|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Silk Road.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the story?
2. Why does the silk Lefty sells in the market not earn much money?
(a) The silk is of poor quality and can only be used to make organzine.
(b) Desdemona does not give him enough cocoons to sell.
(c) He brings the cocoons to market too late in the day.
(d) The merchants are poor and are unable to pay much for the silk.
3. What tragic event occurs on the same day as Calliope's birth?
(a) The Korean War begins.
(b) Her grandfather dies.
(c) Callie's parents discover she has a rare genetic disorder.
(d) Her grandfather has his first stroke.
4. What does Dr. Philobosian have that he believes will protect him from the Turks?
(a) A letter certifying that he treated the Turkish military leader.
(b) A successful medical practice.
(c) Money to bribe the Turkish soldiers.
(d) A letter certifying that he treated the Greek military leader.
5. Which of the following statements best describes Lefty?
(a) A modern man in a traditional town.
(b) A jazz loving gangster.
(c) A traditional man in a modern town.
(d) A cruel, abusive alcoholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
2. How does Desdemona's prediction of the sex of the baby compare to it's actual sex?
3. What does Desdemona fear will happen to Lefty?
4. What reason does Lefty give Desdemona for his trip into town?
5. What does the narrator say his purpose for telling this story?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)