|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Fard Muhammad?
(a) Maurice Plantagenet.
(b) Dr. Philobosian.
(c) Jimmy Zismo.
(d) Elijah Poole.
2. Why doesn't Milton want Calliope to talk to Marius Grimes?
(a) Because Milton believes Marius is homeless.
(b) Because of his race.
(c) Because he uses vulgar language.
(d) Because he does not speak English.
3. Why do Lefty and Desdemona know that they can trust Sourmelina to keep the secret that they are siblings?
(a) Lefty and Desdemona pay Sourmelina a fee for her silence.
(b) Sourmelina has her own secret: she is a lesbian.
(c) Lefty and Desdemona threaten Sourmelina.
(d) Sourmelina does not know that Lefty and Desdemona are siblings.
4. What does Calliope do when she she is baptized?
(a) She becomes unable to breathe when immersed in the baptismal font.
(b) She begins crying when sprinkled with holy water.
(c) She urinates on Father Mike.
(d) She stops crying.
5. What does Callie witness late one night that foreshadows the violent turn that the riots will take?
(a) Milton loading a pistol with bullets.
(b) President Johnson announcing on t.v. that he is sending federal troops into Detroit.
(c) News footage of the number of deaths, injuries and fires caused during the riots.
(d) A tank rolling down the street.
6. Why does the silk Lefty sells in the market not earn much money?
(a) The silk is of poor quality and can only be used to make organzine.
(b) The merchants are poor and are unable to pay much for the silk.
(c) Desdemona does not give him enough cocoons to sell.
(d) He brings the cocoons to market too late in the day.
7. Which of the following factors complicates Tessie's relationship with Father Mike?
(a) Father Mike is embarrassed he was not promoted to the head priest position in the church.
(b) They were engaged to be married years ago.
(c) Tessie does not like Father Mike's wife, Zoe.
(d) Father Mike is married to Milton's sister.
8. Why does Jimmy Fioretos call to wake Milton early one morning?
(a) The Zebra Room has been broken into.
(b) Jimmy wants Milton to help him protect his business.
(c) The Zebra Room has caught on fire.
(d) Race riots have begun in the city near the Zebra Room.
9. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
(a) It is the Prohibition. Distilling and selling liquor is illegal in the U.S.
(b) He doesn't want to have to pay high tariff fees by bringing the liquor over the border.
(c) The liquor that he imports is not available in the U.S.
(d) It is the Prohibition and alcohol was extremely expensive in the U.S.
10. What does Lefty decide to do to earn money to support his family after Jimmy Zismo's death?
(a) Work at the Ford factory.
(b) Take over Jimmy's bootlegging business.
(c) Open a bar, the Zebra Room, in his basement.
(d) Sell Jimmy's zebra skin rug.
11. What play do the two couples go to see the night that their babies are conceived?
(c) The Minotaur.
(d) King Lear.
12. In the chapter "Tricknology", what does Lefty do to help supplement his income?
(a) He solicits women to pose for pornographic photos taken by his friend Maurice.
(b) He serves as a driver for his friend Maurice during the day.
(c) He rents a room in the family's home to a customer from the Zebra Room.
(d) He extends the operating hours of the Zebra Room.
13. What is ironic about the fact that Milton decides to join the Navy instead of the Army?
(a) Milton his afraid of boats.
(b) His father was a soldier in the Greek Army.
(c) Desdemona fears for Milton's life because he will be going into war.
(d) Milton cannot swim.
14. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
(a) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy, but it is born a girl.
(b) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl and it is a girl.
(c) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl, but it is born a boy.
(d) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy and it is a boy.
15. What is the cause of Desdemona's heart palpitations?
(a) Grief over the deaths of her parents.
(b) Unproductive silkworms.
(c) Stress over the Greek occupation of Turkey.
(d) A rare genetic disorder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mistake does Dr. Philobosian make when the narrator is born?
2. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to in this chapter?
3. What causes conflict between Jimmy and Lefty?
4. Why does the narrator say that the riots were "the best thing that ever happened to us"?
5. What does Lefty do while working on the assembly line at Ford that angers some of the other workers?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)