|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, News of the World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is ironic about the fact that Milton decides to join the Navy instead of the Army?
(a) Desdemona fears for Milton's life because he will be going into war.
(b) Milton cannot swim.
(c) Milton his afraid of boats.
(d) His father was a soldier in the Greek Army.
2. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
(a) The liquor that he imports is not available in the U.S.
(b) He doesn't want to have to pay high tariff fees by bringing the liquor over the border.
(c) It is the Prohibition. Distilling and selling liquor is illegal in the U.S.
(d) It is the Prohibition and alcohol was extremely expensive in the U.S.
3. What is unusual about Lefty and Desdemona's relationship?
(a) They live alone in their family home after their parents die.
(b) They have very different interests. Lefty likes the modern, city life while Desdemona is more traditional.
(c) They are pretending to be brother and sister, but are actually involved in a romantic relationship.
(d) They are sexually attracted to each other even though they are brother and sister.
4. What shocks Desdemona and Lefty about Sourmelina's husband, Jimmy Zismo?
(a) His dark skin.
(b) His wealth.
(c) His religious beliefs.
(d) His occupation.
5. What does Desdemona fear will happen to Lefty?
(a) He will marry an unattractive Turkish woman.
(b) He will become a smoker and alcoholic.
(c) He will marry a village girl and will leave Desdemona alone to care for the cocoonery.
(d) He will never marry and will die alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is located in Desdemona's hope chest that she fears she will never use?
2. What condition must Desdemona meet to be hired by the Temple No. 1?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes the scenes of Milton in Navy training?
4. What is the "maze" that Jimmy tells Lefty women should be "shut up in"?
5. What play do the two couples go to see the night that their babies are conceived?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)