|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Marriage on Ice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Lefty fired from the Ford automobile company?
(a) He is living with a man who has a criminal record (Jimmy Zismo).
(b) He refuses to wear traditional Greek dress in the Ford English School pageant.
(c) His work is sloppy and inaccurate.
(d) He does not pass his English language exam.
2. What is located in Desdemona's hope chest that she fears she will never use?
(a) A baby blanket.
(b) An olive wood silkworm box.
(c) A corset.
(d) A wedding dress.
3. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
(a) A Bible passage forbidding incest.
(b) English phrases.
(c) Passages from the Greek Bible.
(d) A Bible passage about eunuchs.
4. What does the narrator say makes him/her "the most famous hermaphrodite in history"?
(a) S/he lived as a girl but had the body of a boy.
(b) S/he has the brain of a boy, but was raised as a girl.
(c) S/he went to the doctor to have a sex change operation.
(d) S/he was studied by Dr. Luce.
5. What condition must Desdemona meet to be hired by the Temple No. 1?
(a) She must demonstrate that she knows how to weave silk into fabric.
(b) She must pledge allegiance to their religious leader, Minister Fard.
(c) She must prove that she is capable of raising silk worms.
(d) She must convince them that she had black ancestors.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what religious faith does Stephanides family belong?
2. Why does the silk Lefty sells in the market not earn much money?
3. What play do the two couples go to see the night that their babies are conceived?
4. What happens to Jimmy on Lefty's and his last trip out to the lake?
5. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)