|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Marriage on Ice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Lefty's and Dr. Philobosian's paths cross?
(a) The doctor offers Lefty money and medical treatment while he is in Smyrna.
(b) They are both are fleeing Turkey.
(c) They are both digging through garbage bins looking for food.
(d) They meet and strike up a conversation at a bakery in Smyrna.
2. What does Desdemona do to help make the village girls more attractive to Lefty?
(a) She gives them sex lessons.
(b) She encourages them to practice personal hygiene.
(c) She teaches them to look like the girls in a lingerie catalog hidden in her father's dresser.
(d) She teaches them how to talk to a man in a seductive way.
3. What is the source of Dr. Philobosian's sadness?
(a) The other passengers are cruel to Dr. Philobosian because he is Armenian.
(b) His family was killed by the Turks.
(c) He had to leave his family behind in Turkey.
(d) He has no where to go when he reaches America.
4. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Milton's birth?
(a) Care for Sourmelina's baby, Theodora.
(b) Have another child.
(c) Tell anyone that she and Lefty are brother and sister.
(d) Predict the sex of an unborn child using her silver spoon.
5. What medical fact does Dr. Philobosian share with Desdemona that makes her worry about her pregnancy?
(a) Women must take folic acid to prevent birth defects.
(b) Birth defects in babies usually only occur when families intermarry.
(c) The baby will take on the traits of whatever picture a woman is looking at when the baby is conceived.
(d) Babies must be baptized while they are still in the womb.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Philobosian have that he believes will protect him from the Turks?
2. What play do the two couples go to see the night that their babies are conceived?
3. Why do Lefty and Desdemona know that they can trust Sourmelina to keep the secret that they are siblings?
4. What does Lefty decide to do to earn money to support his family after Jimmy Zismo's death?
5. Who is the narrator of the story?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)