|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, News of the World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say makes him/her "the most famous hermaphrodite in history"?
(a) S/he went to the doctor to have a sex change operation.
(b) S/he lived as a girl but had the body of a boy.
(c) S/he was studied by Dr. Luce.
(d) S/he has the brain of a boy, but was raised as a girl.
2. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
(a) English phrases.
(b) Passages from the Greek Bible.
(c) A Bible passage about eunuchs.
(d) A Bible passage forbidding incest.
3. What is Lefty's actual motivation for going into town?
(a) To shop for groceries at the market.
(b) To sell the silk cocoons at market.
(c) To court a woman he hopes to marry.
(d) To visit a local bar and brothel.
4. What does Lefty decide to do to earn money to support his family after Jimmy Zismo's death?
(a) Take over Jimmy's bootlegging business.
(b) Work at the Ford factory.
(c) Sell Jimmy's zebra skin rug.
(d) Open a bar, the Zebra Room, in his basement.
5. What does Dr. Philobosian have that he believes will protect him from the Turks?
(a) A letter certifying that he treated the Greek military leader.
(b) A successful medical practice.
(c) Money to bribe the Turkish soldiers.
(d) A letter certifying that he treated the Turkish military leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who marries Lefty and Desdemona on the boat?
2. How does Lefty manage to keep the men in the gaming room from stealing his winnings?
3. Why do Lefty and Desdemona know that they can trust Sourmelina to keep the secret that they are siblings?
4. What is the fate of the Silk Room at Temple No. 1 when Elijah Muhammed takes over as leader after Fard's arrest.?
5. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Milton's birth?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)