|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is ironic about the fact that Milton decides to join the Navy instead of the Army?
(a) Desdemona fears for Milton's life because he will be going into war.
(b) His father was a soldier in the Greek Army.
(c) Milton cannot swim.
(d) Milton his afraid of boats.
2. What happens to Jimmy on Lefty's and his last trip out to the lake?
(a) He and Lefty fight and Jimmy is hurt.
(b) Jimmy crashes the Packard into a telephone pole.
(c) He is caught by the police for bootlegging.
(d) The Packard breaks through the ice and sinks below the surface with Jimmy inside.
3. Who is Mrs. Watson?
(a) Sourmelina's lover.
(b) Milton and Tessie's neighbor.
(c) A customer at the Zebra Room.
(d) Lefty's mistress.
4. What does Desdemona do following Lefty's death?
(a) She climbs into her bed and does not leave it for ten years.
(b) She moves from the guest house into the main house at Middlesex.
(c) She wails and throws herself on his coffin.
(d) She moves to the Southwest with Sourmelina.
5. What does Mike Antoniou think of Tessie's daily trips to the movie theatre?
(a) He thinks that movies are immoral.
(b) He believes that it is frivolous to attend movies while the war is going on.
(c) He is glad that she has found something that she enjoys to fill her time while he is away.
(d) He is concerned that movie going will interfere with her volunteer duties.
6. What is unusual about Desdemona's presence on Hastings Street?
(a) Desdemona is dressed in traditional Greek clothing while everyone on Hastings Street is dressed in modern clothing.
(b) Hastings Street is primarily a white neighborhood and Desdemona is black.
(c) Hastings Street is primarily a black neighborhood and Desdemona is white.
(d) Hastings Street is a long distance from her home on Hurlbut.
7. Which of the following adjectives best describes the scenes of Milton in Navy training?
8. Why is Lefty fired from the Ford automobile company?
(a) He is living with a man who has a criminal record (Jimmy Zismo).
(b) He refuses to wear traditional Greek dress in the Ford English School pageant.
(c) He does not pass his English language exam.
(d) His work is sloppy and inaccurate.
9. Why did Sourmelina's parents send her to America?
(a) They could not find a man to marry her in Bithynios.
(b) She was caught in a scandalous affair with a woman.
(c) They wanted her to find fame and fortune in America.
(d) They could not afford to support an unmarried daughter.
10. What is unusual about Lefty and Desdemona's relationship?
(a) They are sexually attracted to each other even though they are brother and sister.
(b) They are pretending to be brother and sister, but are actually involved in a romantic relationship.
(c) They live alone in their family home after their parents die.
(d) They have very different interests. Lefty likes the modern, city life while Desdemona is more traditional.
11. What happens to the Zebra Room's earnings?
(a) The Zebra Room earns little money because it is located in a poor neighborhood.
(b) Milton uses the money to expand the operation by opening a series of hot dog stands.
(c) They are stolen when the Zebra Room is burglarized.
(d) Lefty loses them by gambling instead of depositing them into the bank.
12. Why does Jimmy Fioretos call to wake Milton early one morning?
(a) Race riots have begun in the city near the Zebra Room.
(b) Jimmy wants Milton to help him protect his business.
(c) The Zebra Room has caught on fire.
(d) The Zebra Room has been broken into.
13. What does Chapter Eleven do after the church service that shocks and frightens Tessie?
(a) He spills hot coffee on a little girl.
(b) He shouts obscenities in the church.
(c) He climbs up on a chair in the reception room.
(d) He brings a dead bird into to show Father Mike.
14. What happens to Milton as he is about to go into war that Desdemona believes is an answer to her prayers?
(a) He receives word that Tessie has broken off her engagement to Mike.
(b) He is discharged from the Navy and is able to return to Detroit to work in the Zebra Room.
(c) He receives word that he has been accepted to the US Naval Academy and is immediately transported off of the ship.
(d) He is injured by a fellow seaman and spends the rest of the war safely in a US hospital.
15. Which of the following statements best describes Uncle Pete?
(a) A superstitious old man.
(b) A self-made business man.
(c) An intellectual chiropractor.
(d) A sweet natured priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "maze" that Jimmy tells Lefty women should be "shut up in"?
2. What is the English translation of "ex ovo omnia"?
3. Why does Milton decide to take the Annapolis entrance exam?
4. What medical fact does Dr. Philobosian share with Desdemona that makes her worry about her pregnancy?
5. What concerns Milton about Lefty's business practices at the Zebra Room?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)