|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Desdemona promise St. Christopher she will do if Milton is spared injury in the war?
(a) She will donate a large portion of her earnings to the church.
(b) She will attend church on a daily basis.
(c) She will send Milton to Bithynios to repair the town's church.
(d) She will confess to her children that she and Lefty are brother and sister.
2. What is unique about Calliope's fifth chromosome?
(a) It produces an enzyme that prevents her from producing a certain hormone.
(b) It's structure causes her to have a birth defect.
(c) It impairs her brain development.
(d) It leads her to be a large baby.
3. What happens to Milton as he is about to go into war that Desdemona believes is an answer to her prayers?
(a) He receives word that Tessie has broken off her engagement to Mike.
(b) He receives word that he has been accepted to the US Naval Academy and is immediately transported off of the ship.
(c) He is discharged from the Navy and is able to return to Detroit to work in the Zebra Room.
(d) He is injured by a fellow seaman and spends the rest of the war safely in a US hospital.
4. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
(a) Silkworm cocoons.
(c) Silkworm eggs.
(d) A silver spoon.
5. Who is Mrs. Watson?
(a) A customer at the Zebra Room.
(b) Milton and Tessie's neighbor.
(c) Lefty's mistress.
(d) Sourmelina's lover.
6. Which of the following factors complicates Tessie's relationship with Father Mike?
(a) Tessie does not like Father Mike's wife, Zoe.
(b) Father Mike is embarrassed he was not promoted to the head priest position in the church.
(c) They were engaged to be married years ago.
(d) Father Mike is married to Milton's sister.
7. How does Lefty communicate with Calliope?
(a) By writing on his chalkboard.
(b) By speaking.
(c) Using sign language.
(d) By making faces.
8. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to in this chapter?
(b) Grosse Pointe.
(c) Milton and Tessie's home in Indian Village.
9. What condition must Desdemona meet to be hired by the Temple No. 1?
(a) She must pledge allegiance to their religious leader, Minister Fard.
(b) She must convince them that she had black ancestors.
(c) She must prove that she is capable of raising silk worms.
(d) She must demonstrate that she knows how to weave silk into fabric.
10. Why do Lefty and Desdemona know that they can trust Sourmelina to keep the secret that they are siblings?
(a) Lefty and Desdemona pay Sourmelina a fee for her silence.
(b) Lefty and Desdemona threaten Sourmelina.
(c) Sourmelina has her own secret: she is a lesbian.
(d) Sourmelina does not know that Lefty and Desdemona are siblings.
11. What does Dr. Philobosian have that he believes will protect him from the Turks?
(a) A successful medical practice.
(b) Money to bribe the Turkish soldiers.
(c) A letter certifying that he treated the Turkish military leader.
(d) A letter certifying that he treated the Greek military leader.
12. What is ironic about the fact that Milton decides to join the Navy instead of the Army?
(a) His father was a soldier in the Greek Army.
(b) Milton his afraid of boats.
(c) Desdemona fears for Milton's life because he will be going into war.
(d) Milton cannot swim.
13. Why does Desdemona visit Dr. Philobosian in this chapter?
(a) To have a physical examination
(b) To ask him to sterilize her so she will not be able to have more children.
(c) Because she has contracted an illness from the silk workers
(d) To determine whether or not she is pregnant
14. How is Lefty able to get he and Desdemona out of the burning city of Smyrna?
(a) He pretends they are French citizens in order to gain passage on a departing boat.
(b) He buys tickets on boat bound for Greece.
(c) He hitchikes from the city into the mountains.
(d) He asks Dr. Philobosian to allow them to hide in his home.
15. Who does Desdemona hope that Milton will marry?
(a) Tessie Zismo.
(b) Julie Kikuchi.
(c) Zoe Stephanides.
(d) Gaia Vasilakis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concerns Milton about Lefty's business practices at the Zebra Room?
2. Who is the narrator of the story?
3. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
4. What is the only article of modern technology does the superstitious and traditional Desdemona embraces?
5. Why does Milton decide to take the Annapolis entrance exam?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)