|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Silk Road.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Calliope's birth?
(a) Predict a child's sex.
(b) Speak to Tessie.
(c) Leave her ill husband alone.
(d) Attend church.
2. What does Desdemona fear will happen to Lefty?
(a) He will become a smoker and alcoholic.
(b) He will marry an unattractive Turkish woman.
(c) He will marry a village girl and will leave Desdemona alone to care for the cocoonery.
(d) He will never marry and will die alone.
3. How does Lefty manage to keep the men in the gaming room from stealing his winnings?
(a) He hides them in his sock.
(b) He loses them all in subsequent games.
(c) He flees from the gaming room and hides.
(d) He fights the men and wins.
4. What does Dr. Philobosian have that he believes will protect him from the Turks?
(a) Money to bribe the Turkish soldiers.
(b) A letter certifying that he treated the Turkish military leader.
(c) A successful medical practice.
(d) A letter certifying that he treated the Greek military leader.
5. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
(a) The advancing Turkish army.
(b) The advancing Greek army.
(c) All of their neighbors are leaving and they do not want to be left alone in the village.
(d) The strong desire to join their cousin in America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desdemona keep in the silkworm box to predict the sex of a baby?
2. What is unique about Calliope's fifth chromosome?
3. What does Desdemona's mother say is critical for encourage silk worms to produce good silk?
4. What is Lefty's actual motivation for going into town?
5. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)