|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What condition must Desdemona meet to be hired by the Temple No. 1?
(a) She must convince them that she had black ancestors.
(b) She must pledge allegiance to their religious leader, Minister Fard.
(c) She must prove that she is capable of raising silk worms.
(d) She must demonstrate that she knows how to weave silk into fabric.
2. What does Dr. Philobosian have that he believes will protect him from the Turks?
(a) A letter certifying that he treated the Turkish military leader.
(b) Money to bribe the Turkish soldiers.
(c) A successful medical practice.
(d) A letter certifying that he treated the Greek military leader.
3. Which of the following statements best describes Uncle Pete?
(a) A self-made business man.
(b) A sweet natured priest.
(c) A superstitious old man.
(d) An intellectual chiropractor.
4. Which of the following actions is NOT part of Lefty and Desdemona's plan to convince themselves and others that they are young lovers rather than brother and sister?
(a) They consummate their marriage in the life boat.
(b) They have chance meetings on the deck pretending to be getting to know each other for the first time.
(c) They board the ship separately.
(d) They discuss their family tree as if they are learning it for the first time.
5. What is the only article of modern technology does the superstitious and traditional Desdemona embraces?
(a) The record player (hi-fi).
(b) The vacuum cleaner.
(c) The television.
(d) The automobile.
6. In "Opa!", why is Milton suddenly around the house more than at the diner?
(a) Business is bad so Milton closes the restaurant several days a week.
(b) Milton wants to help care for his father, Lefty, after his stroke.
(c) Milton has sold the Zebra Room to a new owner.
(d) The bank has foreclosed on the diner.
7. What does Mike Antoniou think of Tessie's daily trips to the movie theatre?
(a) He is concerned that movie going will interfere with her volunteer duties.
(b) He is glad that she has found something that she enjoys to fill her time while he is away.
(c) He thinks that movies are immoral.
(d) He believes that it is frivolous to attend movies while the war is going on.
8. What is ironic about the fact that Milton decides to join the Navy instead of the Army?
(a) Milton his afraid of boats.
(b) Milton cannot swim.
(c) His father was a soldier in the Greek Army.
(d) Desdemona fears for Milton's life because he will be going into war.
9. What helps narrator feel more masculine?
(a) A checked shirt.
(b) His full head of hair.
(c) Using urinals in the men's bathroom.
10. Why does Milton decide to take the Annapolis entrance exam?
(a) Because he has dreamed of becoming a Navy officer.
(b) Because he will be exempt from drills while taking the test.
(c) Because he believes that being accepted into Annapolis will make Tessie proud of him.
(d) Because he wants to be relocated closer to Tessie.
11. How do Lefty's and Dr. Philobosian's paths cross?
(a) They are both are fleeing Turkey.
(b) They are both digging through garbage bins looking for food.
(c) They meet and strike up a conversation at a bakery in Smyrna.
(d) The doctor offers Lefty money and medical treatment while he is in Smyrna.
12. To what religious faith does Stephanides family belong?
(a) The Church of Islam.
(b) The Roman Catholic Church.
(c) The Presbyterian Church.
(d) Greek Orthodox Church.
13. What reason does Lefty give Desdemona for his trip into town?
(a) To court a woman he hopes to marry.
(b) To visit a local bar and brothel.
(c) To sell the silk cocoons at market.
(d) To shop for groceries at the market.
14. Which of the following is NOT a criterion in the real estate "Point System"?
(b) Marital status.
(c) Ethnic origin.
15. Who is Fard Muhammad?
(a) Maurice Plantagenet.
(b) Jimmy Zismo.
(c) Elijah Poole.
(d) Dr. Philobosian.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lefty fired from the Ford automobile company?
2. What is the source of Dr. Philobosian's sadness?
3. What does Desdemona fear will happen to Lefty?
4. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Calliope's birth?
5. What shocks Desdemona and Lefty about Sourmelina's husband, Jimmy Zismo?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)