|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Silk Road.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Calliope's birth?
(a) Leave her ill husband alone.
(b) Speak to Tessie.
(c) Predict a child's sex.
(d) Attend church.
2. What does Uncle Pete encourage Tessie and Milton to do to ensure their baby will be a girl?
(a) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours before she ovulates.
(b) Go to church and pray that they will have a baby girl.
(c) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours after she ovulates.
(d) Use in-vitro fertilization.
3. How is Lefty able to get he and Desdemona out of the burning city of Smyrna?
(a) He asks Dr. Philobosian to allow them to hide in his home.
(b) He hitchikes from the city into the mountains.
(c) He pretends they are French citizens in order to gain passage on a departing boat.
(d) He buys tickets on boat bound for Greece.
4. What helps narrator feel more masculine?
(a) His full head of hair.
(c) Using urinals in the men's bathroom.
(d) A checked shirt.
5. What is the cause of Desdemona's heart palpitations?
(a) Unproductive silkworms.
(b) Grief over the deaths of her parents.
(c) A rare genetic disorder.
(d) Stress over the Greek occupation of Turkey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following actions is NOT part of Lefty and Desdemona's plan to convince themselves and others that they are young lovers rather than brother and sister?
2. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
3. To what religious faith does Stephanides family belong?
4. Why does the silk Lefty sells in the market not earn much money?
5. What is unusual about Lefty and Desdemona's relationship?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)