|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, News of the World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What play do the two couples go to see the night that their babies are conceived?
(b) The Minotaur.
(c) King Lear.
2. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
(a) Silkworm eggs.
(b) Silkworm cocoons.
(c) A silver spoon.
3. What does the narrator say makes him/her "the most famous hermaphrodite in history"?
(a) S/he has the brain of a boy, but was raised as a girl.
(b) S/he went to the doctor to have a sex change operation.
(c) S/he was studied by Dr. Luce.
(d) S/he lived as a girl but had the body of a boy.
4. Which of the following adjectives best describes the scenes of Milton in Navy training?
5. What happens to Milton as he is about to go into war that Desdemona believes is an answer to her prayers?
(a) He receives word that Tessie has broken off her engagement to Mike.
(b) He is discharged from the Navy and is able to return to Detroit to work in the Zebra Room.
(c) He receives word that he has been accepted to the US Naval Academy and is immediately transported off of the ship.
(d) He is injured by a fellow seaman and spends the rest of the war safely in a US hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desdemona do to help make the village girls more attractive to Lefty?
2. Why does the silk Lefty sells in the market not earn much money?
3. To what religious faith does Stephanides family belong?
4. What does the narrator say his purpose for telling this story?
5. Why did Sourmelina's parents send her to America?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)