|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Silk Road.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the source of Dr. Philobosian's sadness?
(a) The other passengers are cruel to Dr. Philobosian because he is Armenian.
(b) He had to leave his family behind in Turkey.
(c) His family was killed by the Turks.
(d) He has no where to go when he reaches America.
2. What does Uncle Pete encourage Tessie and Milton to do to ensure their baby will be a girl?
(a) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours before she ovulates.
(b) Go to church and pray that they will have a baby girl.
(c) Use a thermometer to predict Tessie's ovulation date and have sex 24 hours after she ovulates.
(d) Use in-vitro fertilization.
3. What does Desdemona's mother say is critical for encourage silk worms to produce good silk?
(a) A warm environment.
(b) Soft music.
(d) Their caretaker's purity.
4. Which of the following factors complicates Tessie's relationship with Father Mike?
(a) Tessie does not like Father Mike's wife, Zoe.
(b) Father Mike is embarrassed he was not promoted to the head priest position in the church.
(c) Father Mike is married to Milton's sister.
(d) They were engaged to be married years ago.
5. How does Lefty manage to keep the men in the gaming room from stealing his winnings?
(a) He loses them all in subsequent games.
(b) He flees from the gaming room and hides.
(c) He hides them in his sock.
(d) He fights the men and wins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desdemona do to help make the village girls more attractive to Lefty?
2. What is the cause of Desdemona's heart palpitations?
3. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
4. What is Lefty's actual motivation for going into town?
5. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)