|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Marriage on Ice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about Desdemona's presence on Hastings Street?
(a) Hastings Street is primarily a white neighborhood and Desdemona is black.
(b) Desdemona is dressed in traditional Greek clothing while everyone on Hastings Street is dressed in modern clothing.
(c) Hastings Street is primarily a black neighborhood and Desdemona is white.
(d) Hastings Street is a long distance from her home on Hurlbut.
2. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Milton's birth?
(a) Tell anyone that she and Lefty are brother and sister.
(b) Have another child.
(c) Predict the sex of an unborn child using her silver spoon.
(d) Care for Sourmelina's baby, Theodora.
3. Why did Sourmelina's parents send her to America?
(a) They could not find a man to marry her in Bithynios.
(b) They could not afford to support an unmarried daughter.
(c) She was caught in a scandalous affair with a woman.
(d) They wanted her to find fame and fortune in America.
4. To what religious faith does Stephanides family belong?
(a) The Church of Islam.
(b) The Roman Catholic Church.
(c) Greek Orthodox Church.
(d) The Presbyterian Church.
5. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
(a) The advancing Turkish army.
(b) All of their neighbors are leaving and they do not want to be left alone in the village.
(c) The advancing Greek army.
(d) The strong desire to join their cousin in America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Lefty give Desdemona for his trip into town?
2. What is the cause of Desdemona's heart palpitations?
3. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
4. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
5. What is unusual about Lefty and Desdemona's relationship?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)