|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, News of the World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
(a) Silkworm cocoons.
(b) Silkworm eggs.
(d) A silver spoon.
2. What is unusual about Desdemona's presence on Hastings Street?
(a) Desdemona is dressed in traditional Greek clothing while everyone on Hastings Street is dressed in modern clothing.
(b) Hastings Street is primarily a white neighborhood and Desdemona is black.
(c) Hastings Street is a long distance from her home on Hurlbut.
(d) Hastings Street is primarily a black neighborhood and Desdemona is white.
3. What religion do the members of Temple No. 1 practice?
(b) No religion. They are a business, not a church.
(c) Greek Orthodox Christianity.
4. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to when they arrive in the United States?
(a) New Smyrna.
(b) New York City.
(c) Grosse Pointe.
5. What is unique about Calliope's fifth chromosome?
(a) It leads her to be a large baby.
(b) It's structure causes her to have a birth defect.
(c) It produces an enzyme that prevents her from producing a certain hormone.
(d) It impairs her brain development.
Short Answer Questions
1. What artistic medium does Julie Kikuchi work with?
2. Who is Fard Muhammad?
3. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
4. Why does Milton decide to enlist in the Navy?
5. What is ironic about the fact that Milton decides to join the Navy instead of the Army?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)