|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Philobosian have that he believes will protect him from the Turks?
(a) A letter certifying that he treated the Greek military leader.
(b) A letter certifying that he treated the Turkish military leader.
(c) Money to bribe the Turkish soldiers.
(d) A successful medical practice.
2. What does Lefty resolve to do after his visit to the brothel?
(a) Leave Bithynios to immigrate to America.
(b) Marry a village girl and start a family.
(c) Attend the local Greek church more often.
(d) Tell Desdemona of his feelings for her.
3. What medical fact does Dr. Philobosian share with Desdemona that makes her worry about her pregnancy?
(a) Babies must be baptized while they are still in the womb.
(b) The baby will take on the traits of whatever picture a woman is looking at when the baby is conceived.
(c) Women must take folic acid to prevent birth defects.
(d) Birth defects in babies usually only occur when families intermarry.
4. How do Lefty's and Dr. Philobosian's paths cross?
(a) They meet and strike up a conversation at a bakery in Smyrna.
(b) They are both digging through garbage bins looking for food.
(c) The doctor offers Lefty money and medical treatment while he is in Smyrna.
(d) They are both are fleeing Turkey.
5. Which of the following is NOT a criterion in the real estate "Point System"?
(b) Ethnic origin.
(d) Marital status.
6. Why are realtors reluctant to sell Milton a home in Grosse Pointe?
(a) Because of his Greek background.
(b) Because they do not believe he can afford the mortgage.
(c) Because of his loud voice.
(d) Because of the way he dresses.
7. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
(a) It is the Prohibition and alcohol was extremely expensive in the U.S.
(b) It is the Prohibition. Distilling and selling liquor is illegal in the U.S.
(c) He doesn't want to have to pay high tariff fees by bringing the liquor over the border.
(d) The liquor that he imports is not available in the U.S.
8. What shocks Desdemona and Lefty about Sourmelina's husband, Jimmy Zismo?
(a) His occupation.
(b) His dark skin.
(c) His religious beliefs.
(d) His wealth.
9. What does Desdemona fear will happen to Lefty?
(a) He will marry a village girl and will leave Desdemona alone to care for the cocoonery.
(b) He will become a smoker and alcoholic.
(c) He will marry an unattractive Turkish woman.
(d) He will never marry and will die alone.
10. What does Desdemona do to help make the village girls more attractive to Lefty?
(a) She teaches them how to talk to a man in a seductive way.
(b) She encourages them to practice personal hygiene.
(c) She gives them sex lessons.
(d) She teaches them to look like the girls in a lingerie catalog hidden in her father's dresser.
11. Which of the following statements best describes Lefty?
(a) A cruel, abusive alcoholic.
(b) A jazz loving gangster.
(c) A traditional man in a modern town.
(d) A modern man in a traditional town.
12. What artistic medium does Julie Kikuchi work with?
13. What does Uncle Pete encourage Tessie and Milton to do to ensure their baby will be a girl?
(a) Use in-vitro fertilization.
(b) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours after she ovulates.
(c) Go to church and pray that they will have a baby girl.
(d) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours before she ovulates.
14. What is the "maze" that Jimmy tells Lefty women should be "shut up in"?
(d) House work.
15. What does Desdemona's mother say is critical for encourage silk worms to produce good silk?
(a) Soft music.
(b) Their caretaker's purity.
(c) A warm environment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Milton as he is about to go into war that Desdemona believes is an answer to her prayers?
2. Why do Lefty and Desdemona know that they can trust Sourmelina to keep the secret that they are siblings?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes the scenes of Milton in Navy training?
4. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
5. Who is Fard Muhammad?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)