|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, News of the World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lefty's actual motivation for going into town?
(a) To shop for groceries at the market.
(b) To court a woman he hopes to marry.
(c) To sell the silk cocoons at market.
(d) To visit a local bar and brothel.
2. What does Lefty decide to do to earn money to support his family after Jimmy Zismo's death?
(a) Sell Jimmy's zebra skin rug.
(b) Open a bar, the Zebra Room, in his basement.
(c) Take over Jimmy's bootlegging business.
(d) Work at the Ford factory.
3. What shocks Desdemona and Lefty about Sourmelina's husband, Jimmy Zismo?
(a) His dark skin.
(b) His religious beliefs.
(c) His wealth.
(d) His occupation.
4. Who does Desdemona hope that Milton will marry?
(a) Tessie Zismo.
(b) Zoe Stephanides.
(c) Julie Kikuchi.
(d) Gaia Vasilakis.
5. What does the narrator say makes him/her "the most famous hermaphrodite in history"?
(a) S/he has the brain of a boy, but was raised as a girl.
(b) S/he went to the doctor to have a sex change operation.
(c) S/he was studied by Dr. Luce.
(d) S/he lived as a girl but had the body of a boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who marries Lefty and Desdemona on the boat?
2. What happens to Milton as he is about to go into war that Desdemona believes is an answer to her prayers?
3. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
4. What does the narrator say his purpose for telling this story?
5. Which of the following adjectives best describes the scenes of Milton in Navy training?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)