|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Marriage on Ice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
(a) It is the Prohibition. Distilling and selling liquor is illegal in the U.S.
(b) He doesn't want to have to pay high tariff fees by bringing the liquor over the border.
(c) It is the Prohibition and alcohol was extremely expensive in the U.S.
(d) The liquor that he imports is not available in the U.S.
2. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
(a) The advancing Turkish army.
(b) The strong desire to join their cousin in America.
(c) The advancing Greek army.
(d) All of their neighbors are leaving and they do not want to be left alone in the village.
3. Which of the following actions is NOT part of Lefty and Desdemona's plan to convince themselves and others that they are young lovers rather than brother and sister?
(a) They discuss their family tree as if they are learning it for the first time.
(b) They board the ship separately.
(c) They have chance meetings on the deck pretending to be getting to know each other for the first time.
(d) They consummate their marriage in the life boat.
4. What helps narrator feel more masculine?
(a) A checked shirt.
(b) His full head of hair.
(c) Using urinals in the men's bathroom.
5. What does Uncle Pete encourage Tessie and Milton to do to ensure their baby will be a girl?
(a) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours before she ovulates.
(b) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours after she ovulates.
(c) Go to church and pray that they will have a baby girl.
(d) Use in-vitro fertilization.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements best describes Lefty?
2. What does the narrator say makes him/her "the most famous hermaphrodite in history"?
3. Why do Lefty and Desdemona know that they can trust Sourmelina to keep the secret that they are siblings?
4. Why does the silk Lefty sells in the market not earn much money?
5. What medical fact does Dr. Philobosian share with Desdemona that makes her worry about her pregnancy?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)