|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes conflict between Jimmy and Lefty?
(a) Jimmy believes that Lefty has stolen money from him.
(b) Jimmy drives the Packard too quickly over the lake and frightens Lefty.
(c) Lefty suspects Jimmy of cheating on Sourmelina.
(d) Jimmy suspects that Lefty is actually the father of Sourmelina's baby.
2. What does Uncle Pete encourage Tessie and Milton to do to ensure their baby will be a girl?
(a) Go to church and pray that they will have a baby girl.
(b) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours after she ovulates.
(c) Use in-vitro fertilization.
(d) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours before she ovulates.
3. What does Lefty resolve to do after his visit to the brothel?
(a) Marry a village girl and start a family.
(b) Leave Bithynios to immigrate to America.
(c) Attend the local Greek church more often.
(d) Tell Desdemona of his feelings for her.
4. What is the fate of the Silk Room at Temple No. 1 when Elijah Muhammed takes over as leader after Fard's arrest.?
(a) It is relocated to a new building.
(b) It is expanded.
(c) It closes.
(d) It is downsized.
5. What does the narrator say his purpose for telling this story?
(a) To convince the reader to accept him.
(b) To record the history of his genetic anomaly.
(c) To explain why he is the way he is.
(d) To share his family history.
6. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
(a) The advancing Turkish army.
(b) All of their neighbors are leaving and they do not want to be left alone in the village.
(c) The strong desire to join their cousin in America.
(d) The advancing Greek army.
7. What is unusual about Desdemona's presence on Hastings Street?
(a) Hastings Street is primarily a white neighborhood and Desdemona is black.
(b) Hastings Street is a long distance from her home on Hurlbut.
(c) Hastings Street is primarily a black neighborhood and Desdemona is white.
(d) Desdemona is dressed in traditional Greek clothing while everyone on Hastings Street is dressed in modern clothing.
8. What is Lefty's actual motivation for going into town?
(a) To sell the silk cocoons at market.
(b) To court a woman he hopes to marry.
(c) To visit a local bar and brothel.
(d) To shop for groceries at the market.
9. How is Lefty able to get he and Desdemona out of the burning city of Smyrna?
(a) He hitchikes from the city into the mountains.
(b) He buys tickets on boat bound for Greece.
(c) He asks Dr. Philobosian to allow them to hide in his home.
(d) He pretends they are French citizens in order to gain passage on a departing boat.
10. What happens to Milton as he is about to go into war that Desdemona believes is an answer to her prayers?
(a) He receives word that he has been accepted to the US Naval Academy and is immediately transported off of the ship.
(b) He is injured by a fellow seaman and spends the rest of the war safely in a US hospital.
(c) He receives word that Tessie has broken off her engagement to Mike.
(d) He is discharged from the Navy and is able to return to Detroit to work in the Zebra Room.
11. Who is Lefty and Desdemona's sponsor for entry into America?
(a) Captain Kontoulis.
(b) Their friend, Dr. Philobosian.
(c) Their cousin, Sourmelina.
(d) They do not need a sponsor to enter the U.S.
12. Where does Tessie and her family wait out the riots?
(a) At the Zebra Room.
(b) At a neighbor's home.
(c) In Desdemona and Lefty's room in their basement.
(d) In Desdemona and Lefty's room in their attic.
13. In "Opa!", why is Milton suddenly around the house more than at the diner?
(a) Milton has sold the Zebra Room to a new owner.
(b) Business is bad so Milton closes the restaurant several days a week.
(c) The bank has foreclosed on the diner.
(d) Milton wants to help care for his father, Lefty, after his stroke.
14. Which of the following statements best describes Uncle Pete?
(a) A self-made business man.
(b) A sweet natured priest.
(c) An intellectual chiropractor.
(d) A superstitious old man.
15. How do Lefty's and Dr. Philobosian's paths cross?
(a) The doctor offers Lefty money and medical treatment while he is in Smyrna.
(b) They are both are fleeing Turkey.
(c) They meet and strike up a conversation at a bakery in Smyrna.
(d) They are both digging through garbage bins looking for food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desdemona keep in the silkworm box to predict the sex of a baby?
2. What is the only article of modern technology does the superstitious and traditional Desdemona embraces?
3. Who does Desdemona hope that Tessie will marry?
4. To what religious faith does Stephanides family belong?
5. Why does Milton decide to enlist in the Navy?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)