|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Marriage on Ice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following factors complicates Tessie's relationship with Father Mike?
(a) They were engaged to be married years ago.
(b) Father Mike is married to Milton's sister.
(c) Tessie does not like Father Mike's wife, Zoe.
(d) Father Mike is embarrassed he was not promoted to the head priest position in the church.
2. What is unusual about Lefty and Desdemona's relationship?
(a) They have very different interests. Lefty likes the modern, city life while Desdemona is more traditional.
(b) They are pretending to be brother and sister, but are actually involved in a romantic relationship.
(c) They are sexually attracted to each other even though they are brother and sister.
(d) They live alone in their family home after their parents die.
3. What does Chapter Eleven do after the church service that shocks and frightens Tessie?
(a) He spills hot coffee on a little girl.
(b) He brings a dead bird into to show Father Mike.
(c) He shouts obscenities in the church.
(d) He climbs up on a chair in the reception room.
4. What is the "maze" that Jimmy tells Lefty women should be "shut up in"?
(c) House work.
5. Why does Jimmy Zismo need to smuggle alcohol into the U.S. from Canada?
(a) It is the Prohibition and alcohol was extremely expensive in the U.S.
(b) It is the Prohibition. Distilling and selling liquor is illegal in the U.S.
(c) He doesn't want to have to pay high tariff fees by bringing the liquor over the border.
(d) The liquor that he imports is not available in the U.S.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Calliope's birth?
2. What is the source of Dr. Philobosian's sadness?
3. Who is Lefty and Desdemona's sponsor for entry into America?
4. What does the narrator say his purpose for telling this story?
5. What does Lefty do while working on the assembly line at Ford that angers some of the other workers?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)