|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Silk Road.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who marries Lefty and Desdemona on the boat?
(a) A priest traveling on the Giulia.
(b) Captain Kontoulis.
(c) Dr. Philobosian.
(d) No one, they are not married until they reach America.
2. What is located in Desdemona's hope chest that she fears she will never use?
(a) A baby blanket.
(b) A wedding dress.
(c) An olive wood silkworm box.
(d) A corset.
3. What does the narrator say makes him/her "the most famous hermaphrodite in history"?
(a) S/he has the brain of a boy, but was raised as a girl.
(b) S/he went to the doctor to have a sex change operation.
(c) S/he lived as a girl but had the body of a boy.
(d) S/he was studied by Dr. Luce.
4. What does Desdemona's mother say is critical for encourage silk worms to produce good silk?
(a) Their caretaker's purity.
(b) Soft music.
(c) A warm environment.
5. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
(a) The advancing Greek army.
(b) The advancing Turkish army.
(c) All of their neighbors are leaving and they do not want to be left alone in the village.
(d) The strong desire to join their cousin in America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lefty resolve to do after his visit to the brothel?
2. What does Desdemona do to help make the village girls more attractive to Lefty?
3. How is Lefty able to get he and Desdemona out of the burning city of Smyrna?
4. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
5. What is the source of Dr. Philobosian's sadness?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)