|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, News of the World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What industry is the Temple No. 1 involved in?
(a) Raising silkworms and weaving silk fabric.
(b) Tool and dye manufacturing.
(c) Cigar rolling.
2. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
(a) The liquor that he imports is not available in the U.S.
(b) He doesn't want to have to pay high tariff fees by bringing the liquor over the border.
(c) It is the Prohibition. Distilling and selling liquor is illegal in the U.S.
(d) It is the Prohibition and alcohol was extremely expensive in the U.S.
3. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Milton's birth?
(a) Have another child.
(b) Tell anyone that she and Lefty are brother and sister.
(c) Predict the sex of an unborn child using her silver spoon.
(d) Care for Sourmelina's baby, Theodora.
4. What does Lefty resolve to do after his visit to the brothel?
(a) Tell Desdemona of his feelings for her.
(b) Leave Bithynios to immigrate to America.
(c) Attend the local Greek church more often.
(d) Marry a village girl and start a family.
5. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to when they arrive in the United States?
(a) New York City.
(c) Grosse Pointe.
(d) New Smyrna.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the source of Dr. Philobosian's sadness?
2. What is unusual about Lefty and Desdemona's relationship?
3. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
4. How do Lefty's and Dr. Philobosian's paths cross?
5. What is unusual about Desdemona's presence on Hastings Street?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)