|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, News of the World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements best describes Lefty?
(a) A traditional man in a modern town.
(b) A cruel, abusive alcoholic.
(c) A modern man in a traditional town.
(d) A jazz loving gangster.
2. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
(a) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy, but it is born a girl.
(b) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl, but it is born a boy.
(c) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl and it is a girl.
(d) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy and it is a boy.
3. Why do Lefty and Desdemona know that they can trust Sourmelina to keep the secret that they are siblings?
(a) Sourmelina has her own secret: she is a lesbian.
(b) Lefty and Desdemona pay Sourmelina a fee for her silence.
(c) Lefty and Desdemona threaten Sourmelina.
(d) Sourmelina does not know that Lefty and Desdemona are siblings.
4. What is located in Desdemona's hope chest that she fears she will never use?
(a) A wedding dress.
(b) A corset.
(c) A baby blanket.
(d) An olive wood silkworm box.
5. What does Desdemona admire about the women of Temple No.1?
(a) Their religious devotion.
(b) Their modesty.
(c) Their ability to create beautiful silk fabric.
(d) Their work ethic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following factors complicates Tessie's relationship with Father Mike?
2. Who does Desdemona hope that Tessie will marry?
3. What does Dr. Philobosian have that he believes will protect him from the Turks?
4. What is Lefty's actual motivation for going into town?
5. What does Lefty decide to do to earn money to support his family after Jimmy Zismo's death?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)