|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, News of the World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Milton decide to enlist in the Navy?
(a) He wants to escape taking over the Zebra Room as a career.
(b) He is heartbroken when Tessie becomes engaged to Mike Antoniou.
(c) He wants to prove to Tessie that he is a strong, brave man.
(d) He is fiercely patriotic and wants to fight to protect America.
2. What is ironic about the fact that Milton decides to join the Navy instead of the Army?
(a) His father was a soldier in the Greek Army.
(b) Milton his afraid of boats.
(c) Desdemona fears for Milton's life because he will be going into war.
(d) Milton cannot swim.
3. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
(a) It is the Prohibition and alcohol was extremely expensive in the U.S.
(b) He doesn't want to have to pay high tariff fees by bringing the liquor over the border.
(c) It is the Prohibition. Distilling and selling liquor is illegal in the U.S.
(d) The liquor that he imports is not available in the U.S.
4. What does Lefty decide to do to earn money to support his family after Jimmy Zismo's death?
(a) Work at the Ford factory.
(b) Take over Jimmy's bootlegging business.
(c) Sell Jimmy's zebra skin rug.
(d) Open a bar, the Zebra Room, in his basement.
5. Which of the following factors complicates Tessie's relationship with Father Mike?
(a) They were engaged to be married years ago.
(b) Father Mike is married to Milton's sister.
(c) Father Mike is embarrassed he was not promoted to the head priest position in the church.
(d) Tessie does not like Father Mike's wife, Zoe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Pete encourage Tessie and Milton to do to ensure their baby will be a girl?
2. What happens to Jimmy on Lefty's and his last trip out to the lake?
3. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
4. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
5. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Calliope's birth?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)