|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Marriage on Ice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the source of Dr. Philobosian's sadness?
(a) He had to leave his family behind in Turkey.
(b) The other passengers are cruel to Dr. Philobosian because he is Armenian.
(c) He has no where to go when he reaches America.
(d) His family was killed by the Turks.
2. What does Desdemona's mother say is critical for encourage silk worms to produce good silk?
(a) A warm environment.
(b) Their caretaker's purity.
(d) Soft music.
3. What is the "maze" that Jimmy tells Lefty women should be "shut up in"?
(a) House work.
4. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
(a) It is the Prohibition and alcohol was extremely expensive in the U.S.
(b) The liquor that he imports is not available in the U.S.
(c) He doesn't want to have to pay high tariff fees by bringing the liquor over the border.
(d) It is the Prohibition. Distilling and selling liquor is illegal in the U.S.
5. What does Lefty resolve to do after his visit to the brothel?
(a) Tell Desdemona of his feelings for her.
(b) Leave Bithynios to immigrate to America.
(c) Marry a village girl and start a family.
(d) Attend the local Greek church more often.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desdemona keep in the silkworm box to predict the sex of a baby?
2. What helps narrator feel more masculine?
3. What does Lefty decide to do to earn money to support his family after Jimmy Zismo's death?
4. How is Lefty able to get he and Desdemona out of the burning city of Smyrna?
5. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)