|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Silk Road.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Lefty's and Dr. Philobosian's paths cross?
(a) They meet and strike up a conversation at a bakery in Smyrna.
(b) The doctor offers Lefty money and medical treatment while he is in Smyrna.
(c) They are both digging through garbage bins looking for food.
(d) They are both are fleeing Turkey.
2. What is Lefty's actual motivation for going into town?
(a) To visit a local bar and brothel.
(b) To shop for groceries at the market.
(c) To sell the silk cocoons at market.
(d) To court a woman he hopes to marry.
3. Which of the following statements best describes Uncle Pete?
(a) A sweet natured priest.
(b) An intellectual chiropractor.
(c) A self-made business man.
(d) A superstitious old man.
4. What is the cause of Desdemona's heart palpitations?
(a) Unproductive silkworms.
(b) Stress over the Greek occupation of Turkey.
(c) Grief over the deaths of her parents.
(d) A rare genetic disorder.
5. What does the narrator say makes him/her "the most famous hermaphrodite in history"?
(a) S/he lived as a girl but had the body of a boy.
(b) S/he has the brain of a boy, but was raised as a girl.
(c) S/he was studied by Dr. Luce.
(d) S/he went to the doctor to have a sex change operation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lefty manage to keep the men in the gaming room from stealing his winnings?
2. Who is the narrator of the story?
3. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
4. To what religious faith does Stephanides family belong?
5. What does Desdemona fear will happen to Lefty?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)