|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Zoe end up marrying?
(b) Chapter Eleven.
(c) Father Mike.
(d) Dr. Philobosian.
2. What is located in Desdemona's hope chest that she fears she will never use?
(a) An olive wood silkworm box.
(b) A wedding dress.
(c) A corset.
(d) A baby blanket.
3. How is Lefty able to get he and Desdemona out of the burning city of Smyrna?
(a) He asks Dr. Philobosian to allow them to hide in his home.
(b) He hitchikes from the city into the mountains.
(c) He buys tickets on boat bound for Greece.
(d) He pretends they are French citizens in order to gain passage on a departing boat.
4. What does Lefty resolve to do after his visit to the brothel?
(a) Attend the local Greek church more often.
(b) Marry a village girl and start a family.
(c) Leave Bithynios to immigrate to America.
(d) Tell Desdemona of his feelings for her.
5. How do Lefty's and Dr. Philobosian's paths cross?
(a) They are both are fleeing Turkey.
(b) They meet and strike up a conversation at a bakery in Smyrna.
(c) They are both digging through garbage bins looking for food.
(d) The doctor offers Lefty money and medical treatment while he is in Smyrna.
6. What does Desdemona do to help make the village girls more attractive to Lefty?
(a) She encourages them to practice personal hygiene.
(b) She gives them sex lessons.
(c) She teaches them to look like the girls in a lingerie catalog hidden in her father's dresser.
(d) She teaches them how to talk to a man in a seductive way.
7. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Calliope's birth?
(a) Leave her ill husband alone.
(b) Predict a child's sex.
(c) Attend church.
(d) Speak to Tessie.
8. In the chapter "Tricknology", what does Lefty do to help supplement his income?
(a) He serves as a driver for his friend Maurice during the day.
(b) He extends the operating hours of the Zebra Room.
(c) He rents a room in the family's home to a customer from the Zebra Room.
(d) He solicits women to pose for pornographic photos taken by his friend Maurice.
9. Why doesn't Milton want Calliope to talk to Marius Grimes?
(a) Because he does not speak English.
(b) Because he uses vulgar language.
(c) Because Milton believes Marius is homeless.
(d) Because of his race.
10. Why does Milton decide to take the Annapolis entrance exam?
(a) Because he has dreamed of becoming a Navy officer.
(b) Because he will be exempt from drills while taking the test.
(c) Because he believes that being accepted into Annapolis will make Tessie proud of him.
(d) Because he wants to be relocated closer to Tessie.
11. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
(a) He doesn't want to have to pay high tariff fees by bringing the liquor over the border.
(b) The liquor that he imports is not available in the U.S.
(c) It is the Prohibition and alcohol was extremely expensive in the U.S.
(d) It is the Prohibition. Distilling and selling liquor is illegal in the U.S.
12. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
(a) All of their neighbors are leaving and they do not want to be left alone in the village.
(b) The advancing Turkish army.
(c) The strong desire to join their cousin in America.
(d) The advancing Greek army.
13. What helps narrator feel more masculine?
(a) A checked shirt.
(b) His full head of hair.
(c) Using urinals in the men's bathroom.
14. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to in this chapter?
(a) Milton and Tessie's home in Indian Village.
(c) Grosse Pointe.
15. What does Desdemona fear will happen to Lefty?
(a) He will marry an unattractive Turkish woman.
(b) He will never marry and will die alone.
(c) He will marry a village girl and will leave Desdemona alone to care for the cocoonery.
(d) He will become a smoker and alcoholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes conflict between Jimmy and Lefty?
2. What artistic medium does Julie Kikuchi work with?
3. What happens to Jimmy on Lefty's and his last trip out to the lake?
4. What does Mike Antoniou think of Tessie's daily trips to the movie theatre?
5. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)