|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Silk Road.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
(a) Her grandfather dies.
(b) Callie's parents discover she has a rare genetic disorder.
(c) Her grandfather has his first stroke.
(d) The Korean War begins.
2. To what religious faith does Stephanides family belong?
(a) The Presbyterian Church.
(b) The Church of Islam.
(c) The Roman Catholic Church.
(d) Greek Orthodox Church.
3. How do Lefty's and Dr. Philobosian's paths cross?
(a) They are both are fleeing Turkey.
(b) The doctor offers Lefty money and medical treatment while he is in Smyrna.
(c) They meet and strike up a conversation at a bakery in Smyrna.
(d) They are both digging through garbage bins looking for food.
4. Which of the following actions is NOT part of Lefty and Desdemona's plan to convince themselves and others that they are young lovers rather than brother and sister?
(a) They have chance meetings on the deck pretending to be getting to know each other for the first time.
(b) They consummate their marriage in the life boat.
(c) They discuss their family tree as if they are learning it for the first time.
(d) They board the ship separately.
5. Who marries Lefty and Desdemona on the boat?
(a) A priest traveling on the Giulia.
(b) Dr. Philobosian.
(c) No one, they are not married until they reach America.
(d) Captain Kontoulis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements best describes Lefty?
2. What reason does Lefty give Desdemona for his trip into town?
3. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Calliope's birth?
4. What does Chapter Eleven do after the church service that shocks and frightens Tessie?
5. What does the narrator say makes him/her "the most famous hermaphrodite in history"?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)