|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shocks Desdemona and Lefty about Sourmelina's husband, Jimmy Zismo?
(a) His occupation.
(b) His dark skin.
(c) His religious beliefs.
(d) His wealth.
2. What concerns Milton about Lefty's business practices at the Zebra Room?
(a) Milton does not understand why Lefty is paying for three insurance policies on the building.
(b) Milton is concerned about Lefty's dealings with bootleggers.
(c) Milton believes it is immoral for Lefty to sell alcohol in the Zebra Room.
(d) Milton worries that the Zebra Room will be broken into because it is in a bad neighborhood.
3. What happens to the Zebra Room's earnings?
(a) Milton uses the money to expand the operation by opening a series of hot dog stands.
(b) They are stolen when the Zebra Room is burglarized.
(c) The Zebra Room earns little money because it is located in a poor neighborhood.
(d) Lefty loses them by gambling instead of depositing them into the bank.
4. What does the narrator say makes him/her "the most famous hermaphrodite in history"?
(a) S/he has the brain of a boy, but was raised as a girl.
(b) S/he was studied by Dr. Luce.
(c) S/he lived as a girl but had the body of a boy.
(d) S/he went to the doctor to have a sex change operation.
5. Who is Mrs. Watson?
(a) A customer at the Zebra Room.
(b) Milton and Tessie's neighbor.
(c) Sourmelina's lover.
(d) Lefty's mistress.
6. Which of the following factors complicates Tessie's relationship with Father Mike?
(a) Tessie does not like Father Mike's wife, Zoe.
(b) They were engaged to be married years ago.
(c) Father Mike is married to Milton's sister.
(d) Father Mike is embarrassed he was not promoted to the head priest position in the church.
7. What does Lefty resolve to do after his visit to the brothel?
(a) Marry a village girl and start a family.
(b) Tell Desdemona of his feelings for her.
(c) Attend the local Greek church more often.
(d) Leave Bithynios to immigrate to America.
8. What helps narrator feel more masculine?
(a) Using urinals in the men's bathroom.
(b) A checked shirt.
(c) His full head of hair.
9. Who does Desdemona hope that Milton will marry?
(a) Gaia Vasilakis.
(b) Zoe Stephanides.
(c) Tessie Zismo.
(d) Julie Kikuchi.
10. How does Callie become a first hand witness to the burning of the diner?
(a) Tessie drives the family to the Zebra Room to help Milton.
(b) Milton tells Callie the story of the fire when he arrives home from the diner.
(c) She rides her bike to the Zebra Room to help her father.
(d) She sees news footage of the diner catching fire on t.v.
11. Which of the following is NOT a criterion in the real estate "Point System"?
(b) Marital status.
(d) Ethnic origin.
12. Why did Sourmelina's parents send her to America?
(a) They could not afford to support an unmarried daughter.
(b) They wanted her to find fame and fortune in America.
(c) They could not find a man to marry her in Bithynios.
(d) She was caught in a scandalous affair with a woman.
13. Why does Desdemona visit Dr. Philobosian in this chapter?
(a) To ask him to sterilize her so she will not be able to have more children.
(b) To have a physical examination
(c) Because she has contracted an illness from the silk workers
(d) To determine whether or not she is pregnant
14. What does Mike Antoniou think of Tessie's daily trips to the movie theatre?
(a) He thinks that movies are immoral.
(b) He believes that it is frivolous to attend movies while the war is going on.
(c) He is concerned that movie going will interfere with her volunteer duties.
(d) He is glad that she has found something that she enjoys to fill her time while he is away.
15. What does Chapter Eleven do after the church service that shocks and frightens Tessie?
(a) He brings a dead bird into to show Father Mike.
(b) He climbs up on a chair in the reception room.
(c) He shouts obscenities in the church.
(d) He spills hot coffee on a little girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Opa!", why is Milton suddenly around the house more than at the diner?
2. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to when they arrive in the United States?
3. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
4. What is ironic about the fact that Milton decides to join the Navy instead of the Army?
5. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Calliope's birth?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)