|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Milton decide to take the Annapolis entrance exam?
(a) Because he believes that being accepted into Annapolis will make Tessie proud of him.
(b) Because he wants to be relocated closer to Tessie.
(c) Because he will be exempt from drills while taking the test.
(d) Because he has dreamed of becoming a Navy officer.
2. What does Calliope do when she she is baptized?
(a) She urinates on Father Mike.
(b) She stops crying.
(c) She begins crying when sprinkled with holy water.
(d) She becomes unable to breathe when immersed in the baptismal font.
3. How does Lefty manage to keep the men in the gaming room from stealing his winnings?
(a) He fights the men and wins.
(b) He loses them all in subsequent games.
(c) He hides them in his sock.
(d) He flees from the gaming room and hides.
4. What does Desdemona's mother say is critical for encourage silk worms to produce good silk?
(a) Their caretaker's purity.
(b) Soft music.
(c) A warm environment.
5. Which of the following adjectives best describes the scenes of Milton in Navy training?
6. What does Uncle Pete encourage Tessie and Milton to do to ensure their baby will be a girl?
(a) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours after she ovulates.
(b) Go to church and pray that they will have a baby girl.
(c) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours before she ovulates.
(d) Use in-vitro fertilization.
7. What commentary on beauty does Julie Kikuchi make in this chapter?
(a) True beauty comes from inside a person.
(b) Gender has no bearing on beauty.
(c) Beauty is only skin deep.
(d) Beauty is always freakish.
8. Why does Desdemona visit Dr. Philobosian in this chapter?
(a) To ask him to sterilize her so she will not be able to have more children.
(b) Because she has contracted an illness from the silk workers
(c) To determine whether or not she is pregnant
(d) To have a physical examination
9. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
(a) All of their neighbors are leaving and they do not want to be left alone in the village.
(b) The advancing Greek army.
(c) The advancing Turkish army.
(d) The strong desire to join their cousin in America.
10. Why does the narrator say that the riots were "the best thing that ever happened to us"?
(a) Fear of having their home and business destroyed during the riots brought the Stephanides family closer together.
(b) The riots made the Stephanides family develop a strong sense of pride in their Greek heritage.
(c) Because Lefty had three insurance policies on the Zebra Room, the family was paid a large sum of money when the business burned down.
(d) Because the Zebra Room was a failing business, it was a relief to the family to not have to worry about profits any more.
11. What is the only article of modern technology does the superstitious and traditional Desdemona embraces?
(a) The record player (hi-fi).
(b) The automobile.
(c) The television.
(d) The vacuum cleaner.
12. What reason does Lefty give Desdemona for his trip into town?
(a) To sell the silk cocoons at market.
(b) To court a woman he hopes to marry.
(c) To shop for groceries at the market.
(d) To visit a local bar and brothel.
13. What is ironic about the fact that Milton decides to join the Navy instead of the Army?
(a) Milton cannot swim.
(b) Milton his afraid of boats.
(c) Desdemona fears for Milton's life because he will be going into war.
(d) His father was a soldier in the Greek Army.
14. What religion do the members of Temple No. 1 practice?
(a) No religion. They are a business, not a church.
(b) Greek Orthodox Christianity.
15. What does Chapter Eleven do after the church service that shocks and frightens Tessie?
(a) He climbs up on a chair in the reception room.
(b) He spills hot coffee on a little girl.
(c) He brings a dead bird into to show Father Mike.
(d) He shouts obscenities in the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following actions is NOT part of Lefty and Desdemona's plan to convince themselves and others that they are young lovers rather than brother and sister?
2. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
3. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to when they arrive in the United States?
4. What happens to the Zebra Room in this chapter?
5. Who is Lefty and Desdemona's sponsor for entry into America?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)