|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Silk Road.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the cause of Desdemona's heart palpitations?
(a) Unproductive silkworms.
(b) Stress over the Greek occupation of Turkey.
(c) A rare genetic disorder.
(d) Grief over the deaths of her parents.
2. What does Chapter Eleven do after the church service that shocks and frightens Tessie?
(a) He brings a dead bird into to show Father Mike.
(b) He spills hot coffee on a little girl.
(c) He climbs up on a chair in the reception room.
(d) He shouts obscenities in the church.
3. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Calliope's birth?
(a) Predict a child's sex.
(b) Attend church.
(c) Speak to Tessie.
(d) Leave her ill husband alone.
4. Which of the following statements best describes Uncle Pete?
(a) An intellectual chiropractor.
(b) A self-made business man.
(c) A sweet natured priest.
(d) A superstitious old man.
5. Which of the following factors complicates Tessie's relationship with Father Mike?
(a) Tessie does not like Father Mike's wife, Zoe.
(b) Father Mike is married to Milton's sister.
(c) They were engaged to be married years ago.
(d) Father Mike is embarrassed he was not promoted to the head priest position in the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
2. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
3. Which of the following actions is NOT part of Lefty and Desdemona's plan to convince themselves and others that they are young lovers rather than brother and sister?
4. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
5. What is located in Desdemona's hope chest that she fears she will never use?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)