|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who marries Lefty and Desdemona on the boat?
(a) Dr. Philobosian.
(b) No one, they are not married until they reach America.
(c) A priest traveling on the Giulia.
(d) Captain Kontoulis.
2. Who does Zoe end up marrying?
(a) Chapter Eleven.
(b) Father Mike.
(d) Dr. Philobosian.
3. What does Callie witness late one night that foreshadows the violent turn that the riots will take?
(a) President Johnson announcing on t.v. that he is sending federal troops into Detroit.
(b) A tank rolling down the street.
(c) Milton loading a pistol with bullets.
(d) News footage of the number of deaths, injuries and fires caused during the riots.
4. Who does Desdemona over hear through the heating vents in the Silk Room of the Temple No. 1?
(a) W.D. Fard.
(b) The Prophet Muhammed.
(c) Betty Smith.
(d) Sister Wanda.
5. What artistic medium does Julie Kikuchi work with?
6. Why did Sourmelina's parents send her to America?
(a) They wanted her to find fame and fortune in America.
(b) They could not afford to support an unmarried daughter.
(c) They could not find a man to marry her in Bithynios.
(d) She was caught in a scandalous affair with a woman.
7. Why are realtors reluctant to sell Milton a home in Grosse Pointe?
(a) Because of the way he dresses.
(b) Because of his Greek background.
(c) Because they do not believe he can afford the mortgage.
(d) Because of his loud voice.
8. What is unusual about Lefty and Desdemona's relationship?
(a) They are sexually attracted to each other even though they are brother and sister.
(b) They live alone in their family home after their parents die.
(c) They have very different interests. Lefty likes the modern, city life while Desdemona is more traditional.
(d) They are pretending to be brother and sister, but are actually involved in a romantic relationship.
9. How does Lefty communicate with Calliope?
(a) Using sign language.
(b) By making faces.
(c) By writing on his chalkboard.
(d) By speaking.
10. What does Desdemona keep in the silkworm box to predict the sex of a baby?
(a) The rope wedding crowns.
(b) Her hair braids.
(c) A silkworm cocoon.
(d) A silver spoon.
11. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
(a) He doesn't want to have to pay high tariff fees by bringing the liquor over the border.
(b) The liquor that he imports is not available in the U.S.
(c) It is the Prohibition. Distilling and selling liquor is illegal in the U.S.
(d) It is the Prohibition and alcohol was extremely expensive in the U.S.
12. Which of the following is NOT a criterion in the real estate "Point System"?
(a) Marital status.
(b) Ethnic origin.
13. What does Mike Antoniou think of Tessie's daily trips to the movie theatre?
(a) He thinks that movies are immoral.
(b) He is glad that she has found something that she enjoys to fill her time while he is away.
(c) He is concerned that movie going will interfere with her volunteer duties.
(d) He believes that it is frivolous to attend movies while the war is going on.
14. What does Desdemona's mother say is critical for encourage silk worms to produce good silk?
(a) Soft music.
(b) Their caretaker's purity.
(d) A warm environment.
15. Which of the following statements best describes Lefty?
(a) A traditional man in a modern town.
(b) A modern man in a traditional town.
(c) A jazz loving gangster.
(d) A cruel, abusive alcoholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is located in Desdemona's hope chest that she fears she will never use?
2. What religion do the members of Temple No. 1 practice?
3. What is Lefty's actual motivation for going into town?
4. What commentary on beauty does Julie Kikuchi make in this chapter?
5. How is Lefty able to get he and Desdemona out of the burning city of Smyrna?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)