|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, News of the World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
(a) English phrases.
(b) A Bible passage about eunuchs.
(c) Passages from the Greek Bible.
(d) A Bible passage forbidding incest.
2. What condition must Desdemona meet to be hired by the Temple No. 1?
(a) She must demonstrate that she knows how to weave silk into fabric.
(b) She must convince them that she had black ancestors.
(c) She must prove that she is capable of raising silk worms.
(d) She must pledge allegiance to their religious leader, Minister Fard.
3. Which of the following factors complicates Tessie's relationship with Father Mike?
(a) Father Mike is married to Milton's sister.
(b) Father Mike is embarrassed he was not promoted to the head priest position in the church.
(c) Tessie does not like Father Mike's wife, Zoe.
(d) They were engaged to be married years ago.
4. To what religious faith does Stephanides family belong?
(a) The Roman Catholic Church.
(b) The Presbyterian Church.
(c) Greek Orthodox Church.
(d) The Church of Islam.
5. What is ironic about the fact that Milton decides to join the Navy instead of the Army?
(a) Milton cannot swim.
(b) His father was a soldier in the Greek Army.
(c) Desdemona fears for Milton's life because he will be going into war.
(d) Milton his afraid of boats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chapter Eleven do after the church service that shocks and frightens Tessie?
2. What industry is the Temple No. 1 involved in?
3. What does Lefty decide to do to earn money to support his family after Jimmy Zismo's death?
4. What is unusual about Desdemona's presence on Hastings Street?
5. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)