|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Silk Road.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Calliope's birth?
(a) Leave her ill husband alone.
(b) Speak to Tessie.
(c) Predict a child's sex.
(d) Attend church.
2. What is located in Desdemona's hope chest that she fears she will never use?
(a) A corset.
(b) An olive wood silkworm box.
(c) A wedding dress.
(d) A baby blanket.
3. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
(a) Her grandfather dies.
(b) Her grandfather has his first stroke.
(c) The Korean War begins.
(d) Callie's parents discover she has a rare genetic disorder.
4. What does the narrator say his purpose for telling this story?
(a) To record the history of his genetic anomaly.
(b) To explain why he is the way he is.
(c) To share his family history.
(d) To convince the reader to accept him.
5. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
(b) Silkworm cocoons.
(c) Silkworm eggs.
(d) A silver spoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desdemona fear will happen to Lefty?
2. What reason does Lefty give Desdemona for his trip into town?
3. What is the source of Dr. Philobosian's sadness?
4. Who is the narrator of the story?
5. Which of the following statements best describes Lefty?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)