|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lefty resolve to do after his visit to the brothel?
(a) Tell Desdemona of his feelings for her.
(b) Leave Bithynios to immigrate to America.
(c) Marry a village girl and start a family.
(d) Attend the local Greek church more often.
2. What shocks Desdemona and Lefty about Sourmelina's husband, Jimmy Zismo?
(a) His occupation.
(b) His dark skin.
(c) His religious beliefs.
(d) His wealth.
3. What does Desdemona's mother say is critical for encourage silk worms to produce good silk?
(b) Their caretaker's purity.
(c) A warm environment.
(d) Soft music.
4. Who marries Lefty and Desdemona on the boat?
(a) Captain Kontoulis.
(b) No one, they are not married until they reach America.
(c) A priest traveling on the Giulia.
(d) Dr. Philobosian.
5. What does Desdemona do to help make the village girls more attractive to Lefty?
(a) She teaches them to look like the girls in a lingerie catalog hidden in her father's dresser.
(b) She teaches them how to talk to a man in a seductive way.
(c) She gives them sex lessons.
(d) She encourages them to practice personal hygiene.
6. Why are realtors reluctant to sell Milton a home in Grosse Pointe?
(a) Because of his loud voice.
(b) Because they do not believe he can afford the mortgage.
(c) Because of his Greek background.
(d) Because of the way he dresses.
7. What is the English translation of "ex ovo omnia"?
(a) Every child begins as an egg.
(b) Everything is an egg.
(c) Everything comes out of an egg.
(d) Everything exits an egg.
8. Which of the following adjectives best describes the scenes of Milton in Navy training?
9. Which of the following is NOT a criterion in the real estate "Point System"?
(a) Ethnic origin.
(c) Marital status.
10. Who is Lefty and Desdemona's sponsor for entry into America?
(a) Captain Kontoulis.
(b) They do not need a sponsor to enter the U.S.
(c) Their cousin, Sourmelina.
(d) Their friend, Dr. Philobosian.
11. What is Lefty's actual motivation for going into town?
(a) To shop for groceries at the market.
(b) To visit a local bar and brothel.
(c) To court a woman he hopes to marry.
(d) To sell the silk cocoons at market.
12. Why doesn't Milton want Calliope to talk to Marius Grimes?
(a) Because Milton believes Marius is homeless.
(b) Because he uses vulgar language.
(c) Because of his race.
(d) Because he does not speak English.
13. What concerns Milton about Lefty's business practices at the Zebra Room?
(a) Milton does not understand why Lefty is paying for three insurance policies on the building.
(b) Milton believes it is immoral for Lefty to sell alcohol in the Zebra Room.
(c) Milton is concerned about Lefty's dealings with bootleggers.
(d) Milton worries that the Zebra Room will be broken into because it is in a bad neighborhood.
14. What is unusual about Lefty and Desdemona's relationship?
(a) They live alone in their family home after their parents die.
(b) They are sexually attracted to each other even though they are brother and sister.
(c) They have very different interests. Lefty likes the modern, city life while Desdemona is more traditional.
(d) They are pretending to be brother and sister, but are actually involved in a romantic relationship.
15. What industry is the Temple No. 1 involved in?
(a) Tool and dye manufacturing.
(b) Cigar rolling.
(c) Raising silkworms and weaving silk fabric.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about Calliope's fifth chromosome?
2. What helps narrator feel more masculine?
3. What mistake does Dr. Philobosian make when the narrator is born?
4. What play do the two couples go to see the night that their babies are conceived?
5. Why does Desdemona visit Dr. Philobosian in this chapter?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)