|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Milton want Calliope to talk to Marius Grimes?
(a) Because he uses vulgar language.
(b) Because Milton believes Marius is homeless.
(c) Because of his race.
(d) Because he does not speak English.
2. Why does the silk Lefty sells in the market not earn much money?
(a) The merchants are poor and are unable to pay much for the silk.
(b) The silk is of poor quality and can only be used to make organzine.
(c) Desdemona does not give him enough cocoons to sell.
(d) He brings the cocoons to market too late in the day.
3. Who marries Lefty and Desdemona on the boat?
(a) Dr. Philobosian.
(b) Captain Kontoulis.
(c) A priest traveling on the Giulia.
(d) No one, they are not married until they reach America.
4. What is significant about Callie's and Clementine's soak in the Middlesex hot tub?
(a) The girls discover their interest in water ballet.
(b) Callie injures Clementine.
(c) Callie discovers she is sexually attracted to girls.
(d) Lefty spies on the girls while they are in the hot tub.
5. What is unique about Calliope's fifth chromosome?
(a) It produces an enzyme that prevents her from producing a certain hormone.
(b) It impairs her brain development.
(c) It leads her to be a large baby.
(d) It's structure causes her to have a birth defect.
6. Who is Lefty and Desdemona's sponsor for entry into America?
(a) They do not need a sponsor to enter the U.S.
(b) Their cousin, Sourmelina.
(c) Captain Kontoulis.
(d) Their friend, Dr. Philobosian.
7. What does the narrator say his purpose for telling this story?
(a) To share his family history.
(b) To convince the reader to accept him.
(c) To record the history of his genetic anomaly.
(d) To explain why he is the way he is.
8. What is political and social climate of Detroit in this chapter?
(a) Poor economics have forced several local businesses to close.
(b) There is racial conflict between black and whites.
(c) There is racial harmony between blacks and whites.
(d) The federal government has taken over control of the city.
9. What play do the two couples go to see the night that their babies are conceived?
(a) The Minotaur.
(d) King Lear.
10. How does Callie become a first hand witness to the burning of the diner?
(a) She sees news footage of the diner catching fire on t.v.
(b) Tessie drives the family to the Zebra Room to help Milton.
(c) Milton tells Callie the story of the fire when he arrives home from the diner.
(d) She rides her bike to the Zebra Room to help her father.
11. Why does Jimmy Fioretos call to wake Milton early one morning?
(a) The Zebra Room has caught on fire.
(b) The Zebra Room has been broken into.
(c) Jimmy wants Milton to help him protect his business.
(d) Race riots have begun in the city near the Zebra Room.
12. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
(a) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy, but it is born a girl.
(b) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl, but it is born a boy.
(c) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy and it is a boy.
(d) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl and it is a girl.
13. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
(a) Callie's parents discover she has a rare genetic disorder.
(b) The Korean War begins.
(c) Her grandfather dies.
(d) Her grandfather has his first stroke.
14. How is Lefty able to get he and Desdemona out of the burning city of Smyrna?
(a) He asks Dr. Philobosian to allow them to hide in his home.
(b) He buys tickets on boat bound for Greece.
(c) He pretends they are French citizens in order to gain passage on a departing boat.
(d) He hitchikes from the city into the mountains.
15. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
(a) He doesn't want to have to pay high tariff fees by bringing the liquor over the border.
(b) The liquor that he imports is not available in the U.S.
(c) It is the Prohibition. Distilling and selling liquor is illegal in the U.S.
(d) It is the Prohibition and alcohol was extremely expensive in the U.S.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the source of Dr. Philobosian's sadness?
2. What mistake does Dr. Philobosian make when the narrator is born?
3. What does Uncle Pete encourage Tessie and Milton to do to ensure their baby will be a girl?
4. Which of the following factors complicates Tessie's relationship with Father Mike?
5. Why does Desdemona visit Dr. Philobosian in this chapter?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)