|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Marriage on Ice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
(a) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy, but it is born a girl.
(b) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy and it is a boy.
(c) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl and it is a girl.
(d) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl, but it is born a boy.
2. Which of the following actions is NOT part of Lefty and Desdemona's plan to convince themselves and others that they are young lovers rather than brother and sister?
(a) They discuss their family tree as if they are learning it for the first time.
(b) They consummate their marriage in the life boat.
(c) They board the ship separately.
(d) They have chance meetings on the deck pretending to be getting to know each other for the first time.
3. What industry is the Temple No. 1 involved in?
(a) Tool and dye manufacturing.
(b) Raising silkworms and weaving silk fabric.
(d) Cigar rolling.
4. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
(a) All of their neighbors are leaving and they do not want to be left alone in the village.
(b) The advancing Turkish army.
(c) The advancing Greek army.
(d) The strong desire to join their cousin in America.
5. What is located in Desdemona's hope chest that she fears she will never use?
(a) A wedding dress.
(b) A corset.
(c) An olive wood silkworm box.
(d) A baby blanket.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Desdemona and Lefty move to when they arrive in the United States?
2. What happens to Jimmy on Lefty's and his last trip out to the lake?
3. What is unusual about Lefty and Desdemona's relationship?
4. What does Uncle Pete encourage Tessie and Milton to do to ensure their baby will be a girl?
5. What does Lefty resolve to do after his visit to the brothel?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)