|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Silk Road.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the cause of Desdemona's heart palpitations?
(a) Stress over the Greek occupation of Turkey.
(b) A rare genetic disorder.
(c) Unproductive silkworms.
(d) Grief over the deaths of her parents.
2. How do Lefty's and Dr. Philobosian's paths cross?
(a) They are both are fleeing Turkey.
(b) They meet and strike up a conversation at a bakery in Smyrna.
(c) The doctor offers Lefty money and medical treatment while he is in Smyrna.
(d) They are both digging through garbage bins looking for food.
3. What does Chapter Eleven do after the church service that shocks and frightens Tessie?
(a) He brings a dead bird into to show Father Mike.
(b) He shouts obscenities in the church.
(c) He spills hot coffee on a little girl.
(d) He climbs up on a chair in the reception room.
4. What is Lefty's actual motivation for going into town?
(a) To court a woman he hopes to marry.
(b) To sell the silk cocoons at market.
(c) To shop for groceries at the market.
(d) To visit a local bar and brothel.
5. What does Desdemona fear will happen to Lefty?
(a) He will marry an unattractive Turkish woman.
(b) He will marry a village girl and will leave Desdemona alone to care for the cocoonery.
(c) He will never marry and will die alone.
(d) He will become a smoker and alcoholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say makes him/her "the most famous hermaphrodite in history"?
2. What does the narrator say his purpose for telling this story?
3. What is unique about Calliope's fifth chromosome?
4. Which of the following statements best describes Uncle Pete?
5. What drives Desdemona and Lefty from Bithynios?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)