|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
(a) English phrases.
(b) A Bible passage forbidding incest.
(c) A Bible passage about eunuchs.
(d) Passages from the Greek Bible.
2. Where does Tessie and her family wait out the riots?
(a) In Desdemona and Lefty's room in their basement.
(b) In Desdemona and Lefty's room in their attic.
(c) At a neighbor's home.
(d) At the Zebra Room.
3. Why does Milton decide to enlist in the Navy?
(a) He is fiercely patriotic and wants to fight to protect America.
(b) He is heartbroken when Tessie becomes engaged to Mike Antoniou.
(c) He wants to prove to Tessie that he is a strong, brave man.
(d) He wants to escape taking over the Zebra Room as a career.
4. What concerns Milton about Lefty's business practices at the Zebra Room?
(a) Milton does not understand why Lefty is paying for three insurance policies on the building.
(b) Milton is concerned about Lefty's dealings with bootleggers.
(c) Milton worries that the Zebra Room will be broken into because it is in a bad neighborhood.
(d) Milton believes it is immoral for Lefty to sell alcohol in the Zebra Room.
5. What commentary on beauty does Julie Kikuchi make in this chapter?
(a) Beauty is always freakish.
(b) Beauty is only skin deep.
(c) Gender has no bearing on beauty.
(d) True beauty comes from inside a person.
6. Why does the narrator say that the riots were "the best thing that ever happened to us"?
(a) Because the Zebra Room was a failing business, it was a relief to the family to not have to worry about profits any more.
(b) Because Lefty had three insurance policies on the Zebra Room, the family was paid a large sum of money when the business burned down.
(c) The riots made the Stephanides family develop a strong sense of pride in their Greek heritage.
(d) Fear of having their home and business destroyed during the riots brought the Stephanides family closer together.
7. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Milton's birth?
(a) Care for Sourmelina's baby, Theodora.
(b) Predict the sex of an unborn child using her silver spoon.
(c) Tell anyone that she and Lefty are brother and sister.
(d) Have another child.
8. In "Opa!", why is Milton suddenly around the house more than at the diner?
(a) Milton has sold the Zebra Room to a new owner.
(b) The bank has foreclosed on the diner.
(c) Business is bad so Milton closes the restaurant several days a week.
(d) Milton wants to help care for his father, Lefty, after his stroke.
9. How does Callie become a first hand witness to the burning of the diner?
(a) She rides her bike to the Zebra Room to help her father.
(b) Milton tells Callie the story of the fire when he arrives home from the diner.
(c) She sees news footage of the diner catching fire on t.v.
(d) Tessie drives the family to the Zebra Room to help Milton.
10. What mistake does Dr. Philobosian make when the narrator is born?
(a) He fails to administer an epidural to Tessie.
(b) He becomes distracted by Nurse Rosalee.
(c) He fails to fully examine his/her genitals thus does not notice s/he was a hermaphrodite.
(d) He incorrectly diagnoses the baby with a birth defect.
11. Who does Desdemona over hear through the heating vents in the Silk Room of the Temple No. 1?
(a) W.D. Fard.
(b) The Prophet Muhammed.
(c) Sister Wanda.
(d) Betty Smith.
12. Why does Milton decide to take the Annapolis entrance exam?
(a) Because he believes that being accepted into Annapolis will make Tessie proud of him.
(b) Because he wants to be relocated closer to Tessie.
(c) Because he will be exempt from drills while taking the test.
(d) Because he has dreamed of becoming a Navy officer.
13. What medical fact does Dr. Philobosian share with Desdemona that makes her worry about her pregnancy?
(a) Babies must be baptized while they are still in the womb.
(b) The baby will take on the traits of whatever picture a woman is looking at when the baby is conceived.
(c) Women must take folic acid to prevent birth defects.
(d) Birth defects in babies usually only occur when families intermarry.
14. What does Dr. Philobosian have that he believes will protect him from the Turks?
(a) A successful medical practice.
(b) A letter certifying that he treated the Turkish military leader.
(c) A letter certifying that he treated the Greek military leader.
(d) Money to bribe the Turkish soldiers.
15. What does Lefty do while working on the assembly line at Ford that angers some of the other workers?
(a) He eats only traditional Greek foods for lunch.
(b) He takes English classes at the Ford language school.
(c) He speeds up his work which forces the other workers to have to work more quickly.
(d) He brags about his well-to-do brother in law.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desdemona do following Lefty's death?
2. What is the first luxury Milton purchases with the insurance money?
3. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
4. How does Lefty manage to keep the men in the gaming room from stealing his winnings?
5. What happens to Milton as he is about to go into war that Desdemona believes is an answer to her prayers?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)