|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Silk Road.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say his purpose for telling this story?
(a) To record the history of his genetic anomaly.
(b) To share his family history.
(c) To convince the reader to accept him.
(d) To explain why he is the way he is.
2. Which of the following actions is NOT part of Lefty and Desdemona's plan to convince themselves and others that they are young lovers rather than brother and sister?
(a) They discuss their family tree as if they are learning it for the first time.
(b) They consummate their marriage in the life boat.
(c) They have chance meetings on the deck pretending to be getting to know each other for the first time.
(d) They board the ship separately.
3. What does Desdemona fear will happen to Lefty?
(a) He will never marry and will die alone.
(b) He will marry a village girl and will leave Desdemona alone to care for the cocoonery.
(c) He will marry an unattractive Turkish woman.
(d) He will become a smoker and alcoholic.
4. What is the cause of Desdemona's heart palpitations?
(a) Stress over the Greek occupation of Turkey.
(b) Unproductive silkworms.
(c) Grief over the deaths of her parents.
(d) A rare genetic disorder.
5. Which of the following statements best describes Lefty?
(a) A jazz loving gangster.
(b) A cruel, abusive alcoholic.
(c) A traditional man in a modern town.
(d) A modern man in a traditional town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about Calliope's fifth chromosome?
2. How do Lefty's and Dr. Philobosian's paths cross?
3. What helps narrator feel more masculine?
4. What is Lefty's actual motivation for going into town?
5. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)