|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, News of the World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lefty decide to do to earn money to support his family after Jimmy Zismo's death?
(a) Work at the Ford factory.
(b) Take over Jimmy's bootlegging business.
(c) Sell Jimmy's zebra skin rug.
(d) Open a bar, the Zebra Room, in his basement.
2. Which of the following actions is NOT part of Lefty and Desdemona's plan to convince themselves and others that they are young lovers rather than brother and sister?
(a) They have chance meetings on the deck pretending to be getting to know each other for the first time.
(b) They board the ship separately.
(c) They discuss their family tree as if they are learning it for the first time.
(d) They consummate their marriage in the life boat.
3. What reason does Lefty give Desdemona for his trip into town?
(a) To visit a local bar and brothel.
(b) To shop for groceries at the market.
(c) To sell the silk cocoons at market.
(d) To court a woman he hopes to marry.
4. What is located in Desdemona's hope chest that she fears she will never use?
(a) A baby blanket.
(b) A corset.
(c) An olive wood silkworm box.
(d) A wedding dress.
5. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
(a) Callie's parents discover she has a rare genetic disorder.
(b) The Korean War begins.
(c) Her grandfather has his first stroke.
(d) Her grandfather dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the story?
2. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to when they arrive in the United States?
3. Why do Lefty and Desdemona know that they can trust Sourmelina to keep the secret that they are siblings?
4. Why does Desdemona visit Dr. Philobosian in this chapter?
5. What does the narrator say makes him/her "the most famous hermaphrodite in history"?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)