|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is significant about Callie's and Clementine's soak in the Middlesex hot tub?
(a) Lefty spies on the girls while they are in the hot tub.
(b) Callie discovers she is sexually attracted to girls.
(c) Callie injures Clementine.
(d) The girls discover their interest in water ballet.
2. Who does Desdemona hope that Tessie will marry?
(a) Milton Stephanides.
(b) Gus Vasilakis.
(c) Mike Antoniou.
(d) Dr. Philobosian.
3. What play do the two couples go to see the night that their babies are conceived?
(a) King Lear.
(c) The Minotaur.
4. What is the English translation of "ex ovo omnia"?
(a) Everything comes out of an egg.
(b) Everything is an egg.
(c) Everything exits an egg.
(d) Every child begins as an egg.
5. What reason does Lefty give Desdemona for his trip into town?
(a) To sell the silk cocoons at market.
(b) To shop for groceries at the market.
(c) To court a woman he hopes to marry.
(d) To visit a local bar and brothel.
6. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
(a) It is the Prohibition and alcohol was extremely expensive in the U.S.
(b) It is the Prohibition. Distilling and selling liquor is illegal in the U.S.
(c) The liquor that he imports is not available in the U.S.
(d) He doesn't want to have to pay high tariff fees by bringing the liquor over the border.
7. What does Desdemona fear will happen to Lefty?
(a) He will marry an unattractive Turkish woman.
(b) He will marry a village girl and will leave Desdemona alone to care for the cocoonery.
(c) He will never marry and will die alone.
(d) He will become a smoker and alcoholic.
8. Who is the narrator of the story?
9. Why does Jimmy Fioretos call to wake Milton early one morning?
(a) The Zebra Room has caught on fire.
(b) Race riots have begun in the city near the Zebra Room.
(c) The Zebra Room has been broken into.
(d) Jimmy wants Milton to help him protect his business.
10. Who does Desdemona hope that Milton will marry?
(a) Zoe Stephanides.
(b) Julie Kikuchi.
(c) Tessie Zismo.
(d) Gaia Vasilakis.
11. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to when they arrive in the United States?
(b) New Smyrna.
(c) New York City.
(d) Grosse Pointe.
12. What is the first luxury Milton purchases with the insurance money?
(a) The first Hercules Hot Dog stand.
(b) A Cadillac.
(c) A new home in Grosse Pointe.
(d) Plane tickets to Turkey.
13. What does Desdemona's mother say is critical for encourage silk worms to produce good silk?
(a) Their caretaker's purity.
(b) A warm environment.
(d) Soft music.
14. What helps narrator feel more masculine?
(a) A checked shirt.
(b) Using urinals in the men's bathroom.
(c) His full head of hair.
15. What is the source of Dr. Philobosian's sadness?
(a) The other passengers are cruel to Dr. Philobosian because he is Armenian.
(b) He has no where to go when he reaches America.
(c) He had to leave his family behind in Turkey.
(d) His family was killed by the Turks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Sourmelina's parents send her to America?
2. Who does Zoe end up marrying?
3. Why does Milton decide to take the Annapolis entrance exam?
4. To what religious faith does Stephanides family belong?
5. What does Mike Antoniou think of Tessie's daily trips to the movie theatre?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)