is capable of raising silk worms.
(b) She must pledge allegiance to their religious leader, Minister Fard.
(c) She must convince them that she had black ancestors.
(d) She must demonstrate that she knows how to weave silk into fabric.
7. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to when they arrive in the United States?
(a) New Smyrna.
(b) Grosse Pointe.
(d) New York City.
8. Why does Milton decide to take the Annapolis entrance exam?
(a) Because he will be exempt from drills while taking the test.
(b) Because he has dreamed of becoming a Navy officer.
(c) Because he wants to be relocated closer to Tessie.
(d) Because he believes that being accepted into Annapolis will make Tessie proud of him.
9. What does Mike Antoniou think of Tessie's daily trips to the movie theatre?
(a) He is concerned that movie going will interfere with her volunteer duties.
(b) He is glad that she has found something that she enjoys to fill her time while he is away.
(c) He thinks that movies are immoral.
(d) He believes that it is frivolous to attend movies while the war is going on.
10. Why does Milton decide to enlist in the Navy?
(a) He is heartbroken when Tessie becomes engaged to Mike Antoniou.
(b) He is fiercely patriotic and wants to fight to protect America.
(c) He wants to escape taking over the Zebra Room as a career.
(d) He wants to prove to Tessie that he is a strong, brave man.
11. Why doesn't Milton want Calliope to talk to Marius Grimes?
(a) Because Milton believes Marius is homeless.
(b) Because he does not speak English.
(c) Because of his race.
(d) Because he uses vulgar language.
12. What does Lefty resolve to do after his visit to the brothel?
(a) Attend the local Greek church more often.
(b) Marry a village girl and start a family.
(c) Leave Bithynios to immigrate to America.
(d) Tell Desdemona of his feelings for her.
13. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Calliope's birth?
(a) Speak to Tessie.
(b) Leave her ill husband alone.
(c) Predict a child's sex.
(d) Attend church.
14. What is the cause of Desdemona's heart palpitations?
(a) Stress over the Greek occupation of Turkey.
(b) Unproductive silkworms.
(c) A rare genetic disorder.
(d) Grief over the deaths of her parents.
15. What is the only article of modern technology does the superstitious and traditional Desdemona embraces?
(a) The automobile.
(b) The television.
(c) The vacuum cleaner.
(d) The record player (hi-fi).
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Milton as he is about to go into war that Desdemona believes is an answer to her prayers?
2. What does Dr. Philobosian have that he believes will protect him from the Turks?
3. Who is Fard Muhammad?
4. Who does Desdemona hope that Milton will marry?
5. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to in this chapter?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)