|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Philobosian have that he believes will protect him from the Turks?
(a) A letter certifying that he treated the Turkish military leader.
(b) Money to bribe the Turkish soldiers.
(c) A letter certifying that he treated the Greek military leader.
(d) A successful medical practice.
2. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
(a) All of their neighbors are leaving and they do not want to be left alone in the village.
(b) The advancing Greek army.
(c) The strong desire to join their cousin in America.
(d) The advancing Turkish army.
3. What reason does Lefty give Desdemona for his trip into town?
(a) To court a woman he hopes to marry.
(b) To sell the silk cocoons at market.
(c) To visit a local bar and brothel.
(d) To shop for groceries at the market.
4. What artistic medium does Julie Kikuchi work with?
5. Which of the following is NOT a criterion in the real estate "Point System"?
(a) Marital status.
(c) Ethnic origin.
6. What condition must Desdemona meet to be hired by the Temple No. 1?
(a) She must convince them that she had black ancestors.
(b) She must prove that she is capable of raising silk worms.
(c) She must pledge allegiance to their religious leader, Minister Fard.
(d) She must demonstrate that she knows how to weave silk into fabric.
7. What happens to Jimmy on Lefty's and his last trip out to the lake?
(a) The Packard breaks through the ice and sinks below the surface with Jimmy inside.
(b) Jimmy crashes the Packard into a telephone pole.
(c) He is caught by the police for bootlegging.
(d) He and Lefty fight and Jimmy is hurt.
8. What does the narrator say makes him/her "the most famous hermaphrodite in history"?
(a) S/he lived as a girl but had the body of a boy.
(b) S/he has the brain of a boy, but was raised as a girl.
(c) S/he went to the doctor to have a sex change operation.
(d) S/he was studied by Dr. Luce.
9. What does Lefty resolve to do after his visit to the brothel?
(a) Leave Bithynios to immigrate to America.
(b) Attend the local Greek church more often.
(c) Tell Desdemona of his feelings for her.
(d) Marry a village girl and start a family.
10. What does Mike Antoniou think of Tessie's daily trips to the movie theatre?
(a) He thinks that movies are immoral.
(b) He is glad that she has found something that she enjoys to fill her time while he is away.
(c) He believes that it is frivolous to attend movies while the war is going on.
(d) He is concerned that movie going will interfere with her volunteer duties.
11. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Milton's birth?
(a) Have another child.
(b) Care for Sourmelina's baby, Theodora.
(c) Predict the sex of an unborn child using her silver spoon.
(d) Tell anyone that she and Lefty are brother and sister.
12. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Calliope's birth?
(a) Leave her ill husband alone.
(b) Predict a child's sex.
(c) Attend church.
(d) Speak to Tessie.
13. What does Desdemona fear will happen to Lefty?
(a) He will become a smoker and alcoholic.
(b) He will marry an unattractive Turkish woman.
(c) He will never marry and will die alone.
(d) He will marry a village girl and will leave Desdemona alone to care for the cocoonery.
14. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
(a) It is the Prohibition. Distilling and selling liquor is illegal in the U.S.
(b) It is the Prohibition and alcohol was extremely expensive in the U.S.
(c) The liquor that he imports is not available in the U.S.
(d) He doesn't want to have to pay high tariff fees by bringing the liquor over the border.
15. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
(a) English phrases.
(b) Passages from the Greek Bible.
(c) A Bible passage about eunuchs.
(d) A Bible passage forbidding incest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the story?
2. What is the source of Dr. Philobosian's sadness?
3. Who is Lefty and Desdemona's sponsor for entry into America?
4. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to when they arrive in the United States?
5. To what religious faith does Stephanides family belong?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)