|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unique about Calliope's fifth chromosome?
(a) It's structure causes her to have a birth defect.
(b) It produces an enzyme that prevents her from producing a certain hormone.
(c) It leads her to be a large baby.
(d) It impairs her brain development.
2. Who does Desdemona hope that Milton will marry?
(a) Tessie Zismo.
(b) Zoe Stephanides.
(c) Gaia Vasilakis.
(d) Julie Kikuchi.
3. How does Lefty communicate with Calliope?
(a) By speaking.
(b) Using sign language.
(c) By writing on his chalkboard.
(d) By making faces.
4. What happens to Milton as he is about to go into war that Desdemona believes is an answer to her prayers?
(a) He receives word that Tessie has broken off her engagement to Mike.
(b) He is injured by a fellow seaman and spends the rest of the war safely in a US hospital.
(c) He is discharged from the Navy and is able to return to Detroit to work in the Zebra Room.
(d) He receives word that he has been accepted to the US Naval Academy and is immediately transported off of the ship.
5. What happens to the Zebra Room's earnings?
(a) Lefty loses them by gambling instead of depositing them into the bank.
(b) Milton uses the money to expand the operation by opening a series of hot dog stands.
(c) The Zebra Room earns little money because it is located in a poor neighborhood.
(d) They are stolen when the Zebra Room is burglarized.
6. Why is Lefty fired from the Ford automobile company?
(a) His work is sloppy and inaccurate.
(b) He does not pass his English language exam.
(c) He refuses to wear traditional Greek dress in the Ford English School pageant.
(d) He is living with a man who has a criminal record (Jimmy Zismo).
7. What happens to the Zebra Room in this chapter?
(a) Lefty is forced to close the business because of Desdemona's disapproval.
(b) Lefty relocates and expands the business.
(c) Lefty is forced to close the business because it is no longer profitable.
(d) Lefty sells the Zebra Room to a new owner.
8. What industry is the Temple No. 1 involved in?
(a) Tool and dye manufacturing.
(c) Cigar rolling.
(d) Raising silkworms and weaving silk fabric.
9. What causes conflict between Jimmy and Lefty?
(a) Jimmy believes that Lefty has stolen money from him.
(b) Jimmy suspects that Lefty is actually the father of Sourmelina's baby.
(c) Jimmy drives the Packard too quickly over the lake and frightens Lefty.
(d) Lefty suspects Jimmy of cheating on Sourmelina.
10. What is the cause of Desdemona's heart palpitations?
(a) Unproductive silkworms.
(b) Grief over the deaths of her parents.
(c) A rare genetic disorder.
(d) Stress over the Greek occupation of Turkey.
11. Which of the following actions is NOT part of Lefty and Desdemona's plan to convince themselves and others that they are young lovers rather than brother and sister?
(a) They board the ship separately.
(b) They consummate their marriage in the life boat.
(c) They have chance meetings on the deck pretending to be getting to know each other for the first time.
(d) They discuss their family tree as if they are learning it for the first time.
12. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Calliope's birth?
(a) Speak to Tessie.
(b) Leave her ill husband alone.
(c) Attend church.
(d) Predict a child's sex.
13. What is the only article of modern technology does the superstitious and traditional Desdemona embraces?
(a) The television.
(b) The vacuum cleaner.
(c) The automobile.
(d) The record player (hi-fi).
14. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
(a) Silkworm cocoons.
(b) Silkworm eggs.
(c) A silver spoon.
15. What concerns Milton about Lefty's business practices at the Zebra Room?
(a) Milton believes it is immoral for Lefty to sell alcohol in the Zebra Room.
(b) Milton does not understand why Lefty is paying for three insurance policies on the building.
(c) Milton is concerned about Lefty's dealings with bootleggers.
(d) Milton worries that the Zebra Room will be broken into because it is in a bad neighborhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desdemona admire about the women of Temple No.1?
2. What condition must Desdemona meet to be hired by the Temple No. 1?
3. Which of the following is NOT a criterion in the real estate "Point System"?
4. What is the source of Dr. Philobosian's sadness?
5. How do Lefty's and Dr. Philobosian's paths cross?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)