|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Home Movies.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Lefty give Desdemona for his trip into town?
(a) To visit a local bar and brothel.
(b) To shop for groceries at the market.
(c) To sell the silk cocoons at market.
(d) To court a woman he hopes to marry.
2. Why does Milton decide to enlist in the Navy?
(a) He is heartbroken when Tessie becomes engaged to Mike Antoniou.
(b) He wants to prove to Tessie that he is a strong, brave man.
(c) He is fiercely patriotic and wants to fight to protect America.
(d) He wants to escape taking over the Zebra Room as a career.
3. Why did Sourmelina's parents send her to America?
(a) She was caught in a scandalous affair with a woman.
(b) They wanted her to find fame and fortune in America.
(c) They could not find a man to marry her in Bithynios.
(d) They could not afford to support an unmarried daughter.
4. What is the cause of Desdemona's heart palpitations?
(a) Stress over the Greek occupation of Turkey.
(b) A rare genetic disorder.
(c) Unproductive silkworms.
(d) Grief over the deaths of her parents.
5. Why does Desdemona visit Dr. Philobosian in this chapter?
(a) To determine whether or not she is pregnant
(b) To ask him to sterilize her so she will not be able to have more children.
(c) Because she has contracted an illness from the silk workers
(d) To have a physical examination
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Lefty and Desdemona know that they can trust Sourmelina to keep the secret that they are siblings?
2. What does Chapter Eleven do after the church service that shocks and frightens Tessie?
3. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Calliope's birth?
4. What is unique about Calliope's fifth chromosome?
5. What concerns Milton about Lefty's business practices at the Zebra Room?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)