|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Home Movies.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about Desdemona's presence on Hastings Street?
(a) Hastings Street is primarily a white neighborhood and Desdemona is black.
(b) Hastings Street is a long distance from her home on Hurlbut.
(c) Hastings Street is primarily a black neighborhood and Desdemona is white.
(d) Desdemona is dressed in traditional Greek clothing while everyone on Hastings Street is dressed in modern clothing.
2. What does Lefty do while working on the assembly line at Ford that angers some of the other workers?
(a) He eats only traditional Greek foods for lunch.
(b) He brags about his well-to-do brother in law.
(c) He takes English classes at the Ford language school.
(d) He speeds up his work which forces the other workers to have to work more quickly.
3. Why does Desdemona visit Dr. Philobosian in this chapter?
(a) To ask him to sterilize her so she will not be able to have more children.
(b) To have a physical examination
(c) Because she has contracted an illness from the silk workers
(d) To determine whether or not she is pregnant
4. What causes conflict between Jimmy and Lefty?
(a) Jimmy drives the Packard too quickly over the lake and frightens Lefty.
(b) Jimmy suspects that Lefty is actually the father of Sourmelina's baby.
(c) Lefty suspects Jimmy of cheating on Sourmelina.
(d) Jimmy believes that Lefty has stolen money from him.
5. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
(a) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy and it is a boy.
(b) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy, but it is born a girl.
(c) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl and it is a girl.
(d) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl, but it is born a boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lefty and Desdemona's sponsor for entry into America?
2. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
3. What does Desdemona fear will happen to Lefty?
4. What play do the two couples go to see the night that their babies are conceived?
5. What reason does Lefty give Desdemona for his trip into town?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)