|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Jimmy on Lefty's and his last trip out to the lake?
(a) The Packard breaks through the ice and sinks below the surface with Jimmy inside.
(b) He is caught by the police for bootlegging.
(c) Jimmy crashes the Packard into a telephone pole.
(d) He and Lefty fight and Jimmy is hurt.
2. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
(a) The Korean War begins.
(b) Her grandfather dies.
(c) Her grandfather has his first stroke.
(d) Callie's parents discover she has a rare genetic disorder.
3. Where does Tessie and her family wait out the riots?
(a) At the Zebra Room.
(b) In Desdemona and Lefty's room in their basement.
(c) In Desdemona and Lefty's room in their attic.
(d) At a neighbor's home.
4. What does Calliope do when she she is baptized?
(a) She begins crying when sprinkled with holy water.
(b) She becomes unable to breathe when immersed in the baptismal font.
(c) She urinates on Father Mike.
(d) She stops crying.
5. What does Chapter Eleven do after the church service that shocks and frightens Tessie?
(a) He shouts obscenities in the church.
(b) He spills hot coffee on a little girl.
(c) He climbs up on a chair in the reception room.
(d) He brings a dead bird into to show Father Mike.
6. Who is Fard Muhammad?
(a) Maurice Plantagenet.
(b) Jimmy Zismo.
(c) Dr. Philobosian.
(d) Elijah Poole.
7. Why does the silk Lefty sells in the market not earn much money?
(a) The merchants are poor and are unable to pay much for the silk.
(b) The silk is of poor quality and can only be used to make organzine.
(c) He brings the cocoons to market too late in the day.
(d) Desdemona does not give him enough cocoons to sell.
8. What does Desdemona do to help make the village girls more attractive to Lefty?
(a) She teaches them to look like the girls in a lingerie catalog hidden in her father's dresser.
(b) She encourages them to practice personal hygiene.
(c) She teaches them how to talk to a man in a seductive way.
(d) She gives them sex lessons.
9. What is the only article of modern technology does the superstitious and traditional Desdemona embraces?
(a) The television.
(b) The record player (hi-fi).
(c) The vacuum cleaner.
(d) The automobile.
10. Who does Desdemona over hear through the heating vents in the Silk Room of the Temple No. 1?
(a) W.D. Fard.
(b) Sister Wanda.
(c) The Prophet Muhammed.
(d) Betty Smith.
11. How does Lefty manage to keep the men in the gaming room from stealing his winnings?
(a) He fights the men and wins.
(b) He loses them all in subsequent games.
(c) He flees from the gaming room and hides.
(d) He hides them in his sock.
12. Why is Lefty fired from the Ford automobile company?
(a) He is living with a man who has a criminal record (Jimmy Zismo).
(b) He refuses to wear traditional Greek dress in the Ford English School pageant.
(c) He does not pass his English language exam.
(d) His work is sloppy and inaccurate.
13. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Milton's birth?
(a) Predict the sex of an unborn child using her silver spoon.
(b) Care for Sourmelina's baby, Theodora.
(c) Have another child.
(d) Tell anyone that she and Lefty are brother and sister.
14. What does Desdemona's mother say is critical for encourage silk worms to produce good silk?
(a) A warm environment.
(b) Their caretaker's purity.
(c) Soft music.
15. What concerns Milton about Lefty's business practices at the Zebra Room?
(a) Milton does not understand why Lefty is paying for three insurance policies on the building.
(b) Milton worries that the Zebra Room will be broken into because it is in a bad neighborhood.
(c) Milton believes it is immoral for Lefty to sell alcohol in the Zebra Room.
(d) Milton is concerned about Lefty's dealings with bootleggers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements best describes Uncle Pete?
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes the scenes of Milton in Navy training?
3. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
4. What industry is the Temple No. 1 involved in?
5. What happens to the Zebra Room in this chapter?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)