|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Marriage on Ice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
(a) A Bible passage forbidding incest.
(b) English phrases.
(c) A Bible passage about eunuchs.
(d) Passages from the Greek Bible.
2. Why does the silk Lefty sells in the market not earn much money?
(a) The merchants are poor and are unable to pay much for the silk.
(b) The silk is of poor quality and can only be used to make organzine.
(c) He brings the cocoons to market too late in the day.
(d) Desdemona does not give him enough cocoons to sell.
3. What does Lefty decide to do to earn money to support his family after Jimmy Zismo's death?
(a) Work at the Ford factory.
(b) Sell Jimmy's zebra skin rug.
(c) Open a bar, the Zebra Room, in his basement.
(d) Take over Jimmy's bootlegging business.
4. Why is Lefty fired from the Ford automobile company?
(a) He refuses to wear traditional Greek dress in the Ford English School pageant.
(b) He is living with a man who has a criminal record (Jimmy Zismo).
(c) His work is sloppy and inaccurate.
(d) He does not pass his English language exam.
5. What is unique about Calliope's fifth chromosome?
(a) It's structure causes her to have a birth defect.
(b) It produces an enzyme that prevents her from producing a certain hormone.
(c) It leads her to be a large baby.
(d) It impairs her brain development.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desdemona keep in the silkworm box to predict the sex of a baby?
2. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Calliope's birth?
3. Which of the following actions is NOT part of Lefty and Desdemona's plan to convince themselves and others that they are young lovers rather than brother and sister?
4. What is the "maze" that Jimmy tells Lefty women should be "shut up in"?
5. What industry is the Temple No. 1 involved in?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)