|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, News of the World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Lefty fired from the Ford automobile company?
(a) He is living with a man who has a criminal record (Jimmy Zismo).
(b) He does not pass his English language exam.
(c) He refuses to wear traditional Greek dress in the Ford English School pageant.
(d) His work is sloppy and inaccurate.
2. What is located in Desdemona's hope chest that she fears she will never use?
(a) An olive wood silkworm box.
(b) A corset.
(c) A wedding dress.
(d) A baby blanket.
3. What is unusual about Desdemona's presence on Hastings Street?
(a) Desdemona is dressed in traditional Greek clothing while everyone on Hastings Street is dressed in modern clothing.
(b) Hastings Street is a long distance from her home on Hurlbut.
(c) Hastings Street is primarily a white neighborhood and Desdemona is black.
(d) Hastings Street is primarily a black neighborhood and Desdemona is white.
4. What religion do the members of Temple No. 1 practice?
(b) Greek Orthodox Christianity.
(d) No religion. They are a business, not a church.
5. What does Uncle Pete encourage Tessie and Milton to do to ensure their baby will be a girl?
(a) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours before she ovulates.
(b) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours after she ovulates.
(c) Use in-vitro fertilization.
(d) Go to church and pray that they will have a baby girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lefty manage to keep the men in the gaming room from stealing his winnings?
2. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
3. What does the narrator say makes him/her "the most famous hermaphrodite in history"?
4. What industry is the Temple No. 1 involved in?
5. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Milton's birth?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)