|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Silk Road.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the story?
2. What is the source of Dr. Philobosian's sadness?
(a) He has no where to go when he reaches America.
(b) The other passengers are cruel to Dr. Philobosian because he is Armenian.
(c) His family was killed by the Turks.
(d) He had to leave his family behind in Turkey.
3. Which of the following factors complicates Tessie's relationship with Father Mike?
(a) Father Mike is married to Milton's sister.
(b) Father Mike is embarrassed he was not promoted to the head priest position in the church.
(c) They were engaged to be married years ago.
(d) Tessie does not like Father Mike's wife, Zoe.
4. What does Desdemona's mother say is critical for encourage silk worms to produce good silk?
(b) Their caretaker's purity.
(c) Soft music.
(d) A warm environment.
5. Why does the silk Lefty sells in the market not earn much money?
(a) The merchants are poor and are unable to pay much for the silk.
(b) Desdemona does not give him enough cocoons to sell.
(c) The silk is of poor quality and can only be used to make organzine.
(d) He brings the cocoons to market too late in the day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Philobosian have that he believes will protect him from the Turks?
2. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
3. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
4. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
5. Who is Lefty and Desdemona's sponsor for entry into America?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)