|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Silk Road.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lefty's actual motivation for going into town?
(a) To sell the silk cocoons at market.
(b) To shop for groceries at the market.
(c) To court a woman he hopes to marry.
(d) To visit a local bar and brothel.
2. What does Dr. Philobosian have that he believes will protect him from the Turks?
(a) A successful medical practice.
(b) A letter certifying that he treated the Turkish military leader.
(c) A letter certifying that he treated the Greek military leader.
(d) Money to bribe the Turkish soldiers.
3. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
(a) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy and it is a boy.
(b) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl and it is a girl.
(c) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl, but it is born a boy.
(d) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy, but it is born a girl.
4. What is the cause of Desdemona's heart palpitations?
(a) Unproductive silkworms.
(b) Grief over the deaths of her parents.
(c) A rare genetic disorder.
(d) Stress over the Greek occupation of Turkey.
5. How is Lefty able to get he and Desdemona out of the burning city of Smyrna?
(a) He hitchikes from the city into the mountains.
(b) He asks Dr. Philobosian to allow them to hide in his home.
(c) He pretends they are French citizens in order to gain passage on a departing boat.
(d) He buys tickets on boat bound for Greece.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the story?
2. What is unusual about Lefty and Desdemona's relationship?
3. Who is Lefty and Desdemona's sponsor for entry into America?
4. What does Desdemona do to help make the village girls more attractive to Lefty?
5. What helps narrator feel more masculine?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)