|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about Desdemona's presence on Hastings Street?
(a) Hastings Street is primarily a black neighborhood and Desdemona is white.
(b) Hastings Street is primarily a white neighborhood and Desdemona is black.
(c) Hastings Street is a long distance from her home on Hurlbut.
(d) Desdemona is dressed in traditional Greek clothing while everyone on Hastings Street is dressed in modern clothing.
2. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
(a) The strong desire to join their cousin in America.
(b) The advancing Turkish army.
(c) All of their neighbors are leaving and they do not want to be left alone in the village.
(d) The advancing Greek army.
3. What happens to Milton as he is about to go into war that Desdemona believes is an answer to her prayers?
(a) He is injured by a fellow seaman and spends the rest of the war safely in a US hospital.
(b) He is discharged from the Navy and is able to return to Detroit to work in the Zebra Room.
(c) He receives word that he has been accepted to the US Naval Academy and is immediately transported off of the ship.
(d) He receives word that Tessie has broken off her engagement to Mike.
4. How does Milton seduce Tessie?
(a) By playing her favorite songs on her clarinet.
(b) By complimenting her baking skills.
(c) By joining the Navy.
(d) By playing his clarinet against her skin.
5. What is ironic about the fact that Milton decides to join the Navy instead of the Army?
(a) Milton cannot swim.
(b) Milton his afraid of boats.
(c) Desdemona fears for Milton's life because he will be going into war.
(d) His father was a soldier in the Greek Army.
6. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
(a) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy and it is a boy.
(b) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl and it is a girl.
(c) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy, but it is born a girl.
(d) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl, but it is born a boy.
7. How does Callie become a first hand witness to the burning of the diner?
(a) Tessie drives the family to the Zebra Room to help Milton.
(b) She rides her bike to the Zebra Room to help her father.
(c) Milton tells Callie the story of the fire when he arrives home from the diner.
(d) She sees news footage of the diner catching fire on t.v.
8. What is the source of Dr. Philobosian's sadness?
(a) The other passengers are cruel to Dr. Philobosian because he is Armenian.
(b) His family was killed by the Turks.
(c) He had to leave his family behind in Turkey.
(d) He has no where to go when he reaches America.
9. Why is Lefty fired from the Ford automobile company?
(a) He refuses to wear traditional Greek dress in the Ford English School pageant.
(b) He does not pass his English language exam.
(c) He is living with a man who has a criminal record (Jimmy Zismo).
(d) His work is sloppy and inaccurate.
10. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to when they arrive in the United States?
(a) New Smyrna.
(b) Grosse Pointe.
(c) New York City.
11. Why doesn't Milton want Calliope to talk to Marius Grimes?
(a) Because Milton believes Marius is homeless.
(b) Because of his race.
(c) Because he does not speak English.
(d) Because he uses vulgar language.
12. Who is Fard Muhammad?
(a) Maurice Plantagenet.
(b) Dr. Philobosian.
(c) Elijah Poole.
(d) Jimmy Zismo.
13. Which of the following factors complicates Tessie's relationship with Father Mike?
(a) Father Mike is embarrassed he was not promoted to the head priest position in the church.
(b) They were engaged to be married years ago.
(c) Father Mike is married to Milton's sister.
(d) Tessie does not like Father Mike's wife, Zoe.
14. What religion do the members of Temple No. 1 practice?
(b) Greek Orthodox Christianity.
(c) No religion. They are a business, not a church.
15. What is the first luxury Milton purchases with the insurance money?
(a) A Cadillac.
(b) The first Hercules Hot Dog stand.
(c) Plane tickets to Turkey.
(d) A new home in Grosse Pointe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What artistic medium does Julie Kikuchi work with?
2. What is the fate of the Silk Room at Temple No. 1 when Elijah Muhammed takes over as leader after Fard's arrest.?
3. Why are realtors reluctant to sell Milton a home in Grosse Pointe?
4. Which of the following is NOT a criterion in the real estate "Point System"?
5. Why do Lefty and Desdemona know that they can trust Sourmelina to keep the secret that they are siblings?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)