|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Home Movies.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "maze" that Jimmy tells Lefty women should be "shut up in"?
(a) House work.
2. What happens to the Zebra Room's earnings?
(a) The Zebra Room earns little money because it is located in a poor neighborhood.
(b) Milton uses the money to expand the operation by opening a series of hot dog stands.
(c) They are stolen when the Zebra Room is burglarized.
(d) Lefty loses them by gambling instead of depositing them into the bank.
3. What does Desdemona promise St. Christopher she will do if Milton is spared injury in the war?
(a) She will confess to her children that she and Lefty are brother and sister.
(b) She will send Milton to Bithynios to repair the town's church.
(c) She will attend church on a daily basis.
(d) She will donate a large portion of her earnings to the church.
4. What is the source of Dr. Philobosian's sadness?
(a) The other passengers are cruel to Dr. Philobosian because he is Armenian.
(b) His family was killed by the Turks.
(c) He has no where to go when he reaches America.
(d) He had to leave his family behind in Turkey.
5. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
(a) A Bible passage about eunuchs.
(b) English phrases.
(c) Passages from the Greek Bible.
(d) A Bible passage forbidding incest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Milton decide to enlist in the Navy?
2. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
3. Which of the following actions is NOT part of Lefty and Desdemona's plan to convince themselves and others that they are young lovers rather than brother and sister?
4. Who is the narrator of the story?
5. What does Desdemona do to help make the village girls more attractive to Lefty?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)