|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Home Movies.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the English translation of "ex ovo omnia"?
(a) Every child begins as an egg.
(b) Everything is an egg.
(c) Everything exits an egg.
(d) Everything comes out of an egg.
2. Why does Desdemona visit Dr. Philobosian in this chapter?
(a) Because she has contracted an illness from the silk workers
(b) To have a physical examination
(c) To ask him to sterilize her so she will not be able to have more children.
(d) To determine whether or not she is pregnant
3. What is Lefty's actual motivation for going into town?
(a) To shop for groceries at the market.
(b) To court a woman he hopes to marry.
(c) To visit a local bar and brothel.
(d) To sell the silk cocoons at market.
4. What is the only article of modern technology does the superstitious and traditional Desdemona embraces?
(a) The automobile.
(b) The television.
(c) The vacuum cleaner.
(d) The record player (hi-fi).
5. What is unique about Calliope's fifth chromosome?
(a) It leads her to be a large baby.
(b) It impairs her brain development.
(c) It's structure causes her to have a birth defect.
(d) It produces an enzyme that prevents her from producing a certain hormone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is located in Desdemona's hope chest that she fears she will never use?
2. What medical fact does Dr. Philobosian share with Desdemona that makes her worry about her pregnancy?
3. What does Desdemona's mother say is critical for encourage silk worms to produce good silk?
4. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to when they arrive in the United States?
5. Why do Lefty and Desdemona know that they can trust Sourmelina to keep the secret that they are siblings?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)