|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, News of the World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What medical fact does Dr. Philobosian share with Desdemona that makes her worry about her pregnancy?
(a) Babies must be baptized while they are still in the womb.
(b) Women must take folic acid to prevent birth defects.
(c) The baby will take on the traits of whatever picture a woman is looking at when the baby is conceived.
(d) Birth defects in babies usually only occur when families intermarry.
2. What condition must Desdemona meet to be hired by the Temple No. 1?
(a) She must pledge allegiance to their religious leader, Minister Fard.
(b) She must convince them that she had black ancestors.
(c) She must prove that she is capable of raising silk worms.
(d) She must demonstrate that she knows how to weave silk into fabric.
3. What reason does Lefty give Desdemona for his trip into town?
(a) To sell the silk cocoons at market.
(b) To court a woman he hopes to marry.
(c) To shop for groceries at the market.
(d) To visit a local bar and brothel.
4. What causes conflict between Jimmy and Lefty?
(a) Jimmy believes that Lefty has stolen money from him.
(b) Jimmy drives the Packard too quickly over the lake and frightens Lefty.
(c) Lefty suspects Jimmy of cheating on Sourmelina.
(d) Jimmy suspects that Lefty is actually the father of Sourmelina's baby.
5. What happens to the Zebra Room in this chapter?
(a) Lefty sells the Zebra Room to a new owner.
(b) Lefty relocates and expands the business.
(c) Lefty is forced to close the business because it is no longer profitable.
(d) Lefty is forced to close the business because of Desdemona's disapproval.
Short Answer Questions
1. What industry is the Temple No. 1 involved in?
2. How does Lefty manage to keep the men in the gaming room from stealing his winnings?
3. What is unusual about Desdemona's presence on Hastings Street?
4. Why did Sourmelina's parents send her to America?
5. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)