|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is significant about Callie's and Clementine's soak in the Middlesex hot tub?
(a) The girls discover their interest in water ballet.
(b) Callie discovers she is sexually attracted to girls.
(c) Callie injures Clementine.
(d) Lefty spies on the girls while they are in the hot tub.
2. Why doesn't Milton want Calliope to talk to Marius Grimes?
(a) Because of his race.
(b) Because he uses vulgar language.
(c) Because he does not speak English.
(d) Because Milton believes Marius is homeless.
3. What does Desdemona do following Lefty's death?
(a) She climbs into her bed and does not leave it for ten years.
(b) She moves from the guest house into the main house at Middlesex.
(c) She wails and throws herself on his coffin.
(d) She moves to the Southwest with Sourmelina.
4. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
(a) Her grandfather has his first stroke.
(b) The Korean War begins.
(c) Her grandfather dies.
(d) Callie's parents discover she has a rare genetic disorder.
5. What religion do the members of Temple No. 1 practice?
(b) No religion. They are a business, not a church.
(d) Greek Orthodox Christianity.
6. What is the cause of Desdemona's heart palpitations?
(a) Unproductive silkworms.
(b) Stress over the Greek occupation of Turkey.
(c) Grief over the deaths of her parents.
(d) A rare genetic disorder.
7. Who does Desdemona hope that Tessie will marry?
(a) Mike Antoniou.
(b) Dr. Philobosian.
(c) Milton Stephanides.
(d) Gus Vasilakis.
8. How does Milton seduce Tessie?
(a) By joining the Navy.
(b) By playing his clarinet against her skin.
(c) By playing her favorite songs on her clarinet.
(d) By complimenting her baking skills.
9. Who is Lefty and Desdemona's sponsor for entry into America?
(a) They do not need a sponsor to enter the U.S.
(b) Their cousin, Sourmelina.
(c) Captain Kontoulis.
(d) Their friend, Dr. Philobosian.
10. Which of the following factors complicates Tessie's relationship with Father Mike?
(a) Father Mike is embarrassed he was not promoted to the head priest position in the church.
(b) They were engaged to be married years ago.
(c) Tessie does not like Father Mike's wife, Zoe.
(d) Father Mike is married to Milton's sister.
11. What does Uncle Pete encourage Tessie and Milton to do to ensure their baby will be a girl?
(a) Use in-vitro fertilization.
(b) Go to church and pray that they will have a baby girl.
(c) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours after she ovulates.
(d) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours before she ovulates.
12. What happens to Milton as he is about to go into war that Desdemona believes is an answer to her prayers?
(a) He receives word that Tessie has broken off her engagement to Mike.
(b) He is discharged from the Navy and is able to return to Detroit to work in the Zebra Room.
(c) He is injured by a fellow seaman and spends the rest of the war safely in a US hospital.
(d) He receives word that he has been accepted to the US Naval Academy and is immediately transported off of the ship.
13. What concerns Milton about Lefty's business practices at the Zebra Room?
(a) Milton is concerned about Lefty's dealings with bootleggers.
(b) Milton worries that the Zebra Room will be broken into because it is in a bad neighborhood.
(c) Milton believes it is immoral for Lefty to sell alcohol in the Zebra Room.
(d) Milton does not understand why Lefty is paying for three insurance policies on the building.
14. Why does the narrator say that the riots were "the best thing that ever happened to us"?
(a) Because Lefty had three insurance policies on the Zebra Room, the family was paid a large sum of money when the business burned down.
(b) Fear of having their home and business destroyed during the riots brought the Stephanides family closer together.
(c) Because the Zebra Room was a failing business, it was a relief to the family to not have to worry about profits any more.
(d) The riots made the Stephanides family develop a strong sense of pride in their Greek heritage.
15. Which of the following statements best describes Uncle Pete?
(a) A self-made business man.
(b) A sweet natured priest.
(c) An intellectual chiropractor.
(d) A superstitious old man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lefty fired from the Ford automobile company?
2. Where does Tessie and her family wait out the riots?
3. What does Desdemona do to help make the village girls more attractive to Lefty?
4. Who is the narrator of the story?
5. What causes conflict between Jimmy and Lefty?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)