|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Marriage on Ice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements best describes Uncle Pete?
(a) A sweet natured priest.
(b) A self-made business man.
(c) A superstitious old man.
(d) An intellectual chiropractor.
2. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
(a) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl and it is a girl.
(b) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy and it is a boy.
(c) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl, but it is born a boy.
(d) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy, but it is born a girl.
3. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
(a) The Korean War begins.
(b) Her grandfather dies.
(c) Her grandfather has his first stroke.
(d) Callie's parents discover she has a rare genetic disorder.
4. How do Lefty's and Dr. Philobosian's paths cross?
(a) They are both are fleeing Turkey.
(b) They meet and strike up a conversation at a bakery in Smyrna.
(c) They are both digging through garbage bins looking for food.
(d) The doctor offers Lefty money and medical treatment while he is in Smyrna.
5. How is Lefty able to get he and Desdemona out of the burning city of Smyrna?
(a) He asks Dr. Philobosian to allow them to hide in his home.
(b) He pretends they are French citizens in order to gain passage on a departing boat.
(c) He hitchikes from the city into the mountains.
(d) He buys tickets on boat bound for Greece.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say his purpose for telling this story?
2. What causes conflict between Jimmy and Lefty?
3. What does Desdemona fear will happen to Lefty?
4. Which of the following factors complicates Tessie's relationship with Father Mike?
5. What does Desdemona do to help make the village girls more attractive to Lefty?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)