|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Silk Road.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
(a) A Bible passage forbidding incest.
(b) Passages from the Greek Bible.
(c) A Bible passage about eunuchs.
(d) English phrases.
2. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
(b) Silkworm cocoons.
(c) A silver spoon.
(d) Silkworm eggs.
3. What helps narrator feel more masculine?
(b) Using urinals in the men's bathroom.
(c) His full head of hair.
(d) A checked shirt.
4. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
(a) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl and it is a girl.
(b) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy, but it is born a girl.
(c) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a boy and it is a boy.
(d) Desdemona predicted the baby would be a girl, but it is born a boy.
5. What does the narrator say makes him/her "the most famous hermaphrodite in history"?
(a) S/he was studied by Dr. Luce.
(b) S/he lived as a girl but had the body of a boy.
(c) S/he has the brain of a boy, but was raised as a girl.
(d) S/he went to the doctor to have a sex change operation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chapter Eleven do after the church service that shocks and frightens Tessie?
2. What does Lefty resolve to do after his visit to the brothel?
3. Why does the silk Lefty sells in the market not earn much money?
4. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
5. What does Desdemona's mother say is critical for encourage silk worms to produce good silk?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)